Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Recommended springs/struts

Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337, 1969 Type 3 Squareback
      02-15-2019 01:54 PM #1
      I'm looking to refresh my suspension this spring. I currently have Koni FSD struts/shocks and OEM springs. I'm in Central Illinois, so I have to deal with snow/potholes/assorted crappy weather. The OEM ride height has worked well. What springs on the market are comparable to the OEM lowered springs? What is also a good replacement for the Koni FSDs as those don't seem to be on the market any more? Coilovers are an option, however they need to be able to deal with salt in the winter and I don't plan on raising/lowering depending on the season.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like Tirerack still sells the Koni FSDs with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. How do these springs compare to OEM?
      Last edited by GTIXpress; 02-15-2019 at 02:00 PM.
      Joe P.
      2002 VW GTI 337 edition (201k miles and counting)
      1969 VW Type 3 Squareback (under construction)
      2018 VW Atlas SE V6 w/ 4Motion

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      02-20-2019 05:39 PM #2
      Another option: How do the ECS coilovers compare to struts/shocks?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...21544ecs01kt1/

This whole kit is cheaper than just the Koni FSD struts/shocks and springs.
      Joe P.

4. 08-04-2019 09:48 AM #3
      I have the forge adjustable coilovers on Guam (really bumpy roads) and I'm set to stiff and she handles like she's on rails brother. I feel the bumps, but not as bad as a typical strut/spring combo. And I'm low enough to where I don't have to do the honda speed bump shimmy, but low enough to ruin the seat bolster as my fat a$$ plops into my gokart. I'm loving the setup so far. Just comfortable enough to where my qife doesn't complain and stiff enough to where I feel planted.
      Great setup in my opinion

Vehicles
      03 Jazz Blue 20th, '07 Rabbit 4DR, '16 Golf Sportwagen 1.8TSI
      08-16-2019 08:13 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIXpress View Post
      I'm looking to refresh my suspension this spring. I currently have Koni FSD struts/shocks and OEM springs. I'm in Central Illinois, so I have to deal with snow/potholes/assorted crappy weather. The OEM ride height has worked well. What springs on the market are comparable to the OEM lowered springs? What is also a good replacement for the Koni FSDs as those don't seem to be on the market any more? Coilovers are an option, however they need to be able to deal with salt in the winter and I don't plan on raising/lowering depending on the season.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like Tirerack still sells the Koni FSDs with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. How do these springs compare to OEM?
      It will somewhat depend on your budget and also your ultimate priorities. The tried and true setup since the MkIVs came out has been Bilstein Sport shocks on H&R Sport or Race springs. The Sport springs are a similar ride height to the OEM 32G suspension, maybe a little lower, and just a little stiffer. The Race springs are more noticeably lower and stiffer. The Konis aren't bad shocks, but every time I've moved back to a Bilstein shock from something else I have been incredibly happy.

Given where you live and what you mentioned as being your priorities, I would stay away from budget shocks and coilovers. They never pan out. Buy nice or buy twice. If you're considering coilovers, you can't go wrong with Bilstein, Koni, H&R, or KW. I've been through the gamut of suspensions on my 20th, and you will absolutely feel the difference (both immediately and over time) with quality shocks versus budget ones.
      1.8T AWP : IE rods : PPT Vband GT2871R : 550cc Bosch EV14s : TT225MAF: Bosch HFFP : Eurodyne Maestro

Vehicles
      2016 PW GTI S 2DR Euro OEM+, 2004 Jetta GLI Wagon (in progress), 2001 Ford Ranger
      08-16-2019 08:54 AM #5
      I had KYB Adjustable shocks and H&R race springs on my GLI, (ECS sells a package I believe) loved the set up. Easy to change settings on the shocks, especially the rears as the knob was on the bottom of the shock. Springs were a 2" drop so if thats too low you could opt for sport springs instead.

edit: link
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...s/29527kybagx/
      Master Parts Consultant Don Thornton VW

GLI Wagon Build https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...LI-Wagon-build

I'd rather drive hard then park hard

Vehicles
      08-16-2019 02:08 PM #6
      I ended up going with Koni FSDs again along with matching Eibach springs. Tirerack still sold them as a matched kit. Ride height looks to be the same, although ride quality seems a bit harsher. I think these springs have a different spring rate than the stock ones, even though most people thought that the factory springs were Eibach. It's not bad, but I definitely feel every bump in the road.
      Joe P.