VWVortex.com - MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MK6 VW GTI Alltrack build for overlanding, Montana first.

1. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      02-11-2019 11:19 AM #26
      Oh, you lifted a “sports” car? I approve.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-11-2019 11:20 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I thought for sure we were talking about a Haldex conversion here. Leaving disappointed . . .
      This.

And for it to be a true expo build, you need an RTT and a roof rack with a shovel on it. The expobros will laugh at you otherwise.

02-11-2019 11:20 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Its basically the same thing but without the toilet.
      Just get a trailer hitch and a bumper dumper and you'll be good to go!

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      02-11-2019 11:27 AM #29
      Approximate route for this year, open to ideas for good roads, places to see, trails to hike, natural hot springs, etc.

I'm sure you saw my huge road trip thread, and IIRC you've been to some of these places before, but here it is again in case you want to review photos to give you ideas on where to go. Let me know if you have any questions about anything that wasn't addressed in there. I'm looking forward to your road trip/build thread!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      02-11-2019 04:58 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Nice.

Lean into this-get longer travel shocks/bum stops for a Tiguan, a monster skid plate, big auxiliary lights, rally armor mud flaps, and a big roof rack.
      I wish. Whatever I do needs to be daily driver friendly since this thing does a 50 mile a day commute.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I was hoping you were doing a full AWD conversion.
      Tried that once when I owned a MK4(probably 10 years ago), failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      In for this.

Also - Feel free to drive through northern Arkansas instead of the middle of Missouri. Fantastic roads, and I'll buy you a beer on your way through!

(For real though, some fantastic driving roads in the Ozarks, PM if curious)
      This trip is specifically for Idaho/Montana, stop in Nebraska and North Dakota is just so I can cross those states off of my list. I went through Ozarks last year, it was a pleasant surprise, if I have time, I would like to see more of the Ozarks.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      If you remove the rear seat bottom (really easy to do on a mk6, requires no tools) then the rear seat backs will fold completely flat and give you a nice space for sleeping/cargo. I left the bench out almost permanently in my old GTI to make it a fun little cargo van.
      Yep, I will probably go further than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      "Lifted GTI to drive on flat gravel roads" =/= "Built a GTI Alltrack for Overlanding".

Sorry.

Also, the Mk6 traction control is pretty terrible and will cut throttle when a single wheel sightly starts spinning. The lack of LSD in this car is one reason why I sold mine. You will NEED a real LSD at the minimum, but a real AWD swap would actually make this car capable on anything beyond a flat gravel road.
      I haven't been disappointed with the GTI in the 30,000 miles of traveling yet, I know its no Jeep and Moab isn't on my list. I need it to get me to locations from where I can hike to see the places around.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Highly recommend Beartooth Highway
      Been there is 2015 and really hope I will see it again this year.(will be traveling close to it, all depends on time)

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      ND will be a boring drive, spot a water tower in the distance and see how far away it is (about 10 miles). If you think ND is empty wait until you get to eastern Montana. Fun fact: Theodore Roosevelt Park is the least visited National Park in the US. Quick stop at Painted Canyon visitor center for a nice view before the main entrance at Teddy Park. Definitely do Going-to-sun-road in Glacier, but if in summer time Campers, RV's won't make it a nice drive.
      I will look into Painted Canyon visitors center.

Going through ND just so I can cross it off of my list. Couple of years ago(2015), I got pulled for doing 3mph over in Minnesota by South Dakota border, officer asked me if I was in a hurry somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I'm sure you saw my huge road trip thread, and IIRC you've been to some of these places before, but here it is again in case you want to review photos to give you ideas on where to go. Let me know if you have any questions about anything that wasn't addressed in there. I'm looking forward to your road trip/build thread!
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      02-11-2019 05:08 PM #31
      When you drive through St. Louis, drop by and see us for a wander through the warehouse.

www.hymanltd.com
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      02-11-2019 05:20 PM #32
      Eastern MT and North Dakota are boring AF. If you must cross ND off your list then so be it, but I'd consider a route change to SD and see Devil's Tower, Rushmore, and the Badlands/Black Hills if you haven't already.

9. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      02-11-2019 05:34 PM #33
      I would love to do this with my A6 and take it straight up to Prudhoe Bay. In either case, your door needs this..

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Golf-2-Count...sm4:rk:21:pf:0

Whole car for reference..

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-11-2019 06:28 PM #34
      I really dig the look of that, looks really cool. Sounds like a great trip, too, especially since it sounds like you won't be pooping in bags or suffocating from a computer case hacked into a wood-burning stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      ND will be a boring drive, spot a water tower in the distance and see how far away it is (about 10 miles). If you think ND is empty wait until you get to eastern Montana. Fun fact: Theodore Roosevelt Park is the least visited National Park in the US.
      That's actually why we stopped there on our way home from Banff/Jasper/Canmore. It was very serene and quiet and peaceful compared to the crowds we were bumping into the couple of weeks before that. Sometimes the best reason to go somewhere is because others don't. (Barring war zones, radioactivity, or being a toxic Superfund site. )
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      02-11-2019 07:37 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      That's actually why we stopped there on our way home from Banff/Jasper/Canmore. It was very serene and quiet and peaceful compared to the crowds we were bumping into the couple of weeks before that. Sometimes the best reason to go somewhere is because others don't. (Barring war zones, radioactivity, or being a toxic Superfund site. )
      And many times the reason there is nobody there is because there is nothing to see. Let's face it, if you are travelling by interstate through MT, SD, ND or WY you aren't going to be worried about traffic pretty much in any direction you go.

Fun fact - it is theorized that most of the fallout from US nuke testing landed in Idaho and MT.

12. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      02-11-2019 07:51 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
      There are no RV's on Going to the Sun Road. There is a length restriction. (no longer than 21' and no wider than 8') The largest thing on that road are the red tour vehicles.

It's my favorite automotive memory. We drove up to Logan Pass at sunset when there was little traffic. Ended up stopping for a family of Moose on the shoulder.
      Jammers. So damned cool. I love that they all have the "Big Sky Country" trucker mud flaps, too.

We drove the GTSR 4 times in an '85 Westy Weekender a couple years ago. Such a great trip and such a slow vehicle, but given the lack of shoulders and drop offs, I'm glad I didn't have anything more "fun" to drive.

Also hitch hiked it back up to the Westy which was parked at Logan Pass. Trail put us about half way to Lake McDonald.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

02-11-2019 09:16 PM #37
      I don't know why anybody's hating on OP for this. A buddy of mine did something similar with his FC RX7 a couple decades ago and it was actually great for the fire road trails we rallied around on. OP should have a great time, as it sounds like his previous road trips have been great as well. Still serves as inspiration for me once I have the ability to do so.

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      02-11-2019 09:39 PM #38
      I'm just happy you're doing another road trip thread. Lifted, salvage title, and DIY rebuilt GTI is just icing on the cake.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      02-11-2019 10:00 PM #39
      Nice!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-12-2019 11:35 AM #40
      "Lifted GTI to drive on flat gravel roads" =/= "Built a GTI Alltrack for Overlanding".

Sorry.

Also, the Mk6 traction control is pretty terrible and will cut throttle when a single wheel sightly starts spinning. The lack of LSD in this car is one reason why I sold mine. You will NEED a real LSD at the minimum, but a real AWD swap would actually make this car capable on anything beyond a flat gravel road.
      I was too harsh earlier. Sorry for that. I've ran across too many people in the woods in vehicles underprepared for the road or trail conditions, so I don't want anyone to get their rig into a bad situation.

As long as you recognize the limitations of the car you'll be fine. An LSD would definitely help, but is also... Expensive. Or an AWD swap one day. We need a modern day Golf Country.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-12-2019 12:21 PM #41
      I wouldn't sweat the LSD too much. Sure it's better, but IME it's more of an inside-tire-fire solution than a no-traction one. That car should have the brake-based one which can help a little from getting stuck.

OP, did you use the regular GTI shocks? I'm not sure what the Tiguan spring rates are, but I'd be a little concerned about a potential mis-match causing handling problems.

02-12-2019 01:57 PM #42
      We need a modern day Golf Country.
      VW is ready to take your money whenever you're ready to come in.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-12-2019 03:05 PM #43
      Look at my vehicle list.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      02-12-2019 03:12 PM #44
      ...lower it?

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      '16 GTI S DSG, Felt IA16, Specialized Roubaix(RIP)
      02-12-2019 03:29 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post

I saw an underside pic of a Country. Can someone confirm what I saw? Is it a body on frame? I couldn't find a definitive answer, it sure looks like it. Or is it just additional bracing put there for support?

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-12-2019 03:37 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Dal97GLX View Post
      I saw an underside pic of a Country. Can someone confirm what I saw? Is it a body on frame? I couldn't find a definitive answer, it sure looks like it. Or is it just additional bracing put there for support?
      It's not body on frame in the traditional sense... It's still a unibody, but also has an extra frame underneath to tie all the suspension points together and stiffen/strengthen the chassis considerably.

Vehicles
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      02-12-2019 04:11 PM #47
      Stock GTI shocks?

Vehicles
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      02-12-2019 04:20 PM #48
      I haven't felt a knock from suspension over-extending. I will be testing more, worst case I can get shocks that have better rebound control.
      Probably because the brake lines are stretching and acting as limiting straps. But hey, keep on, err trucking?
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville

Vehicles
      02-12-2019 04:55 PM #49
      I was just working up a list of places and realized you aren't going through SW Montana. Guess I should have looked a little closer at your map.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-12-2019 04:58 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by 7GIRLS3CUPS View Post
      Probably because the brake lines are stretching and acting as limiting straps. But hey, keep on, err trucking?
      lol

Kidding aside, my bet is that the bushings are the travel limiter.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast