VWVortex.com - 2002 Eurovan Engine replacement
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 Eurovan Engine replacement

1. 01-22-2019 12:17 PM #1
      I am looking for either a replacement engine that can be swapped into a 2002 Eurovan or a local mechanic in Colorado that can repair the excising one. The shop it is currently at says they can only do a swap if I find an engine. They are not able to repair the existing one and said it was Seized. I reached out to CaveVan and 3zero3 motorsports and neither are able to work on Eurovans. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 01-22-2019 12:57 PM #2
      You should be able to swap in a BDF-code engine from a Mk4 Golf/GTI/Jetta if the donor is a *manual* transmission. Rumor has it that manual BDFs have the same transmission hole pattern as automatic VR6 Eurovans. Perhaps someone out there can confirm that to be sure though. That would open up your options for a donor engine a bit more than just looking at AXK Eurovan motors.

Other ancillary items like oil pan, etc. will need to be retained from your Eurovan because of the tilted angle that the motor sits in the Eurovan.

4. 01-22-2019 07:40 PM #3
      That would be great. Any idea on how long that job would take on a Eurovan?

5. Member
      01-22-2019 11:48 PM #4
      There's one bolt difference between the manual and auto BDF blocks. If it were me and the motor were cheap enough I'd probably forego the bolt. But that's definitely a personal decision.

Leodenvermobility are you looking just in Colorado? There should be a fair number of AXK/BDF engines available around the US. I actually have one for sale here in WA.

6. 01-23-2019 08:42 AM #5
      On car-part.com, there are at least 20 used engines and a few that have been rebuilt.

7. 01-24-2019 06:03 PM #6
      I'm going through the same problem in Colorado. 3zero3 probably won't work on your EV because of mine. I ended up going over to verners in Boulder and he can't rebuild the motor either, not can he find an oil pump for mine. After telling me I need a rebuild, he couldn't find anyone that could do it, so we decided to put it back together and I'd just keep an eye on my oil consumption. After he got everything back together he told me that my oil pressure is low and he wanted to swap out the pump hoping that was the problem, but can't source a pump. I'm so deep into this damn van I don't know what to do. I can't afford a motor rebuild anyway as I've already dropped about 14k into this thing

8. Member
      01-25-2019 09:28 AM #7
      The oil pump for an '01-'03 Eurovan is part number 021115105C. Looks like it's available from ECS, Europaparts, and a few others online for about $250.

There's also a used one on car-part.com. Not sure where you mechanic tried to source one, but perhaps it's worth ordering yourself and having them install if you aren't comfortable with it.

9. 01-25-2019 01:23 PM #8
      Thanks!

10. 01-25-2019 06:07 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by xinnar View Post
      The oil pump for an '01-'03 Eurovan is part number 021115105C. Looks like it's available from ECS, Europaparts, and a few others online for about $250.

There's also a used one on car-part.com. Not sure where you mechanic tried to source one, but perhaps it's worth ordering yourself and having them install if you aren't comfortable with it.
      unfortunatly no one i've contacted including the 2 places you typed have it in stock. looks like its either used or from Germany

Vehicles
      past: 1966 Kombi, 1976 Westfalia Camper; present: 2002 Eurovan MVW, 2017 GTI & 2017 Alltrack SEL
      01-25-2019 06:42 PM #10
      E-Acca List it for $205:
      Öl Pumpe
      They are pretty quick to ship.

12. Member
      01-26-2019 02:26 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Murso74 View Post
      unfortunatly no one i've contacted including the 2 places you typed have it in stock. looks like its either used or from Germany
      Looks like Jim Ellis has it, according to their site. Might be worth calling them, though, if the others had it marked in stock.

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/prod...21115105C.html

13. 01-26-2019 01:38 PM #12
      thanks everyone. i have a feeling i'm still going to be looking for a motor rebuild in colorado like the OP. But i'm going to try the 200 dollar part before i go that route

14. 02-08-2019 11:55 AM #13
      well the saga continues. i've tried every link that people have put up here and no one has this oil pump. 10 of them popped up on an ebay listing, but when i pulled the trigger they told me they dont' actually have it and are going to try and order it (not holding my breath).

what's going on with this? is everyone just waiting for their oil pump to die and then going to give up on this van?

as far as the rebuild goes, is this why no one will rebuild these motors? it seems like the only real issue is getting parts for it, which , from what i can tell from research is, they'd need a vehicle specific oil pump, oil pan, valve cover and oil filler neck. otherwise its just the same as rebuilding a manual BDF motor (because of the transmission mounting holes lining up). So until we find a source of oil pumps, no one will be able to fully rebuild our motors. do i have this correct?

15. 02-08-2019 02:49 PM #14
      Why not buy a used motor and call it a day?

16. 02-08-2019 02:53 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
      Why not buy a used motor and call it a day?
      after the money i've put in (new gowesty trans, axels, timing chain, various other parts) i don't want to waste any more money on someone elses problems. i dont' know how i'd know for sure that the used motor i'm buying would last me.

there actually is one more factor, and that's the aftermarket warranty that i got with the van.. i've got about 4k credit left it in, which i'd use towards a motor rebuild. i'm not sure that they'd cover a used motor
      Last edited by Murso74; 02-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.

17. 03-15-2019 04:26 PM #16
      There's one bolt difference between the manual and auto BDF blocks. If it were me and the motor were cheap enough I'd probably forego the bolt. But that's definitely a personal decision.

Leodenvermobility are you looking just in Colorado? There should be a fair number of AXK/BDF engines available around the US. I actually have one for sale here in WA.
      Xinnar, can you elaborate on the "one bolt difference"? At the engine/transmission interface? Is the BDF missing or has an additional bolt, but otherwise they match?

I'm also in CO, and looks like I need a rebuild.

18. Member
      03-15-2019 07:00 PM #17
      The BDF automatic transmission block has a hole missing that the manual BDF block has.

So you want a manual BDF block from a 24v VR6 Jetta or Golf. Or you can get the automatic transmission block and skip one bellhousing bolt. I wouldn't personally stress too much about missing one bolt if it were me.

People seem to charge a huge premium for the Eurovan AXK blocks and other people think there's some difference but if you get a manual BDF block you're good to go. You'll need to swap your intake manifold, oil pan, and a few other Eurovan-specific parts. But the head, camshafts, block, etc - are all the same. The automatic BDF is just missing one bolt hole for the bellhousing.

19. 03-16-2019 12:19 AM #18
      The BDF automatic transmission block has a hole missing that the manual BDF block has.

So you want a manual BDF block from a 24v VR6 Jetta or Golf. Or you can get the automatic transmission block and skip one bellhousing bolt. I wouldn't personally stress too much about missing one bolt if it were me.

People seem to charge a huge premium for the Eurovan AXK blocks and other people think there's some difference but if you get a manual BDF block you're good to go. You'll need to swap your intake manifold, oil pan, and a few other Eurovan-specific parts. But the head, camshafts, block, etc - are all the same. The automatic BDF is just missing one bolt hole for the bellhousing.
      Thanks! I see BDFs listed separately for 5 and 6-speed manual transmissions - is there any engine/transmission mounting bolt difference or generation between the two? I have the original AXK + 1 questionable spare, so should be OK on the accessory mount front.

20. Member
      03-16-2019 02:25 AM #19
      The 6-speed manual should be the same as the 5-speed manual, though I'm not sure if any GTIs or Jettas shipped with a 5-speed manual and a BDF VR6 in the US.

When in doubt, opt for the 6-speed manual option.