Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Frontier

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      01-27-2019 05:37 PM #1
      Tl;dr - I still really like this truck. Pros are that it was cheap to buy, it has been very reliable and versatile, and is everything I need it to do. Cons are that I don't like the brakes or the 5-speed automatic. And it is still a Nissan.

Anyway...

In a couple weeks, I will have owned my '14 Nissan Frontier for 4 years. It's coming up on the longest time that I've owned a vehicle. Figured I'd use this post to chronicle some of the highlights of the journey I've had with this Nissan product.

Rewinding back to late 2014, I had a leased Mk6 Sportwagen, 2.5L gasser with a stick. And a utility trailer. With snows. It was kinda your typical TCL anti-SUV. However, I was racking up miles since I took a job since leasing the Sportwagen that had me commuting 100 miles/day. While I tried to do the bulk of that in my Miata, I still ended up putting a ton of miles on the Sportwagen. By the time the 2-year anniversary of the lease rolled around (December 2014) the car had amassed 35,000 miles - despite not driving it "all that often." That, and I wasn't in love with driving it in the snow - best FWD car I ever had, but it and the ground clearance were an issue on the unplowed roads I drove when coming home from work in the snow. So I was looking for something 4WD, and with ground clearance. Naturally, I tried out Subaru first, and while the deal was pretty good for a new '15 Forester Premium w/ 6MT ($23K), I investigated the possibility of a truck. That would allow me to not have to hitch up the trailer every time I did a dump run, and allow for me to tow other things, like a car.

Went to CarMax and drove used Frontiers and Tacomas back to back. Preferred the Frontier for its cabin feel - taller windows, higher seat / better driving position. The condition of the used Tacoma we drove (a 2013 w/ only 30k on it) also didn't inspire confidence - lots of wind getting past the seals when we took it on the highway. They also wanted near $30k for that particular example But since I have soft spot for Toyota trucks, I checked out new ones as well. In the end, the interior quality still didn't awe me enough to justify the $32k price tag for the crew cab SR5 4x4 at the local dealer.

So I set my sights on a used Frontier SV, preferably with the Value Pkg, which added a tow package, spray-in bedliner, utility tracks (for tie-downs and such). With prospects few and far between - the Value Pkg had been introduced for the 2013 model year - I discovered a number of places with leftover 2014's, including the Nissan dealer that was 5 minutes from my work. I worked a deal to take home a leftover Crew Cab 4x4 w/ SV Value Package in Metallic Blue with 30 miles on the clock for $26k+TTL. I had some negative equity in the Jetta thanks to the lease, but TBH I was going to be in for that much with mileage fees at the end of the lease, so I just ate it. Hey, just trying to live up to the typical Nissan buyer, seeing as my credit was not in typical range.

Here's from the night I picked up the truck, with the Jetta sitting next to it:

And again that same night, picking up groceries:

And again the next morning at work:

It immediately went to work, racking up the miles as my winter daily, and then trading off as my wife's daily when I took her Mazda3 for my long drive instead. I've taken it on trips all over the Northeast - whether to pick up parts, cars, or just to be a more comfortable alternative to my wife's Mazda.

Speaking of cars, it has dragged home a number of my rides over the years, including:
      • 1997 VW Jetta VR6
      • 1992 VW GTI
      • 2002 WRX
      • 1997 M3
      • 1991 VW GTI

It also dragged around the M3 and '91 GTI a bunch, after the M3's accident and while we were in the process of moving. It has also dragged a bunch of utility trailers - both my own and rented UHaul 6x12's - when the need for firewood arose (or when I had to sell mine when we were moving), or when I got back together (briefly) with my old FSAE buddies and attempted to bring one of our old cars back to life.

I even loaned it out to a friend of mine who was moving house with a 6-week-old baby - things needed to be a little more on his schedule, so I just let him have it for 6 weeks while they slowly moved from their apartment to their new house.

Also, as a result of my enabling habits (towards one of my car buddies), it also dragged home a $400 B5 Avant, running and driving (off the trailer at least), with a pristine body. Pretty proud of that score, actually - so I was happy to drag it home with the little truck that could.

When I started out, I was doing about 15k/year, but since then other cars came into the fold that allowed me to drive the Frontier less, unless the weather really got sh*tty. And now it serves once again as my daily driver - with a lot shorter commute as we have since moved and I changed jobs from that 100 mile/day commute. It currently has just shy of 51,000 miles on it.

Mods
      The only 'mods' I've done to it so far is add an electric brake controller (Tekonsha Primus IQ), 35% window tints up front (should have gone 20%), and a tramp stamp on the tailgate.

That last one was not by choice. I was loading my motorcycle onto my utility trailer when it popped off the ball and went forward into the tailgate. Mistakes happen, and I'll probably get the tailgate fixed one day.

Maintenance
      This is supposed to be what separates the Nissans from the Toyotas.

But so far, it hasn't proven to break the bank. Average mileage has been a tick under 19 mpg. I do oil changes myself, every 5k miles. It takes 5.5 quarts of 5W-30, so I get whatever synthetic or blend that's available for ~$20 on Amazon, and I bought a bulk pack of Nissan filters at about $8/ea.

So far I've put 1 engine air filter and one cabin filter through it, and replaced the brake pads and rotors at 35k miles - probably a consequence of towing a lot with UHaul trailers and their nose heaviness and surge brakes - one of the main reasons I ended up buying my own car trailer. I replaced the brakes with Hawk LTX pads and Centric rotors, which IIRC cost about $300 total (DIY). I was hoping for better brake performance - the brakes aren't confidence-inspiring even when unloaded - so one of these days I need to flush the fluid through and see if that livens things up.

I did a transmission service at 30k miles, replacing the Nissan fluid with the Rowe equivalent because I could get my hands on it cheaper than Nissan S-matic. It was a bit of a mistake, as I believe it to be one of the causes of my dipping fuel mileage (I used to get 20-21 mpg consistently on highway trips in the summer) and I noticed it takes the transmission longer to come up to temp in the morning. I'll probably do another service at 60k with S-matic. The transmission is one of the things I like least about it because it's only a 5-speed, so the ratio gaps are large; and the aforementioned fluid temp issue which keeps the converter unlocked until the trans comes up to temp, killing my fuel mileage. On the upside, the shifts are smooth and seamless, and it has an external trans cooler from factory - eliminating a big problem with these trucks, which was the strawberry milkshake resulting from the failure of the integrated radiator/trans cooler.

I'm still on the original tires - BFG Radial Long Trails - chalk that up to rotations every 5-10k miles. They could probably go to 60k, but I'll probably replace them before next season.

The only unscheduled repair was this past summer. While I was hauling firewood to the 2 friends I'd sold it to (since we were moving) I lost power steering. Seeing the PS fluid all over the rack, led me to believe I'd blown a seal in the rack. It was also a hot day, and the truck had been working, hauling 2+ cords of firewood on top of a large dump run. Thinking I'd blown the rack, I took it to the local Nissan dealer, and they diagnosed a blown HP hose. That set me back about $700. And that was the only unscheduled repair, and frankly, stuff happens - and kudos to the Nissan dealer for having it back on the road less than 24 hours later.

And that's pretty much it. Here's a shot of it today, hauling firewood from my lower garage to the upper one (where we stack it before use). It continues to be my versatile workhorse, whether living the easy city life commuting to work / school, or hauling all my various pieces of crap everywhere. It's a good truck.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      01-27-2019 06:55 PM #2
      Great story. Although very old, considering how much cheaper these are than a Tacoma I think Frontiers are a little underrated, and very mechanically proven.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 A4 1.8tq, 1999.5 Jetta VR6
      01-27-2019 07:51 PM #3
      I had rented one for a snowboarding trip out in CO last week.

I was really surprised how much I liked driving that truck in 4+ inches of snow and ice. Definitely not great conditions at all, but I felt very confident in it.

Had plenty of room for our stuff and 3 guys in gear. Good to hear there are others out there who like it!

Vehicles
      '85 VW Golf & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      01-27-2019 08:45 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Great story. Although very old, considering how much cheaper these are than a Tacoma I think Frontiers are a little underrated, and very mechanically proven.
      ^ Agreed. I had one as a rental a few months ago in crew cab V6 2WD Auto spec. It had an enjoyable powerband and was surprisingly pleasant to drive. I found the spartan interior to be fitting for a base truck and didn't mind at all. They are on my radar should the opportunity arise, and I believe they were available in V6 manual transmission 4x4 layout.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      01-27-2019 08:54 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      First thing I thought of:

I reject geometry.

Vehicles
      01-27-2019 09:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      First thing I thought of:

Yeah, the rear springs are a little soft. Makes for a good ride, though.

Look at any of the pics with the UHaul car carrier on the back of the Frontier, and it's even worse. It's one of the other reasons why I got the car trailer - to get a weight-distributing hitch to take some tongue weight off the back.

Also, I had to go all of 500 feet to get that wood up to the upper garage. Didn't have that far to go

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      01-28-2019 09:14 AM #7
      Nice, thanks for sharing OP!

I've always been a fan of the Frontier & Xterra. My FIL is enjoying his Frontier after putting up with years of domestic crap (late model Dakota & Colorado). The cult following/inflated value of the Tacoma is nauseating to me as well.

I do like the new Colorado. But for me the value of a full-size Tundra at ~36K new was too much to pass up. And I do love it.

That said, I hope to add back a fun winter car at some point. But I think I'll always have a truck, too useful when you need one.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Vehicles
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      01-28-2019 10:05 AM #8
      I had an '05 Xterra and really loved the way it drove on long trips and especially in the snow. I think the reason why the values on the Frontier and Xterra are so low is due to the early Transmission issues aka Strawberry Milkshake of death and how Nissan handled it. I know many who had this issue in Pathfinders and Frontiers due to the design. I was "lucky" that I was in an accident and had my radiator replaced or I would have probably had the same issue which was a 3-6K repair.

Even though Nissan fixed the issue (or at least I think they did) this was affected the resale values. My 2005 with 140K miles was only valued around $2,000 even though the car was in great shape.

My only reasons for getting rid of it was I needed a bit more room for the kids and ski gear and I wanted the latest safety tech. It was a great car and I had looked at buying one the last year they were made to replace mine.
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      01-28-2019 10:35 AM #9
      Aside from the fact that the Frontier is a veritable zombie of a platform, its tough and proven and about the only modern Nissan I would consider owning these days. Nice color choice on yours, too.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      01-28-2019 11:19 AM #10
      Any TCLers driven a manual 2010-current Frontier? I've driven a ~2000 4-cyl but not the current gen. I find it hard to justify Taco prices. I drove a 6-spd Taco and it was pretty good. New and used prices are silly

I can buy a new stick shift Pro-4x for the same price a like a 2010 Taco with 100k miles it seems....

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      01-28-2019 09:52 PM #11
      I do like that color. Nothing wrong with a Frontier.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

13. Junior Member
      01-28-2019 09:59 PM #12
      The Frontier may be a design that has aged like an air cooled beetle, but by now all of the bugs are worked out. I have a 2012 6spd 4x4 truck with similar mileage to yours and over the last four years of ownership the biggest problem I have found is weak axle seals on the rear differential. It is a problem on the manual and pro-4x trucks which have the M226 axle. The vent plugs up and when towing the gear oil heats up and needs to go somewhere. Other than that, no complaints.

The ride is nice and smooth, the mpgs are between 16-21 depending on the time of year and driving I do. It doesn't even complain about pulling 5,000lbs. Albeit a bit slowly than a 450hp EcoBoosted F150 or Cummins Ram would. But I still get to the track at the same time and my friends do. I took it to Rausch Creek off road park with a friends late model Tacoma and went anywhere he did, even without a lift or locking rear diff. I was quite surprised in how capable it was stock. The Taco is definitely a nicer place to sit in, but it is a slightly larger truck with the redesign. They'll always hold their value if you really want one, but the buy-in is higher. I'm a cheap skate and went with the Frontier that does all the same functions for less $$.

Every once in a while I think about replacing it with a 2.7L/10spd F150, but I really like the size of the truck and it meets of all my needs. I would be losing a manual transmission, and gaining some horsepower with a bigger and longer car payment which I just can't justify.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap truck and can deal with older infotainment.

Vehicles
      01-28-2019 10:19 PM #13
      During ownership, I can't say my mind hasn't wandered towards something like a Babymax Colorado, or back to the Tacoma that could've been.

I also honestly think more about popping for a full size pickup over a Babymax, but I really can't justify it when the Frontier does everything I need it to do. If I had to do it all over again, then it would be a different story - a friend of mine recently bought a 2014 (?) Ram 1500 4x4 with 25k on it for what I paid for the Frontier, and it is a nice truck (its a Sport with the Hemi, naturally). Another friend has a '15 F-150 crew cab w/ the 3.5L EcoBoost that is also electric blue, that he bought with 7k miles for $30k. The low price was because it was a salvage title, bought from a dealer specializing in late model non-collision insurance buybacks. While its not backed by factory warranty anymore, the dealer includes a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser. Honestly, having gone over it, you can't tell that it was a freshwater flood car - I bet the water level wasn't even that high and insurance didn't want to take any risk. Full size deals are out there.

And regarding the comments about the color - that was a nod that I made to my wife on what was (until we bought our house 6 months ago) our largest purchase at the time. I had test driven a silver one with about 200 miles on it, and worked the deal based on that VIN. When I asked the sales guy if he'd do the same on the electric blue one I saw sitting at the back of the lot, he said sure. I wanted the steel blue color, but electric blue has worked just fine My wife thinks that cars should be colors - not silver, white, black, or gray.

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      01-28-2019 11:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      Any TCLers driven a manual 2010-current Frontier?

I own a 06 manual for last 8 years.

I've replaced the brakes so many times on the truck its not even funny. You lucky you got 35k miles.

Just last week they put a pallet with 900lb into the truck and it made it home! The truck sat pretty low.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta GLI Edition 30 DSG.
      01-29-2019 12:21 AM #15
      Bought a 2010 Crew Cab SE 4X4 new and sold it in 2014 for my GLI Ed30. Best truck I ever had. Utterly reliable and was amazing in the snow. I miss it and if I was to go back to a truck again the Frontier would be top of my list.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      01-29-2019 07:25 AM #16
      I love mine as well - highly underrated trucks. I just did an "enabling" trip with my cousin down to grab him a car for the Gambler 500. I pulled back a 2004 Escape 4x4 V6 on one of those heavy ass Uhaul trailers and it did phenomenally well.

The only thing I dislike about my truck is when the trans is on the hotter side, the 2-3 shift can be a little ****ty - theres a little bump there. Dealer says its fine. At only 32k, I'm a little miffed but hey.. going to do a fluid drain+fill this spring, see if that helps.

Frontier on, good sir.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      some cars, some bikes...
      01-29-2019 10:06 AM #17
      I had an 07 Nismo, 4x4 6-speed manual. Extremely fun truck, very reliable day to day, and as mentioned it was great in the snow. Utilitarian, but comfortable, and a really good ride. The 6-speed manual was as good as most cars, not 'agricultural' at all.

When looking at these be aware of 05-07 year trucks, they came with plastic timing chain tensioners and they all will fail at relatively low miles. A higher mileage 05-07 has probably had them replaced if it's still on the road. I think this was fixed on later year trucks.

I traded mine in when it started making the tell-tale noise.

Vehicles
      Several.
      03-05-2019 03:13 PM #18
      To bring this up - I had a 2016 CCSB Pro-4X with the 6MT.

Shouldnít have gotten rid of it. Fantastic truck.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      03-05-2019 04:26 PM #19
      Cool truck. I drove a Frontier a couple years ago when I was looking for a truck and I really liked the engine, trans, ride and handling of it, but I couldn't get comfortable with the ergos. I probably would've bought it if I could've gotten a telescoping steering wheel on it.

Since you don't like the brakes so much, do the Titan brakes swap onto it? I know there are full "titan swaps" where control arms, knuckles, steering rack, etc are swapped onto the Frontier to make a badass longer travel type kit.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      UZJ100R, Prius, TU250x
      03-05-2019 07:11 PM #20
      Has anyone even ever seen the Frontier's platform mate, the short-lived Suzuki Equator?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      --whether you use spit or lube, throw a little sand in there and nobody has a good time.

Vehicles
      08-13-2019 11:31 AM #21
      Just thought Iíd post an update because Iím bored at work and have been pipe dreaming about another truck (more on that in a bit)

Nothing really new to report, the truck just rounded 58,000 miles the other week. Sadly, I was just short of my 60k-mile prediction on the tires, as my wife picked up a nail in one of the OG Long Trails:

I settled on buying some Continental TerrainContact A/T tires, ordered them on Tire Rack, and had them installed locally.

I gotta say, Iím disappointed so far. Although not any fault of the tire itself. First disappointment is the shaking at highway speed. Even on worn tires, it wasnít this bad, so Iíll chalk it up to the tire shop f**king up. The second is the look, between the tread design and the rim/tire fitment on the Frontier (265 tires on what I think is a 7Ē width) it ends up looking stupid.

So, itís the first time Iíve been truly disappointed with a tire choice. Hopefully the traction in winter (one of the main reasons I opted for a A/T instead of a highway oriented tire) will make up for it, and at least there a $100 rebate on the tires.

Aside from that, itís trucking on as my commuter, hauler, and baby transport.

But recently, I jokingly offered $2,000 for a 7.3 Powerjoke that needs some work - and surprisingly my friend said heíd take it. Okay, good thing it will never pass the wife test - but also surprisingly she doesnít think itís a bad idea for me to get a truck more suited to what I use the Frontier for.

IDK though. The truck has always been there for us and itís been nice to be a 2-car household since we sold our Mazda. It currently does everything I need it to do, except for maybe towing the Powerjoke home (it does run/drive though). And Iím not naive to the increased running costs of a diesel, and the potential for repairs. Iíve helped work on a friendís shop truck, also a 7.3 Powerjoke, so Iím familiar with clusterf*ck of repairs that are common on older/high mile examples.

But on the other hand, nothings going to fix the brake situation - Titans use a different hub/bolt pattern so I doubt things will swap over. I do wonder how much the towing will affect the overall engine/transmission life - which I try to mitigate with on-time maintenance and trans fluid changes.

Thereís a possibility of picking up a late model Jetta from a family member. If that could become my commuter/baby car, it would move the Frontier into a dedicated hauler, which then makes sense for me to move into a bigger truck thatís better at its intended role. That would also help defray the increased running costs and would keep me from going ever-backward in terms of putting my baby in an older vehicle - we already swapped my wifeís 2013 Mazda for a 2008 Subaru.

I still maintain itís a good honest truck - much like the Hardbody and Toyota trucks of the 80s/90s - adapted for the modern world.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      08-13-2019 06:42 PM #22
      Good to see a nice update. I still love mine, I just hate how my automatic shifts into 3rd gear. It's definitely not smooth and definitely has a good bump to it most times. I tried to solve it with a fluid drain and fill but nothing. Oh well, 45k mi and it acts fine otherwise. I just did my front pads and rotors at 45k mi. A little bit of pad life left, but the P.O. had warped them badly so it's nice to finally have smooth braking.

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2011 Toyota Camry LE, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      08-13-2019 08:25 PM #23
      So do new Frontiers still use a hydraulic rack? It has to be one of the last new vehicles that hasnít swapped to an electric rack.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)
      2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-13-2019 09:11 PM #24
      I mentioned this in another thread but I spent a week around one of these with Habitat and kept thinking what a smart little package it was. These were pretty basic V6 SV Xcabs. Nissan has a partnership with Habitat and the trucks are rather sloppily wrapped in a blue design that looks like blueprints (they put the wrap right over the badges)

Anyway, unlike Toyota's, these depreciate. I could totally see myself owning a used one someday.

26. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-13-2019 09:28 PM #25
      Thanks for the update!

As far as the 7.3L PSD, for that price I'd say jump on it. If you can get it running you will not lose money on it. To be fair, after putting a tune and exhaust on several of these, they are plenty powerful afterwards and return decent MPG's.

They're also dead simple and stupid reliable. You never seem them go in for heads, studs, head gaskets, etc. They just keep on keepin' on.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast