VWVortex.com - MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.

07-10-2019 05:33 PM #151
      Zion NP is one of theost beautiful places on earth.

I went in late fall and there were zero crowds anywhere. Only saw about 10 other people the whole way up/down angels landing.

Did you do the narrows in normal hiking gear? Most people do it in wetsuits as part of a canyoning tour.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-10-2019 07:30 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Zion NP is one of theost beautiful places on earth.

I went in late fall and there were zero crowds anywhere. Only saw about 10 other people the whole way up/down angels landing.

Did you do the narrows in normal hiking gear? Most people do it in wetsuits as part of a canyoning tour.
      Yep, cheap hiking shoes(actually my lawn mowing shoes) and hiking pants. Water is cold but since I started around noon the sun was in the canyon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      (useless update)
      Day 10, July 5th: Woke up at 3:40am just a bit north of Salt Lake City, I pushed on to Twin Falls, ID just to get to a Starbucks where I can put in a half a day of work. From 6am to noon I worked and then by 2pm I was at my friends house in Nampa, ID. Slow day, work and then catch up with my friend while we plan for our camping trip that starts tomorrow. As it usually happens, to many drinks were had and after other Oregon friend also joined us, it was a very late night. I liver didn't like this day..

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-10-2019 08:22 PM #153
      Day 11, July 6th: After last nights shenanigans, nobody got up at the agreed 6am leave time, we rolled out around noon. My GTI stayed at my friends house while we took my Oregon friends Tacoma. Since we left so late, we skipped the natural hot springs and headed straight to Stanley, ID to setup camp and hike.

I tired to find a hike that had amazing scenery while not being overly hard so we settled with hiking to Sawtooth Lake, 8.5 miles and 1,758 ft elevation gain. I guess I misunderstood how out of shape my married friends were, there was bitching, moaning and crying. We did make it to the top and everyone agreed that scenery was spectacular but next days hike was scratched out. I myself was blown away how beautiful Idaho is! My friend that is from Idaho has actually never seen his state, so I drove 4000 miles just to show him his own state.

With the hike done, we found a free camping spot next to a stream, lite a fire and popped open our first beers for the day. I bought beer for the 3 day, 2 night stay, it all disappeared the first night.. I don't think anyone within 100s of feet of our campsite liked us, drinking went on well past midnight. All ended well though, nobody did anything very stupid.

And before anyone says it, I know I need a rig like my friends.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-11-2019 10:10 PM #154
      Day 12, July 7th: After last nights drinking, morning was hard, some people didn't remember everything from last night. Somehow we made breakfast and tried to think what we will do for the day, only natural hotsprings sounded good. We found some hotsprings about 7 miles away from our campsite and sat around for 3-4 hours, there were 4 pools, hottest measured at 108 degrees. The owner of the Tacoma was really not feeling well so we went back to the campsite, packed up and headed back home. I was bummed that the trip was cut short but I knew I was in no shape to hike anyway. Rest of the day was spent nursing ourselves back to health by drinking beer..

6. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      07-11-2019 10:18 PM #155
      Amazing how that happens.

Glad you're having fun!
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      07-16-2019 12:43 PM #156
      OP, are you still alive? I hope you starting bringing water with you while hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      As it is becoming standard, I hiked unprepared, as in with no water nor food...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      07-17-2019 10:05 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      OP, are you still alive? I hope you starting bringing water with you while hiking...
      Alive and well, been in places where there is no services for days at a time. Will be catching up in the upcoming days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 13, July 8th: I made myself wake up early to start planning the trip coming up, never try be productive while at a friends house..

I did do something, bought food for the next week and also did a check of the GTI. I was surprised to find that the coolant reservoir had failed, I tapped the dark spot lightly with my knuckle and it fell apart. I was glad that VW of Boise had a reservoir in stock so $50 later the GTI was repaired.

I had decided that I will continue with my trip the following day so my friend and his wife took me out to a brewery. While the beer is good in Nampa/Boise area I found that they lacked in good food.(my friends opinion also) After the brewery my friends wife wanted to show off the fanciest Albertsons I have ever seen. The amount of wine, cheese, prosciutto, etc options was staggering. To thank my hosts, I bought some wine, cheese, grapes, etc and we went back home to sit around a fire while watching the sunset.(no picture of fire-ring since my friends wife and kids are in the picture) It was a good way to end the stay at my friends house.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      Yesterday 06:09 AM #158
      Haha love the drinking stories. Sounds so...familiar. Great updates and pics.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      Yesterday 01:26 PM #159
      Day 14, July 9th: I wanted to wake up at 6am EST(4am local) since I needed to figure out a few things for work but that didn't work out, I woke up 7am local. My friend and his family like to sleep-in so I didn't need to go through the long goodbyes. During our camping trip, I was so amazing with Idaho that I went back to the same place. In my plans was the hike that we didn't do at Redfish Lake. I took a ferry at noon to the other side of Redfish Lake and hiked 13 miles, 2,580 elevation gain to the divide and back. I pushed myself just to sweat out the drinking in the past few days, hike was complete in just under 5 hours.

With the hike done, I went to the same camping spot that we stayed at with my friends. It was a quiet evening of cooking, collecting firewood, swimming in the cold stream and by 10:30pm I was in bed.

It is hard to explain how I fell for Idaho, seriously, I think this is my new favorite state to visit. Weather is amazing, cool during the day, chilly at night. Camping is not crowded and we found empty amazing campsites on weekend of July 4th. The roads are fun, scenery is as good as other very popular states, hiking trails are not packed and there are free natural hotsprings every few miles! Idaho surprised me, its a well hidden secret, at least it was from me. I will be back more than once.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      JK & B9
      Yesterday 04:49 PM #160
      Amazing pictures of Idaho Definitely makes it tempting as a place to wander around and see the sights.

Thank you!

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      Yesterday 05:01 PM #161
      I suppose I should visit Idaho as well.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567