VWVortex.com - VW Drive Easy vehicle protection plan
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 12 of 12

    Thread: VW Drive Easy vehicle protection plan

    1. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2019
      Location
      NW Florida
      Posts
      54
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL FWD R-line 3.6L
      01-16-2019 12:07 AM #1
      I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 2019 Atlas. Our current vehicle was purchased new in 2003 - 15 years ago. This isn't an unusual length of time for us to own a vehicle, the one before hat had over 300,000 miles on her before we passed it on - I still see it around town now and then. Anyway, VW's 6-year/100k mile factory warranty might be the best in the business, but we are interested in purchasing the 10-year/150k mile Drive Easy plan because we plan on keeping the new Atlas as long as possible.

      So far, two dealers have told me they didn't offer this plan and another said they would start offering it this year. As far as cost to purchase goes, I have no idea what it will (or should) cost to add this plan to our purchase contract - like all things sold by the dealer, I'm sure there is a certain amount of negotiating room on the price. There are three different levels of protection available, Power-Train, Gold and Platinum with $100 and $250 deductibles.

      With the factory warranty still in full force on the Atlas, I know no one has had to use the Drive Easy plan, but if anyone in the industry or as a purchaser can share their knowledge or buying experience with the rest of us, please post.

      Thanks,

      TWs/VW

    2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member dr. pimento's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 22nd, 2006
      Location
      New York, NY
      Posts
      1,621
      Vehicles
      2016 Touareg
      01-16-2019 07:47 AM #2
      I think extended warranties are a good idea -- especially if you know you'll keep the car a long time and you know how much VW repairs cost.

      I bought an extended warranty on my 2016 Touareg (when the factory warranty from VW was 3 years/36K) and I don't regret it. I got a 7 year/100K (no deductible) warranty for $2,488.

      Troy Dietrich, who works at Father and Sons VW in W. Springfield MA sells these plans at a deep discount through his website http://fd-warranty.com/index.html

      This is not a scam. Check it out and contact Troy directly -- he's a real person and he sells a lot of policies...

      Good luck.

    4. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      1,573
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      01-16-2019 10:37 AM #3
      Take the cost of the plan and just stick in a basic investment account and you'll be covered when the factory B2B runs out. That's how I deal with this. I don't know why people would ever pay thousands now for something you won't use for 5 years. It could be a meme...."nervous to possibly have to pay thousands in repair bills in 5 years so pays thousands now".
      Last edited by KarstGeo; 01-16-2019 at 10:53 AM.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion

      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU

    5. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2019
      Location
      NW Florida
      Posts
      54
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL FWD R-line 3.6L
      01-16-2019 12:47 PM #4
      Anyone With actual knowledge regarding the VW Drive Easy vehicle protection plan, industry insiders, dealers, purchasers, etc., please share your insights...

      TWs/VW


      https://www.vw.com/financial-service...le-protection/

      A Vehicle Service Protection Plan delivers benefits beyond your factory warranty program, with coverage options for mechanical repairs that include parts and labor up to 10 years or up to 150,000 miles. Pay nothing on covered repairs other than the deductible you select.

      Additional benefits:
      •You’ll receive genuine Volkswagen parts and service for your vehicle
      •Nationwide service available at all participating Volkswagen dealers or other authorized service providers
      •24-hour Roadside Assistance with enhanced roadside benefits, including battery service, flat tire assistance, fuel or fluid delivery, and lockout assistance up to $100 per occurrence.
      •Towing reimbursement of up to $100 to your nearest Volkswagen dealer or authorized service provider
      •Rental car reimbursement up to $35 per day for up to 10 days if required
      •Trip interruption coverage up to $200 per day for a maximum of five (5) days if required for a total benefit of $1,000 per occurrence
      •Deductible options of $0, $100 disappearing, $100, and $250 per visit
      •Transferable for a $50 fee if you sell your vehicle to a private party
      •Cancelable at any time; after 30 days, subject to a $50 fee

      Exclusions:
      •Mechanical breakdowns covered by your vehicles’ manufacturer’s warranty
      •Mechanical breakdowns caused by accident, collision, vandalism, or weather-related conditions
      •Mechanical breakdowns caused by lack of maintenance or pre-existing conditions

      Download Brochure: https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom...CBR_180410.pdf

    6. n00b
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 2013
      Posts
      7
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2016 Golf Sportwagen
      01-17-2019 12:11 PM #5
      hi TW I purchased a DE Warranty several years ago for my 2007 3.6 Passat Wagon just before the original warranty expired. The warranty worked perfectly. I purchased it for one reason ,because that model year car was known for a defect with an Oil Pump bolt . The bolt would fail and catastrophic engine damage would occur costing several thousand to repair. Sure enough shortly after the Drive Easy warranty kicked in the bolt failed and thus I saved a lot of money . It also covered several other items including two fuel pumps. That being said, I have owned several other VWs and have not purchased the warranty. In my opinion it only makes sense if you know there will be a good chance of numerous high $ expenses. If I owned a Touareg, for example, I would buy one. Especially given the 6 year 72k mile warranty I would wait until just before your warranty expires to purchase the extended warranty. I think you can still purchase it anytime before your warranty expires. Why give VW your money possibly 6 years in advance? Wait to make the decision until you know you will continue driving the car past the 6 year 72k mile period. The way technology is headed, by that time in the future, I can imagine many will be excited to switch to an electric vehicle. Good luck.

    7. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      1,573
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      01-17-2019 02:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by twowagons View Post
      hi TW I purchased a DE Warranty several years ago for my 2007 3.6 Passat Wagon just before the original warranty expired. The warranty worked perfectly. I purchased it for one reason ,because that model year car was known for a defect with an Oil Pump bolt . The bolt would fail and catastrophic engine damage would occur costing several thousand to repair. Sure enough shortly after the Drive Easy warranty kicked in the bolt failed and thus I saved a lot of money . It also covered several other items including two fuel pumps. That being said, I have owned several other VWs and have not purchased the warranty. In my opinion it only makes sense if you know there will be a good chance of numerous high $ expenses. If I owned a Touareg, for example, I would buy one. Especially given the 6 year 72k mile warranty I would wait until just before your warranty expires to purchase the extended warranty. I think you can still purchase it anytime before your warranty expires. Why give VW your money possibly 6 years in advance? Wait to make the decision until you know you will continue driving the car past the 6 year 72k mile period. The way technology is headed, by that time in the future, I can imagine many will be excited to switch to an electric vehicle. Good luck.
      Sage advice.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion

      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU

    8. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2019
      Location
      NW Florida
      Posts
      54
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL FWD R-line 3.6L
      01-17-2019 03:23 PM #7
      Thank you for that. I really would like to postpone purchasing the plan, but I'm just not sure it will be offered in the future - I'm also pretty sure the price will go up, maybe allot - the Atlas is still an unproven commodity. That being said, your advise is very sound.

      If anyone can give us an idea on the cost, dealer profit margin, etc., for the VW Drive Easy plan in its various forms, i.e., Power-Train, Gold and Platinum with $0, $100 and $250 deductibles, please post. I'd like to know what to expect when I sit down and they start toughing numbers at me.

      TWs/VW

    9. Member KarstGeo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2018
      Location
      Richmond, VA area
      Posts
      1,573
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      01-17-2019 09:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by TWs/VW View Post
      Thank you for that. I really would like to postpone purchasing the plan, but I'm just not sure it will be offered in the future - I'm also pretty sure the price will go up, maybe allot - the Atlas is still an unproven commodity. That being said, your advise is very sound.

      If anyone can give us an idea on the cost, dealer profit margin, etc., for the VW Drive Easy plan in its various forms, i.e., Power-Train, Gold and Platinum with $0, $100 and $250 deductibles, please post. I'd like to know what to expect when I sit down and they start toughing numbers at me.

      TWs/VW
      Ext. warranties are always negotiable. Their initial showing will be at the crazy high list price (kind of like the sticker price on a car). I'd take whatever they tell you and offer them 1/2. There is a ton of profit in all ext. warranties/service contracts. Good luck!
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion

      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2005
      Location
      The Niagara Frontier
      Posts
      467
      Vehicles
      2016 Touareg TDI Exec, 2016 Audi A6 Prestige, 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible
      01-18-2019 02:33 PM #9
      I had good success with VW Drive Easy years ago. I put it on a 2005 Touareg which even the "never buy an extended warranty" crowd might agree was a prudent move. Paid for itself over the lifetime of my car. Recently I looked at them for a 2016 Toaureg TDI and their pricing was outrageous (about 9000.00 US).

      There were tricks to the trade, though:

      Price is negotible. As advised above, offer half. Good starting point anyway.

      Potentially there is a lot of dealer finance margin in these things, and they'll all honor one, so shop around. Soemone earlier posted his contact. I bought mne from a guy in anpther state that didn't tax me on it! (Winning!)

      You used to be able to buy it at different prices based on mileage and length.

      As a negative, the Drive Easy, if signed up for on Day One, usurped the warranty...it did not accrue necessarily. The sweet spot for me was to buy it at 9999 miles....that was the best intersection between cost/length of warranty

      Note: Also, I don't believe they use the same underwriters as they did before.

      GLW decision. Hope this historical perspective helps.
      Last edited by Jimbuffalo; 01-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.

    11. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2019
      Location
      NW Florida
      Posts
      54
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL FWD R-line 3.6L
      01-18-2019 05:16 PM #10
      Thank you. You pointed out something interesting "if signed up for on Day One, usurped the warranty...it did not accrue necessarily". The brochure (link below) states the following:

      "Vehicle Service Protection coverage runs concurrently with any applicable manufacturer's warranty. In-Warranty plan expiration is measured in time/miles from the Manufacturer’s Original In-Service Date and zero (0) miles. Out-of-Warranty plan expiration is measured in time/miles from Agreement Purchase Date and the Current Odometer Reading."

      https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom...CBR_180410.pdf

      So how, if at all, does the VW Drive Easy vehicle protection plan affect VW's Original Factory coverage?

      TWs/VW

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2005
      Location
      The Niagara Frontier
      Posts
      467
      Vehicles
      2016 Touareg TDI Exec, 2016 Audi A6 Prestige, 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible
      01-19-2019 12:22 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TWs/VW View Post
      Thank you. You pointed out something interesting "if signed up for on Day One, usurped the warranty...it did not accrue necessarily". The brochure (link below) states the following:

      "Vehicle Service Protection coverage runs concurrently with any applicable manufacturer's warranty. In-Warranty plan expiration is measured in time/miles from the Manufacturer’s Original In-Service Date and zero (0) miles. Out-of-Warranty plan expiration is measured in time/miles from Agreement Purchase Date and the Current Odometer Reading."

      https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom...CBR_180410.pdf

      So how, if at all, does the VW Drive Easy vehicle protection plan affect VW's Original Factory coverage?

      TWs/VW
      See what the F&I guy who wants to sell you the package has to say.

      I am not in the market nor pay attention to the Atlas, but if the Atlas has a 72000 mile factory warranty....and you are buying a 120,00 mile coverage plan, you get 120,000 miles coverage for whatever the cost is to you,,,in effect another 48000 mile coverage....and NOT 192,000 miles.

      Another question to ask is what happens to the Xwarranty if you trade in the car.

      I get the idea of peace of mind, I get the idea of buying cars and holding on to them...but neither goal actually ever happens. Either cars don't last 15 years or you get bored with it/your needs change before then.

      Find out what the cost differences are if you buy the X-Warr with 0 miles vs. 72000 miles. My guess is that there will be limits for contracts purchased at 72000 miles...you might be able to get 4 yr 48000 miles...a true "extended" warranty. This will get you to the same theoretical target of 120,000 cited earlier.

      Make the F&I guy earn his commissions

    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2019
      Location
      NW Florida
      Posts
      54
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL FWD R-line 3.6L
      02-16-2019 02:33 AM #12
      After much negotiating, almost a full month, I managed not only to learn what the actual Dealer Cost was, but I was also able to purchased the plan at that price.

      Now I can't say for sure that all Dealerships receive the same pricing from the Obligor (VW Credit), but hear it is...so don't let those Finance guys take advantage of you...

      VW Drive Easy (Platinum), 10 year/150k miles, $100.00 Deductible - Dealer Cost = $2,860.00

      TW

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •