VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model Y Compact Crossover EV Unveil Set For March 14th

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      03-03-2019 06:47 PM #1
      https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1102332778492772352

Perhaps an even bigger hit than the Model 3 given the boner that Americans have for crossovers?

Tesla will unveil its Model Y crossover SUV on March 14th during an event at the company’s design studio in Los Angeles, CEO Elon Musk announced Sunday. The new electric car will be Tesla’s fifth since the company was founded in 2003.

The Model Y will share about 75 percent of its parts with the Model 3, which is currently Tesla’s most affordable car. It will be built at the company’s Gigafactory outside Reno, Nevada, and is supposed to enter volume production in 2020. Tesla also eventually plans to make Model Ys at the Gigafactory it’s building in Shanghai, China.

Musk’s announcement comes just three days after Tesla finally made the long-promised $35,000 Model 3 available to order.

Tesla has only shown one teaser image of the Model Y to this point: a simple black-and-white silhouette. But the company’s been talking about the car for years. In 2015, Musk tweeted the name of the Model Y before quickly deleting the tweet. He also went back and forth on whether the compact SUV would be built on the same technological platform as the Model 3, before ultimately deciding to share technology between the cars in order to be able to bring the Model Y to market on time. Musk said Tesla signed off on the final design late last year.

Musk had previously joked that the Model Y would be unveiled on March 15th “because the Ides of March sounded good.” A few Chinese media outlets had speculated earlier this month that Tesla might wait to reveal the car at April’s Shanghai Auto Show.

Musk also tweeted Sunday that the third version of its “Supercharger” electric car charging stations will be revealed this coming week. The first public station will go live at 8PM PT on Wednesday, March 6th, though he didn’t reveal the location.

Version 3 of Tesla’s Supercharger is supposed to be able to charge cars at a rate of 350kW or more, according to previous tweets from Musk. That would help the company keep pace with some budding competition in the space. Porsche has said it will build 350kW chargers for its much-anticipated lineup of electric sports cars, and Volkswagen has already begun building a network of charging stations under the Electrify America brand that can charge between 150kW and 350kW. Tesla’s current Superchargers have a max rate of 145kW, and its cars can only accept up to 120kW.
      https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/3/18...led-march-14th
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      03-03-2019 06:56 PM #2
      Model Why?
      Salt is angry sugar.

03-03-2019 07:01 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Model Why?
      Model 3 owners keep calling their cars M3s so it wouldn't surprise me if they call the Tesla Model Y the TMY, pronounced Timmy. Either way it should be popular for sure.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      03-03-2019 07:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Model Why?
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Model 3 owners keep calling their cars M3s so it wouldn't surprise me if they call the Tesla Model Y the TMY, pronounced Timmy. Either way it should be popular for sure.
      Model S
      Model E (Model 3)
      Model X
      Model Y

Ford f**ked up the “sexy time”
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-03-2019 08:08 PM #5
      I would be excited for this, except I almost know it's going to have a boring all-straight-lines crap interior and a big huge screen just floating in the middle, and I cannot contemplate sitting in that environment for my daily commute for even a week, let alone the life of the car in my possession.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      03-03-2019 08:29 PM #6
      How is there not a deposit/waiting list for this at least like 4 times as long as the Model 3's ?
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

8. 03-03-2019 08:34 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      How is there not a deposit/waiting list for this at least like 4 times as long as the Model 3's ?
      ... only because, at the moment, it is not possible to place an order for one.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I can see it cannibalizing Model 3 orders.

Prediction: it will look like a taller Model 3 just like the Model X looks like a taller Model S, with the liftgate/hatchback that lots of people had wished the Model 3 had. And no falcon-wing doors, and the roof won't be one big piece of glass like the Model 3 because of the liftgate. I'm sure Musk will have insisted on some silly unique feature for it; that seems to be how he operates.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      03-03-2019 08:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I would be excited for this, except I almost know it's going to have a boring all-straight-lines crap interior and a big huge screen just floating in the middle, and I cannot contemplate sitting in that environment for my daily commute for even a week, let alone the life of the car in my possession.
      It's seriously miserable. Every day I want to off myself because, holy crap, the lines are straight. The screen. OH MY GOD, THE SCREEN! Just FLOATING. In the MIDDLE. Like a MIDDLE FLOATY THING. And the panel gaps! How am I supposed to play Marble Madness on this??

The world has never known worse suffering than my daily commute.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

10. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      03-03-2019 09:15 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      Prediction: it will look like a taller Model 3 just like the Model X looks like a taller Model S, with the liftgate/hatchback that lots of people had wished the Model 3 had.
      not unlike most car companies - same sorta shape in s, m, l, xl, etc...

in to find out if this has some goofy unneeded feature like the X

Vehicles
      03-03-2019 09:23 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      It's seriously miserable. Every day I want to off myself because, holy crap, the lines are straight. The screen. OH MY GOD, THE SCREEN! Just FLOATING. In the MIDDLE. Like a MIDDLE FLOATY THING. And the panel gaps! How am I supposed to play Marble Madness on this??

I have a long commute. Not entirely by choice, but not entirely by not-choice either.

I spend a great deal of time (not necessarily miles) in my car, so yes, I do want something that I can enjoy being in for that chunk of time.

The interior is the only part of the car which the owner spends a ton of time looking at, so yeah, it's subject to tastes and preferences.

A Model S or X interior? I like those.

A Model 3 interior? It was enough that I didn't put down the deposit I had set aside for one.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      '16 4Runner SR5, '18 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
      03-04-2019 03:18 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post

Not hard to understand really. Some people like a modern downtown, minimalist loft (I don't) but I respect those who do. Some like a bungalow or ranch style home in the suburbs, with trendy flooring, granite counters and a pool. Other like a cozy cabin in the woods, or a farm on acreage. To me Tesla's are a minimalist, modern loft in the trendy section of a downtown area. I'm sort of in-between the Suburbs and rural farmhouse, and most comfortable in my 2018 Tundra interior as an example.

13. 03-04-2019 03:33 AM #12
      1960:

50 years later:

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, BlueStar (ordered)
      03-04-2019 05:06 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      1960:

50 years later:

Hush, you. Didn't you know that more buttons = better car?
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      03-04-2019 06:22 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Hush, you. Didn't you know that more buttons = better car?
      My futuristic aesthetic is more Star Wars, not Star Trek.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, BlueStar (ordered)
      03-04-2019 06:28 AM #15
      Indeed. Star Wars - lots of buttons

Star Trek - full digital interface

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      Fake Rich C300
      03-04-2019 06:31 AM #16
      But now you can't say 'engage' anytime you launch the car!

03-04-2019 09:24 AM #17
      Well isn't it super great that you have a crap ton of totally curvy squiggly lined multi buttoned Japanese models to choose from, that'll surly keep you busy and occupied in your commute. I personally can think of worst commuting environments i.e. standing with coughing commuters on a crowded subway train for one. I mean you may not like the interior but it can't be THAT bad.
      Last edited by RENOG; 03-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Tesla Model 3 LR RWD EAP
      03-04-2019 09:30 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Cutandthrust View Post
      Not hard to understand really. Some people like a modern downtown, minimalist loft (I don't) but I respect those who do. Some like a bungalow or ranch style home in the suburbs, with trendy flooring, granite counters and a pool. Other like a cozy cabin in the woods, or a farm on acreage. To me Tesla's are a minimalist, modern loft in the trendy section of a downtown area. I'm sort of in-between the Suburbs and rural farmhouse, and most comfortable in my 2018 Tundra interior as an example.
      Yes sir. I know why I bought my model 3. I also recognize now why it's not for me, not as my only car. It's too reserved of personality. The minimalistic modern loft is something I hate. The minimalism of the model 3 is cool for some, or cool for those who want the best appliance. But I want more life to my car.

That said - model Y is going to sell like crazy.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      03-04-2019 09:31 AM #19
      I just think the steering wheel is incredibly ugly.

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      03-04-2019 09:38 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      I just think the steering wheel is incredibly ugly.
      This. Why couldn't they just stick with the steering wheel from the S/X?
      Also is it actually going to be an 2 box SUV, or have that trendy rear "coupe" profile that the GLC/X4/Model X has?
      Last edited by Ark6; 03-04-2019 at 09:41 AM.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      03-04-2019 09:48 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Why bother putting a deposit on it? Only the first 5000-10,000 buyers on the Model 3 got priority over others. Within a few months anyone could order a Model 3, deposit or no deposit.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      03-04-2019 09:53 AM #22
      I just can't stand the center screen, the rest of the interior is fine on the Model 3. Why can't they put another damn $20 screen behind the steering wheel? I could even make do with just a HUD to display speed and range.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-04-2019 09:55 AM #23
      Elon, take my money.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-04-2019 10:01 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      Perhaps an even bigger hit than the Model 3 given the growing preference that humans on planet earth have for crossovers?
      Fixed that for you.

Preferring a CUV over other body styles is not a character flaw as several posters here imply, and certainly not a unique trend to the United States.

26. 03-04-2019 10:19 AM #25
      I predict this will be ugly... and sell like crazy. I am curious if the lower trim models will be available near launch since this is ~75% Model 3.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast