Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: All-New Volkswagen Golf MKVIII Is Nabbed In The Nude

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      05-15-2019 04:19 PM #401

Comparing the sketch to the test mule: the sketch shows what looks like a seamless curved glass panel that flows from the center stack through the cluster to the panel to the left of the steering wheel. The mule shows some black plastic that awkwardly frames the panels. I've been wrong before, but I'm betting the black plastic frames will be removed and there will be a flowing glass or plastic panel that connects and covers them all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      05-15-2019 11:24 PM #402
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post

Comparing the sketch to the test mule: the sketch shows what looks like a seamless curved glass panel that flows from the center stack through the cluster to the panel to the left of the steering wheel. The mule shows some black plastic that awkwardly frames the panels. I've been wrong before, but I'm betting the black plastic frames will be removed and there will be a flowing glass or plastic panel that connects and covers them all.
      I see two panels in the sketch. Look at the lines of the steering wheel, they appear to line up with the split which is why it is somewhat hidden in the sketch.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      05-16-2019 04:52 AM #403
      that's fuken horrible. lol

is this supposed to be an upgrade over the last one? i used to like volkswagen interiors and gauge clusters.

i wonder if they'll put a touch screen in the mk9 for your air vent adjustments, glovebox button and mirror controls.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Vehicles
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      05-16-2019 05:26 AM #404
      I see promise lol. VW interiors have been pretty much the same design for a while. I think it's time to change things up.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
      PREVIOUS: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT, 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium, 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      05-16-2019 05:37 AM #405
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      I see promise lol. VW interiors have been pretty much the same design for a while. I think it's time to change things up.
      i don't mind an upgrade, but a screen is probably the worst & cheapest attempt towards an upgrade. how many screens are we going to install in every tool, appliance, toy and piece of furniture until we say "alright lets stop this bs."

besides, so many people work in front of a screen (or 2 or 3) all day long. Do you really need 2 more in your car?
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Vehicles
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      05-16-2019 05:53 AM #406
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      i don't mind an upgrade, but a screen is probably the worst & cheapest attempt towards an upgrade. how many screens are we going to install in every tool, appliance, toy and piece of furniture until we say "alright lets stop this bs."

besides, so many people work in front of a screen (or 2 or 3) all day long. Do you really need 2 more in your car?
      You know why screens are in cars already. I know you don't like the trend, sure, but you already know why it's such.

Manufacturers of tech will continue to put screens everywhere because it's cheap to code a program that controls infinite amounts of functions verses the limited amount of space for physical controls.

Honestly, I like my car touch screen simply for the ability it gives me to customize different settings. As a web developer by career, I get burying a bunch sub menus for changing ambient colors, looking at cheesy graphs and adjusting equalizer settings. I don't like that in the JGC my heated seats and climate controls are within the touch screen sub menus. There is still a place for physical controls. But there is also a place for a touch screen.

And... I prefer digital (customizable) instrument panels over traditional analog gauges. Just feels... futuristic lol.
      ||||||||||||||
      PREVIOUS: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT, 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium, 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      05-16-2019 07:44 AM #407
      Until there is a Golf VIII sub forum, and at the risk of Vegeta-rage:

Probably old news to most you.

What some sites are saying is the new interior.
      Looks to me like the the upper dash soft-touch area still needs another revision over the gauge cluster.

https://www.motor1.com/news/349827/v...ed-first-time/

If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-16-2019 07:49 AM #408
      There is still a place for physical controls. But there is also a place for a touch screen.
      Right, which is why moving to all touch controls = a bad thing. Your future seems to be one where humans dig through sub menus to adjust their seats. VW can put these huge screens in and still keep important physical controls, but it doesn't seem like they are.

10. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      337 GTI
      05-16-2019 08:12 AM #409
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Right, which is why moving to all touch controls = a bad thing. Your future seems to be one where humans dig through sub menus to adjust their seats. VW can put these huge screens in and still keep important physical controls, but it doesn't seem like they are.
      I know for a fact that Honda was heading in this direction, but realized their error and fixed it a bit.

The fact that on the Civic SI, the volume knob was non existent and instead in the form of a little slider thing that was unresponsive and annoying was simply the worst. But as stated, they fixed this and implemented an actual knob in future models.

That push towards touch everything is seriously the worst, and it’s simply a way for manufacturers to appear more technologically advanced and ‘in with the times’. I wouldn’t be surprised if it also saves them a few cents on every car, which in bulk would save them a hefty sum.
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
      "Seriously? Are we not doing phrasing anymore?"
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "Triple Dog Dare You" has been replaced with "I'm going to butt-f**k your mom right in the ass cooch."
      Because kids are dumb.

11. 05-16-2019 08:46 AM #410
      Yeah just saw that this morning.

A few thoughts:

The infotainment, while I kind of like those, if they don't have a control knob of some sort it just makes them more difficult to use for the most part. I can't tell if vw is going that route or the route like Hyundai is.

Another thing, I guess for most people won't matter is if you wanted to install a third party screen, it would probably be much more difficult.

Otherwise I can't tell much more difference besides a strange instrument cluster skin they have on there. I can't tell if that is just some beta thing or if they're going for simplicity.

Anyone else notice any changes that we can see? I know I saw a normal shift lever still, the steering wheel looks the same, door looks the same. Probably going to be another .5 kind of update which is good because they really have a lot right already.

Vehicles
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      05-16-2019 08:50 AM #411
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Your future seems to be one where humans dig through sub menus to adjust their seats.
      Full disclosure, I prefer physical seat controls. But devil's advocate, what is a reason seat controls would be bad in a touch screen? It's a setting most people set once and forget about? Seat positions programmed into the car means memory seats are possible.

Using climate settings as an example, if we all just left climate on auto, why would we need buttons? I think that's the Tesla approach now. You're just going to seat a comfortable temperature and let the system do all the adjusting.

I guess my point is, VW would be wrong to go down the route of complete buttonless controls. But having a good mix of physical and touch control is fine for me as long as it doesn't remove physical controls that I need to use while actually driving. Buttons that I can press with little to no distraction.
      ||||||||||||||

13. 05-16-2019 08:55 AM #412
      Full disclosure, I prefer physical seat controls. But devil's advocate, what is a reason seat controls would be bad in a touch screen? It's a setting most people set once and forget about? Seat positions programmed into the car means memory seats are possible.

Using climate settings as an example, if we all just left climate on auto, why would we need buttons? I think that's the Tesla approach now. You're just going to seat a comfortable temperature and let the system do all the adjusting.

I guess my point is, VW would be wrong to go down the route of complete buttonless controls. But having a good mix of physical and touch control is fine for me as long as it doesn't remove physical controls that I need to use while actually driving. Buttons that I can press with little to no distraction.
      It is a setting most people treat as a "one and done", but you're forgetting the fact that when cars get serviced, techs tend to move the seat to best fit them. Burying the controls in some submenu is ridiculous. With the ever present problems of distracted driving, making more and more changes to things like these from manual controls to some electronic screen you've got to go through several menus on to change only makes it more likely someone is going to cause an accident cause their seat is just a wee bit out of place.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk, The Final Frontier
      Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      Ban GHB

Vehicles
      GTI
      05-16-2019 09:00 AM #413
      Saw this picture last night and the interface is killing me with how distracting this will be to use the climate control on this. I'm sure it will be a menu in the infotainment system but really touch sliders to adjust fan and temp?

Also is it weird to anyone else how low the dash vents are? The MK7 climate control is great but not excellent. On a really hot day it's just keeping up if you are using the AC. I think because it's such a big greenhouse. With the lower vents I think it's going to make it even worse.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      05-16-2019 09:12 AM #414
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      Also is it weird to anyone else how low the dash vents are? The MK7 climate control is great but not excellent. On a really hot day it's just keeping up if you are using the AC. I think because it's such a big greenhouse. With the lower vents I think it's going to make it even worse.
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      Woohoo, throwback air vents!

Vehicles
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      05-16-2019 09:14 AM #415
      Quote Originally Posted by ForTheWin View Post
      It is a setting most people treat as a "one and done", but you're forgetting the fact that when cars get serviced, techs tend to move the seat to best fit them. Burying the controls in some submenu is ridiculous. With the ever present problems of distracted driving, making more and more changes to things like these from manual controls to some electronic screen you've got to go through several menus on to change only makes it more likely someone is going to cause an accident cause their seat is just a wee bit out of place.
      That's exactly why I mentioned memory seats. If the car is adjusting the seat via programming then it can remember the position. When the tech returns the car you reset it back to your position before you put in drive. Either way no one is adjusting their seat after servicing while on the road in gear.

I get your overall point though and I agree that a touch screen is not for every function but that isn't a good example to prove that theory.
      ||||||||||||||

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-16-2019 09:43 AM #416
      Saw this picture last night and the interface is killing me with how distracting this will be to use the climate control on this. I'm sure it will be a menu in the infotainment system but really touch sliders to adjust fan and temp?
      I bet VW will incorporate something like this

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-16-2019 09:48 AM #417
      That's exactly why I mentioned memory seats. If the car is adjusting the seat via programming then it can remember the position. When the tech returns the car you reset it back to your position before you put in drive. Either way no one is adjusting their seat after servicing while on the road in gear.

I get your overall point though and I agree that a touch screen is not for every function but that isn't a good example to prove that theory.
      Memory seats requires that the seats have a function to know their position. Once you have that it doesn't matter where the controls are located.

I despise over reliance on touch screens, which is what it's coming to. Sure, some functions are great in there, but I don't want secondary functions (which to me includes stereo/heater) on the touch screens. Period. What I want has no bearing on what will happen, of course. It's all about cost, and as we know touch screens are at the point it's cheaper/easier to use them, so here they come. :/
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-16-2019 09:49 AM #418
      Quote Originally Posted by brennok View Post
      I see two panels in the sketch. Look at the lines of the steering wheel, they appear to line up with the split which is why it is somewhat hidden in the sketch.
      Of course there are going to be multiple panels - one giant, curved touch screen is impossible at this price point. I just hope the production screens are more integrated than what we see here - like in the new Touareg for example.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-16-2019 10:00 AM #419
      Quote Originally Posted by cylemmulo View Post

Anyone else notice any changes that we can see? I know I saw a normal shift lever still, the steering wheel looks the same, door looks the same. Probably going to be another .5 kind of update which is good because they really have a lot right already.
      Huh? The only thing they changed is EVERYTHING. This is no face-lift.

21. 05-16-2019 10:00 AM #420
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      VW hit peak-interior with the MkII. Love that interior so much.

That little 16V badge on the glovebox makes me all warm inside.

Vehicles
      GTI
      05-16-2019 10:03 AM #421
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      I bet VW will incorporate something like this
      And since there is no haptic feedback with gesture control you need to look at what you are adjusting on screen. So it's more distracting than a physical knob or button that you already know where it is on the dash through muscle memory.

My MK7 has CarPlay and I love it and hate it at the same time. Love how it "helps" me not have to use my phone to adjust music or for navigation but in the end its a mirrored iPhone screen higher on the dash. I wish there was real integration into the MMI between the gauges and with steering wheel controls. That way I'm at least looking in the right directions and could use steering wheel controls to navigate through CarPlay screens and options better. Sure I can use Siri to do some stuff but that only goes so far and if I have a cold forget it.

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      05-16-2019 10:44 AM #422
      I gotta believe the piano black bezels are not going to be in production. Does not look good to me.

Even though the all glass sketch looks great, I prefer the non-gloss / anti glare screen in the pre 2018's (Rs & GTIs) Gloss screen seems like it would have reflection and finger print cons to it.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-16-2019 11:04 AM #423
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      I gotta believe the piano black bezels are not going to be in production. Does not look good to me.
      Why would you believe that? Tons of automakers (VW included) use it everywhere. My Golf R is full of it.
      iain

25. 05-16-2019 11:32 AM #424
      Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I quite like the new interior. It's a nice change from the MK7 (which wasn't bad by any means) and the integration of screen is more fluid than the "tack a display on the dash" approach that most automakers are using. Also, I really like the new steering wheel and that there's provisions for a manual transmission (fingers crossed for a manual R). In short, the interior would not deter me from considering a MK8. (exterior styling and engine options are another story though)

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      05-16-2019 11:52 AM #425
      Reminds me of the Caddy CUE capacitive touch controls for HVAC.. big fail.. screw you VW.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast