VWVortex.com - Played with some rare Porsches and an E30 M3 today.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Played with some rare Porsches and an E30 M3 today.

1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      02-23-2019 07:25 PM #1
      So I got this text. "Cancel whatever plans you have on the 23rd" along with a screenshot of a conversation.

Don't have to ask me twice. Calendar officially wiped clean. When my benefactor asks if I want to drive, I drop what I'm doing.

On the agenda is a '73 Carrera RS, a '77 930 Turbo Carrera, '92 964 Turbo S2, a Lotus Elise Sport, and an imported E30 M3 Sport Evolution.

I get to his place, and he asks if I don't mind pulling the S2 out of the garage. Well...the garage is the size of a small closet, and the garage door looks narrower than the front of the car, much less the rear hips. I was careful, and was just a tad nervous.

The S2 was filthy as he actually drives his cars, and it's been wet out.

Yeah...I'm in love

Love the graphics on the 930

Hopped into the S2 to get gas

This thing is a looker

My reaction when I get to drive a 1 of 20 rare as hell 964

On the Golden Gate on our way to the Marin headlands

So the S2. Gutless under 3k, but it doesn't struggle if you're driving nicely. Really comes on boost after 4,500 rpm, so in the tight stuff, it was a lot of dropping back into 1st. Thankfully G50 trannys slot right in, especially if you double clutch. Steering doesn't have the nervous shuffle of early 911's, but it's just as communicative. While the car was dampened well and had really low NVH, it weight transferred really well, and loaded the outside rear tire well when you'd trail brake, so you could just lay the weight with the brakes, get into the boost and just rocket it out of turns.

Unlike the Kremer, the gearbox was friendly, quick, and the gear ratios were spaced well to keep it on boost, but if you were caught sleeping you would have to row it down a gear to get it to chase the RS with the instant on power of the NA MFI engine.

So we stopped for a photo op after 20 miles of some epic roads that chased the coast north of San Francisco

So I got handed this

My feelings on the matter:

So this car. Gear change is typical of an older 911. It's vague, slow, and you don't want to hustle the shifter. The engine? OMG the engine. Pulls like monster past 3,000rpm, has usable torque at low rpm, and it pops, bangs, backfires, shoots flames, and just sounds downright pissed off at all times. Lift after a WOT pull? It's louder on decel than it was at WOT with a glorious note that reminds me of watching RSR cars lap at the historics. While it's not as loud as the race cars, the engine note is 100% there. It's the quieter older sister against the brash RSR sound.

The steering is pure old 911. It's wiggles, dances, moves, follows the road imperfections, follows the grip, tells you where to place it when the tail rotates, and is a joy all in all. The more grip you generate the more the wheel quiets down some; it's happiest when the car is loaded mid corner.

The suspension is a lot sharper and stiffer than my friends '71 911T hotrod. It doesn't quite throw grip away over bumps, but it's close. My friends '71 deals with road imperfections better, but it's a lot more imprecise when you're hustling. The RS is a lot easier to place. With Avons on it, the RS does wiggle around while it gets a little slip angle in the tires, and when you trail brake, the rear takes a little longer than the 964 to load up, and it's easier to over do it requiring some steering corrections. Unlike the 964, the immediate power makes it easier to keep the tail loaded with the throttle.

So we are driving along, and come across what can only be described as a water hazard. Owner of the RS is a few cars ahead, and he charges through it, so off I go through it too. Sound on for my feeling on the matter

I know McMike...I know. Vertical video. Not my fault.

We stop for another photo op.

Complaint list with the RS is short. I'm too big for the car. I'm 6'2'' with long legs, and I'm stuffed into it. I fit in my friends '71 just fine, but these seats, this seat rail, etc just smush me in there. Also, for whatever reason, the steering wheel seems further right than my friends '71.

First gear:

Second gear:

Whatever. It's a '73 RS. Where there's a will there is a way. IDK if took 10lb's of butter and those human pushers that Japanese trains use to smash passengers in at rush hour, I will fit and make it work.

So the 964 is blocking the road for a photo, and a park ranger shows up and asks us to move along. 964 says "nope" and won't restart. Grounding strap is being a pain, but we get it out of the road.

I jump into the '77 930, and head out to the coast while some of the other cars are being shot. The 930 compared to the RS and the 964 is more like a GT car. It's soft, gentle, has a lot more squat and dive, and this one doesn't have the wait and whack turbo that the 964 has. The clutch in it is light, the 4spd shifts great. It's pretty direct and light, which doesn't match the other 930's I've driven or the Kremer. All in all, it's more plush, softer, but an incredible well sorted 930. Doesn't crackle and pop on decel like the 964 S2 does, but it was a riot.

Off to the E30. This is an old worn out example:

Dogleg Getrag box like my E9 had!!

Good old Lave-Glace issues. You know.

The Sport Evolution takes a normal M3 up a notch. .2L bigger engine, it works below the power band well, the gearbox is slick and shifts great with no notch or hesitation at the synrcho, but it has the typical Getrag rubberyness. Steering is slow compared to the other cars, but it's a fun momentum car. I have a ton of seat time in US spec M3's, and this one was faster, a lot sharper mid corner, dampened better, and overall was more fun to drive.

I'm not an E30 M3 leg humper though; the TCL god's chariot meme's from days past are lost on me. They're only really good when you're hammering on them, and in daily use a 325is is a better car. That being said, I wasn't commuting to work, but exploring coastal roads, so I was happy with it. Whatever brake pads were in it didn't have great initial bite, and man they were hot by time we parked for a final photo, and that's the only car that had brakes that warmed up.

The Elise? I used to sell them. It's cool. I had a VVTL-i issue and wouldn't always come on the cam, so it was a fun momentum machine.

So it was time to pack it in, so we dropped the cars off, grabbed my rental, and went to a German restaurant for lunch and a much needed beer.

What. A. Day.

Thanks for reading!!

EDIT:
      Here's links to articles that were written about those cars and our time with them

'73 Carrera RS

964 Turbo S2

'77 930

E30 Sport Evo
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 04-02-2019 at 12:48 PM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-23-2019 07:29 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      02-23-2019 07:32 PM #3
      Wow.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      02-23-2019 08:36 PM #4
      Thanks for sharing!
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      02-23-2019 08:40 PM #5
      Holy cow!!

I think I might go with the same color combo Coco mats for the Capri. I've been torn between that and the checkered pattern.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

7. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      02-23-2019 08:45 PM #6
      Giggity.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      02-23-2019 09:25 PM #7
      fantastic

9. 02-23-2019 09:29 PM #8
      Wow, that's awesome. Brendan, you have a great group of car guys out there. You're very lucky to be able to drive all of those epic cars.....

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      02-23-2019 09:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
      Thanks for sharing!
      I'm in love with that 73
      "somebody's giving me a whole lotta money to do what I think I want to"

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      02-23-2019 09:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      So I got handed this

My feelings on the matter:
      jealous awesome excursion! good writeup too.

Vehicles
      M2 + LR4
      02-23-2019 09:50 PM #11
      Epic! I need better friends after reading this
      Mike

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      02-23-2019 10:08 PM #12
      Epic thread! Thanks for sharing.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-23-2019 10:36 PM #13
      Thanks for sharing. What a day.

02-23-2019 11:37 PM #14
      What fun! I’ve never heard of the 964 S2 before. Just when you think you know something you realize there’s still more to it.

16. Member
      02-24-2019 12:21 AM #15
      My God that blue. Awesome write-up!

Vehicles
      Group B WRC, Group A DTM, and BHRC Cat 3.
      02-24-2019 01:06 AM #16
      Super nice!
      I saw Montana plates in one of the pics and instantly knew you were in California.
      If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

What is a Homologation car you ask?
      http://www.fia.com/list-previously-homologated-cars

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      02-24-2019 06:27 AM #17
      Sweet

Vehicles
      '12 CC 6mt , ‘07 997tt, ‘16 Yukon, '16 XC90
      02-24-2019 06:59 AM #18
      Sounds like a day worth clearing the calendar for! Thanks for sharing.

X....

20. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MIL Machine
      02-24-2019 07:55 AM #19
      only slightly jeaous

That blue Carrera is gorgeous though
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      02-24-2019 08:17 AM #20
      My reaction when I get to drive a 1 of 20 rare as hell 964
      Both of you have those crazy eyes. As in... don't allow either of those people pictured near your sausage.

*runs*

Those are wild cars tho, very jealous of your shenanigans.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

22. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-24-2019 08:18 AM #21
      So this car. Gear change is typical of an older 911. It's vague, slow, and you don't want to hustle the shifter. The engine? OMG the engine. Pulls like monster past 3,000rpm, has usable torque at low rpm, and it pops, bangs, backfires, shoots flames, and just sounds downright pissed off at all times. Lift after a WOT pull? It's louder on decel than it was at WOT with a glorious note that reminds me of watching RSR cars lap at the historics. While it's not as loud as the race cars, the engine note is 100% there. It's the quieter older sister against the brash RSR sound.

The steering is pure old 911. It's wiggles, dances, moves, follows the road imperfections, follows the grip, tells you where to place it when the tail rotates, and is a joy all in all. The more grip you generate the more the wheel quiets down some; it's happiest when the car is loaded mid corner.

The suspension is a lot sharper and stiffer than my friends '71 911T hotrod. It doesn't quite throw grip away over bumps, but it's close. My friends '71 deals with road imperfections better, but it's a lot more imprecise when you're hustling. The RS is a lot easier to place. With Avons on it, the RS does wiggle around while it gets a little slip angle in the tires, and when you trail brake, the rear takes a little longer than the 964 to load up, and it's easier to over do it requiring some steering corrections. Unlike the 964, the immediate power makes it easier to keep the tail loaded with the throttle.
      Hmmmm. Do you think the difference between the RS and your friend’s ‘71 is more about tires or suspension? I suppose it could be 50/50 or so, but observing from the cheap seats doesn’t give me any real insights.

Thanks for the writeup, you lucky bastard, you!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      06 4runner
      02-24-2019 09:41 AM #22
      Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing looks like an awesome day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      02-24-2019 10:02 AM #23
      VVLTAKLi issue?

I was promised VTAK. This thread sucks.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

25. 02-24-2019 12:37 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      What fun! I’ve never heard of the 964 S2 before. Just when you think you know something you realize there’s still more to it.
      Turbo S2, built as a homologation car for the IMSA Bridgestone Supercar series in the early 90s.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      02-24-2019 12:57 PM #25
      I'm at a loss for words... I can't even imagine driving a real Carrera RS. Like literally, my brain won't let me imagine it. You lucky ****, you...
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast