VWVortex.com - Saw an electric Ram ProMaster
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Saw an electric Ram ProMaster

02-16-2019 01:49 AM #1
      I was dropping off a relative at the San Jose airport and I noticed a "Zenith Electric Van" dropping off passengers. I had never heard of this company before. Looks like they are (were?) offering a short-range EV version of the Ram ProMaster.

http://www.zenith-motors.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith website
      Zenith Electric Passenger Van
      Our passenger van offers seating for up to 16 with multiple seating configurations available. The overall cost for a Zenith Electric Van is lower than the traditional gas shuttle.
      80 mile range (optional 100 and 135 mile range available)
      6 kW charging system (optional 12 kW charging system available)
      55 MPH (electronically limited)
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport - Pompei Silver
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      02-16-2019 02:02 AM #2
      They do conversions. There's a few shuttle busses around here that they converted

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      02-16-2019 10:59 AM #3
      12kW charger isn't a very common size.

Surprised they didn't opt for a CCS module, that would unlock some relatively cheap 25kW chargers.

Based on the range and some rough idea figures for a vehicle of that size...
      I'm guessing .4-.5 kWh/mile - more aerodynamic and smaller vehicles are in the .2-.3 kWh/mile range.
      So an 80 mile range gives a needed kWh of 32-40kWh
      Wonder if they're using Leaf batteries...
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, Bluestar (preordered)
      02-16-2019 11:46 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      12kW charger isn't a very common size.

Surprised they didn't opt for a CCS module, that would unlock some relatively cheap 25kW chargers.
      From their website their main market is hotel shuttle service. I doubt fast charging is needed for that. As long as it's plugged in when not in use, that's probably enough.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      02-16-2019 02:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      From their website their main market is hotel shuttle service. I doubt fast charging is needed for that. As long as it's plugged in when not in use, that's probably enough.
      It may not be needed, but for the larger capacities/ranges it would probably be a good idea to have "fast" charging available.

If you assume that a shuttle service runs 17 hours a day (7AM to midnight), an 80 mile range means that you're going to do at best a 4.5 mile round trip every hour, unless you down the shuttle for a mid-day boost. 4.5 miles round-trip seems appropriate for a shuttle route to my mind, maybe an even 5, so if you spring for the 135mile version you get an extra 50 miles of padding and extra HVAC usage.

Those 80 miles are going to take you 9 hours to recharge with a 6kW charger; you won't get a full charge with the base charger. The 12kW charger would be necessary for basic service.

If you have a hotel run that's longer, or you run your shuttle service 24 hours a day, you will need access to DC charging. A 25kW "slow" charger would refill 25 miles of range over a half-hour lunch break downtime. Add in 10-15minute layovers for shift changes, slow periods, waiting on getting people loaded or offloaded at the hotel...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of both AC and DC chargers. AC chargers are cheap, easier to install, and generally tend to be very reliable and durable. I think they should be everywhere, in parking lots of stores and offices and apartment complexes. I think ubiquitous AC charger installation would almost completely alleviate the "need" for public-access fast charging for personal vehicles.

But DC charging has its place. For industrial vehicles, for commercial applications, for racking-up-the-miles every day usage you can't beat the power delivery of a well built DC Fast Charger, where time is critical enough to warrant the up front increased cost and the demand charges that can come with using them.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      02-16-2019 09:51 PM #6
      I had no idea that was a thing.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

8. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      02-17-2019 10:08 AM #7
      Promasters are garbage, the ones we have at work are constantly having issues.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery