Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Model Y Compact Crossover EV Unveil Set For March 14th

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      03-09-2019 03:05 PM #51
      I'm always perplexed when people have such a hard-on for hating Tesla that they do far more research than the people who actually own and enjoy the cars.

Everyone needs a hobby, I guess.

Pro: Tesla releasing new car on my birthday!
      Con: Another goddamned crossover.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, BlueStar (ordered)
      03-09-2019 03:42 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      I'm always perplexed when people have such a hard-on for hating Tesla that they do far more research than the people who actually own and enjoy the cars.

Everyone needs a hobby, I guess.

Pro: Tesla releasing new car on my birthday!
      Con: Another goddamned crossover.
      But the charge times
      But the handful of cars where the doors don't line up perfectly
      But the lack of dealerships and online only buying
      But...
      But...
      But...

At this point I just don't care because to the automotive faithful there's always something to move the goalposts.

And, yes, another crossover. Because Tesla wants money and people with money want crossovers.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-09-2019 04:07 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      But the charge times
      But the handful of cars where the doors don't line up perfectly
      But the lack of dealerships and online only buying
      But...
      But...
      But...

At this point I just don't care because to the automotive faithful there's always something to move the goalposts.

And, yes, another crossover. Because Tesla wants money and people with money want crossovers.
      I have my own private rage for people who whine about charge times, or expect recharging their car to be just like refilling their gas car.

It's an expectation that really, really needs to just die off; it has so many unintended and publicly-unknown consequences, while the solution already exists and has almost no non-behavioral downsides...
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      03-09-2019 04:11 PM #54
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 04:48 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I have my own private rage for people who whine about charge times, or expect recharging their car to be just like refilling their gas car.

It's an expectation that really, really needs to just die off; it has so many unintended and publicly-unknown consequences, while the solution already exists and has almost no non-behavioral downsides...
      Tell them to use https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ and see exactly how much charging it should take before complaining. And soon TM3's will have rapid charging battery preconditioning so put the SC stops in the nav route.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 04:52 PM #56
      Tell them to use https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ and see exactly how much charging it should take before complaining. And soon TM3's will have rapid charging battery preconditioning so put the SC stops in the nav route.
      Eh. Supercharging is part of the problem, to be honest.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 04:55 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Eh. Supercharging is part of the problem, to be honest.
      I've plotted a bunch of longer routes using it and I would need maybe 5-15 minutes tops total. In other words, use of an SC is not necessarily an 1hr+ affair unless you really are going cross country.

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 05:00 PM #58
      I've plotted a bunch of longer routes using it and I would need maybe 5-15 minutes tops total. In other words, use of an SC is not necessarily an 1hr+ affair unless you really are going cross country.
      I'm not talking about the route planner, which is a pretty cool tool I think.

But meh.

Vehicles
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '15 BMW i3 BEV, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      03-09-2019 05:36 PM #59

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      03-09-2019 06:11 PM #60
      I plotted a route from St. Petersburg, FL to Scottsdale, AZ. I route I drove a couple of times over the last year or so. If I plot that 2200 mile route using a standard range Model 3, travel time is 35 hours. Charging time is almost 9 hours. Cost to charge is $123. A long range Model 3 would cut travel time to 33 hours and charge time to 5:34. Cost to charge is $93. I can understand the reduction in charge time but I'm not sure why the travel time and cost is less though.

If I switch the car to a Chevy Bolt (or any of the other EVs that site offers), the route cannot be planned. I guess there aren't enough chargers in their database? Or are there parts of the country that totally lack charging infrastructure?

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 06:20 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I plotted a route from St. Petersburg, FL to Scottsdale, AZ. I route I drove a couple of times over the last year or so. If I plot that 2200 mile route using a standard range Model 3, travel time is 35 hours. Charging time is almost 9 hours. Cost to charge is $123. A long range Model 3 would cut travel time to 33 hours and charge time to 5:34. Cost to charge is $93. I can understand the reduction in charge time but I'm not sure why the travel time and cost is less though.
      Is the LR model more efficient? That might be it.

If I switch the car to a Chevy Bolt (or any of the other EVs that site offers), the route cannot be planned. I guess there aren't enough chargers in their database? Or are there parts of the country that totally lack charging infrastructure?
      Good question. It may be an error because as I zoom in, it will show non-Tesla chargers. Perhaps mostly Tesla drivers are giving data to the site.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      03-09-2019 06:53 PM #62

First, I don’t have all the answers; just speculating here.

-If you’re using a non Tesla trip planner, it could be including some chargers that charge a flat fee plus time, rather than per kWh.
      -The LR could reduce the number of stops, so if there’s chargers with $10+time or $10+kWh fee structures, saving a stop saves dollars
      -Trip planners would assume you have charging at your destination, so you could be running a bigger battery closer to empty at the end.
      -Try out Tesla’s trip planner. They have their own so it might be more accurate for their cars & Superchargers.

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 07:06 PM #63
      Good question. It may be an error because as I zoom in, it will show non-Tesla chargers. Perhaps mostly Tesla drivers are giving data to the site.
      I can do a FL to CT route with a Bolt. I guess the EV charging infrastructure isn't built out well enough to cross the country along I-10? Or that route planner is missing one or more of the major charging companies?

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      03-09-2019 07:49 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-09-2019 08:12 PM #65
      Ha! Just came to post that.

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 08:18 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      First, I don’t have all the answers; just speculating here.

-If you’re using a non Tesla trip planner, it could be including some chargers that charge a flat fee plus time, rather than per kWh.
      -The LR could reduce the number of stops, so if there’s chargers with $10+time or $10+kWh fee structures, saving a stop saves dollars
      -Trip planners would assume you have charging at your destination, so you could be running a bigger battery closer to empty at the end.
      -Try out Tesla’s trip planner. They have their own so it might be more accurate for their cars & Superchargers.
      The Tesla trip planner is only for the 3 long range cars, S, X and 3. No info for medium or short range. And it doesn't show the travel time compared to the charging time. You have to do your own math.

That said, Tesla's trip planner show 10 hours, 10 minutes of charge time for the trip with a long range Model 3 compared to the route planner's 5:34. That is a huge discrepancy. I don't know who to believe. I guess if https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ route were accurate, it would have a better route than Tesla's trip planner. Tesla has 18 stops. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ has 14 stops.

03-09-2019 08:52 PM #67
      Tesla has 18 stops. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ has 14 stops.
      So... why aren't you driving to the airport and catching a same-day flight instead? Just curious. Generally anybody with a Tesla has pretty valuable time and may not want to spend 2-3 days on the road when a 5 hour flight can get the job done instead.

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 09:05 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      So... why aren't you driving to the airport and catching a same-day flight instead? Just curious. Generally anybody with a Tesla has pretty valuable time and may not want to spend 2-3 days on the road when a 5 hour flight can get the job done instead.
      I plotted this trip because I've driven it a couple of times over the last couple of years (although primarily in the other direction). I know that it is rather lengthy and goes through some areas of the country that a more sparsely populated. It is a trip you can do in a Tesla. But it doesn't seem to be a trip you can do in any other EV. At least not using normal EV chargers that are available 24/7 to the public. I also wanted to see how much charging time is required to do it in a Tesla. I do find it odd that there is such a wide variation between planners.

My last road trip was FL to northern CA in a Volt. Hopefully I won't have to do that again. Flying non-stop TPA-SFO is much better.

Vehicles
      03-09-2019 09:27 PM #69
      The Tesla trip planner is only for the 3 long range cars, S, X and 3. No info for medium or short range. And it doesn't show the travel time compared to the charging time. You have to do your own math.

That said, Tesla's trip planner show 10 hours, 10 minutes of charge time for the trip with a long range Model 3 compared to the route planner's 5:34. That is a huge discrepancy. I don't know who to believe. I guess if https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ route were accurate, it would have a better route than Tesla's trip planner. Tesla has 18 stops. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ has 14 stops.
      You can pick a shorter range car on the Tesla planner like the Model S Standard (270mi) at least. I want to say they had a ~240 mile X before but not right now. Really should list all their models.

It struck me now that there’s no L3 charging for Model 3s (& Y?) outside of Superchargers. There’s no approved ChaDEmo or CCS adapter, so the trip difference can’t be a different charging network. So out of curiosity I plugged in a route I’d potentially drive, with the LR 3 available on both tools. Tesla gives me 11 stops, 26hrs. ABRP gives only 7 stops, drive+charge = 25hrs. Looks like Tesla is not running the battery as low between stops, and also perhaps using a more conservative charge rate per stop. ABRP is pushing it down to 10% at some stops, and even departing them as low as 38% if it’s enough to hit the next one by 10%. Sounds like best case scenario optimization vs a more generalized plan with more cushion.

03-14-2019 01:43 AM #70
      The stream will be here: http://www.tesla.com/modely
      2018 Fiat 500e eSport - Pompei Silver
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White
      WTB: 2006 Lotus Exige NA - PM me if you're selling

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 08:25 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      Thank you for the reminder, Wimblebot

23. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      03-14-2019 10:48 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      They're making me stay up late for this? C'mon man, I'm old now.

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 11:22 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      They're making me stay up late for this? C'mon man, I'm old now.
      They're definitely making their preferred market known. "Screw those east coasters who have to work tomorrow."

In good news I'll probably just wait till the morning and thus get the unveil on my birthday!

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      03-14-2019 11:38 AM #74
      (Pre-reveal): I’m excited!

I will post a post-reveal later....

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      03-14-2019 11:50 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      I just can't stand the center screen, the rest of the interior is fine on the Model 3. Why can't they put another damn $20 screen behind the steering wheel? I could even make do with just a HUD to display speed and range.
      $20 gps speedometer would be my first mod if I got one

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast