Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ace of Base: The Cayman Chase

1. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      01-28-2020 02:09 AM #326
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Thanks sir! Did you drive a manual or PDK?

I need to drive a base/S 718 just for the experience, although I imagine I'd badly want a 718 GTS or GT4. Just looked up inventory at my local dealer: only 1 Cayman and 4 Boxsters, all PDK.

60 Cayennes though.
      It was a pdk. I have not driven the S, which I’m sure would be better. Steering was terrific, But in base form, the 718 just sounded wheezy and felt sluggish. Not bad from 0-40 but then it just lacked any ooomph. My wife was unimpressed, which was a bummer, because it looked great in a Miami Blue! She drives a 2011 Lexus LS460 with the rare Sport package (380HP, IS F gearbox, big 6-piston Brembos) so she was shocked that the Cayman felt slower than her 9 year old sedan (it’s a great sedan). We also both found the Cayman seats to be wildly hard and uncomfortable.

The GTS and GT4 versions should be stellar, just not the base 718 for me. I’d rather have a 13 year old 987. Go drive one, then get in your car. Then tell me if I’m crazy, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      01-28-2020 10:52 AM #327
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      It was a pdk. I have not driven the S, which I’m sure would be better. Steering was terrific, But in base form, the 718 just sounded wheezy and felt sluggish. Not bad from 0-40 but then it just lacked any ooomph. My wife was unimpressed, which was a bummer, because it looked great in a Miami Blue! She drives a 2011 Lexus LS460 with the rare Sport package (380HP, IS F gearbox, big 6-piston Brembos) so she was shocked that the Cayman felt slower than her 9 year old sedan (it’s a great sedan). We also both found the Cayman seats to be wildly hard and uncomfortable.

The GTS and GT4 versions should be stellar, just not the base 718 for me. I’d rather have a 13 year old 987. Go drive one, then get in your car. Then tell me if I’m crazy, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong.
      Whoa how about some pics of this bad boy? For a while back in 2017 I was looking for one but they're hard to come by. They also have a much better looking front grille than the regular models.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

4. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      01-28-2020 03:49 PM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      Whoa how about some pics of this bad boy? For a while back in 2017 I was looking for one but they're hard to come by. They also have a much better looking front grille than the regular models.
      Yeah, they are hard to find! Hers has only 62k miles on it, so I hesitate to replace it. Such a great car. She wants something a little smaller now that our kids are grown and gone. So maybe I’ll start a thread for this... it isn’t something everyone loves, but there are fans.

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      01-28-2020 07:00 PM #329
      Nice. The 2012s were the last model before they went all predator grille. Definitely keep it.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      05-16-2020 06:13 PM #330
      The car sat outside for about a week while the garage epoxy was curing. Got pretty dirty from some windy days so I washed it last Friday and drove it to the Malibu canyons. Didn't drive too hard and almost got my mirror taken off by a white 458 that crossed the double yellows in a tight corner. Still felt good to row through the gears.

Anyway, it was a pleasant, partly cloudy day where I drove up through the fog on one side, then back into the sun on the other side of the mountain.

My Quick Jack is supposed to arrive today (well, it was supposed to arrive on Thursday but FedEx said there was a "weather delay" causing it to slip to Friday, and then again to today. )

Once I have it assembled, I think its first use will be a routine maintenance task and the subject of Episode 1 of Kianski Car Stories. I'll post pictures too.

7. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-16-2020 07:07 PM #331
      Gorgeous.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      05-16-2020 07:49 PM #332
      Glad to see this thread back.

Vehicles
      11' G37S Vert / '17 Golf R / '19 CX5 Sig
      05-16-2020 09:37 PM #333
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Glad to see this thread back.
      Yup! Great to follow, especially while shopping for a 987/981.

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-16-2020 10:03 PM #334
      Nice pictures good sir.

Oh, and beauty of a car.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Vehicles
      '19 Odyssey, '19 Macan, '08 Miata
      05-17-2020 03:31 PM #335
      The car sat outside for about a week while the garage epoxy was curing. Got pretty dirty from some windy days so I washed it last Friday and drove it to the Malibu canyons. Didn't drive too hard and almost got my mirror taken off by a white 458 that crossed the double yellows in a tight corner. Still felt good to row through the gears.

Anyway, it was a pleasant, partly cloudy day where I drove up through the fog on one side, then back into the sun on the other side of the mountain.

My Quick Jack is supposed to arrive today (well, it was supposed to arrive on Thursday but FedEx said there was a "weather delay" causing it to slip to Friday, and then again to today. )

Once I have it assembled, I think its first use will be a routine maintenance task and the subject of Episode 1 of Kianski Car Stories. I'll post pictures too.
      Awesome. How funny we have had similar thinking. I hit Decker Canyon yesterday in the Miata and my quickjack (Costco) is supposed to be here Tuesday.

Vehicles
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
      05-17-2020 04:32 PM #336
      Looks great. Not to hijack your thread, but I'm *cough* selling my 2011 Base Cayman if anyone is interested. Need to free up some space in the garage for the new arrival...

[IMG][/IMG]

Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      05-17-2020 04:58 PM #337
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Looks great. Not to hijack your thread, but I'm *cough* selling my 2011 Base Cayman if anyone is interested. Need to free up some space in the garage for the new arrival...

[IMG][/IMG]
      New arrival?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      05-17-2020 06:38 PM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      New arrival?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      You bet. Picked up something that I believe is at the bottom of it's depreciation curve. Should be here by next weekend, and I'll add the obligatory thread so you can all criticize my madness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      05-18-2020 03:31 AM #339
      Nice to see some quality aftermarket wheels on a Porsche. Saw these on a 991 here lately and it looked just right:

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      05-18-2020 09:31 AM #340
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
      Link to FS post?
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

Vehicles
      05-18-2020 01:06 PM #341
      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      Link to FS post?
      I expect it to go up on BAT shortly, but if you are interested before then contact me directly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      05-18-2020 02:28 PM #342
      Quote Originally Posted by NailsInOurBacks View Post
      Awesome. How funny we have had similar thinking. I hit Decker Canyon yesterday in the Miata and my quickjack (Costco) is supposed to be here Tuesday.
      Tuesday, eh? When did you order yours? I ordered it last Monday and after not arriving on Saturday, it got pushed to tomorrow too. Maybe they're consolidating all the shipments.

The nice thing is I'll be able to use it for both cars without needing the extensions.

Vehicles
      '19 Odyssey, '19 Macan, '08 Miata
      05-19-2020 11:55 AM #343
      Tuesday, eh? When did you order yours? I ordered it last Monday and after not arriving on Saturday, it got pushed to tomorrow too. Maybe they're consolidating all the shipments.

The nice thing is I'll be able to use it for both cars without needing the extensions.
      I received a Delay Notification email approximately 19 hours ago. Estimated to ship 5/20/2020. Ordered it on the 13th. Saw it was a 5-8 day shipping quote on initial order, then nothing, now this. My wife mentioned all her items ordered from Costco the past couple of months have been delayed to ship.

Yep. Stoked to use this thing. Should have picked one up years ago. We purchased a couple of Covid cars - 08' NC Miata and 08' Mazdaspeed 3. Both are getting the basics right now; rotors, pads, lines, fluids, filters, coilovers, bracing, catch cans, etc. eager to get the lift in so I can save the hassle getting them on/off jackstands over the next several weeks. I gotta check out how the Macan will fit on the lift, too, google search shows others have had success with the #5000 unit.

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV
      06-26-2020 04:49 PM #344
      It's already installed, I just need to get some post-install sound clips and then I'll share that update.

Overall it was a pretty straightforward swap, unlike the suspension.

Bummer about the Boxster but if you're looking at 987.1 cars, there are definitely a lot more around. Do it.
      Pretty much one year to the day!
      Bought an 07 Boxster S today.... Imma bug you for sources of lots of stuff.

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      06-26-2020 05:16 PM #345
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      Pretty much one year to the day!
      Bought an 07 Boxster S today.... Imma bug you for sources of lots of stuff.

Hell yeah dude! Congrats!

Glad I could be a positive influence.

You making a thread?

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV
      06-26-2020 07:24 PM #346
      Not so much.
      The bar has been set too high

100% inspired by this thread tho.
      It sealed the deal, the search for the right car has been long.

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      06-26-2020 09:17 PM #347
      Quote Originally Posted by rammalammadingdong View Post
      Not so much.
      The bar has been set too high

100% inspired by this thread tho.
      It sealed the deal, the search for the right car has been long.
      Ha...please. But happy to help any way I can.

At least post pics!

I'm planning on filming some basic maintenance tomorrow but probably won't edit and upload the video until I get some more content.

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      06-30-2020 05:18 AM #348
      Started working on the car again over the weekend and ordered some new primed parts.

I made the mistake of napping after work, but my body really needed it as I passed out for 4 hours. Went to grab a burger and decided to take the long way and make a hyperlapse video.

There's a fun twisty road I was gonna take through the hills but once I got to where it started, it was blocked off by cops who'd pulled over a WRX. Decided to nope outta there with a U-turn.

25. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      06-30-2020 12:33 PM #349
      Started working on the car again over the weekend and ordered some new primed parts.

I made the mistake of napping after work, but my body really needed it as I passed out for 4 hours. Went to grab a burger and decided to take the long way and make a hyperlapse video.

There's a fun twisty road I was gonna take through the hills but once I got to where it started, it was blocked off by cops who'd pulled over a WRX. Decided to nope outta there with a U-turn.

What lens are you using? And what mount is that?
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

26. 06-30-2020 12:41 PM #350
      That's hyper even at 1/4 speed on YT.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast