The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model Y Compact Crossover EV Unveil Set For March 14th

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-04-2019 10:20 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by silverlegacy View Post
      I predict this will be ugly... and sell like crazy. I am curious if the lower trim models will be available near launch since this is ~75% Model 3.
      I highly doubt it. Why wouldn't you sell your high-profit higher trim levels until demand settles down and then go for more volume at the lower price point?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-04-2019 10:28 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I highly doubt it. Why wouldn't you sell your high-profit higher trim levels until demand settles down and then go for more volume at the lower price point?
      PR (only real reason I can come up with)... that way people can't doubt the base Model Y in the same fashion it was doubted about the 35k Model 3. I doubt the base Y will be RWD, so I think the base would be more around a decontented AWD 3.

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      03-04-2019 10:40 AM #28
      I predict this will be ugly... and sell like crazy. I am curious if the lower trim models will be available near launch since this is ~75% Model 3.
      Well the X has AWD standard, and with the lower range that will likely come out of body style, I'm not sure that Tesla would even bother offering a short range Y. I don't think a 200 mile range Y would be a strong selling car.

5. 03-04-2019 10:47 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      Well the X has AWD standard, and with the lower range that will likely come out of body style, I'm not sure that Tesla would even bother offering a short range Y. I don't think a 200 mile range Y would be a strong selling car.
      The 3 doesn't get AWD outside of the long-range battery, but I could see a mid-range battery Y with AWD. Doubt a standard range will happen... if it does the standard range might just be mid range with a name change.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      03-04-2019 11:09 AM #30
      Tesla needs profitable sales. Either they will price the lower trim Model Y to be profitable from the start or they won't sell it until they see a big decline in demand.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-04-2019 11:57 AM #31
      "Please put in your deposits for one so we can use it as an interest-free cash float! What's that? We're not in desperate need of cash."

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Tesla Model 3 LR RWD EAP
      03-04-2019 11:58 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by meroving1an View Post
      "please put in your deposits for one so we can use it as an interest-free cash float! What's that? We're not in desperate need of cash.
      ding ding ding

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      03-04-2019 12:47 PM #33
      God I hope it's better looking/proportioned than the Model 3. I love the Model 3's range and performance. I don't particularly like its interior, but don't mind it. It's not a show stopper. But that exterior, and especially the lack of a hatch are hard to get past for me. I think the Model Y solves those issues, assuming it'll have a hatch, but just a little improvement in its proportions compares to the Model 3 would be great.

I think the Model S looks great, and the new Roadster is gorgeous. The Model X and the Model 3 are just really lacking in the looks department, mainly because of their awkward proportions.

03-04-2019 01:43 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      The Model X and the Model 3 are just really lacking in the looks department, mainly because of their awkward proportions.
      x2 I'm hoping this comes out with normal SUV proportions, rather than a goofy shrunken Model X look (which already looks like a poorly MS Paint stretched Model S.)

03-04-2019 01:59 PM #35
      God I hope it's better looking/proportioned than the Model 3.
      It's likely going to just be a taller Model 3, as others have mentioned. Possibly something like this:

If that looks good or not is up to the individual to decide.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      03-04-2019 02:10 PM #36
      I don't mind the looks of the 3's steering wheel; not as nice as the S, but still pretty decent. That said, it's much nicer to use. The S has a crazy buttonworld going on, way more controls than I want to learn how to use (given that every car is different, you can never keep track of which car you're driving.. even after 3 years with my Golf R, I still had to look down to figure out which button was which for the less commonly-used things like cruise control.. rant on, give us the stalk-based cruise back!!)

The wheel on the S is also much larger in diameter and has a thinner rim; that makes the 3's wheel a lot nicer to use in practice.

We bought the 3 to carpool in, when my job moved close to my wife's. It's a MUCH more pleasant place to spend an hour a day than a 2008 Impreza Love everything about the interior, frankly. The rear and rear 3/4 visibility could use help though. The view out the windshield is like something mid-engined, the hood is so low. Excellent audio system. Pre-heat the car before you leave the house. Foot to the floor the second you get in it, no worrying about waiting for the motor to warm up. etc.

But yeah, my Golf R was a much more unique car, and I don't spend enough time babying my Clownshoe these days -- it's really weird to have the car i drive most days be a generic appliance. I'm not used to that. I'm not used to something I haven't done some tasteful mods to and really take pride in. It's nothing against the 3, it's just incredibly common, and there's nothing special about mine. To begin with, I'm not really a sedan person, so I'm not sure I could ever be passionate about one.

If I had all the parking room in the world, I'd have kept the R, but.. that's life.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, Bluestar (preordered)
      03-04-2019 02:15 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      It's likely going to just be a taller Model 3, as others have mentioned. Possibly something like this:

This is obvious but I would think they'd also replace the trunk with a hatchback for proper crossover utility.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

03-04-2019 02:18 PM #38
      buy tsla

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      03-04-2019 02:46 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post

I get that's a bad photoshop, but I'm hoping it'll at least have a hatch, and be practical. I wouldn't put it past Tesla though to just make it a Model 3 with a slight lift, and avoid a hatch.

