VWVortex.com - Overhead Car-Net/sunroof control console rattling almost constantly
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Overhead Car-Net/sunroof control console rattling almost constantly

1. n00b
      02-14-2019 10:26 AM #1
      Hello all,

Among the worst of the various sounds coming from my 2018 Tiguan SEL 4Motion (I do truly love the car) are the ones from the overhead console with the Car-Net buttons (SOS, diagnostic, information) and sunroof controls.

Anyone experience similar? I've removed the plastic vent-grille thing that snaps around the Car-Net buttons and that's seemed to help, but I think the buttons themselves are loose/rattling a bit over modest bumps. Anyone know if there's something to tighten down if I remove more of the console? I think adding some foam tape between the vent-grille and snapping it back on is going to be my next move unless anyone has had a better idea...

Best and happy V-Day,

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 02-14-2019 03:50 PM #2
      My overhead console is fine, but I have a near constant noise coming from the headliner area near the driver's overhead handle. A light application of pressure on the headline makes it stop, but that's not a very comfortable way to drive.

The dealer tells me that is where the driver's side curtain airbag is located. The car has been in the shop once already for this and they supposedly added some felt to this area, but it did not reduce the noise one iota. I'm looking for time in my schedule to take the car back to them for another look. Annoying as heck, but at least it has nothing to do with reliability or safety.

That's my one disappointment with the car. Otherwise, it looks like it will be a good car.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL Premium
      02-15-2019 11:41 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
      My overhead console is fine, but I have a near constant noise coming from the headliner area near the driver's overhead handle. A light application of pressure on the headline makes it stop, but that's not a very comfortable way to drive.

The dealer tells me that is where the driver's side curtain airbag is located. The car has been in the shop once already for this and they supposedly added some felt to this area, but it did not reduce the noise one iota. I'm looking for time in my schedule to take the car back to them for another look. Annoying as heck, but at least it has nothing to do with reliability or safety.

That's my one disappointment with the car. Otherwise, it looks like it will be a good car.

I have the same thing. Worse when it's cold out. A couple more facebook users got it fixed by changing some kind of bent pin behind the hadle. A guy sent me his service records so I can show it to my dealer but it's in French

Here is what I recorded:
      https://youtu.be/moz6rgdRoQA
      2019 Tiguan SEL Premium - Silk Blue
      Formerly 2012 EOS

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2019VWTiguanSEL-P R-Line 4 motion::2018VWTiguanSEL-P(bough back):: 2017MazdaCX-5GT+premium(Totaled)
      02-16-2019 02:22 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by theACN View Post
      I have the same thing. Worse when it's cold out. A couple more facebook users got it fixed by changing some kind of bent pin behind the hadle. A guy sent me his service records so I can show it to my dealer but it's in French

Here is what I recorded:
      hey i have the same issue can you please update your result as soon as you get it fix.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      02-18-2019 05:56 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by theACN View Post

Here is what I recorded:
      Correct me if I’m wrong, but this sounds similar to that B pillar issue on some earlier Tiguans. Perhaps try researching that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 03-16-2019 11:00 PM #6
      This is a follow-up on the noise coming from my drivers-side headliner area by the handle. Note that I'm not the original poster.

Yesterday I had a second trip to the dealer for this issue. This time, it appears they completely fixed it. They told me there is a plastic spacer around the handle that holds the headliner away from the metal roof in this area. During the original visit they only put a piece of dampening felt on the headliner side of the plastic spacer. This time, they took out the plastic spacer and put it back in with double-sided tape on the side of the spacer that goes against the metal roof, then left the felt in place on the side of the spacer that goes against the headliner.

This has solved the problem.

Vehicles
      '18 Habanero Tiguan
      03-17-2019 04:21 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
      This is a follow-up on the noise coming from my drivers-side headliner area by the handle. Note that I'm not the original poster.

Yesterday I had a second trip to the dealer for this issue. This time, it appears they completely fixed it. They told me there is a plastic spacer around the handle that holds the headliner away from the metal roof in this area. During the original visit they only put a piece of dampening felt on the headliner side of the plastic spacer. This time, they took out the plastic spacer and put it back in with double-sided tape on the side of the spacer that goes against the metal roof, then left the felt in place on the side of the spacer that goes against the headliner.

This has solved the problem.
      This is great to know, I have the issue as well, already had it looked at and they said they couldn't find anything, but it has been less noisy since they took it apart, if it gets worse I will let them know about this...