Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ace of Base: The Cayman Chase

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      02-01-2019 04:24 AM #1
      Hello. My username is kiznarsh and I have car ADD.

See, I think I may have jumped the gun when I bought the Miata after selling the 981 Cayman S. Not that buying a low-mileage NB is a bad idea, but perhaps I should've waited for one that had no body damage. Because it ultimately got to the point where I decided I need to either dump a lot of money into it and fix all the dents & scratches (and essentially a full respray), then also buy 15" wheels/tires, new suspension or...

OR...

Check out other cars on my "hey-it-would-be-cool-to-have" list. Starting looking at E30s with a preference on a 325iS, but supply wasn't all that great. Then I added a Z3 to the mix since having a convertible in SoCal makes sense, but then I drove one and well, didn't like it. What about a Z4? That could work, though it was never really on my radar. But then the Z4 M would be a nice compliment to the M5, right? Oh...the Z4 M Coupe would be even better, but they're a low-production car and prices for clean ones were $25k-$35k. Hmmm...

No, don't be silly, I should go back to a regular Z4, and so I found one semi-locally. A 2007 Z4 3.0Si with 80k miles that came with a service history and a new cooling system. Nice.

Contacted the owner, set up a date to go see the car on a Saturday morning. Had a pretty good feeling about it, but on that Wednesday, the owner texted me and said he had to leave town for work and wouldn't be back till middle of the following week. So he suggested the next weekend, but I had a buddy in town so that wasn't going to work, so we rescheduled for the following Saturday. But that meant waiting over 2 weeks and frankly, there was no way I'd have that much time and not start looking again. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

And so I did. And somehow, some way, I ended up with this Ace:

It's a 2009 Base with 71k miles, manual, and lightly optioned with highlights being the 18" Cayman S II wheels and floor mats in interior color. Meteor Gray Metallic over Black Standard Leather. No frills, no fuss, just a pure sports car that needs no explanation.

Found it at a non-Porsche dealer which took care of an oil change and complete detail after it was traded in. While the overall purchase went fairly smoothly, there was some drama associated with it.

Knowing 987.2s aren't that common, I took PTO the next day after finding it and emailed the internet service manager and said I was coming to see it. I debated whether or not to get a PPI somewhere else but the Carfax looked pretty good, these engines are quite reliable, and figured I'll take my laptop & Durametric cable with me to check for over-revs.

On my way home to pick up my gear, I got a call from the dealer, confirming my interest and told them I'll be there in an hour. 10 minutes later as I'm about to decide which car to take, I get another call, except this time I was told there's someone already there, and that I should wait in case the car's no longer available. Mkay.

12 minutes later, another call saying the customer wasn't able to secure a loan. So I decide to take the M5 since I know they'll lowball me on the Miata. Leave the house and the car didn't feel right, but my mind was a bit preoccupied and couldn't tell what was going on until a nice gentleman in a 997 caught my attention.

Oh...

Fortunately I was within half a mile from home, so after pumping it back up, swapped cars and got back on the road. Arrived at my destination and while waiting for the car to be brought out from the lot, I was told 2 other people were also interested in it, but 1 couldn't get his loan secured either, and the other guy had to go home and ask his wife.

#mindgames

Test drive was fine, no surprises, the car felt solid yet broken in at the same time compared with my 981. The hydraulic steering was a welcomed sensation, though the lack of the exhaust noise was disappointing. Just means I need to rev it more to hear the glorious flat-6 again.

Unsurprisingly, I really didn't need much convincing to pull the trigger so once we agreed on a price but before signing any paperwork, I asked if I could check for over-revs. Salesman had no idea what I was talking about but hey, he provided shade and eliminated glare, which was nice.

As you can see, this car was babied throughout its life that started in Georgia, then South Carolina, then Texas, and ultimately SoCal.

Took this photo before driving off the lot after it was washed and prepped for me. See anything...unusual?

With an hour of daylight left, took the canyons back home, and while the day was getting darker, my night was getting brighter.

There are more details that I'll share in this thread as I modify & maintain this magnificent machine. She's not too clean right now but I owed a few people this thread and did a quick & dirty photo shoot earlier tonight.

Lastly to my OT brethren who thought I got a CLA, my deepest, most sincere, heartfelt apologies.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just another GTI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      02-01-2019 05:01 AM #2
      Nice!

I guess you had to buy another one. Any reasons for buying one with many more miles this time around?
      Last edited by Just another GTI; 02-01-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: typing

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      02-01-2019 05:46 AM #3
      Nice. Does one “have to have” a Cayman S to enjoy a Cayman? Are the base cars good enough? Do you fell like you’re missing out? I like Caymans as well but wonder if the premium for an S is really worth it.

5. Member
      02-01-2019 06:12 AM #4
      The Smith's.......my favorite band.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      02-01-2019 06:14 AM #5
      NIce looking Porsche. Did you trade the Miata?

Vehicles
      2017 GTI
      02-01-2019 06:34 AM #6
      one of the top 10 best looking cars ever
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      You're supposed to poop in a sock drawer, not sock in a poop drawer.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      02-01-2019 07:25 AM #7
      I came in for 2000's Swedish Pop music.....

Vehicles
      16v I4, Supercharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-01-2019 08:53 AM #8
      My ****ing man.

And you didn’t have any good pictures, paaalleeaasseeee

Congrats Kiz. Just be careful they’re a little unruly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

10. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      02-01-2019 09:16 AM #9
      Atta boy
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      1991 911, 2014 SQ5, 2016 allroad
      02-01-2019 09:27 AM #10
      Nice!
      Any plans to upgrade the car in any way or enjoying as is?

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '13 Mazda3, '10 Mini Clubman, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      02-01-2019 09:33 AM #11
      Sheet. The 987.2 base Cayman is my idea of a well-rounded daily sports car, and indeed my choice if there weren’t *ahem* other factors at play.

The extra power/grunt of the Cayman S is nice, but it comes at a significant premium (even used) and it still doesn’t have a limited slip.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-01-2019 09:44 AM #12
      Congrats---that's about the perfect porsche sports car. I've seen your other thread with the M5, so any mechanical items that need to be addressed or is this in pretty perfect condition?

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      02-01-2019 09:54 AM #13
      Congrats on the Cayman, looks like a very well maintained example!
      -Noah
      Corrado| 996 Turbo |997 Turbo |TT|
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      Fake Rich C300
      02-01-2019 09:56 AM #14
      This story turned out just right

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      02-01-2019 10:07 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Nice. Does one “have to have” a Cayman S to enjoy a Cayman? Are the base cars good enough? Do you fell like you’re missing out? I like Caymans as well but wonder if the premium for an S is really worth it.
      I've never driven an S, in fact my base 987.2 is the ONLY Porsche I've ever driven. Do I wish I would have spend the extra $10,000 for an S? Not at all. While the 2.9 engine doesn't have much for low end torque it makes up for it with high end pull. I've got no problem letting the engine spin rather than expecting to be able to pull at 2000rpm like I can in a car like my turbo VW. The fact that the car does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds rather than 5.0 just means you get an extra second of full throttle fun before you have to dial it back to keep out of the slammer. I've never once been driving my base .2 and though, I'm not really enjoying this, but I would be if I had an extra 55hp. Perhaps if one was planning on tracking regularly you'd want the extra power.

I doubt anyone would notice the difference between the brakes and suspension of the base vs S.

The other nice thing IMO about the 2.9 is the fact that it DOESN'T have DFI. No worries about carbon buildup, though I've yet to year of actual problems with buildup on DFI Porsches.

17. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      02-01-2019 10:09 AM #16
      It's no CLA AMG but I suppose it'll do.

Congrats!
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2015 GTI SE LP (gone), 2011 987.2 Cayman, 2006 911 997 C2S (sold)
      02-01-2019 10:22 AM #17
      Welcome to the 987.2 (base) club! Who cares about the low end, getting that flat 6 to sing is where the fun is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      02-01-2019 10:32 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      You suck at parking.
      Salt is angry sugar.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      02-01-2019 10:40 AM #19
      Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed that you're not resurrecting the NB all the way. But congrats on the Cayman. Beautiful car and looks like a lot of fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      02-01-2019 10:47 AM #20
      Since we're all posting pictures of our "lowly" base Cayman .2's...

My only knock with mine is the stock 17" Cayman II wheels. I love the style of them, just they're an inch too small in diameter and width. Plan is to pickup some 18" wheels soon, but keep the 17's for "all season" DWS Contis.

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      02-01-2019 11:04 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Just another GTI View Post
      Nice!

I guess you had to buy another one. Any reasons for buying one with many more miles this time around?
      Thanks! Had to get one with so many miles to make it affordable given the mortgage and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Nice. Does one “have to have” a Cayman S to enjoy a Cayman? Are the base cars good enough? Do you feel like you’re missing out? I like Caymans as well but wonder if the premium for an S is really worth it.
      For my primary purposes (daily driver & spirited canyon runs), the base is 100% adequate. I get to ring it out more and use more of its potential, similar to the Miata. But I also never felt like I had too much power with my S.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Nice looking Porsche. Did you trade the Miata?
      No, they offered $4,500 for it (much more than I thought) but I'll be selling it myself; got a couple people interested to see it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      I came in for 2000's Swedish Pop music.....
      Did you see The Sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      My ****ing man.

And you didn’t have any good pictures, paaalleeaasseeee

Congrats Kiz. Just be careful they’re a little unruly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, I didn't have any till last night! I like to put out a quality product, nomsayin'?

Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      Nice! Any plans to upgrade the car in any way or enjoying as is?
      Thanks! My wallet would prefer the "as is" approach but...yeah, that's not gonna be the case.

Near-term plans are lowering springs with long-term plans including a different exhaust (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Congrats---that's about the perfect porsche sports car. I've seen your other thread with the M5, so any mechanical items that need to be addressed or is this in pretty perfect condition?
      I'll be doing a tune-up with some basic items soon. Clutch & flywheel were replaced at 64k miles which is kinda early. If it was caused by too many clutch dumps, they clearly short shifted based on the over-rev report. Shifter cables are also on my list as they're a known weak point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      It's no CLA AMG but I suppose it'll do.

Congrats!

I knew you never believed the original story but did you guess it could be this?

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Welcome to the 987.2 (base) club! Who cares about the low end, getting that flat 6 to sing is where the fun is.
      Truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      You suck at parking.
      100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed that you're not resurrecting the NB all the way. But congrats on the Cayman. Beautiful car and looks like a lot of fun.
      I know.

That would've been satisfying as well but at least I still made it better than what it was when I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Since we're all posting pictures of our "lowly" base Cayman .2's...

My only knock with mine is the stock 17" Cayman II wheels. I love the style of them, just they're an inch too small in diameter and width. Plan is to pickup some 18" wheels soon, but keep the 17's for "all season" DWS Contis.
      Looks good!

I'm not in love with my wheels, but I don't hate them either. I agree that 18" would look better and just the right size; anything bigger doesn't suit the car IMHO.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      02-01-2019 11:06 AM #22
      Congratulations! Proving once again that....

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      02-01-2019 11:11 AM #23
      I was fooled
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      02-01-2019 11:17 AM #24
      Attaboy!

Perfect dual purpose modern Porsche with none of the M97 worries.

Hmm, wonder if Vad still has those awesome P-Car wheels...

Vehicles
      7 Speed RGASM
      02-01-2019 11:20 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      And so I did. And somehow, some way, I ended up with this Ace:

Lastly to my OT brethren who thought I got a CLA, my deepest, most sincere, heartfelt apologies.
      Nice pickup

Way better than a ratty NB.

And yes, you're an ******* for the CLA tease.

But you redeemed yourself.

Enjoy the Porsche.

Last edited by davewg; 02-01-2019 at 11:42 AM.
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast