VWVortex.com - Exhaust Decision! 2015 R
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Exhaust Decision! 2015 R

1. 02-10-2019 08:18 AM #1
      hello.

I know to each his own style in terms of look and sound limits, but since videos do not give justice to exhaust sounds, I would like to know your opinions on a good catback system for my golf R 2015 model.

I have been looking into the following options:

1- IPE, Armitryx ... very expensive
      2- Xforce catback looks awesome with the Bluetooth control system
      3- Invidia Q300: sounds like stock!? no?
      4- Borla ??
      5- AWE SwitchPath: for now, it sounds the best but bit pricey.
      6- Milltek: I have a TBE on my Mk6R and it is awesome but not sure if I should get the same for my golf 7 R.

Your input is much appreciated guys.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-10-2019 08:27 AM #2
      You are correct it’s amazing how expensive exhausts are for this car, that being said have you looked at the Billy Boat exhaust? Sub $1000, have had a few of their exhausts and loved the smooth deeper tone
      Last edited by o1turbo20v; 02-10-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 16 Golf R
      02-10-2019 08:43 AM #3
      I have a Milltek exhaust on my R. I was drawn twards Milltek because I also have one on my R32. I have always been impressed with the quality of their products. Of course sound is subjective, but I think it sounds great!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 .:R
      02-10-2019 09:36 AM #4
      I have a exhaust thread list available check it out. Also I think the exhaust note depends on if you are planning on upgrading your downpipe as well. If not you can get a louder exhaust and not have a crazy amount of drone... but if so then a quieter exhaust system is a better pairing.

Having heard a lot of exhaust I love my Scorpion with BT and AWE downpipe. However if keeping stock DP then AWE exhaust is great. Or the Cobra Sport.

If you have the money .. the Supersprint sounds amazing

Thread here - https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...I)-2015-Golf-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 Oryx White Mk7 Golf R -- Built motor 586whp/487wtq/CTS BOSS600/PrecisionRW MPI w/ 1300cc injectors/IMS LPFP/UM DSG-ECU-Haldex/AWE DP & Uni IC/Scorpion Exhaust/VWR600 Intake/FluidAmpr

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      02-10-2019 10:17 AM #5
      Remus. But they all sound great I just think Remus is the best bang for your buck especially when on sale. https://youtu.be/hxSdTlo7oqw

2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6spd
      02-10-2019 10:32 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk7R400 View Post
      hello.

I know to each his own style in terms of look and sound limits, but since videos do not give justice to exhaust sounds, I would like to know your opinions on a good catback system for my golf R 2015 model.

I have been looking into the following options:

1- IPE, Armitryx ... very expensive
      2- Xforce catback looks awesome with the Bluetooth control system
      3- Invidia Q300: sounds like stock!? no?
      4- Borla ??
      5- AWE SwitchPath: for now, it sounds the best but bit pricey.
      6- Milltek: I have a TBE on my Mk6R and it is awesome but not sure if I should get the same for my golf 7 R.

Your input is much appreciated guys.
      I have the AWE Resonated Downpipes with the SwitchPath exhaust and it sounds great in my opinion. Everyone that has an R that I've given a ride with has been sold on it. That being said...do not buy an exhaust based on anyone's opinion. I found someone local and heard it in person and was sold.

Find someone local that so you can hear the exhaust in person. Local Facebook Groups are the best for this. People seem happy with Milltek, Remus and AWE from my research.

Good luck though!
      Instagram: @miamibournes_golfr
      Golf R Build
      United Motorsport Tuned @28psi 6MT (Launch Control & No Lift Shift)

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      02-10-2019 10:51 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by tonipepperoni77 View Post
      Remus. But they all sound great I just think Remus is the best bang for your buck especially when on sale. https://youtu.be/hxSdTlo7oqw

Sorry to to hijack OP's thread... Where do you get the Remus on sale? So far from what I've seen it's AWE and Remus are the best sounding "deep/low" tones with valves.. How would you say they compare?

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      02-10-2019 11:41 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecsta View Post
      Sorry to to hijack OP's thread... Where do you get the Remus on sale? So far from what I've seen it's AWE and Remus are the best sounding "deep/low" tones with valves.. How would you say they compare?
      Extreme power house does a big sale every Black Friday and maybe some other times of the year. And they definitely are very similar but to me the Remus has just a little more growl/ rasp to it. If it wasn’t so cold I would shoot some more clips but I can do that when it warms up this spring. I do like the AWE as well but wasn’t worth the price especially since it’s constantly gone up in price each year do to “cost of goods”. I paid $1475 for the 98mm street race tips in brushed silver.

2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

11. Member
      02-10-2019 02:56 PM #9
      APR! Best sounding exhaust by far for these cars

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      02-10-2019 06:45 PM #10
      Extreme power house does a big sale every Black Friday and maybe some other times of the year. And they definitely are very similar but to me the Remus has just a little more growl/ rasp to it. If it wasn’t so cold I would shoot some more clips but I can do that when it warms up this spring. I do like the AWE as well but wasn’t worth the price especially since it’s constantly gone up in price each year do to “cost of goods”. I paid $1475 for the 98mm street race tips in brushed silver.

That would be amazing if you could get any sounds clip, but absolutely no rush haha i'm still too poor to purchase until summer. What mid pipe did you go with? Straight pipe?

I'll sign up for their newsletter.

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      02-10-2019 06:53 PM #11
      That would be amazing if you could get any sounds clip, but absolutely no rush haha i'm still too poor to purchase until summer. What mid pipe did you go with? Straight pipe?

Yup their straight “race” pipe and no problem. I will get some videos out this spring

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG DBP, '03 C5 Z06 MY
      02-10-2019 09:51 PM #12
      Great question, I've never seen anyone with an R in person that had aftermarket exhaust. I've spotted 2 or 3 since I've had mine and all looked bone stock. From videos, IPE sounds the best and gives the best crackle and overall sounds (without any stupid crackle tune). If anyone can show me a cheaper exhaust that make this kind of sound just from the exhaust (downpipe + catback) please do share it. IPE is expensive, but if you want that sound I'm not hearing it even on video from any others.

I don't understand why the downpipes are so expensive on the R, most want $1,600 for them which is most of the cost of some of these entire catback systems. IPE only charges $800, but the rest of their exhaust is absurdly expensive plus exorbitant shipping costs. I did the math and the full IPE downpipe + exhaust after shipping is just over $4k but if you do for comparison a full APR downpipe + exhaust it's somewhere over $3k IIRC so not a huge savings and the APR does not sound as good IMO.
      Last edited by EvilR; 02-10-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Vehicles
      MK7 Golf R [Lapiz] MK4 .:R32 [BMP]
      02-11-2019 05:03 AM #13
      Instagram: Br32yce
      Lapiz Blue MK7 R [6mt]
      Most of Racingline's parts paired with a UM Tune!
      Youtube.com/c/BryceJordanProductions <- MK7/VW content - Autocross//Drag//Installs//Reviews!

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      02-11-2019 08:45 AM #14
      Yup their straight “race” pipe and no problem. I will get some videos out this spring

Amazing! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilR View Post
      Great question, I've never seen anyone with an R in person that had aftermarket exhaust. I've spotted 2 or 3 since I've had mine and all looked bone stock. From videos, IPE sounds the best and gives the best crackle and overall sounds (without any stupid crackle tune). If anyone can show me a cheaper exhaust that make this kind of sound just from the exhaust (downpipe + catback) please do share it. IPE is expensive, but if you want that sound I'm not hearing it even on video from any others.
      FYI just so you're not disappointed when you get it ROW R's all come with a very mild crackle from the factory, it's not really the exhaust adding that noise. If you listen to ROW R's you'll hear the crackle on stock exhausts (more pronounced on the akropovic). That guy in the video is from Australia. Otherwise the sound would be the same, less the crackles.

I would also try to listen in person if possible, at least for the Remus/APR/AWE ones because videos don't do exhausts justice.. Especially if you're going to drop a lot of coin.

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6spd
      02-11-2019 12:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by SubrosaVR6 View Post
      Man, you are really nailing those NLS's! I still need to practice them and get my mind over it.

Haven't heard Remus in person but I'm sure they sound great. They sound good in videos.

I know you aren't asking for these sounds but thought I would share since...sharing is caring.

All of these are with a United Motorsport tune. They don't do the rice crispies for kids tune but their tune did add a few pops here and there which was not on purpose. Just a nature of the tune.

Stock DP w/Resonator Delete:

Stock DP w/AWE SwitchPath:

AWE Resonated DP w/AWE SwithPath (cold start only for now):
      Golf R Build

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG DBP, '03 C5 Z06 MY
      02-11-2019 01:25 PM #16
      Amazing! Thanks.

FYI just so you're not disappointed when you get it ROW R's all come with a very mild crackle from the factory, it's not really the exhaust adding that noise. If you listen to ROW R's you'll hear the crackle on stock exhausts (more pronounced on the akropovic). That guy in the video is from Australia. Otherwise the sound would be the same, less the crackles.

I would also try to listen in person if possible, at least for the Remus/APR/AWE ones because videos don't do exhausts justice.. Especially if you're going to drop a lot of coin.
      Yeah, knew some of that which does suck.

For those who already have an exhaust, how many hours did a shop take to do your install (assuming you did not DIY)? I talked with a place that said for a DP + exhaust install it would probably be 6 hours labor and that most shops charge about $100/hr. That's damn costly IMO, but wanted to verify if that sounded normal. These exhausts seem like they'd be a bit too much PITA to DIY without a lift (which I don't have).

19. Member
      02-11-2019 01:39 PM #17

For those who already have an exhaust, how many hours did a shop take to do your install (assuming you did not DIY)? I talked with a place that said for a DP + exhaust install it would probably be 6 hours labor and that most shops charge about $100/hr. That's damn costly IMO, but wanted to verify if that sounded normal. These exhausts seem like they'd be a bit too much PITA to DIY without a lift (which I don't have).
      Catback was like $190 to install +$60 for one of those heavy duty VW exhaust clamps for mating to the stock downpipe. Downpipe install is usually around $300-400. ($90/hr/)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6spd
      02-11-2019 01:40 PM #18

The DP is a pain and you can do it on jack stands but it should take a shop with experience maybe 2-3hrs. I paid to get it done since it was winter and I wanted it installed sooner than later. A full exhaust from a shop though shouldn't take more than 4hrs I think.

I DIY'd my catback and that was simple enough. Hardest part was getting off those exhaust hangers and lining it up. The DP is where the labor costs will be the most.
      Golf R Build

21. 02-25-2019 10:09 AM #19
      I ended up having the X-Force Catback with the Varex Bluetooth control from mobile of controlling the flaps. i will post some videos soon.