Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo upgrade and tuning option input

1. 05-11-2019 04:58 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by TimS78 View Post
      Yeah, being a hybrid K04 is the TTE's main problem. I haven't looked at CTS at all - I've had nothing but trouble with their parts and service, so their turbo kit isn't even on my radar.

TurboZentrum makes direct replacement EFR turbos, but they aren't complete kits and require some custom work (plus there's a guy here who's running one and has some issues with it).

Maybe I'll just max out my IE setup with their intake manifold and be done with it.
      That sucks about your experience with CTS, I met the owner a few weeks ago and he showed me around the place. He was super nice and seemed genuinely interested in seeing my car progress.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      88 M3 - Sold but not forgotten, 06 EVO - RIP, 95 M3 - Sold, 12 CSG MK6 R
      05-11-2019 11:35 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Why didn’t you stay with IE’s software?

I did for about 2 years and it worked fine. I had UM's tune when I had the stock turbo and really liked it so decided to give them a try. Don't think it increased the peak horsepower as the stock fueling is the limiting factor under both tunes, however I do think the car runs smoother and that transient throttle response is more crisp. These are things that won't show up on a dyno but do affect the feel and enjoyment of the car. Really don't want to start a UM vs IE debate as I am really happy with both of them and believe it is in the best interests of the community to support both. I like the UM tune better but I am very happy with the hardware that IE put together and the service and support they have provided me not just in regards to the kit but also for other needs for my R. The car feels more like somebody dropped in a bigger engine vs the on/off feel I have experienced when I had my Mitsubishi Evo with an aftermarket turbo.

4. 05-12-2019 10:34 PM #53
      Did you have Jeff tune remotely or are you local to him?

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      88 M3 - Sold but not forgotten, 06 EVO - RIP, 95 M3 - Sold, 12 CSG MK6 R
      05-13-2019 09:09 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Did you have Jeff tune remotely or are you local to him?
      There is a dealer close to me and they worked with Jeff to do it remotely.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R CSG Loaded
      05-14-2019 01:59 AM #55
      Chiming in here..... I am going full god mode... well sorta.

I just ordered the non-BOSS kit from CTS them with the GTX3071R setup. The plans are internals (rods and pistons), along with a lot more. DPI water/meth on an IE intake manifold. The goal is 500-525 range for a spirited weekend/auto-x/track car.

My entire build list is on a google drive. All in all its going to be around 12-14k depending on what the block looks like when I pull it.

Future Plans:
      CTS GTX3071R Turbo Kit $4,499.00 Ordered
      IE Forged Rods Rifle Drilled (144x20mm) $572.00
      Mahle Forged Pistons with Accessories (9.3:1, 82.5mm, Tools Steel Wrist Pins, Tuff Skirt Coating) $750.00
      Snow Performance Stage 3 injector controlled Water Meth EFI 50/50 $700.00
      Aquamist Water Meth Injectors (0.4mm/110cc) $200.00 Ordered
      IE Intake Manifold $950.00
      IE Intake Manifold Install Kit $80.00
      ARP Head Stud Kit $167.00
      Stage 3 boost controller $400.00
      Audi TTRS drop-in tank LPFP $350.00
      Tank Seal $12.00
      High Pressure Rail Check Valve 155 bar $200.00
      Injector fittings $100.00
      Head Gasket $87.00
      Valve Cover Gasket $30.00
      Balance Shaft/Oil Pump Bolts $0.00?
      Coolant Flange / o-ring end of cylinder head $0.00?
      Turbo Blanket $250.00
      Exhaust Wrap $40.00
      Timing Belt $170.00
      Oil $40.00
      Oil Filter $10.00
      VW Coolant $30.00
      Oil resistant gasket sealer $0.00
      RTV silicon $14.00
      ARP Ultra Torque Sealer $20.00
      Engine Stand $100.00
      Brake Cleaner (6 cans) $40.00
      Fire Extinguisher $187.00 Installed
      Fire Extinguisher Bracketeer Quick Release Kit $67.00 Installed
      Block Labor to Re-Hone and Internals Install (50ftlbs on rods) $350.00
      UM Custom Stage 3 Big Turbo Tuning $1,000.00

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      05-14-2019 08:24 AM #56
      That far in, balance the rotating assembly and do valve springs and retainers, you probably want to rev that put more. (My future plans anyway)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Daily Driven (when it's not broken)
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driven (when Corrado's broken)

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R CSG Loaded
      05-15-2019 11:39 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      That far in, balance the rotating assembly and do valve springs and retainers, you probably want to rev that put more. (My future plans anyway)

Do you think I should? I mean I am going to be in there anyways. Might as well right?

I think I need to call up Joey and ask.... It might be a safe option. I am looking for longevity. I tend to ride her hard.

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 12:06 AM #58
      I mean your thoughts there is my thinking. And then tuner suggested tdi crank, and things are just kinda building off of that. (Plans anyway.. next year's bonus, lol)

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 1989 S50 swapped E30
      05-16-2019 10:10 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by WannaProjectJetta View Post
      Do you think I should? I mean I am going to be in there anyways. Might as well right?

I think I need to call up Joey and ask.... It might be a safe option. I am looking for longevity. I tend to ride her hard.
      You may as well. I'm sure Joey would agree. DJM are good people.
      DCIVW
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R CSG Loaded
      05-17-2019 01:24 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by skidplate View Post
      You may as well. I'm sure Joey would agree. DJM are good people.
      I was looking at it again, I might as well like buy a crate engine at this point and buy a pre-assembled head with all upgraded parts...

I'll give Joey a call tomorrow and see what he thinks. I haven't had a chance to call him up with my wall of questions!

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 1989 S50 swapped E30
      05-17-2019 10:55 AM #61
      He's definitely the right guy to ask. They know some great machine shops around the area, but a crate engine could potentially be worth it, so you can make the swap quick unless you can track down a spare engine to do the work on.
      DCIVW
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

Vehicles
      05-17-2019 04:52 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by skidplate View Post
      ... unless you can track down a spare engine to do the work on.
      For financial reasons, this is the route I'll be going. Keeping an eye out for local "engine dying" GTIs too, ha ha.

14. 05-18-2019 02:47 PM #63
      Chiming in here..... I am going full god mode... well sorta.

I just ordered the non-BOSS kit from CTS them with the GTX3071R setup. The plans are internals (rods and pistons), along with a lot more. DPI water/meth on an IE intake manifold. The goal is 500-525 range for a spirited weekend/auto-x/track car.

My entire build list is on a google drive. All in all its going to be around 12-14k depending on what the block looks like when I pull it.

Future Plans:
      CTS GTX3071R Turbo Kit $4,499.00 Ordered
      IE Forged Rods Rifle Drilled (144x20mm) $572.00
      Mahle Forged Pistons with Accessories (9.3:1, 82.5mm, Tools Steel Wrist Pins, Tuff Skirt Coating) $750.00
      Snow Performance Stage 3 injector controlled Water Meth EFI 50/50 $700.00
      Aquamist Water Meth Injectors (0.4mm/110cc) $200.00 Ordered
      IE Intake Manifold $950.00
      IE Intake Manifold Install Kit $80.00
      ARP Head Stud Kit $167.00
      Stage 3 boost controller $400.00
      Audi TTRS drop-in tank LPFP $350.00
      Tank Seal $12.00
      High Pressure Rail Check Valve 155 bar $200.00
      Injector fittings $100.00
      Head Gasket $87.00
      Valve Cover Gasket $30.00
      Balance Shaft/Oil Pump Bolts $0.00?
      Coolant Flange / o-ring end of cylinder head $0.00?
      Turbo Blanket $250.00
      Exhaust Wrap $40.00
      Timing Belt $170.00
      Oil $40.00
      Oil Filter $10.00
      VW Coolant $30.00
      Oil resistant gasket sealer $0.00
      RTV silicon $14.00
      ARP Ultra Torque Sealer $20.00
      Engine Stand $100.00
      Brake Cleaner (6 cans) $40.00
      Fire Extinguisher $187.00 Installed
      Fire Extinguisher Bracketeer Quick Release Kit $67.00 Installed
      Block Labor to Re-Hone and Internals Install (50ftlbs on rods) $350.00
      UM Custom Stage 3 Big Turbo Tuning $1,000.00

I am curious as to why you went with the non-boss kit? Also, I can tell you that running the GTX3071R, you will want more RPM, I know I do. Also, is your car stock today? I went with the BOSS kit because it literally bolts to my existing APR turbo back, I suppose if you have a stock DP, then you wouldn't want to do that. Also, what is the boos controller for? If you do UM software you can get OBDelevn or VAG com and adjust your boost levels in the system. You can also adjust your boost for No lift shift and for launch with that programming. Also, I can't talk about it, but you might want to wait on that IE intake manifold. I am in Portland and doing a similar build to you, maybe we should stay in touch. I just had my BOSS kit installed and tuned at DJM, but then I had a clutch problem. I just got the clutch back yesterday and I will have the car back together tonight. Shoot me a text if you want to talk. Maybe you'll want to come take a ride at some point too. 360-920-5956 (Jed)

15. 05-18-2019 02:52 PM #64
      I was looking at it again, I might as well like buy a crate engine at this point and buy a pre-assembled head with all upgraded parts...

I'll give Joey a call tomorrow and see what he thinks. I haven't had a chance to call him up with my wall of questions!
      I have been thinking about doing the IE head, it's 3k without sending in yours. I think I am leaning toward just doing retainers, springs and valves and CAMs. I think the cost will be less and the performance will be better with CAMS. Also, the IE full built engine, is a bit of a bargain at $4k. I can afford to do this all now, but I just don't know if it is necessary. With a good tune these engines should support up to 500 Wheel HP. Hurdy proved this several years ago with his car in Australia. I might push mine and keep internals stock to see how it goes

16. 05-18-2019 02:54 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by jed02gtiguy View Post
      I have been thinking about doing the IE head, it's 3k without sending in yours. I think I am leaning toward just doing retainers, springs and valves and CAMs. I think the cost will be less and the performance will be better with CAMS. Also, the IE full built engine, is a bit of a bargain at $4k. I can afford to do this all now, but I just don't know if it is necessary. With a good tune these engines should support up to 500 Wheel HP. Hurdy proved this several years ago with his car in Australia. I might push mine and keep internals stock to see how it goes
      By the way, injectors and fueling is a big challenge for us. RS4 injectors and RS3 injectors aren't a great option according to Joey's research. We are talking maybe 20% more flow. For me, I am running e85 blend, so this is an extra big problem if I want to get enough fueling with the eblend. What's your plan there?

Vehicles
      05-18-2019 02:57 PM #66
      I am curious as to why you went with the non-boss kit? Also, I can tell you that running the GTX3071R, you will want more RPM, I know I do. Also, is your car stock today? I went with the BOSS kit because it literally bolts to my existing APR turbo back, I suppose if you have a stock DP, then you wouldn't want to do that. Also, what is the boos controller for? If you do UM software you can get OBDelevn or VAG com and adjust your boost levels in the system. You can also adjust your boost for No lift shift and for launch with that programming. Also, I can't talk about it, but you might want to wait on that IE intake manifold. I am in Portland and doing a similar build to you, maybe we should stay in touch. I just had my BOSS kit installed and tuned at DJM, but then I had a clutch problem. I just got the clutch back yesterday and I will have the car back together tonight. Shoot me a text if you want to talk. Maybe you'll want to come take a ride at some point too. ###-###-#### (Jed)
      I'll be in Portland for a job in 2 weeks. Might DM you then.. ha ha.

(BTW remove your number. DM it instead.)

Last edited by GTIVRon; 05-18-2019 at 03:00 PM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R CSG Loaded
      05-18-2019 03:21 PM #67
      I am curious as to why you went with the non-boss kit? Also, I can tell you that running the GTX3071R, you will want more RPM, I know I do. Also, is your car stock today? I went with the BOSS kit because it literally bolts to my existing APR turbo back, I suppose if you have a stock DP, then you wouldn't want to do that. Also, what is the boos controller for? If you do UM software you can get OBDelevn or VAG com and adjust your boost levels in the system. You can also adjust your boost for No lift shift and for launch with that programming. Also, I can't talk about it, but you might want to wait on that IE intake manifold. I am in Portland and doing a similar build to you, maybe we should stay in touch. I just had my BOSS kit installed and tuned at DJM, but then I had a clutch problem. I just got the clutch back yesterday and I will have the car back together tonight. Shoot me a text if you want to talk. Maybe you'll want to come take a ride at some point too. 360-920-5956 (Jed)
      Quoting here so others can see my input but I'll text you too (just realized we talked before and are on the Seattle R FB group).

I had my eye on the non-boss kit for a while and wanted to run it. It's still a Gen 2 turbo kit from Garrett so I am not too worried. I just wanted to do the setup since I started planning the build before the Boss 600 kit came out.

Car is not stock at all. It's pretty much maxed out on everything stage 2, hence the next jump is going a bit bigger than just a turbo. I have a spreadsheet with all my mods and the list is quite long since I have had the car for 4 years.

I was confused on this too, Joey put it on the parts quote he gave me and I was a little . I have a handful of questions for Joey and the one is why we need that controller. I know UM has all that stuff through VAG. I adjust octane and boost and stuff for each season.

By the way, injectors and fueling is a big challenge for us. RS4 injectors and RS3 injectors aren't a great option according to Joey's research. We are talking maybe 20% more flow. For me, I am running e85 blend, so this is an extra big problem if I want to get enough fueling with the eblend. What's your plan there?
      As for the fueling, that is what I was talking to Joey about. We were going to go with those custom ones that guy was making that were like 3k for a set of 4 but Fred from UM said its super difficult to tune for them, but when they are dialed in, they are insane. I asked about the rs4 injectors and Joey said the spray patterns aren't good for the 4 cylinders. I just planned on running pump + w/m. I already ordered the aquamist nozzles from that guy in the UK. Pricey but I heard they are the best in the bizzzz.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too, internals only + upgraded head to get to rev that puppy to 9k would be fun. I am more worried about my clutch holding up to it actually. It's the SB stage 3 daily. It's rated for 475tq.

Vehicles
      '95 Golf III Sport, '01 GTI VRT, '12 GTI, '04 R32, Current: stage 3 '13 Golf R
      05-21-2019 03:52 AM #68
      I might have missed it as sometimes.. often times reading > me, but has anyone with stage 3/3+ done any transmission work and what exactly? Micropolished gears or other? edit: also any syncro issues?

Asking for err... a friend. Don't mean to jack the thread, feel free to PM me.

BTW my car has the stage 3 CTS kit (gen2 3071r), rs4 injectors + rs 4 fuel pump + UM tune, stock internals. Can confirm, cold start is a bitch.
      Last edited by morbs_gt; 05-21-2019 at 04:02 AM.
      ^That guy that posts last and the thread dies.
      Sent from my vwvortex account. When in doubt..

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R CSG Loaded
      05-22-2019 02:11 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by morbs_gt View Post
      I might have missed it as sometimes.. often times reading > me, but has anyone with stage 3/3+ done any transmission work and what exactly? Micropolished gears or other? edit: also any syncro issues?

BTW my car has the stage 3 CTS kit (gen2 3071r), rs4 injectors + rs 4 fuel pump + UM tune, stock internals. Can confirm, cold start is a bitch.
      I saw some builds able to hold 600hp with the stock transmission. But. BUT. There was this thing I heard about some 3-4rd gears explode due to casing flex. The two shafts during flex, shift apart, and it would be less than 50% of gear teeth touching, hence the detonation of a trans.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R CSG Loaded
      05-22-2019 02:12 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by morbs_gt View Post

I'm doing the internals + watermeth to account for this. It'll help with the adjusted compression too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123