VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: All-New Volkswagen Golf MKVIII Is Nabbed In The Nude

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      01-22-2019 08:38 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Just another GTI View Post
      They are useless. Replace them with a larger A pillar. In 25,000 miles of driving MkVII's I've never found them useful.

Provide me with a rebuttal.
      Would a larger A-pillar be more useful? How is the window such a detriment that it needs to be changed?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      01-22-2019 09:18 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by chois View Post
      The Golf has a silly amount of headroom. I would be surprised if this were an issue.

The V had really great headroom; it allowed me to be first in line at a red light and see the signal without crouching forward. However, it's been getting lower since and the MKVII merely suffices.
      Last edited by zukiphile; 01-22-2019 at 09:51 AM.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 09:25 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Just another GTI View Post
      They are useless. Replace them with a larger A pillar. In 25,000 miles of driving MkVII's I've never found them useful.

Provide me with a rebuttal.
      A larger A-pillar looks fugly. And how is it useful?

Even though it may not improve visibility, the glass lets in more light -which is nice.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 09:27 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
      The MKV was a beast. Ours had 175k on it with absolutely no repairs besides maintenance.
      I was talking about the styling only. My parents still have a 2007 Mk5 and its been solid.

01-22-2019 09:34 AM #55
      Interesting, they seem to have tweeked the front end just enough to be a wee-bit unsightly.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 09:36 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vTa4 View Post
      The side view mirrors are slowly working their way down. They'll be in the middle of the door by the mk10. That stupid little triangle window started with the mk7, I can't understand why the mirror isn't up there anymore.
      Hmmm

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-22-2019 12:18 PM #57
      Why is TCL not hating on the MK8 due to being a "mild refresh", since it's not on a new platform, instead it reused an existing platform.

(see 2020 Passat thread).
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

Vehicles
      '93 Cabriolet, '16 Passat (previous toys '84 Rabbit GTI, '04 R32, '92 500e)
      01-22-2019 12:30 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      Why is TCL not hating on the MK8 due to being a "mild refresh", since it's not on a new platform, instead it reused an existing platform.

Because it's already on the latest MQB platform unlike the 2020 Passat which continues on the same platform since 2012.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-22-2019 12:36 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by FLY-GTI1 View Post
      Because it's already on the latest MQB platform unlike the 2020 Passat which continues on the same platform since 2012.
      MQB has been around since 2011. So, TCL logic means it is outdated already.
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 12:46 PM #60
      Wait until TCL hears that the base MK8 Golf will go back to a torsion bar rear suspension like the new Jetta - and pretty much every other new compact.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 12:59 PM #61

MQB is not really a traditional car platform. They can change anything they want with the MK8 expect for a couple of key dimensions.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      01-22-2019 01:06 PM #62
      I liked our MKV Rabbit. We'd probably still have it had it not got totaled.

But some generations are def better than others, meaning there has to be a worst. All MKIVs might not have been unreliable turds, but enough were to earn it that reputation. Anecdotally I know more people in real life who had problems with VWs from that era than people who had trouble free experiences compared to other gens

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-22-2019 01:13 PM #63
      MQB has been around since 2011. So, TCL logic means it is outdated already.
      Firstly, NMS was based on the MkIII components, so it wasn't exactly earth shattering at the time and secondly...

Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      MQB is not really a traditional car platform. They can change anything they want with the MK8 expect for a couple of key dimensions.
      There's this. Modules, positions, sizes and nearly everything can be changed except for the relationship between the pedals/firewall and front wheels. The Passat has the same roof it had before, is apparently limited to not using the new virtual dashboard (because of being stuck with some older electronics) and cannot change the suspension much if any other than tuning. The MQB component set can.

That being said, given its market position, the shrinking sedan sales, the fact it's almost exclusively for the U.S. and the new (worldwide?) Jetta I don't blame them for doing a refresh on the Passat. I would've thought they were absolutely crazy if they had done that with the Jetta, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

01-22-2019 01:31 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      The V had really great headroom; it allowed me to be first in line at a red light and see the signal without crouching forward. However, it's been getting lower since and the MKVII merely suffices.
      Fair point. At 6'-4" I feel like the current car has plenty, but my perception is probably impacted by my wife's MkV.
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 2007 GTI 16v, 4 door, 6sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2005 20V E-450 motor home
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-22-2019 01:51 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Firstly, NMS was based on the MkIII components, so it wasn't exactly earth shattering at the time and secondly...

There's this. Modules, positions, sizes and nearly everything can be changed except for the relationship between the pedals/firewall and front wheels. The Passat has the same roof it had before, is apparently limited to not using the new virtual dashboard (because of being stuck with some older electronics) and cannot change the suspension much if any other than tuning. The MQB component set can.

That being said, given its market position, the shrinking sedan sales, the fact it's almost exclusively for the U.S. and the new (worldwide?) Jetta I don't blame them for doing a refresh on the Passat. I would've thought they were absolutely crazy if they had done that with the Jetta, though.
      Actually, the NMS platform is based on the PQ46 platform, which the PQ46 is based on the PQ35 platform.

Oddly enough, the SAIC Passat gets a digital cockpit as an option. So, is the US Passat and SAIC Passat built on the same platform? Or is it one of many VW (important) typographical errors?
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 02:04 PM #66
      Actually, the NMS platform is based on the PQ46 platform, which the PQ46 is based on the PQ35 platform.

Oddly enough, the SAIC Passat gets a digital cockpit as an option. So, is the US Passat and SAIC Passat built on the same platform? Or is it one of many VW (important) typographical errors?
      I thought the new SAIC Passat switched to MQB.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/ch...goes-official/

18. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      01-22-2019 02:11 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by chois View Post
      Fair point. At 6'-4" I feel like the current car has plenty, but my perception is probably impacted by my wife's MkV.

I'm 2 inches shorter than you, but I came from some very small Japanese cars. I had adapted my driving position for those, and had no complaints; in fact the smallest of them could be very comfortable for long trips. I viewed red lights through the sunroof, but that was fine too.

When I drove the MKV Golf, I was genuinely impressed by the difference in scale. Everything was comfortable and in reach. But then, what do I know? I thought the five cylinder, 150hp engine was neat too.

The MKVII has better head room than a lot of other cars. The Hyundai three door hatch whatchamacallit has terrible forward visibility, and the Toyota iM seems marketed to people who live in trees and make cookies. The MKV made an impression on me.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

19. Member
      01-22-2019 03:07 PM #68
      The front end just looks horrible. Looks like the designers simply ran out of ideas. Look at the new Jetta, I mean jesus. It's just ghastly and boring as hell. I'll be getting an MK7.5 or getting an RS4 Avant when that comes stateside after the RS6 Avant.
      2015 Golf R
      Xpel (entire nose)
      Ceramic Pro 9H (two coats)
      Neuspeed RSe07 Wheels for 3 seasons (Continental DW 235/40/18)
      Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels for 1 season (Continental SI 225/45/17)

20. 01-22-2019 04:25 PM #69
      This is why I don't like it. The MK5 was the worst Golf.
      No way...the engine was fantastic. Im actually considering buying a MK5 JSW w/ semi low miles just for the engine.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-22-2019 04:27 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by imagine29028 View Post
      No way...the engine was fantastic. Im actually considering buying a MK5 JSW w/ semi low miles just for the engine.
      I'm talking about the styling only.

22. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-22-2019 04:32 PM #71

As I understand it at least some of that architecture is MkIII based. Perhaps I've been misinformed and perhaps it's just a few measurements, Dunno. Either way it's pretty damn old, much older than the MQB set.

Supposedly the Chinese Passat is now different than ours, and since they buy them in bulk it was worth making it MQB. I'm pretty confident we'd have their version if our plant were able to build MQB (on that particular assembly line) without a huge investment.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      01-22-2019 04:43 PM #72
      What's wrong with the glass? It's better than having some cheap and ugly black plastic.
      Yup. They put the money and time in engineering the correct solution. I saw a Volt the other day and they give up nearly 1/4 of the front window for the mirror and the black trim piece.
      FOR SALE: 2015 eGolf SEL Premium, 52,000 miles, $11,500

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      01-22-2019 05:10 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      As I understand it at least some of that architecture is MkIII based. Perhaps I've been misinformed and perhaps it's just a few measurements, Dunno. Either way it's pretty damn old, much older than the MQB set.

Supposedly the Chinese Passat is now different than ours, and since they buy them in bulk it was worth making it MQB. I'm pretty confident we'd have their version if our plant were able to build MQB (on that particular assembly line) without a huge investment.
      Definitely was not MKIII based, other than the 2.slow that lived on the NCS Jetta.

It would not surprise me if VW Group America f'd up their press releases like they f'd up their owner's manual, putting in non-existing oil weights with oil specs, such as 5w40 oil that meets VW 504.00/507.00 in the 2019 manuals.
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxwei▀ 6MT Stage 2
      01-22-2019 07:21 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasmf View Post
      The front end just looks horrible. Looks like the designers simply ran out of ideas. Look at the new Jetta, I mean jesus. It's just ghastly and boring as hell. I'll be getting an MK7.5 or getting an RS4 Avant when that comes stateside after the RS6 Avant.
      I heard about the RS6 but is the more affordable version rumored to come here too?? source?

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxwei▀ 6MT Stage 2
      01-22-2019 07:24 PM #75
      Wait until TCL hears that the base MK8 Golf will go back to a torsion bar rear suspension like the new Jetta - and pretty much every other new compact.
      The base Golf has always been torsion bar. Just we don't get the truly "base" Golfs in the US.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast