VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TVS Stage 3 Supercharger Build

68K views 203 replies 30 participants last post by  DJNastie 
#1 ·
Current mileage 140,640 miles

Good morning everyone. As some of you might be aware my car is set to receive what I am told is the first TVS supercharger kit to be sold to a customer in the USA. The kit features a Rotrex C30-94 supercharger unit, air to air intercooler, injectors, head spacer and all install hardware. Software is typically included but because I am In the USA I have decided to stay with UM.

Install will be performed in my garage and work has already started on the engine. If you would like to see my original build thread please click here. Djnastie's Build Thread....Finally
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...tex.com/showthread.php?t=7875369&share_type=t
I will have to update the photos... thanks a lot photobucket..

So where do we stand today?

Engine is out of the car, accessory bracket off, Block is almost stripped completely.

Engine is about to hit the stand and I am going to install main studs, crank and rod bearings, rod bolts, front and rear seals, new chains, head spacer and valve springs are TBD at this time. Car already has schrick cams so I can’t wait to see what that will bring when the supercharger goes on!

Please pardon the messy garage.

Eta on the kit to arrive is early February at this time with the intent to go to Wookies this April with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#182 ·
Update

Mileage in the kit 4176 miles no issues.

Belt slip is there but belts are like $15 so I have like 10 on hand. Figured it’s going to be an annual service changing the belt on this car.

The pink pig wrap is gone! We are back to blue and there are several items on the agenda in the coming months.

First up - Brakes - since this car is running the Passat spindles and control arms BBK kits are hard to come by. Luckily Neuspeed has a solution so I will be installing this MASSIVE BBK in the coming weeks featuring 6 piston calipers and 370mm 2 piece rotors. ECS rotors will be coming off and available in the coming months. Also swapping over to RS3 dust shields because of the upgrade

Since the brakes are so massive…. This means the 17” wheels are going to be on the out. so we
Will be swapping to RSE102 in hyper black 19x8.5

Also going to swap to coilovers as well over the winter so I can corner balance the car.

Reactions: Puttguy and RRRRR32
#183 ·
Test fit the brakes!

Reactions: Puttguy and RRRRR32
#192 ·
Polished up a Mk4 valve cover for the time being. Going to be swapping those valve seals before a run on the bourbon trail in October.

So far oil consumption is slight better than before .5qt in 600 miles mostly highway driving

Car has 8500 miles on it since the build virtually all of that is trips to Wookies and highway driving.

Other than the valve seals which I’ll be doing in the next month or so, we are going to send the Rotrex for a low drag bearing upgrade, pulley coating and an upgraded impeller hoping to gain a few more PsI out it.

Lastly I am taking a vagcom dyno run with a grain of salt but below is what the car is reporting as torque values still impressive at an indicated 7.5psi

#50 ·

Brainstorming. Trying to figure out my plenum shape and ideal volume. Rule of thumb for a NA motor is intake volume should be at or close to displacement. Now that I’m Supercharged things are a little different. Runner length is less important and flow/volume become more important. I have been toying with the idea of unequal length runners to factor in the design of the VR6 head... [emoji848]. Huge props to @nubworks this is a solid kit!

Reactions: BHETT
#139 ·
#142 ·
Status update!

900 miles in and the car is doing great! Used an app to measure acceleration and over 4 runs logged the following:

4 run average on all categories
0-60 4.04 sec (best 3.96) / LC@3500rpm
0-80 7.3 sec
0-100 9.6
Quarter 12.2 @114

Don’t have a baseline prior but that’s booking it for a MKV!

I do have some minor oil leaks and I’m going to get rid of my E9 coolant reservoir it will be up for sale soon if anyone wants one (I have 2 available)

#167 · (Edited)
Unrelated to the supercharger build. Added a thunderbunny bumper and a gt500 hood vent which conveniently is right about where the air filter is located [emoji41]still working on final fitting of both. The plan is to also use the fog light holes for brake ducts

Reactions: RRRRR32
#170 ·
Just got back from Wookies in the woods 2022.

Notes:
  • all 3 US TVS engineering supercharged MKv cars were on hand.
  • 6800 total miles driven in 5 days on all 3 kits combined
  • other than some stretched belts due to aggressive driving all kits performed flawlessly!

#171 ·
ZoomZoom!

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

#174 ·
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

#184 · (Edited)
More updates!!!

Brakes are on! Wheels mounted and balanced super satisfied with how this turned out!

Also added in the last couple weeks was the ECS “duck tail” spoiler extension

Moving along, also received KW V2s, Neuspeed Front sway bar and finally after years of uncomfortable rides to Wookies…

Recaro sportsters!

Additionally
After discussing with the other 2 TVS supercharged mkv owners in the US we are going to try and swap out the intercooler that came with the kit wjth the treadstone TL8R which is optimized for low boost 6 cylinder setups

Reactions: Puttguy
#187 ·
Been waiting years for these!!! Finally in the recaro club

Reactions: Puttguy
#194 ·
I kind of like your valve cover all shiny like that! I was cleaning my bay with my new air compressor and blew the powder coating right off the depressed area near the coils. Three quarter size chunks flaked right off. I got some “Super Wrinkle” valve cover paint to redo the depressed area and the stuff didn’t wrinkle at all… Still looks OK with a different sheen. It will do till I can powder coat again this summer.

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJNastie
#195 ·
Hey Gang! Its been a hot minute since i had an update. Car has been great this past several months. We have added some bits over the course of the last couple of weeks!!!

Osir Gauge Pod -
  • Engine Oil temp gauge (Glowshift)
  • Transmission Temp gauge (Glow Shift)
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part

Bar-Tek DSG Filter housing with sensor port
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fluid Gas Automotive wheel system

CSF Engine Oil Cooler (#8119) With custom Fit AN Hoses

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel
Bottle Liquid Fluid Drinkware Tableware

Bottle Liquid Fluid Drinkware Tableware

Valvetronic Valve Muffler Assembly (TBI)
-
Been seeing alot of adds for these mufflers and they look impressive so i decided to pick one up and start working on a 3" Catback exahaust. So with this addition i will go from Lucifer Tubular manifolds to 2.75" to 3" Catback. I am workign on upgrading the collector on the Y pipe for the mainfolds to be 3" But that might take more effort than its work. This will replace the Milltek Non Resonated catback and at the push of a button turn the car into a completely straightpiped car.
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Attachments

#196 · (Edited)
Another Update -

The car just had a fantastic 1100 mile trip on the inagural "Wookiees and Whiskeys" with the The Barrel Rollers down on the bourbon trail in Kentucky. Oil Consumption seems to be getting a lot better and i only used a little less than 3/4 of a liter on the trip. The oil cooler performed amazingly and really kept the oil temps down! Was nice being able to keep tabs on the oil temps, pressure and DSG Temp as well. I will chalk the oil consumption progress to switching to Motul 8100 Xcess oil from Liquimoly and also allowing the car to reach full operating temp before getting under way. I have a feeling the IE Valve stem seals are a little less forgiving when cold so it was nice to see some progress there as at wookies last year i ate about 3 quarts of oil over the entire trip!

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

The Hippie wrap is coming off this weekend and the WITW24 wrap is going to be going on by the end of the month along with the Valvetronic exhaust that i will be having welded up by a local friend.

Also during this trip i will have to say im fed up with the performance of my headlights. Apparently the reflector housings erode over time and the output is greatly reduced... There were moments on this trip especially in the rain where i couldnt see anything out the front of my car. So as soon as i got to the hotel i found a great retrofit kit from the Retrofitlab.com for our cars and orderd some E46 projector housings and some new bulbs. Going to be throwing these in during the winter.

Audio equipment Table Computer keyboard Input device Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Circuit component Engineering

Once that is done the Supercharger is going to be coming out and sent to the UK for an upgraded impeller, low friction bearings and a larger 75mm pulley. Hoping to pick up a few PSI when all is said and done!
White Table Wood Serveware Beige

Wheel Automotive tire Electric fan Alloy wheel Rim

More updates to come int he coming weeks!

Attachments

#199 ·
Update-

Installed the new E46R projector upgrade into a second set of headlights I got from a friend.

Install was a breeze!

#200 ·
Got all my valve covers together WITW 22 (pink pig), WITW 23 (Hippie), WITW 24 (Wienertini)
Rectangle Textile Font Art Wood

#203 ·
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

More updates!

reinstalled the supercharger picked up about 3.5 psi out of the upgrade. Dyno session is scheduled for 3/5!

also just had a custom 3” exhaust fabbed up with only a borla XR1 muffler. This thing roars now!

#204 ·
Dyno day complete

Super satisfied and happy all the hard work and money has paid off. Link below to the dyno video
Dyno

But for those that don’t want to go to the video
347 AWPH / 299 AWTQ at 9.5 psi

Car Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

#4 ·
I completely agree. However...

The hard thing is to have anyone offer options/support for a ten year old car and an engine not on the mainline product road map any more.

VW has moved on to the EA888 as have tuning shops.

I wanted a setup from APR and they told me they no longer support the VR6. While you can probably get a tune from them for it. They're not going to lend much in the way of help if anything goes wrong and bolt on upgrades are out of the question. HPA will support tunes and turbo setups, they have a good reputation, but not as prevalent as United Motorsport, APR or even Cobb.

#6 ·
Talked to Duncan today couple oem parts are on back order. I don’t expect this car done before Wookies as I had hoped so I am shooting for summer of this year to have it up n running. I’m super excited about this tho as it haven’t had many updates the last month or so.

#7 ·

Parts are about to ship!