Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joining the club: baby on the way and need to trade-in the fleet

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      03-05-2019 05:20 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      what you should do: probably nothing major

what you are going to do: majorly upending your collection
      OP's spouse owns a Miata ND. Do nothing?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      03-05-2019 05:24 PM #52
      Blowout deal on an 18' Guilia Q and a Civic R.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      03-05-2019 05:37 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
      I'm just joining the others to say I haven't experienced back strain with putting kids in the backseat of a sedan -- and I'm 41 with a 3 and 4 year old. Sometimes we'll take my A3 in favor of the Forester XT. My wife, who usually carts the kids around, has even said she preferred my car to hers simply because there's less space to actually fill up with junk, so she has to be thoughtful about what she's bringing.
      It's a height thing. You wouldn't understand I'm 6'8" and the thought of the stoop/bend/twist motion sends shivers down my spine. Hell I had a tall day today, and couldn't reach the bottom of the kitchen sink without bending over.

Admittedly years ago people had mostly cars/wagons. But car seats were just boosters not today's monstrosities that require you to be a gymnast to get the kiddo around the sides.

Vehicles
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      03-05-2019 05:39 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Luckily (unluckily?) we are a short family. I am 5 ft 6, she's 5 ft 3 and my mother-in-law is 5 feet tall. We can make compacts work .
      Short or not, I feel like you are underestimating the space issues with rear facing seats.

I/my family is short as well, and rear facing seats behind passengers is a pain in the butt. I am talking from experience in a mk4 Golf, mk5 GTI and Rabbit, mk5 Jetta Sportwagen, b5 passat wagon, and a 2005 Saab 9-5.

Rear facing in this size of car, you basically need to center mount the seat so it can fill the void between the front seats... and doing this is less safe because you have to steal a Latch connection for either side, will likely not have a good place to straight down top tether the head portion of the seat... and the car seat then creeps into both side rear seat occupants space.

It's just not ideal.

If you want to head down the smaller car path. You really need to get into searching out smaller rear facing seats asap, so you can get one purchased and mount it in any perspective cars you are shooting for.
      Check out Clek, Combi Coccoro, Maxi-Cosi and Diono for some more space saving options.

If you can find a large sedan/wagon... that will help. Since you seem anti-SUV, I assume that would mean anti-minivan as well. Not saying with 1 kid you should even get a van. But with grandma there a LOT, plus a dog or two... especially if you have any plans for a potential 2nd kid.

A lot of your constraints really lean toward getting an SUV.

We crammed and managed with two wagons, wife had the passat wagon then a sportwagen, and because I wanted one I had a 9-5 wagon... but once we had a 2nd kid and got about a year into 2 kids... the hassle just got the best of my tolerance, and I bought a used minivan for family hauling duty. Great decision. Sliding doors are awesome, so easy to jump into the van when the weather is being crappy. Room for all the activities, then some. And seating for 8, plus still a bunch of crap, if needed... I can(and have) use the back nearly like a pickup as needed.

Vehicles
      2016 Audi A3, 2015 Subaru Forester XT
      03-05-2019 05:42 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      It's a height thing. You wouldn't understand I'm 6'8" and the thought of the stoop/bend/twist motion sends shivers down my spine. Hell I had a tall day today, and couldn't reach the bottom of the kitchen sink without bending over.

Admittedly years ago people had mostly cars/wagons. But car seats were just boosters not today's monstrosities that require you to be a gymnast to get the kiddo around the sides.
      haha while I could feign being offended at your assumption that i'm vertically challenged, you're correct so I can't be too upset.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 05:55 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      what you should do: probably nothing major

what you are going to do: majorly upending your collection
      You would keep a Miata as your primary car when you have upwards of 4.5 (the dog comes sometimes) people in your household and might be on baby + in-law duties at times? How would that work? Taxis?

Vehicles
      03-05-2019 05:58 PM #57
      You would keep a Miata as your primary car when you have upwards of 4.5 (the dog comes sometimes) people in your household and might be on baby + in-law duties at times? How would that work? Taxis?
      You have already stated that you will be buying a new or nearly new family car for your wife.
      Why do you NEED to buy TWO family cars?

I have a miata as well.
      I have two kids, a wife, and two 50# dogs. And grandma is our nanny so is around quite often.

If we need to take the family car... we do just that. We don't act foolish and expect the miata to work.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2019 06:05 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      You have already stated that you will be buying a new or nearly new family car for your wife.

I have a miata as well.
      I have two kids, a wife, and two 50# dogs. And grandma is our nanny so is around quite often.

If we need to take the family car... we do just that. We don't act foolish and expect the miata to work.
      It's complicated. The Miata is manual and while my wife can drive it, she doesn't like it. She also has to be in the office 4 days a week. I have the ability to be flexible with my time in office and hours, but I also never know when an emergency is going to happen and I need to fly out for work. As I said earlier, in theory the Miata can work, but it's not ideal. The first time the Golf R **** the bed was when both my MIL and SIL were visiting. Oops, now we need to rent a car. I would hate to be in that situation with baby + in-laws.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-05-2019 06:10 PM #59

I have a miata as well.

I don't know about the OP, but my wife and I alternate drop off and pickup off of the kids daily. So we both need a car that can haul kids. I have a 2seater but that's only for days when I don't need to take them; it doesn't work when I do. So if you're a 2-car household, it's entirely possible that a 2seater isn't going to work for you at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2019 06:15 PM #60

I have a miata as well.

It's complicated. The Miata is manual and while my wife can drive it, she doesn't like it--bad memories of learning on an old diesel Peugot. She also has to be in the office 4 days a week. I have the ability to be flexible with my time in office and hours, but I also never know when an emergency is going to happen and I need to fly out for work. As I said earlier, in theory the Miata can work, but it's not ideal. The first time the Golf R **** the bed was when both my MIL and SIL were visiting. Oops, now we need to rent a car. I would hate to be in that situation with baby + in-laws.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-05-2019 at 06:24 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      03-05-2019 06:16 PM #61
      How tall is she? I would consult Cars.com's car seat check to see how well car seats fit. A lot of those RWD compact crossovers suck in the leg space compartment

I think the bigger compact sedans are OK. My lowered G37 was no harder to get my daughter into than my wife's MKX. Optima is a little harder because the door opening is smaller. Something upright with a decent back seat like an A4, Q50 or 3 series should work fine.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2019 06:21 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      How tall is she? I would consult Cars.com's car seat check to see how well car seats fit. A lot of those RWD compact crossovers suck in the leg space compartment
      5 ft 3 and CUVs/SUVs are off the table.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      03-05-2019 06:24 PM #63
      I ain’t reading 3 pages of replies.

Buick Tour-X wagon for the family car. Civic Si for the fun dad car. Put the savings in a college account for the kid.

We had a Mazda 6 wagon and Civic coupe (both manual) with 2 kids in baby seats.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      03-05-2019 06:28 PM #64
      I change my vote:

Car 1: Mercedes C43 AMG wagon, screw your wife's aversion to German cars
      Car 2: whatever you can get for your remaining budget. GTI if it works and two German cars won't send your wife up the wall. A Hyundai Elantra GT N if you need something Asian to balance out the Merc.

We made rear facing child seats work in a Protege they've got to work in these cars.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2019 06:29 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      I ain’t reading 3 pages of replies.

Buick Tour-X wagon for the family car. Civic Si for the fun dad car. Put the savings in a college account for the kid.

We had a Mazda 6 wagon and Civic coupe (both manual) with 2 kids in baby seats.
      Canuckistan. There is no Tour-X wagon. Also GM royally ****ed over my home town, so no. If GM had not done what they did to Oshawa, this could have very well been "I bought a demo CT6 and ATS-V!" thread.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-05-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Vehicles
      03-05-2019 06:33 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I don't know about the OP, but my wife and I alternate drop off and pickup off of the kids daily. So we both need a car that can haul kids. I have a 2seater but that's only for days when I don't need to take them; it doesn't work when I do. So if you're a 2-car household, it's entirely possible that a 2seater isn't going to work for you at all.
      Its the plural kidS that gets you.

The OP is just on kid 1... thus even in a pinch, the miata can work for this.

But I get it. It has the potential to make things harder.

For me I just think its a bit early to knee jerk and change literally everything.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-05-2019 06:59 PM #67

For me I just think its a bit early to knee jerk and change literally everything.
      Does the Miata have a LATCH system?
      Can you turn off the front and side airbags?

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      03-05-2019 07:11 PM #68

Listen, I put my kid in a 2seater way before it was considered responsible by anyone, but I at least waited until she was forward-facing and in a booster (~4 years old). Rear-facing and in a 2 seater? I don't care if the airbags turn off, that's bad juju.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      15 Mazda 3, 07 Ducati Monster S2R
      03-05-2019 07:24 PM #69
      ^^ by using the front seat, you're also assuming that the airbag won't go off.
      Even with the airbag 'off' there's still that freak chance that airbag may go off, it's not a 0% chance like a back seat is.
      If you want to play the risk game go for it...

21. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-05-2019 07:27 PM #70
      The expat package includes a standard issue Mercedes C-Class wagon or E-Class sedan in your choice of black, silver or white (I kid you not). It's always fun visiting the expat community in Wiesbadden: it's a sea of monochromatic Mercedes.
      Actually I'm surprised it's that basic. You should see some of the packages out there at other companies...down to sport package and heated seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      03-05-2019 08:12 PM #71
      Canuckistan. There is no Tour-X wagon. Also GM royally ****ed over my home town, so no. If GM had not done what they did to Oshawa, this could have very well been "I bought a demo CT6 and ATS-V!" thread.
      So you bought a Mazda and a VW and are mad at GM for closing plants because people aren’t buying their cars. Got it.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-05-2019 08:19 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      So you bought a Mazda and a VW and are mad at GM for closing plants because people aren’t buying their cars. Got it.

24. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-05-2019 08:35 PM #73
      Just buy a VW Golf Alltrack.

There's no way you're going to find something that checks all the boxes on your list unless you either get an SUV/CUV or get a German wagon.

You've got to give somewhere.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Honda Civic Si, 2017 Nissan Murano Sv, 2019 VW Jetta 1.4T S
      03-05-2019 08:49 PM #74
      Ctsv wagon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

26. 03-05-2019 09:02 PM #75
      For the wife, I would look at an Alfa Stelvio or Giulia. You can easily find new leftover 2018 for under $35,000. With a baby, the Stelvio would be better due to the larger rear storage space that can easily accommodate a Peg Perego stroller.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28880&zc=60521

For you, keep the Miata as long as you can. Adopt the Stelvio for yourself when you have more kids and the wife moves on to a minivan and make the Miata a third car.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast