Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: All-New Volkswagen Golf MKVIII Is Nabbed In The Nude

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      10-30-2019 11:00 PM #851
      I think the Golf looks great. I see a bit of Renault type design cues, which is a good thing as Renaults look great. I really like the muscular crease on the hood. I imagine the GTi/GolfR will look great.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      10-31-2019 11:57 AM #852
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      I think the Golf looks great. I see a bit of Renault type design cues, which is a good thing as Renaults look great. I really like the muscular crease on the hood. I imagine the GTi/GolfR will look great.
      I too like this new design. I think it looks cleaner in the front than the current model.
      Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      10-31-2019 12:43 PM #853
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      The iD3 is gonna have the same ugly quasi crossover proportions as other EVs like the Leaf and Bolt

To me, if I have to choose, give me good proportions over good details any day. Plus the MK8 really isn't that bad
      Cars with incremental styling upgrades like the Golf, 911, Wrangler and Vette suffer from fans of previous generations wanting to piss on whatever new models come along.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-31-2019 02:42 PM #854
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Cars with incremental styling upgrades like the Golf, 911, Wrangler and Vette suffer from fans of previous generations wanting to piss on whatever new models come along.
      Indeed. I think the new car looks great. At least on the outside. It's only that dash that has me recoiling.

I mean, the way they're acting you'd think it was 1968 again where they put the big gnarly squared-off bumpers and big taillights on the Beetle. And that fuel filler flap. The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

6. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      10-31-2019 02:50 PM #855
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Indeed. I think the new car looks great. At least on the outside. It's only that dash that has me recoiling.

I mean, the way they're acting you'd think it was 1968 again where they put the big gnarly squared-off bumpers and big taillights on the Beetle. And that fuel filler flap.
      So you admit VW has done this before? Excellent.

It isn't the elephant man of cars. It strikes my eye as a slightly better, slightly larger Polo.

The iD3 is gonna have the same ugly quasi crossover proportions as other EVs like the Leaf and Bolt

To me, if I have to choose, give me good proportions over good details any day. Plus the MK8 really isn't that bad
      Looks like VW has its new marketing copy.
      Last edited by zukiphile; 10-31-2019 at 02:56 PM.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Vehicles
      2014 Porsche 991 Turbo S, 2018 Audi SQ5, 2015 Mercedes S550 4-matic, 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback
      10-31-2019 05:13 PM #856

8. Member
      10-31-2019 05:46 PM #857

ID3 vs MkVII, to get an idea of the proportions:

9. 10-31-2019 06:53 PM #858

The local VW dealer would totally work that into his TV spot:

"Come on down to the loneliest dealer in town, the MK8 is here, it really isn't that bad and we're dealin'."

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      11-02-2019 11:49 AM #859
      Quote Originally Posted by EKaru View Post

Which yellow is the show car. It doesn't look like kurkuma.

11. 11-18-2019 01:17 PM #860
      Reading the Autocar article, did I miss a mention of a manual transmission option in some trim level, particularly GTI or R?

Maybe I'm sensitive because I was at the Volkswagen corporate showroom on Unter den Linden last week and my question on this topic didn't get an enthusiastic "of course!"
      Last edited by Unk; 11-18-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      11-26-2019 01:57 PM #862
      Do we have any sense of when the GTI/R might be unveiled? I've seen general statements about next year, but nothing specific. Seems like it might be a long while before those two go on sale in the U.S.

13. 11-26-2019 02:00 PM #863
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      GTI Testing pics

That hood in profile looks like a protruding forehead. And the rear of it protrudes a bit too much. That's a fat Azze, not a phat Azze.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT, 1997 VW Golf 5MT, GF's 2008 Rabbit Auto
      11-26-2019 02:12 PM #864
      As a Mk3/Mk5/Mk6 owner... I don't like the headlights. I also think the Mk7 "angry headlights" only work on the R front-end, but apparently that isn't a very popular opinion. I also think the grill is too small on the Mk8. Oh, and they're probably not final, but if they are, those might be the ugliest GTI wheels in history. I've already admitted it though... If a Mk8 GTD came to the US, I'd hop on one so fast.

Oh, and I'd keep my red Golf tradition going for sure Definitely at its sexiest in red.
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT - 165k - Things wrong 0 -
      1997 Golf 5MT 4 Door - Things wrong - A lot - (project)
      Fiancee's 2008 Rabbit 4 door Tiptronic - 184k - Things wrong 0
      Insta

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      11-26-2019 02:23 PM #865
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Yossarian View Post
      Do we have any sense of when the GTI/R might be unveiled? I've seen general statements about next year, but nothing specific. Seems like it might be a long while before those two go on sale in the U.S.
      They will go on sale in the US during the second half of 2021.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      11-26-2019 02:27 PM #866
      1st Drive

The superiority of the Golf over its volume market hatchback rivals may not be quite as marked as it once was. But this new model has managed to raise the game and distance itself from the competition.

It betters its predecessor in a number of key areas, delivering a familiar range of qualities bundled together with newfound dynamic attributes and new age digital and connectivity functions.

The attention to detail in its engineering gives the new Volkswagen an immediate feeling of deep-seated integrity from the very first mile. The added performance and refinement from the electrified drivetrain and inherent maturity and resolved qualities of its chassis make it a highly gratifying car to drive on just about any road and in any environment.

If Volkswagen's claims are to be believed it is also significantly more efficient, with improved fuel economy and fewer emissions than ever before no matter what model you choose.

And the interior? Although highly contemporary in appearance and a clear advance in ergonomics, I suspect it might prove a step too far down the digital road for many potential customers. It will no doubt appeal to younger buyers, but the execution and design run counter to the simple and straightforward traits that have traditionally made the Golf so popular. But that's something that can only be judged over time.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...lf-2020-review

Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      11-26-2019 02:43 PM #867
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      They will go on sale in the US during the second half of 2021.
      My motivation to find a 2017/2018 R to enjoy for a couple of years just went up.

Vehicles
      GTI
      11-26-2019 03:06 PM #868
      I still don't like how VW keeps doing this with infotainment screens:
      The area ahead of the driver is dominated by a 10.3-in digital instrument cluster with either a 8.25in or optional 10.0in central touchscreen for the infotainment functions. Together with a new multi-function steering wheel, they form a vastly different driving environment than that of previous incarnations of the Volkswagen best seller – one, that is appealingly functional the moment you begin to poke around.
      If they are that important in the functions of the climate control and other options in the car make it all the 10" so it's easier to find and adjust. Especially because of this…
      There are very few physical buttons. All the major controls, including for the ventilation and driving modes, are housed within a touch-sensitive panel below the central display. A 'slider' is used to regulate various functions, including the volume. Its clearly meant to mimic the swipe of a smartphone, but is a bit hit and miss. As an alternative, Volkswagen offers a voice control system.
      This is crap too. Capacitive buttons and sliders are junk. The hit or miss is the worst part of those types of controls it means you have to focus on using them which is a distraction.

19. 11-26-2019 03:09 PM #869
      Those pics make me love my mk7 more and more.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      11-26-2019 03:18 PM #870
      I've never heard a single person complain about having to use a switch or knob to change AC, ever.

These "screen all the things" are simply product planners trying to be trendy at all costs.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT, 1997 VW Golf 5MT, GF's 2008 Rabbit Auto
      11-26-2019 03:30 PM #871
      Agree with the earlier mentioned comments on capacitive buttons and such. I like redundancy with HVAC and radio controls. My Mk6 has physical buttons for HVAC and radio. Radio can be controlled by steering wheel, buttons, or touch screen. Tesla with the huge screen controlling everything is just like Apple and the headphone jack in my opinion. Don't remove things for an "alternative." Add the additional functions and keep the original.
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT - 165k - Things wrong 0 -
      1997 Golf 5MT 4 Door - Things wrong - A lot - (project)
      Fiancee's 2008 Rabbit 4 door Tiptronic - 184k - Things wrong 0
      Insta

22. 11-26-2019 04:09 PM #872
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I've never heard a single person complain about having to use a switch or knob to change AC, ever.

These "screen all the things" are simply product planners trying to be trendy at all costs.
      I agree that there is some simple functions that when driving, a knob is easier to adjust while keeping your eyes on the road.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI SE
      11-26-2019 04:31 PM #873
      My MK7.5 has been flawless so far and will not be being replaced any time soon! I really see nothing here that is exciting or captivating. The new hood and lower bumper looks pretty strange!
      Thru My Eyes: Nicholas James Photography | Instagram

Contact me for photos shoots in the Los Angeles/OC area.

P A L E S T A R

24. 11-26-2019 05:51 PM #874
      I wonder how good the voice recognition is on the new Golf? In my ancient 2016 Ford with Sync3 it has trouble recognizing my favorite Japanese restaurant, Ichibahn when calling in an order.

I imagine we're going to go through many iterations of car touch screen interfaces before the industry gets it completely right. They'll unfortunately learn what works well and what doesn't by customer complaints and/or lost sales, we'll be the guinea pigs until it gets sorted.

There's no denying that touchscreens can be useful, it's just where do draw the line and add a button or knob for certain functions. They have to keep it simple, the more complex the use the more distracting it becomes.

Vehicles
      GTI
      11-26-2019 06:00 PM #875
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I wonder how good the voice recognition is on the new Golf? In my ancient 2016 Ford with Sync3 it has trouble recognizing my favorite Japanese restaurant, Ichibahn when calling in an order.

I imagine we're going to go through many iterations of car touch screen interfaces before the industry gets it completely right. They'll unfortunately learn what works well and what doesn't by customer complaints and/or lost sales, we'll be the guinea pigs until it gets sorted.

There's no denying that touchscreens can be useful, it's just where do draw the line and add a button or knob for certain functions. They have to keep it simple, the more complex the use the more distracting it becomes.
      VW did partner with Amazon so it should be Alexa for the voice recognition. Still not sure how good it will be. I use Alexa with my Fire Stick and it's pretty crappy.

Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast