VWVortex.com - The 2020 Toyota Supra Is Finally Here With 335 HP, Does Zero to 60 in 4.1 Seconds
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Toyota Supra Is Finally Here With 335 HP, Does Zero to 60 in 4.1 Seconds

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-14-2019 02:52 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Unless it drives amazingly well, and it might--some cars just seem to get a pass for being "slow" or "cheap" for their price range based on how they drive. Of course, pretty much all of those cars are either mid-engine (4C, Cayman, Exige), or entry level (MX-5, BR-Z). $50k front-motor is just an extremely competitive segment for a performance car.
      True, which is why I'm holding back from judging anything with regards to driving. Again, for now judging from what I see, I'm not all that impressed, not for that price at least.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      01-14-2019 02:52 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Lukec436 View Post
      I can live with this Supra. I don;t mind it tbh. However if the new MR-2 (which is supposedly what this green hemorrhage is supposed to be) looks anything like this, I'll be saying goodbye to the Toyota I used to know and love for good
      No. S-FR is never intended to replace MR-2... it is more like the youngest/smallest Toyota sporty trio. It is more like a Toyota version of Honda S660 but coupe.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      01-14-2019 02:53 PM #103
      "We can't wait for this car to come out! We will buy them all!"

"Eww, it's German and it costs too much! No manuel!!!"
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      01-14-2019 02:56 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Lukec436 View Post
      I can live with this Supra. I don;t mind it tbh. However if the new MR-2 (which is supposedly what this green hemorrhage is supposed to be) looks anything like this, I'll be saying goodbye to the Toyota I used to know and love for good
      The green car is an homage to the S600, which was a VERY small version of the S2000.

You didn't know this, mr. Toyota fan?
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-14-2019 02:59 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      The green car is an homage to the S600, which was a VERY small version of the S2000.

On a side note I find it a bit funny that Toyota is making an homage to a Honda . That's like if Mercedes made an homage to the ur-Quattro .

Vehicles
      MIL Machine
      01-14-2019 03:01 PM #106
      The green car is an homage to the S600, which was a VERY small version of the S2000. You didn't know this, mr. Toyota fan?
      I indeed did not! Seen images of the 600 before but I had heard through the grapevine that the green thing was an early concept of the new MR-2. Considering how Toyota recently reclaimed the title "MR-2" again, I bought it. Glad its not the case though!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo II View Post
      On a side note I find it a bit funny that Toyota is making an homage to a Honda . That's like if Mercedes made an homage to the ur-Quattro .
      Hahah, Was thinking the same thing. My head kept flip flopping to the Honda S600 as well
      Last edited by Lukec436; 01-14-2019 at 03:04 PM.

8. 01-14-2019 03:02 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Yes, at the same rate as the RS/R/CTR/STI etc...They are selling very well.
      Yep. I live in the country so pickups are king and the local Nissan dealer consistently has 3 370Z's on the lot at a time, and they disappear at a surprisingly rapid rate.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      01-14-2019 03:03 PM #108

Um, that's a TOYOTA S600, not a Honda. the Honda S600 is this:

"Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

10. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MIL Machine
      01-14-2019 03:06 PM #109
      Um, that's a TOYOTA S600, not a Honda
      I'm starting to get really confused with all this flopping...
      Lets just set a common ground here and agree that the modern green hommage is nasty looking, jah?

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      01-14-2019 03:06 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      How are the Toyota faithfuls reacting to this car? I mean BMW platform, BMW engine, ZF8H automatic, BMW interior parts bin... and BMW did most of the design and engineering. Also there will be 4 cylinder version applied to the Supra name for the firs time (the 6 was what separated "Celica Supra" and Celica in the first place right?) Other than the badge this is really just a Z4 coupe. Is this what the Supra fans wanted/waited for for 20 years?
      No wonder I like it so much.

Sorry to be a bummer, but as much as I would love to I didn't say that
      No worries. We all know that Jen has lost some of her charm... (says the guy who just bought a Toyota)

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 01-14-2019 at 03:12 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-14-2019 03:07 PM #111

I feel stupid now, I knew about both of them, yet forgot that the Toyota S600 existed. For whatever reason whenever I hear S600 my first thought is the Honda. Have a laugh, some comedic relief won't hurt inbetween posts of disappointment .

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      01-14-2019 03:14 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      It's very ugly though.
      but that fits well with toyotas current design asthetic. more curves, more random bulges, more lighting stretching into weird corners.
      horrible. but thematically correct

14. 01-14-2019 03:16 PM #113
      So much whining from people that were never going to put money down on the car.

The styling is growing on me the more I look at it. Initially all the cut lines were a turn off but the overall shape is fantastic and i'm really warming to it. E85 M coupe esque. The interior looks good and well laid out and personally i'm glad they cribbed BMW parts - if you're going to pull from a parts bin that's one of the better ones and IMO better than Toyota's own.

Would you prefer they had taken the Corolla HVAC and infotainment instead?

I like it, and it's own my shortlist for my next purchase 3 years from now. Interested to see if they fold and bring out a manuel.

15. 01-14-2019 03:16 PM #114
      I would consider buying it. But how much do you want to bet Canuck pricing is $80k?

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-14-2019 03:18 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
      So much whining from people that were never going to put money down on the car.

The styling is growing on me the more I look at it. Initially all the cut lines were a turn off but the overall shape is fantastic and i'm really warming to it. E85 M coupe esque. The interior looks good and well laid out and personally i'm glad they cribbed BMW parts - if you're going to pull from a parts bin that's one of the better ones and IMO better than Toyota's own.

Would you prefer they had taken the Corolla HVAC and infotainment instead?

I like it, and it's own my shortlist for my next purchase 3 years from now. Interested to see if they fold and bring out a manuel.
      Whether or not someone is going to buy the car doesn't forbid them from having an opinion, does it?

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      01-14-2019 03:21 PM #116
      Umm... I believe you caused the confusion with this post:

Did you mean to say 2000GT?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS
      01-14-2019 03:24 PM #117
      Its neat. I'd hoped for it to be a bit lighter than whats been announced.. but look forward to having a chance to drive one at some point.

It'd be a hard sell for me over a 997.2 with a manual. Considering both can be had for the same 45-55k. If the car were at 3,000lbs or lighter with a manual gearbox I'd have to give it a serious look/consideration vs adding another 997.2. Either way, more cars like this is a good thing.

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-14-2019 03:26 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      No wonder I like it so much.

No worries. We all know that Jen has lost some of her charm... (says the guy who just bought a Toyota)

Haha. How did you already get the Supra?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      01-14-2019 03:27 PM #119
      Whether or not someone is going to buy the car doesn't forbid them from having an opinion, does it?
      Nope. I have opinions on lots of stuff I'll never buy. I love the LaFerrari, I hate the Hummer H2. Never ever will I be in the market for either.

Conversely there's plenty of stuff I have actually bought that I have no opinion on. Like my washing machine or my ceiling fan.

21. 01-14-2019 03:32 PM #120
      In Toyota's eyes, if you're not in the actual market, your opinion doesn't matter worth a squat.

In the rest of our eyes, you're just whining. What about the interior is lackluster, because it looks pretty fantastic and better than any Toyota product to me. What parts would you have subbed in for the BMW pieces to make it more toyota? Where would you source this higher power engine and how would you do all that while cutting the cost by 20%?

Ecoboost Mustang? You're comparing to a platform that will sell 10-20x what this will and an engine that is amortized over multiple nameplates. 370Z? You mean the worst sports car in America?

If this does drive anything like the Cayman it was benchmarked against, Toyota has a winner on their hands.

22. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MIL Machine
      01-14-2019 03:36 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Did you mean to say 2000GT?
      That solves that! I've got it all pieced together now. Thanks Mike!

23. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      01-14-2019 03:36 PM #122
      Ecoboost Mustang? You're comparing to a platform that will sell 10-20x what this will and an engine that is amortized over multiple nameplates.
      The Supra's engine also appears in the 2-series, 3-series, 4-series, 5-series, 6-series, 7-series, X3, X4, X5, X6, and Z4.

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      01-14-2019 03:42 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Nope. I have opinions on lots of stuff I'll never buy. I love the LaFerrari, I hate the Hummer H2. Never ever will I be in the market for either.

Conversely there's plenty of stuff I have actually bought that I have no opinion on. Like my washing machine or my ceiling fan.
      Exactly.

In Toyota's eyes, if you're not in the actual market, your opinion doesn't matter worth a squat.

In the rest of our eyes, you're just whining. What about the interior is lackluster, because it looks pretty fantastic and better than any Toyota product to me. What parts would you have subbed in for the BMW pieces to make it more toyota? Where would you source this higher power engine and how would you do all that while cutting the cost by 20%?

Ecoboost Mustang? You're comparing to a platform that will sell 10-20x what this will and an engine that is amortized over multiple nameplates. 370Z? You mean the worst sports car in America?

If this does drive anything like the Cayman it was benchmarked against, Toyota has a winner on their hands.
      Even if I was in the market right now ready to buy I doubt Toyota would care either way.

Like I said, interior and exterior looks are subjective. BMW parts bin is another story. Simple graphics changes in the infotainment system and few other tweeks here and there could have made it feel less like sitting in a Z4 with Toyota badges.

I'm comparing it to a car that is a fair competitor, front engined rear wheel drive sports coupe. Similar power output. 370Z was not my suggestion.

Except it won't drive all that much like Cayman most likely because of a different engine layout.

01-14-2019 04:00 PM #124
      Despite this sharing BMW corporate switchgear I really don't think this will feel like you're sitting in a Z4. This car has grown on me immensely in the last couple of weeks. I actually prefer the Supra interior.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      01-14-2019 04:09 PM #125

The market for this thing would be bigger if it were better. Someone who wants a better interior can get the 718 Cayman. Someone who wants more power can get... well, pretty much anything. "Where could they get a higher power engine", he whined. Umm, from BMW's parts box. They could have done the S55, just as they did in the M2. All the alternatives I've named cost the same.

Granted, Toyota and BMW basically have nothing to lose as this is a SWB G20 3 series which, unlike the Rustang, has not just an engine but a whole chassis amortized over BMW's whole future RWD lineup. But if that's the approach, what's the point? Should have just made a hardtop Z4. Oddly enough, this is basically what Nissan did with the Z, which is somehow the worst sports car in the world. (checks avatar again) Bias much?

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast