VWVortex.com - MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-23-2019 01:43 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Another great thread How cold is the water?!

How much longer are you on the road? This is your second (?) road trip you have shared - in the future, would you keep going in the GTI or what would be an "ideal" option with all the things now that you have these experiences traveling.
      The snow melt was running into the lake, I was swimming on the side where the melt was just flowing in.(not to pick a colder side but it was the side away from most other people)

I need to be back at work Friday morning so I am enjoying my last few days. This is my 3rd trip in the GTI. 2015 18k miles 65 days, 2018 9 day 5k miles and this year 30 or so days around 9k miles.

I don’t think there is an ideal car for roadtripping. I love my friends Tacoma but it’s 4x more expensive and takes more than 2x the fuel. Ideally, I would love to keep the GTI running to see all 50 states and then retire it as a piece I can look at and remember the stories.

The hope is Alaska in 2020 but realistically it will be 2021 since 944 wants time/money and so does the house. Roadtrips can be affordable but they take a lot of time, I have a few months of planning into this roadtrip because you want a plan A, B and a C.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Send her this picture and she will move right out on you.

Topless.ing
      🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      That spot near the lake, where you cooked a meal.

What a terrible place to have to cook a meal, that view, horrible.
      It is, couldn’t wait to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      07-23-2019 05:41 PM #177
      Damn man your photos are killing me. I love summer out there.

Do you have the option of moving out west with your job? Seems like you can get a lot done remotely which makes you a perfect candidate for living in ID or MT. And seems like you really love it.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-24-2019 07:33 AM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Damn man your photos are killing me. I love summer out there.

Do you have the option of moving out west with your job? Seems like you can get a lot done remotely which makes you a perfect candidate for living in ID or MT. And seems like you really love it.
      That conversation has came up a few times, unfortunately I can complete around 70% of my work remotely. The current conversation is hopefully get 1 month each year where I can work remotely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 19, July 14th: I woke up at 4:45am and was in Many Glacier by 5:30am, there was no line for camping.. I sat by the park rangers office until 6:30am just to learn I was in the wrong area, the line was next to registration! Dammit.. I got to registration and found that there was just 1 car in line, I was lucky. My guess is part of why there weren't many people lining up to camp in Many Glacier was because they were allowing "hard sided" camping only due to bear activity, once again, the GTI build paid off!

Since the people that were occupying my site were still packing, I set off to do some hiking. The hike I chose for the first day was up to Grinnell Glacier. The climb up was actually easy so I went past the overlook and was able to get on the glacier itself. I didn't want to climb on the glacier to much since you don't know the thickness and there were places where it collapsed. Since the hike was easier than expected I also did a connecting hike to Grinnell Lake. I was back at my campsite before 5pm, after cooking late lunch, I jumped into the stream next to my campsite for a shower, it was cooold! One of the aspects that I enjoy about camping and hiking is how easy it is to meet people that you can then spend the rest of the hike or evening conversing.

With everything done, I went back to Babb to catch some LTEs to do some work, I needed to relax since I wanted to do a 16 miles+ hike the following day. I also noticed that my GTI started to drink oil, I never had this issue but at 5800 miles since last oil change I was on the low side of the dipstick. I will have to find some oil and keep an eye on this, hopefully it is not the turbo giving out.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 07-24-2019 at 08:10 AM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      07-24-2019 08:09 AM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Day 19, July 14th: I woke up at 4:45am and was in Many Glacier by 5:30am, there was no line for camping.. I sat by the park rangers office until 6:30am just to learn I was in the wrong area, the line was next to registration! Dammit.. I got to registration and found that there was just 1 car in line, I was lucky. My guess is part of why there weren't many people lining up to camp in Many Glacier was because they were allowing "hard sided" camping only due to bear activity, once again, the GTI build paid off!

Since the people that were occupying my site were still packing, I set off to do some hiking. The hike I chose for the first day was up to Grinnell Glacier. The climb up was actually easy so I went past the overlook and was able to get on the glacier itself. I didn't want to climb on the glacier to much since you don't know the thickness and there were places where it collapsed. Since the hike was easier than expected I also did a connecting hike to Grinnell Lake. I was back at my campsite before 5pm, after cooking late lunch, I jumped into the stream next to my campsite for a shower, it was cooold! One of the aspects that I enjoy about camping and hiking is how easy it is to meet people that you can then spend the rest of the hike or evening conversing.

With everything done, I went back to Babb to catch some LTEs to do some work, I needed to relax since I wanted to do a 16 miles+ hike the following day. I also noticed that my GTI started to drink oil, I never had this issue but at 5800 miles since last oil change I was on the low side of the dipstick. I will have to find some oil and keep an eye on this, hopefully it is not the turbo giving out.
      That is a great hike. Looks like the weather cooperated. It's been a volatile summer so far.

You're in my backyard. If you need some space to check the oil issue you are welcome to stop in here.

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-24-2019 10:45 AM #180
      More incredible pictures, fantastic.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-24-2019 12:48 PM #181
      Day 20, July 15th: I set an alarm for 5am since I wanted to do the Highline/Swiftcurrent Trail from Logan Pass to Many Glacier, I also wanted to add Swiftcurrent Mountain to this hike which would make it a 17.3 miles with 3,194 elevation gain hike. The hike seemed long but doable and I wanted to hike it on my birthday since it was considered one of the most scenic. The plan from the previous evening was early wakeup, drive to Logans Pass, hike to Many Glacier and then take multiple shuttles to get my car. After thinking everything over, I didn't like that idea this morning since it would cost me 2+ hours to retrieve my car when I could be celebrating my birthday after the hike. The shuttle system in Glacier is very slow and if you miss one of their shuttles, you can be waiting up to 2 hours for the next(from Many Glacier), this meant sitting around waiting for a shuttle and not having a drink since you still need to drive back. (the above was written at 5:30am while I was making plans)

Well, all plans changed and nothing went as I planned above.. After taking the shuttle from Many Glacier I learned that Highline Trail got closed in the morning due to bear activity so I had to look for a backup plan. I am glad I put the time in a few days ago to download a few trails that I was interested in, after some thinking I decided on Siyeh Summit. The hike seemed to have decent elevation gain for not that much miles, over 4000 ft in 4.3 miles. When I looked at the detailed map I knew I was going to have a fun day since this would be a first, hike starts off with a gradual incline but in the last mile it gains over 2700 ft! That last mile was not actually a trail since everyone picks their own route, you just scramble up rocks and cliffs to the top of the mountain. It was tough at moments when you reach a cliff that you can't climb so you have to find a way around it but the view at the top was spectacular! Serious, it felt like you are sitting on the top of the world! I spent a good hour or more at the top and then stated to climb down, I think the climb down was more difficult then the climb up but that may be because I took a different route. While sitting in the shuttle to get back to Many Glacier I thought about the days hiking, Highline may be a great hike but I was happy that I got to do Siyeh Summit, it was a memorable hike.

The ride back to Many Glacier was interesting, I was the only one in the shuttle bus and the driver who was a former truck driver laid all this political views on me. Pro-union, anti-Trump, isn't a big fan of Detriot black mayors.. I was expecting a quiet birthday evening by the campfire but then I decided to invite my camping neighbor(retired IT guy) to join me with his son. We had a great evening of telling stories of travels, talking work, family, etc. I had my fanciest camping dinner, a $70 bottle of wine, cheese, crackers, grapes, chocolate and prosciutto.

8. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-24-2019 01:19 PM #182
      Um... Wow

Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2011 Toyota Camry LE, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      07-24-2019 03:37 PM #183
      Have you ever done Banff in the Canadian Rockies? We did it as part of a trip to Glacier NP a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Easily as breathtaking as Glacier, if not more so.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)
      2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      07-24-2019 09:26 PM #184
      I don't know about OP, but we did the Banff/Jasper/Yoho/Kootenay circuit a number of years ago, and it was amazing. Right up there with some of our Colorado trips, but it felt more remote, and had more glacial lakes, IMO.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-25-2019 11:46 AM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by dwagner88 View Post
      Have you ever done Banff in the Canadian Rockies? We did it as part of a trip to Glacier NP a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Easily as breathtaking as Glacier, if not more so.
      I have not, yet. The plan is to do the Canadian Rockies while driving north to see Alaska.(that would need to be a 2 month roadtrip)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 21, July 16th: After yesterdays hike, my legs wanted some rest so I stuck to a hike that didn't have to much elevation gain. The hike to Cracker Lake was 12 miles and 1,600 ft elevation gain. Yesterday I was looking down on Cracker Lake, today I was looking up at Siyeh Summit.(it was actually in the clouds) Being that this was my relaxing day, I took my time and explored, there was an old mining tunnel that I got to get into but I didn't go to far since my iPhone light didn't do much for lighting up the tunnel. The hike was over by 3pm, I had my lunch, finished off yesterdays wine with some sandwiches and then went out of the park to get interwebz. The main thing that I needed to do is plan the rest of the roadtrip since I was leaving Glacier NP early morning on the 18th. I also checked my oil on level ground and oil level was low but not critical, I decided I will deal with it on the 18th when I get into a bigger city that has a parts store. With all the loose ends done, I went back to Many Glacier and decided to call it an early night, tomorrow was my last day of hiking in Glacier and if weather channel is to be believed, I had a window of perfect weather earlier in the day that would turn to increasing cloud cover in the afternoon.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-25-2019 12:10 PM #186
      I know the answer to this is "cold". But how cold is the water near these mountains? I assume this is where you clean up, and so I'm not sure how in the hell you stand it. (not this spot in particular, but just the mountain water in general)

Instagram - efrie004

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI + 2018 Golf AllTrack
      07-25-2019 05:08 PM #187
      My dad and I went on a 7-day hiking trip through Glacier when I was in college. It was truly amazing. LOTS of wildlife! Damn mountain goats would always walk up to you while you were peeing (pretty disconcerting when it was the middle of the night and there were definitely bears around). Speaking of which did you see any grizzlies? Fun memories...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-25-2019 07:38 PM #188
      I know the answer to this is "cold". But how cold is the water near these mountains? I assume this is where you clean up, and so I'm not sure how in the hell you stand it. (not this spot in particular, but just the mountain water in general)
      The lake quoted(Cracker Lake) was actually warmer than I expected, the wind was cold though. Avalanche Lake where I jumped in was cold enough that your feet got red and they actually hurt for a minute while you got used to the temperature(especially the difference in temperature from hot hiking boots to cold lake) I mostly used the cold stream next to campsites, you jump in to get wet, wash up and jump back in to rinse. Its very cold but feels amazing once you wash up, put on clean cloth and get next to a fire. For me its probably nostalgic since I remember having my dad teach me how to wash up in the Sierras back when I was in 3rd grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett56 View Post
      My dad and I went on a 7-day hiking trip through Glacier when I was in college. It was truly amazing. LOTS of wildlife! Damn mountain goats would always walk up to you while you were peeing (pretty disconcerting when it was the middle of the night and there were definitely bears around). Speaking of which did you see any grizzlies? Fun memories...
      I heard about the goats. The way the person explained it is that the goats want the salt from human pee. I had 2 cans of bear spray with me at all times, never saw a bear..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Useless update
      Day 22nd, July 17th - I had big plans for today and yesterday weather was showing that the day would be nice, atleast in the morning, everything changed. In the morning the skies were dark, I looked at different options, East, West and even Canadian Glacier. After talking to the park ranger I made a decision to leave Glacier NP early since the forecast for today showed 40% chance of rain and 40mph wind gusts, even worse at the higher elevations where I wanted to hike. The low oil situation in the GTI was also part of the deciding factor, I couldn't just drive around in a car that was low on oil and there weren't any stores nearby that carried oil that I needed(atleast not the ones I checked). By 9am I left Glacier NP towards Bozeman MT, on the way I found a Napa store where I picked up some oil. I walked around Bozeman a bit but most of the time was spent working and making decisions for the following day. I spent a night by Hwy 78 just so I can be closer to Yellowstone for the following day.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-29-2019 10:29 AM #189
      Day 23rd, July 18th - The trips that I do always have alot of planning put into them but from experience I learned that you can't plan for weather, fire, closures, etc. It is a bigger hassle by going on a roadtrip with no reserved campsites but the main benefit is the flexibility to do something else if Plan A didn't work, and this is how I ended up in Yellowstone. I drove into Yellowstone around 7am and headed straight for the hot spring at Boiling River. After a good 2 hour soak I continued to Mammoth Hot Springs and then took the roads of northern Yellowstone to Beartooth Highway.

When I did Beartooth Hwy for the first time in 2015 I didn't take the time to enjoy it since I was pushing to get a first-come-first-serve campsite in Yellowstone, this year I fixed this mistake. I took my time going through Beartooth Hwy, stopping often, climbing over rocks to get a better picture, trying to fly the drone which I had to give up on since the wind gusts almost brought it down. With Beartooth Hwy behind me I went up a gravel road to Glacier Lake Trail. I was really late to start the hike, close to 5pm and everyone was either finished or finishing the hike for the day. From what the locals told me, this was bear area so up the trail I went with 2 cans of bear spray and yelling "hey bear!" at every corner. I had to get very loud since it was very windy, gladly I didn't meet any bears. Once I got back to my GTI, the parking lot was empty but I found a note on my GTI, I had a good laugh. It was getting late so I found a place to sleep after a good hot shower at a truck stop.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-29-2019 02:23 PM #190
      Day 24th, July 19th - The plan for today was a last hike in Montana, Mystic Lake. It took me just over an hour to get to the trailhead and like almost everywhere in Montana it took 10+ miles of gravel/dirt road. I was first at the trailhead and when I got to the lake I got to enjoy the lake all by myself for a couple of hours before other people joined, at that point I hiked back and continued on to Billings MT. At Billings I did some work and then pushed on to Exit 1 in North Dakota, tomorrow I would be doing Theodore Roosevelt NP.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      07-29-2019 03:02 PM #191
      Still super jealous of your trip. I'm going to be sad when this comes to a close.

18. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-29-2019 03:15 PM #192
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Still super jealous of your trip. I'm going to be sad when this comes to a close.
      Agreed. OP is the next Gunther Holtorf, the German guy who went on a 26 year, 215 country round the world excursion in his Mercedes G-Wagen.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      07-29-2019 05:02 PM #193
      Amazing trip and photos and many thanks for sharing with us!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-30-2019 11:31 AM #194
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Agreed. OP is the next Gunther Holtorf, the German guy who went on a 26 year, 215 country round the world excursion in his Mercedes G-Wagen.
      For now an unattainable goal but one can definitely dream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 25th, July 20th - I was on the scenic loop in Theodore Roosevelt NP around 6:30am and I am really glad, even at that time when there were barely any cars, people were stopping in the middle of the roadway when they saw some animal. Talking about stopping on the road.. I played that stupid game to get a picture of a buffalo, I had to get behind a guardrail to feel safe(ish).. I couldn't complete the loop since the other side was closed but I did get to enjoy a few short hikes and see some animals. TRNP is a great place if you want a short hike and animal watch but that isn't me so I was out early. On my way out of TRNP, I stopped by Medora and cooked myself some breakfast while people watching, it was a pleasant morning so I sat around for a bit.

From TRNP I pushed on to Badlands in SD, on the way I stopped by Sturgis just so I can send a picture to a friend that I was there first(he will be there for the motorcycle event). I didn't have much plans for Badlands since weather app was showing rain there but when I got to the Badlands the skies had just a few clouds. Badlands get really packed by mid-day but I did some hiking, took some pictures and went to Rapid City for the night. The previous plan for next day was early morning Badlands then Custer State Park for some hiking but weather was turning for the worse so my solution was get out of SD the next day.

What shocked me about Rapid City(I don't know if this is everywhere in SD) is the lack of food inspections at places that serve food. I stopped at a Starbucks that had over 30 flies, the cashier had at least 8 around him while taking my order! I couldn't stand this so I left and went to another Starbucks, same! I left that second place and went to a third and it had over 10 flies! What really got me is that locals and workers are not bothered by these flies at all.. Is this normal for SD?

21. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-30-2019 12:12 PM #195
      Lots of flies in SD, noted.
      Instagram - efrie004

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      07-30-2019 12:18 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post

Better watch out for that guy. Several people have recently been injured by them. Check the news. He can easily outrun you (or even Usain Bolt) and might be able to outrun your GTI over rough ground.

23. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-30-2019 12:25 PM #197
      Better watch out for that guy. Several people have recently been injured by them. Check the news. He can easily outrun you (or even Usain Bolt) and might be able to outrun your GTI over rough ground.
      Instagram - efrie004

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      07-30-2019 12:38 PM #198

25. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-30-2019 12:39 PM #199
      I'm quite aware.

We do have television in the south. It's a few days behind, but we end up getting the news.
      Instagram - efrie004

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-30-2019 12:44 PM #200
      It was a stupid thing I did but tried to do in the safest way possible.

I saw the buffalo walk down the side of the road so I parked the GTI some distance in front of him, walked across the road and waited/hoped he would walk past the GTI, he did. Still stupid and I was nervous since this is a big wild animal.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast