Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Turbo upgrade and tuning option input

Vehicles
      MKlV GTi
      02-06-2019 10:41 PM #1
      Just wanted to see what you guys had. When the IE450t kit was first released I was drooling over it. Then the price and reviews came out, so I'm avoiding that .

Never been a fan of APR, it seems like they have gotten alot better. Even though price is high, seems lik alot people run thier gtx kit

All the TTE420/TTE480 info I find seems to be over seas. Look like United Motorsports is the tune to go with them

So I guess my question would be anyone have any input or insight on a TTE build, CTS BOSS kit, or should I build my own gtx turbo kit and upgrade my unitronic tune to a BT file?

Thanks 🍻

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 1989 S50 swapped E30
      02-10-2019 10:48 PM #2
      I'm trying to figure that out as well.
      Flickr
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

Vehicles
      2004/vw/r32
      03-10-2019 03:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Bryoc View Post
      Just wanted to see what you guys had. When the IE450t kit was first released I was drooling over it. Then the price and reviews came out, so I'm avoiding that .

Never been a fan of APR, it seems like they have gotten alot better. Even though price is high, seems lik alot people run thier gtx kit

All the TTE420/TTE480 info I find seems to be over seas. Look like United Motorsports is the tune to go with them

So I guess my question would be anyone have any input or insight on a TTE build, CTS BOSS kit, or should I build my own gtx turbo kit and upgrade my unitronic tune to a BT file?

Thanks 🍻

okay for for the TTE stuff, APR offers a tune for the 420...no other options, you also must buy their wastegate which is only available from one vendor i believe. UM can tune any TTE turbo.

The cts boss turbos are really shining these days, with the gtx gen2 stuff, again UM can and will tune it zero issue. you could use eurodyne but IMO thata playing with fire unless you have someone protuning it.

I personally have never seen anyone with a Uni BT turbo tune doing any work...as for A custom kit there are some options, atp turbo, cts manifold etc. but in those cases you will be fighting with fitment and something that isnt proven.

I will not comment on the apr kit other than saying the turbos are old tech and afaik they have no plans to go to a gen 2 and will not make adjustments to their tune if you swap yourself (many people have gone UM with those kits because well...UM).

hope i helped.
      My Build Thread https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...T-Build-thread
      2013 Golf R - CTS/C2 Stage 2+
      2008 Evo X GSR 334/365--SOLD
      2014 Tiguan R-Line - APR Stage 1
      2004 R32-CTS STAGE4 474/521

5. 03-10-2019 06:19 PM #4
      I am in the same boat. Here's what my research has found.

-Mabotech has bolt on kits available that are actual ball bearing turbos. They build them to utilize the existing exhaust system, with stock VAG 4 bolt mount, which is very appealing to me..
      – Specially made flow optimized 1.5” runners, high Nickel ultra durable manifold with integrated turbine housing.
      – Mabotech Turbocharger with 11 equal length fins compressor wheel and Inconel Turbine Wheel.
      – Stage II adjustable billet VITON piston type wastegate actuator with custom bracket.
      – Turbocharger also includes Anti-surge Housing, Localized n75, DV, Intake and Discharge ports.
      – VAG 4 Bolt stock position down-pipe port for easy installation and aftermarket down-pipe compatibility.

TTE480. Direct bolt on, but is still a journal bearing turbo. Not a ton of tuning options that I am aware of...

One big question for me is at what point are internals required in an R. Have you figured this out?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Gray; '12 Golf R 2Dr Black (totaled hail)
      03-11-2019 07:13 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jed02gtiguy View Post
      One big question for me is at what point are internals required in an R. Have you figured this out?
      All evidence points to the bottom end being strong enough to support 450HP. That was the word for many years and then IE released their 450 kit which is limited to save the bottom end. If you build the bottom end that same kit can produce 500 (or maybe a little more IIRC).
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded CSG - Diesel Geek, Delete R Badges, USP Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Rebadge.com, Volant CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, USRT W/M, VWR Streetsport Plus, H&R RSB, SPM motor mounts

7. 03-11-2019 01:16 PM #6
      So the question I cannot seem to find is, are our internals different than a MKV GTI 08 and older? Does the R have forged rods? I am making 355 AWHP right now with the stock turbo on E85, zero issues. that's got to be around the 400 crank HP mark. I want 450 AWHP, I wonder if that is going to work or not with the stock internals. I guess I can find out, lol.

Also, it's more about torque delivery anyway, right?

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-12-2019 12:57 PM #7
      I've been kicking around the idea of going with a TTE420 kit on my car as well, as I'm already APR Stage2+. However, if I total up what I'd have left on the table to purchase it makes my wallet cringe a bit. Even though to go stage 3 in most cases I'd probably be around the same cost if not more.

Things I still need to complete a TTE420 kit

The TTE420 = $2,600
      APR LPFP = $649.99
      APR TTE Tune = $999
      Gaskets/hardware = $200
      Labor = $200
      -----------------------------

$4,650 for the kit, and that's to go from APR's 337hp at the crank claim for my Stage 2+ to their 400hp at the crank claim for 93 octane.
      2012' 2 door Rising Blue Golf R - APR Stage 2+, CTS intake, CTS Discharge pipe, Neuspeed FMIC, APR DP, APR RFD, Forge Short Shift kit, ST Coilovers, Milltek exhaust plus plenty more

9. 03-14-2019 07:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Bryoc View Post

Thanks 🍻

Another option that happens to be on sale right now and comes with a really well received turbo. These CTS kits are all on sale. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part...xoCyBsQAvD_BwE

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-14-2019 08:11 PM #9
      I am making 355 AWHP right now with the stock turbo on E85, zero issues

Would be nice to make these numbers on the stock turbo reliably. Can you PM me with your setup?

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      03-15-2019 11:34 AM #10
      Another option that happens to be on sale right now and comes with a really well received turbo. These CTS kits are all on sale. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part...xoCyBsQAvD_BwE
      I was looking at that too. I'm also in talks with Frank @ Mabotech about a pending "M550" kit.

I was first pretty dead-set on the IE450T kit figuring the bad reviews was a limited sample. But there really is nothing out there on the kit other than a hand-full of good reviews on that bad experience thread.

I sent an e-mail to IE enquiring about their kits capabilities including getting their rods, and getting the mahle pistons and their valve springs at the same time. I thought when someone is inquiring about what their ~$9K would get them, they'd e-mail back. Nope. So I called. The sales guy seemed like he was bored of being at work and distracted by something (probably facebook on instagram or something going on in his primary process while speaking to a potential customer) and really didn't want to answer any questions. I asked about the bigger turbo eluded to in one of the threads and he said the one in the kit as all they support. I asked if it would possible, with a built bottom end and their valves, if more than the 426whp on 93 octane is possible. He said no. I asked if the intake manifold or any other of their products could compliment this kit for a bit more power, he claimed he wasn't really sure but that it probably wouldn't give much. The only way to take advantage of your built block with their kit, is with the "race fuel" files. They don't limit the kit for the stock block, the turbo is what sets that limit with stock LPFP fueling 93 octane. While on the call, and growing frustrated with the "I want to go home now" attitude that rep had, I asked if he could respond to the rest of the questions on the e-mail, since he had it pulled up. That was Monday I believe, still waiting on that e-mail.

Talking with Frank at Mabotech, I think we need to have more detailed discussion (he's said as much, we're both busy dudes so talks are on hold til we can arrange a time for a call.. be he seems legitimately interested in helping me get as close to my goals within my budget). I just don't like the idea of remote tuning from the aspect that he only has the data... I need this car to NOT blow the engine in the tuning process... I think I'm leaning this way though.

I also considered the CTS BOSS600 kit. Depending on the cost of the Mabotech setup, I may end up with this kit.. and have Mabotech tune it.

I currently have a UM tune but don't feel like driving 4+ hours to the closest dealer which is a shop with very bad reviews. That and I've been dealing with an underboosting issue on my car for 4+ years and gave up about 2 years ago in working with UM to resolve it. They claim not making requested boost while opening the wastegate is normal. I'm down on power, not making requested boost, pulling timing, so if that's normal for UM then with familiar components (basic 2+ stock turbo car...), I can't put faith in them tuning a turbo that likely could blow the engine with the "minimal build" (rods, pistons, valve springs) I have budgeted.
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Daily Driven (when it's not broken)
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driven (when Corrado's broken)

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 02:53 PM #12
      ~$5500 without "installation kit" and before shipping to US and duties?

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 03:42 PM #14
      I think the BOSS kit is cheaper on sale right now. And more "direct fit". Anybody know if the EVOMS intake fits over their turbo now? I swear somebody said you don't need their DV and intake anymore but the site still shows that you "may" need their intake...

14. 03-15-2019 07:42 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      I think the BOSS kit is cheaper on sale right now. And more "direct fit". Anybody know if the EVOMS intake fits over their turbo now? I swear somebody said you don't need their DV and intake anymore but the site still shows that you "may" need their intake...
      I pulled the trigger on this today, but I hear the sale ends in a couple days, it's now or never.
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-part...xoCyBsQAvD_BwE

For me I have a very good shop very close by that works with UM and my tune has been awesome, so I am going to stick with that. It sounds like this GTX3071r is a twin scroll too. A very good turbo.

One issue I am having is finding injectors that will work. Evidently, the RS4 injectors have a different fueling spray angle and hit the cylinder wall. This is problematic... I am not sure what to do for a better injector. I have heard that the GM turbo cars use a similar slightly larger injector.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 08:18 PM #16
      Lucky to be close to a dealer.

I think I'm going to see the M550 turns out to be.

Are you building up?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

16. 03-15-2019 09:19 PM #17
      If I didn't already have the investment in the UM Proflex and want to keep it, I would probably go Mabo as well.

I plan to do drop in rods in a few months and maybe fueling. I'll see if I like it where it gets tuned and go from there. My goal is 450 AWHP in the near term.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 09:23 PM #18
      Pretty sure you need rods and valve springs by then. I'm doing pistons too just in case (I have the same goal, but on 93 pump). I'll figure out which with Frank.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-15-2019 11:59 PM #19
      I pulled the trigger on this today, but I hear the sale ends in a couple days, it's now or never.
      [url]https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-parts/ea113-20t-turbo-kit/cts-ea113-boss~c/?gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE7yYxrbCL47dDZgZNQ0P nGrBrJF7jEScVH7NONaTORJOXynqUBKF_LxoCyBsQAvD_BwE[/url
      This looks delicious