Vehicles
      03-04-2019 02:50 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      buy tsla
      Down from $319 on Friday to $283 today. Still has another $33 to get to the 1 year low of $250.

After the Model Y, what other rabbits does Musk have to pull out of his hat?

And where and when are they going to be able to build this Model Y anyway? Is there more room for a second tent in Fremont?

17. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-04-2019 02:55 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Down from $319 on Friday to $283 today. Still has another $33 to get to the 1 year low of $250.

And where and when are they going to be able to build this Model Y anyway? Is there more room for a second tent in Fremont?
      After the Y is the pickup, new roadster, and semi. After that it will probably be autonomous pods.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      03-04-2019 02:56 PM #42
      So that's it. They wanted to give the physical Tesla buyers the same feeling as the TSLA buyers. Now it makes sense.

The pickup truck apparently, as he's been citing as the project he's most excited about. No doubt that Rivian stole that thunder with a well designed and well throughout truck. I'm curious just how much that has forced Tesla to revise their design.

The gigafactory.

19. 03-04-2019 03:16 PM #43
      I get that's a bad photoshop, but I'm hoping it'll at least have a hatch, and be practical. I wouldn't put it past Tesla though to just make it a Model 3 with a slight lift, and avoid a hatch.
      Given that the "crossover" is today's hatchback or station wagon, it's practically certain to have a hatch. Also, with the vehicle being taller, the excuse that Tesla had for the Model 3's one-piece rear window and partial roof (headroom for rear seat passengers - no room for a cross brace there) goes away.

"Sharing 75% of parts" - probably means the underpinnings are all the same, possibly many interior parts are the same, it's hard to imagine how most of the outer-skin parts could be the same.

The other Tesla vehicles have all each had a goofy off-the-wall unique feature that nobody expected. This probably will, too.

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      03-04-2019 03:23 PM #44
      Can my wife run over curbs in this thing? That's all I need to know.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-04-2019 03:26 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Can my wife run over curbs in this thing? That's all I need to know.
      If she does I guarantee it won't have a load cam knock.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

22. Senior Member
      03-04-2019 03:33 PM #46
      If she does I guarantee it won't have a load cam knock.
      Just a silent fire.

03-04-2019 11:49 PM #47
      If this thing has a regular hatch, instead of the model X egg shape, I will find it very hard to resist,

24. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-05-2019 12:10 AM #48
      Elon, take my money.
      Yes Elon...

Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      03-07-2019 01:26 PM #49
      The gigafactory.
      You know more than even Elon Musk then.

Tesla doesn’t know where it will build the Model Y as it rolls out more layoffs and cost cuts

• While CEO Elon Musk is hyping the company’s new crossover SUV, the Model Y, Tesla has yet to decide where it can make room to manufacture the car.
      • Tesla head count dropped by another 8 percent since the electric vehicle maker announced it would close most stores and sell online only, people familiar with the situation told CNBC.
      • Employees say Tesla has not yet informed all sales staff about whether or not their stores will close or if they’ll be able to keep their jobs.
      • Tesla employees also say the company is not yet making 7,000 vehicle batteries a week consistently at the Gigafactory in Nevada.

Tesla executives still have not decided where to manufacture the company’s forthcoming crossover SUV, the Model Y, according to six current and former employees. This despite the fact the company is planning to formally unveil the vehicle for the first time on March 14 at the company’s design center in Hawthorne, California.

Two other people who work for Tesla vendors said the automaker did not contact them about working together on Model Y production until after CEO Elon Musk teased the unveiling in a tweet on March 3. That’s one indication Tesla has barely begun planning for Model Y manufacturing, they said.

Musk has already said the Model Y should cost about 10 percent more than the Model 3, which starts at $35,000.

Along with a pickup truck that Tesla plans to unveil later this year, the Model Y could ensure that Tesla’s lineup stays competitive versus offerings from other electric truck and SUV makers. Those rivals include Rivian, a newcomer funded by Amazon, and established automakers like BMW and Hyundai, who are honing in on Tesla’s territory with electric cars.

Employees say Tesla executives, including its president of automotive, Jerome Guillen, are wavering between two options for Model Y production. They are trying to decide whether Tesla should allocate space in the Gigafactory, the company’s massive battery plant outside of Reno, Nevada, or combine the Model S and Model X body lines at its car plant in Fremont, California, to make room to build the crossover SUVs.

One employee said if executives have made a decision, they haven’t given a green light to employees who will be involved in setting up the Model Y lines and eventually building the vehicles.

A Tesla spokesperson pointed to a February letter to shareholders, but declined to offer an update on Model Y planning. The letter said, “This year we will start tooling for Model Y to achieve volume production by the end of 2020, most likely at Gigafactory 1.”

Why the Model Y

According to forecasts from LMC Automotive, SUVs are expected to comprise 50 percent of all car sales in the U.S. by 2020, up from about one-third in 2013. The Model Y could help Tesla tap into that wave of demand and gather up customer’s reservation payments meanwhile before production begins.

In its fourth-quarter update, Tesla said that the Model Y should share about 75 percent of its components with the Model 3. Car companies typically share parts between models to save on development and production costs. Tesla has never made cars with that many parts in common before, but it intended to. Its Model S and Model X wound up sharing less than one-third of their parts, Musk told analysts on the fourth-quarter earnings call Jan. 30.

Current and former employees say that setting up a Model Y line at the Gigafactory may require buy-in from Panasonic, Tesla’s battery cell supplier and a major partner in the Gigafactory.

A Tesla proponent at Panasonic, Yoshio Ito, the Japanese company’s executive vice president of automotive, recently resigned, the company disclosed at the end of February. When Tesla and Panasonic established their Gigafactory partnership in 2014, their agreement said the two companies would have to mutually agree on how to manage “the land, building and utilities” at the facility.

Panasonic did not reply to requests for comment.

Employees noted the Gigafactory is constantly under construction, and not currently set up to handle things like body stamping, glass and seat installation, painting of cars and end-of-line quality control for assembled vehicles. Parts of the Gigafactory are cramped already, they added, so it’s hard for them to imagine how Tesla can make room for increased battery production, material flow and workers needed to make the Model Y there in high volumes.

Deep cuts

At the same time, Tesla is in the midst of extreme cost-cutting measures in its quest to become profitable, and to make its electric vehicles mainstream.

Last week, the company announced it would move all vehicle sales online and close most of its retail stores, letting go of thousands of employees in the process. The ongoing workforce reduction follows a nine percent layoff Tesla implemented in January 2019, and an earlier 9 percent layoff in June 2018.

Some Tesla stores will convert into galleries where customers can get information about its cars and maybe buy Tesla-branded merchandise the company said in a blog post on February 28.

One sales employee said Tesla has left workers in the dark about whether or not their stores are closing, and whether or not they will have a job when the transition to online sales is finished.

On Tesla’s website, the company listed 129 stores and galleries as of March 1. On March 6, the website listed 106 stores and galleries. Current and former Tesla employees said headcount fell about 8 percent within the last week, basing their estimates on internal data.

A Tesla spokesperson said as of the week of March 4, the company employed more than 40,000 people. In its 2018 annual report, Tesla said it had 48,817 employees. Subtracting an estimated nine percent for January’s layoffs brings that total down to 44,223 and subtracting another eight percent — following Tesla’s move to close most stores — would put Tesla’s headcount around 40,869 today.

Machine that builds the machine

Meanwhile, Tesla management has asked employees to limit their travel and work remotely whenever possible, as one of many ways to save costs.

In a recent e-mail that Musk sent to Tesla employees the CEO warned of more belt-tightening to come. He wrote:

“In the coming weeks, we will be evaluating all areas of our sales and marketing organization to understand where there are operational efficiencies, and how best to support the transition to online sales, while also continuing to deliver a truly awesome and educational Tesla buying experience.”

In Fremont, small items like rivets and fasteners have been in limited supply recently, when there used to be a surplus on-site, one employee said.

At the Gigafactory, management has sent hourly workers home mid-shift or asked them to take personal time off or volunteer for unpaid time off in recent weeks, leaving some with less income than they planned to earn. These people said that some Gigafactory shifts were cancelled due to snow-related closures on Donner Pass, a highway Tesla relies on for consistent flow of supplies to and from the Gigafactory.

Gigafactory workers also said that while the company’s semi-automated battery production lines have improved by leaps and bounds in the past year, Tesla is still not consistently making 7,000 vehicle batteries a week there. Workers said they are striving to hit an 8,000 per week goal, which should allow Tesla to make 416,000 cars in a year.

Tesla gave guidance in its fourth-quarter earnings update that it was aiming to deliver 360,000 to 400,000 vehicles in 2019, about 45 percent to 65 percent more than its deliveries last year. More recently, Musk reiterated in a series of controversial tweets that Tesla should hit an “annualized production rate” of around 10,000 cars per week by the end of 2019, and still expected to deliver about 400,000 cars this year.

In 2016, Musk said: “What really matters is the machine that builds the machine — the factory. And that is at least two orders of magnitude harder than the vehicle itself.”

That level of operational excellence remains a work-in-progress at Tesla.

03-07-2019 03:46 PM #50
      Tesla doesn’t know where it will build the Model Y as it rolls out more layoffs and cost cuts
      I suspect they are waiting until they see the outcome of the trade agreement with China before announcing a decision. It's been reported that the tentative goal is to have an agreement that covers major goods like agriculture and cars by the end of March when Emperor Jinping is scheduled to make a trip to the US.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast