VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Capable Luxurious SUVs?

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-11-2019 08:45 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Bigger is better. Do you even murica, bro?
      God I try to so hard.

Please forgive me
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-11-2019 09:53 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Why? Just for the extra space or something else?
      Big V8. Top flight build quality. 25 year service life. More luxurious.

Vehicles
      01-11-2019 10:03 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Big V8. Top flight build quality. 25 year service life. More luxurious.

Well lets hope this car at my brother's store doesnt get sold
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      01-11-2019 10:24 PM #54
      I'm a big fan of the 120/150 and 100/200 series Toyota/Lexus SUVs, but go in knowing the infotainment system will not be cutting edge, the fuel economy is abysmal, and they drive like trucks (you may be used to this with the Jeep). If you're ok with that, then there is nothing not to love.

01-11-2019 10:32 PM #55
      A friend of mine purchased a brand new LX a few months ago. With the added bells and whistles, tax, etc it was ~$90k OTD. It's very nice, I'd take it over a RR Sport.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      01-12-2019 11:34 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by aging_fleet View Post
      I'm a big fan of the 120/150 and 100/200 series Toyota/Lexus SUVs, but go in knowing the infotainment system will not be cutting edge, the fuel economy is abysmal, and they drive like trucks (you may be used to this with the Jeep). If you're ok with that, then there is nothing not to love.
      This sums it up well.

I absolutely LOVE my GX but it's a truck chassis and gets mid teen fuel economy at best. It's also not very large inside, effectively a 4runner with a slightly taller roof (same chassis, different body) so it's not really a 7 seat SUV as advertised unless 5 of those passengers are under age 12 and not in car seats.

If you want more room get the LX, at the expense of a couple less empeegees. And 50% more money.

Vehicles
      01-14-2019 03:47 PM #57
      Small update

Well kinda switched it up a bit. Having put more thought into it, it seems the prefect car for me is WK2 JGC Overland or Summit. I prefer the Overland as it has a few "offroad" options you do not get on the Summit. The LX is just too big. I live basically in downtown Chicago and do not want to have the hassle of parking it on the street for half the year. The GX seems to be a great option, but my goodness is it ugly. And I still dont think I would get all of what I would want in it.

Anyone here have a higher mile 5.7 Hemi they can speak on? I hear they are really robust motors, and the 8 speed seemingly a great transmission. Any insight would be appreciated

Wish me luck going to a suburban domestic dealer, as it has been a long time since I bought a car from someone who isnt named Smooremin

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2019 03:50 PM #58
      Small update

Well kinda switched it up a bit. Having put more thought into it, it seems the prefect car for me is WK2 JGC Overland or Summit. I prefer the Overland as it has a few "offroad" options you do not get on the Summit. The LX is just too big. I live basically in downtown Chicago and do not want to have the hassle of parking it on the street for half the year. The GX seems to be a great option, but my goodness is it ugly. And I still dont think I would get all of what I would want in it.

Anyone here have a higher mile 5.7 Hemi they can speak on? I hear they are really robust motors, and the 8 speed seemingly a great transmission. Any insight would be appreciated

Wish me luck going to a suburban domestic dealer, as it has been a long time since I bought a car from someone who isnt named Smooremin
      Just make sure you get the 5.7L.

When you drive the V6 initially you think "this actually isn't that bad, I could live with this".

But that is incorrect.

You can not live with it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      01-14-2019 03:53 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Just make sure you get the 5.7L.

When you drive the V6 initially you think "this actually isn't that bad, I could live with this".

But that is incorrect.

You can not live with it.
      I only V8.

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2019 03:55 PM #60
      I only V8.
      Stop with the lies.

Lies. Lies. Lies.

Untitled by efrie004, on Flickr
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      01-14-2019 03:57 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Stop with the lies.

Lies. Lies. Lies.

Untitled by efrie004, on Flickr
      Well when it 2 spark plugs inevitably fail, itll once again be a factual statement

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      01-14-2019 04:12 PM #62
      Small update

If you need a guy, I bought from Wickstrom in Barrington, and they were great. A little far for you, but whatever. They basically just sell GCs and Wranglers to rich people who ride horses and treat their customers accordingly.

I also went to AH Jeep, and it was Bro-central and sucked donkey balls.

Chris at Wickstrom if he's still there
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      01-14-2019 04:15 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      If you need a guy, I bought from Wickstrom in Barrington, and they were great. A little far for you, but whatever. They basically just sell GCs and Wranglers to rich people who ride horses and treat their customers accordingly.

I also went to AH Jeep, and it was Bro-central and sucked donkey balls.

Chris at Wickstrom if he's still there
      Thanks for the referral.

They have two that are in the budget, but both have issues. One is right on in price, but has been in an accident and doesnt have that good of a service history (according to carfax) the other is a beige interior. I will NOT do beige. I will not buy a car solely because of that.

I will most definitely keep him in mind if they get something else

(do they have a customer referral program? If so, and I make a purchase, I will make sure you get what you are owed )

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      01-14-2019 04:24 PM #64
      Small update

Welp, I'm out of this one now.

All I can add is that if you go with a modern FCA product, keep it covered by factory warranty at any cost.

Vehicles
      01-14-2019 04:28 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Welp, I'm out of this one now.

All I can add is that if you go with a modern FCA product, keep it covered by factory warranty at any cost.
      Just looked up a platinum 3 year 36000 mile full coverage warranty, 850 bucks.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      01-14-2019 04:40 PM #66
      Just looked up a platinum 3 year 36000 mile full coverage warranty, 850 bucks.
      I would call that a wise investment.

The JGC is better than average for FCA reliability, but FCA's average reliability is pretty damn low so that's not really saying much.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      01-14-2019 05:05 PM #67
      Thanks for the referral.

They have two that are in the budget, but both have issues. One is right on in price, but has been in an accident and doesnt have that good of a service history (according to carfax) the other is a beige interior. I will NOT do beige. I will not buy a car solely because of that.

I will most definitely keep him in mind if they get something else

(do they have a customer referral program? If so, and I make a purchase, I will make sure you get what you are owed )
      No I get nothing, just had a great purchase experience and wanted to pass it along. I even left their little badge on my car because I was happy with them.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

19. Member
      Vehicles
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      01-14-2019 06:17 PM #68
      My 2011 Durango Hemi has 93k on it. Try to listen to it on cold start-up to see if it has an exhaust manifold leak. Mine has one, and from a read through the forums, it's not unusual for Hemis to develop the leak.

My radiator failed around 70k, also a relatively common problem. Water pumps aren't the most robust - my sister's '12 Durango lost its water pump around 40k.

Spark plug replacements - 2 per cylinder - are called for every 36k. The transfer case used to call for a special $$$$ OEM fluid, but they degraded that spec nowadays to regular transmission fluid. I had a non-start issue with the integrated power module, but a very well-publicized recall took care of that.

I can't speak to the durability of the ZF 8speed, as I have the ancient 5 speed. I had two driveshafts go out of balance (likely a support bearing, but they replaced the whole thing twice under warranty), getting about 30k out of each. The 8spd driveshaft doesn't do that, from what I've been told. I changed transmission fluid every 40k in mine; the second time, they found that the transmission pan was rusting from the inside. Nice.

It looks like A LOT of troubles are avoided if you skip the GC's air suspension. I would also get a 2016 or newer, just to avoid the horrible (and literally deadly) shifter in the 2014-2015 models.

I'm pretty much mentally done with mine. It's served its purpose - hauling my Airstream around, accounting for about 30% of its miles since new (I was often borrowing it from CR's test fleet, before I bought it for my own.) But now the bugs - that manifold leak, a heated seat module/some elements in the driver's seat don't work - are starting to wear me down. All of that said, it's been cheap enough to fix (I let the dealer do the work) and I might run it another year or so until I can sample all of the potential replacements.

EDIT: I should say this - for the life that my Durango has led (13k of fleet use and testing, then about 30k worth of towing a 5200 lb trailer), it's still pretty solid. Not too many squeaks and rattles, the hydraulic steering still feels taut, it's still quiet and strong. Despite the glitches, the engine doesn't regularly burn oil (a bit when towing) and the transmission shifts as smoothly as it did when new. Most of the gadgets - power lift gate, forward collision warning, blind spot detection, adaptive cruise - still work too.

Tom
      Last edited by mutcth; 01-14-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Vehicles
      an SUV, a car, and an old truck
      01-14-2019 09:36 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      My radiator failed around 70k, also a relatively common problem. Water pumps aren't the most robust - my sister's '12 Durango lost its water pump around 40k.
      My 2013 Hemi Citadel had its WP replaced at ~35k under warranty. I understand it is/was a fairly common problem...

Spark plug replacements - 2 per cylinder - are called for every 36k. The transfer case used to call for a special $$$$ OEM fluid, but they degraded that spec nowadays to regular transmission fluid. I had a non-start issue with the integrated power module, but a very well-publicized recall took care of that.
      The 2015+ models (IIRC) went to a 100k-mile plug interval. I looked into replacing my 30k plugs with the new ones at my first swap and decided the cost was a wash if I kept it that long, and if I traded out early, I’d be ahead. I’m on my 3rd set now but don’t foresee keeping it much longer.

I can't speak to the durability of the ZF 8speed, as I have the ancient 5 speed. I had two driveshafts go out of balance (likely a support bearing, but they replaced the whole thing twice under warranty), getting about 30k out of each. The 8spd driveshaft doesn't do that, from what I've been told. I changed transmission fluid every 40k in mine; the second time, they found that the transmission pan was rusting from the inside. Nice.
      I’ve always disliked the shift programming in my 5AT...my right foot and its brain don’t get along very well apparently. At part throttle, low speed, on an incline I generally either get a little less or way more acceleration than I want, the latter preceded by a very aggressive downshift. I think the 8ATs are much better, based on limited test drives and a lot of reading on the subject...but I could be wrong.
      --------
      blake
      2019 Honda Civic Si sedan
      2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450
      1962 Chevrolet C10 fleetside

Vehicles
      01-14-2019 09:43 PM #70
      Tom
      Quote Originally Posted by PeanutGallery View Post
      My 2013 Hemi Citadel
      Thanks for the info guys!!

I drove it. I really like it. Now I need to find one. It was interesting to be on the other side of the desk for a change and really puts into persepectinve how well I/we run our store. Its much, much different out there. I also was able to email the GSM to let him know I am one too and didnt want to mess around.

They claim the car I drove today is going to auction soon, maybe I will see what I can get it for.....

22. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2019 10:01 PM #71

I drove it. I really like it. Now I need to find one. It was interesting to be on the other side of the desk for a change and really puts into persepectinve how well I/we run our store. Its much, much different out there. I also was able to email the GSM to let him know I am one too and didnt want to mess around.

They claim the car I drove today is going to auction soon, maybe I will see what I can get it for.....
      As I told you earlier, the Overlands and Summit's I've been in, and SRT8, have been the closest to German quality I've seen from a domestic. I don't know how it'll hold up long term, but initial quality was definitely impressive.
      Instagram - efrie004

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      01-14-2019 10:07 PM #72
      The WK2 JGC is a good choice, just don't get an '11 or '12.
      I put 60k on a '11 JGC, I got rid of it in 2015 because of repeated electrical issues.
      That is the TPIM issue that only really affected the first year cars and it really sucks that I ended up with one of the few that had it.
      Get the V8 and tow package.
      It had the blend door fail in the AC system, and the leather of the driver seat had a hole in it from my average ass.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      01-14-2019 10:45 PM #73
      I really do like that generation of JGC. The dimensions are quite tidy and the Hemi power is great. I just don't trust any FCA product outside of warranty. I'm way too Toyota-spoiled for that.

25. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      North American German crap and German German crap
      01-14-2019 11:11 PM #74

When I buy the vapor ware A6 wagon from you in a few years, I’ll be getting the extended warranty and service plan thrown in, right? I mean, OT thread doesn’t lie.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

26. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      01-14-2019 11:21 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      When I buy the vapor ware A6 wagon from you in a few years, I’ll be getting the extended warranty and service plan thrown in, right? I mean, OT thread doesn’t lie.
      You still need to pay for the TruCoat. They cannot take it off.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast