VWVortex.com - Where the 'ell is the SportWagen GLI/GTI?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where the 'ell is the SportWagen GLI/GTI?

1. 02-12-2019 06:58 PM #1
      So if you want a sporty 4-door VW you have to go with the GTI (limited cargo space) or GLI (no hatchback, questionable looks). Why in the world will VW not just drop a GTI motor, transmission, and suspension in a Golf SportWagen, add some red trim bits and cool wheels and throw it on the market? No, it wouldn't match GTI or GLI sales numbers. But certainly it would sell? And for how much effort? All the parts are already there! Surely there is a segment of the market interested in a combination of sport and day-to-day practicality, no?

I for one would buy one immediately. Am I alone?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 02-12-2019 07:03 PM #2
      I for one am right there with you. I would buy one instantly! Seems like a no-brainer, except for the no one buying wagons outside certain European markets...

Sold Back: 2015 Sportwagen SE TDI Manual
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R Line, 2017 GTI SE(for Sale)
      02-12-2019 07:11 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
      So if you want a sporty 4-door VW you have to go with the GTI (limited cargo space) or GLI (no hatchback, questionable looks). Why in the world will VW not just drop a GTI motor, transmission, and suspension in a Golf SportWagen, add some red trim bits and cool wheels and throw it on the market? No, it wouldn't match GTI or GLI sales numbers. But certainly it would sell? And for how much effort? All the parts are already there! Surely there is a segment of the market interested in a combination of sport and day-to-day practicality, no?

I for one would buy one immediately. Am I alone?
      As would I

It already exists, just not in North America. If you want to make yourself really sad, head over to the German VW site and look at all the goodies for sale over there. You can get the wagon in GTD(Tdi Gti) or Golf R
      https://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/golf-r-variant.html
      2017 Gti SE DSG Completely stock

5. 02-12-2019 07:12 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jimtunes View Post
      It already exists, just not in North America. If you want to make yourself really sad, head over to the German VW site and look at all the goodies for sale over there. You can get the wagon in GTD(Tdi Gti) or Golf R
      Yep, sad indeed. I for one have no interest in a $50k Golf R wagon, but man would I love to have a sub=$35k GTI wagon.

6. 02-12-2019 07:13 PM #5
      Yep, sad indeed. I for one have no interest in a $50k Golf R wagon, but man would I love to have a sub=$35k GTI wagon.
      My feelings exactly.

Sold Back: 2015 Sportwagen SE TDI Manual

7. 02-12-2019 07:30 PM #6
      You can consider yourself lucky if VWoA offers a Golf wagon of any type once this generation is done.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      02-12-2019 07:33 PM #7
      So buy the S 4M DSG for $20K, put on some nicer wheels, add a Stage 1+ ECU/TCU tune for a little over a grand, put on a Golf R RSB and there you go...a wagon faster than a GTI that handles ok for about $25K that can actually put the power down with AWD. That's what I did....happy as a clam.
      Last edited by KarstGeo; 02-12-2019 at 08:00 PM.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in

2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU/K&N drop-in/snow guard delete/034 lower dogbone mount insert/Golf R RSB

9. 02-12-2019 07:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by jimtunes View Post
      As would I

Reviewing this link is beyond frustrating. What I don't get is why we Americans - want these SUV/CUV's when there are cars with equal cargo space like the Passat WAGON and the Mazda 6 WAGON sold in other markets just as an example.

My take is most who are buying these vehicles while gas is $2.50 a gallon really don't care about the actual driving experience, and probably think they are safer as they are a bigger vehicle - but with a higher center of gravity I am not so sure that is the case at least from a handling standpoint. I have no data to prove one vs. the other. My point is - it is a possible false sense of security, but I could be wrong of course. I guess if everyone was driving around in an 18 wheeler one might not feel safe in a smaller vehicle. Maybe a bad analogy - but I think that is what the stigma is now, and growing. Again IMO

I want to keep my family safe of course and we all need to move our (stuff) I just feel a good size, great handling wagon does this much better!!

10. Junior Member
      02-12-2019 08:35 PM #9
      I would've been all-over a Sportwagen 4motion 6mt with the GTI motor, suspension and brakes. An R-spec wagon would be expensive and the R comes with too much crap I don't want (power leather seats, 19" wheels, digital gauges, Fender audio system that'd I'd replace anyway, etc.). I'm very thankful that a turbo-awd-manual wagon exists in North-America, a bonus is that the base model comes with most of the things I want without the things I don't want. It's just going to require some minor modifications to get the performance up to an acceptable level.
      2018 GSW 4motion 6MT Trendline. Peacock Green, Shetland Interior.
      034 Rear Sway Bar, CDV Delete, Dynamic Steering mod, Linear Throttle mod, WCT Performance Gas Pedal Spacer, Rigid SR-M SAE Fog Lights.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      02-12-2019 10:10 PM #10
      As with most things, it's the US government to blame. Our regulations make it so expensive to bring over and certify car models that they only do it if it's gonna be a big seller. Europe doesn't have this problem so you have more niche models.

The Land of Freedom is actually far from it.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf GSW S 5MT; 2010 VW CC Sport 6MT
      02-12-2019 10:33 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      So buy the S 4M DSG for $20K, put on some nicer wheels, add a Stage 1+ ECU/TCU tune for a little over a grand, put on a Golf R RSB and there you go...a wagon faster than a GTI that handles ok for about $25K that can actually put the power down with AWD. That's what I did....happy as a clam.
      Exactly. Buy an S for $5-7k off MSRP and make your own GTi wagon! I went for the S FWD 5MT so without the extra cost of DSG/4Mo I'll have a GTi wagon for closer to $20k all in .

13. 02-12-2019 10:39 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Aeroslash View Post
      Exactly. Buy an S for $5-7k off MSRP and make your own GTi wagon! I went for the S FWD 5MT so without the extra cost of DSG/4Mo I'll have a GTi wagon for closer to $20k all in .
      Errr, yeah, just adding a tune to a GSW S isn't really what I'd personally call a GTI wagon...

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02-12-2019 10:46 PM #13
      Clearly not, but back in the real world, there is no possibility that the US will get an R/GTi/ R-Line wagon. The GSW will prob be gone after MY 2019 even.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

15. 02-12-2019 11:42 PM #14
      Errr, yeah, just adding a tune to a GSW S isn't really what I'd personally call a GTI wagon...
      The Golf platform is completely interchangeable. If you want a GTI wagon, you can certainly make your own. One guy has already done it (and he's making himself a Golf R wagon now).

Just look at this thread? Everyone has their own wish list, and there's no way to satisfy everyone. At least VW sells a manual transmission wagon in the US. I can't think of anyone else doing do?

If you really want a GTI wagon, buy a base GSW and modify it. They can be had--brand new--for about 17K right now. For 30K, you can have a car that easily outperforms a stock GTI with the same interior bits. IS20 upgrade, suspension upgrade, seat and door card swap, some head lights, side skirts, new exhaust and rear valence--and you're in business.

Yes, the engines are different, but a tuned Alltrack on the stock turbo feels almost identical to a stock GTI. I own both, and there's no real difference. Add in the IS20, a tune and a couple of bolt-ons and you'll be right there with a lightly-tuned GTI.

Or, you can complain about the gub'mint keeping you from wagons---and freedom.... I guess that's more fun, though.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT
      02-13-2019 07:38 AM #15
      For around $40 you can get the GTI floor mats. The fake GTI front grill with red stripe and emblem goes for $50-$60 on eBay. The rear emblem is about $7 or $9 if you go GTI rabbit style. Then $10 will get a GTI steering wheel insert. Another $10 will get a pair of the side emblems. Et voila! Instant GTI Wagon!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      02-13-2019 09:22 AM #16
      I hope VW DOESN'T bring a R wagon with 6MT to North America. If they did I'd make a stupid financial decision and ditch my Alltrack for one. In a heartbeat.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf Sportwagen 5MT, '18 Golf Sporwagen 4MOTION 6MT, Marinoni Genius road bike
      02-13-2019 10:08 AM #17
      Why in the world will VW not just drop a GTI motor, transmission, and suspension in a Golf SportWagen, add some red trim bits and cool wheels and throw it on the market?
      Because Volkswagen...

19. 02-13-2019 11:01 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Watts View Post
      The Golf platform is completely interchangeable. If you want a GTI wagon, you can certainly make your own. One guy has already done it (and he's making himself a Golf R wagon now).

Just look at this thread? Everyone has their own wish list, and there's no way to satisfy everyone. At least VW sells a manual transmission wagon in the US. I can't think of anyone else doing do?

If you really want a GTI wagon, buy a base GSW and modify it. They can be had--brand new--for about 17K right now. For 30K, you can have a car that easily outperforms a stock GTI with the same interior bits. IS20 upgrade, suspension upgrade, seat and door card swap, some head lights, side skirts, new exhaust and rear valence--and you're in business.

Yes, the engines are different, but a tuned Alltrack on the stock turbo feels almost identical to a stock GTI. I own both, and there's no real difference. Add in the IS20, a tune and a couple of bolt-ons and you'll be right there with a lightly-tuned GTI.

Or, you can complain about the gub'mint keeping you from wagons---and freedom.... I guess that's more fun, though.
      This. These cars are 'adult lego's' in my opinion and yes, while we don't get some of the 'forbidden fruit' of Europe, VW is the ONLY manufacturer making an AWD MT wagon in the US. Slap some GTI wheels on it, and maybe swap the bumper skin and boom, GTI wagon. I am enjoying the hell out of this car and this platform because it gave me a great canvas to make what I want out of this car, which is exactly what a lot of us are doing here, and enjoying it immensely!

20. 02-13-2019 11:08 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by _Maxwell View Post
      This. These cars are 'adult lego's' in my opinion
      Sometimes you need to smash the pieces together with a hammer though.

21. 02-13-2019 03:03 PM #20

I own one . It was built by my buddy 20vTa4

Last edited by Tony093; 02-13-2019 at 03:30 PM.

22. 02-13-2019 03:05 PM #21
      Last edited by Tony093; 02-13-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf Alltrack (Baby R Edition)
      02-13-2019 05:25 PM #22
      I have a GLI-powered Alltrack
      VW owners, the only people that pay $1500 for OEM rims.

24. 02-13-2019 05:38 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by crxgat0r View Post
      Wut?!

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2019 06:02 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony093 View Post
      Slow round of applause. That is a beautiful Wagen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

26. 02-13-2019 06:55 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by crxgat0r View Post
      out of curiosity, did you end up having to swap the ECU when you did the swap--and if so did you have to replace any of the other modules?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast