VWVortex.com - Joining the club: baby on the way and need to trade-in the fleet
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 249

    Thread: Joining the club: baby on the way and need to trade-in the fleet

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2008
      Location
      Hood River, oregon/ Seattle
      Posts
      3,160
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      03-05-2019 09:33 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Unless you're disabled, there's no reason to be throwing out your back putting a child in a sedan.


      You must be pretty damn unfit if putting a child in a sedan is ''messing with your body''
      heh... well, I do have a back issue but I wouldn't say I'm unfit.

      I do dream of this maneuver though



      Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      728
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 09:37 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      So you bought a Mazda and a VW and are mad at GM for closing plants because people aren’t buying their cars. Got it.
      Have you not paid attention at all to the GM bailout? Like how we gave them billions, they didn't pay the loans back in full and then closed Oshawa? Or are you trying to excoriate me for not buying GM despite having an ATS in the past?

    4. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      10,419
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-05-2019 09:42 PM #78
      I have to say, the entire "it's uncomfortable to put kids in sedans" argument is a bit long in the tooth.

      I take our daughter to and from daycare, she's two, I have to pick her up to throw her in the car seat and obviously still lift her out. It's no more uncomfortable doing it in my car than it is doing it in the CUV.

      I'm 5'10".
      Instagram - efrie004

      Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      728
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-05-2019 09:47 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Actually I'm surprised it's that basic. You should see some of the packages out there at other companies...down to sport package and heated seats.
      The company used to be a lot more paternalistic, but we acquired quite a few Animal Health companies and they realized you can't send Reps to rural Canada or the States in Nazi sleds.

    6. Member Stevo12's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2015
      Location
      Hartford, CT
      Posts
      2,743
      Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      03-05-2019 10:19 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      Short or not, I feel like you are underestimating the space issues with rear facing seats.
      This.

      My wife's due in June w/ our first, and we put the car seat (Chicco KeyFit 30 that we got from some friends) in her Mazda3, and nope. My knees were wedged up against the dash (I'm 5'9") and while my wife (5'5") is a little more comfortable than I, we were not gonna have that as our trip car. The fitment is slightly better in the Frontier, but its 17 mpg put the brakes on that as our trip car, at least in my wife's mind (I would have been fine with it).

      We flirted with getting the new CUV that we'd planned on replacing her 3 with in a few years time (CX-5 or VW Tig) but in the end we didn't want to jump back into payments while having a daycare payment on top of it. That kind of ruled out other sensible options such as used CamCords, which are worth several thousand over the value of the Mazda, which has 120,000 miles on it already. Enter the '08 Outback, which I just pulled the trigger on as our baby car.

      Now, I'm not recommending an 11-year-old Subaru for you AT ALL, but this is to give you a size reference. The amount of space we had in the front seat of the Outback, with the car seat placed behind, was less than I'd like but much more doable than the Mazda. You might be able to get away with a newer Civic Si/Type R as your "compact" but I think that's as small as you're gonna be able to get with a rear facing seat.

      Food for thought. And congrats
      FS in CT: 2013 Mazda3 iTouring 6-speed hatchback - 122k miles

    7. Member lowlight's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2005
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      1,926
      Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-06-2019 08:14 AM #81
      Wow, exciting times OP!

      You list good options for you & your wife.

      I like the CTR/Si, Stinger/G70, Giulia, V60 ideas. I also really like the C43 AMG & RS3. I think the Buick Regal TourX is a huge value too.

      Let us know what you decide!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

    8. Member iWantaTurbo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2001
      Location
      columbus ohio
      Posts
      1,204
      Vehicles
      90 gti vr6; 94 passat vr6; 10 BMW 335i sedan rwd SP CWP
      03-06-2019 08:47 AM #82
      keep the R and get a v8 JGC for her.
      I daily an f30 BMW and my daughter's rear facing car seat fits in it nicely with room for a front passenger. A 340xi would be a blast as a dad mobile if you cant force the R issue.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      728
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-06-2019 09:00 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by iWantaTurbo View Post
      keep the R and get a v8 JGC for her.
      I daily an f30 BMW and my daughter's rear facing car seat fits in it nicely with room for a front passenger. A 340xi would be a blast as a dad mobile if you cant force the R issue.
      I have zero interest in BMWs. Owning an E46 M3 was enough BMW headaches for one life time. JGC is a no-go: she absolutely hates the SUV driving position.

    10. Member will951's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      2,267
      03-06-2019 09:16 AM #84
      As some others have stated.....I'd proceed slowly if I were you. First child doesn't disrupt much to be honest (even though it will feel like it!!).

      Go spend $15K on a mini van. Drives smooth, EASY to put kids in, plenty of space for in-laws/dog/kids/stroller, easy to park, good mileage. There is a reason they are the ultimate family hauler. Drive it into the ground and don't give a sh*t....that's the beauty.

      My wife is still in denial....hence why we have a collection of terrible vehicles. My Tahoe is miserable to drive and miserable to put kids in (and I'm 6'1"). Durango is pretty good, other cars in my sig are clearly useless.

      Good luck and congrats!
      Cars - E92 M3, 944 Turbo
      Jeeps - TJ, XJ
      Other - 14 Durango, 16 Tahoe

    11. Member iWantaTurbo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2001
      Location
      columbus ohio
      Posts
      1,204
      Vehicles
      90 gti vr6; 94 passat vr6; 10 BMW 335i sedan rwd SP CWP
      03-06-2019 09:18 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I have zero interest in BMWs. Owning an E46 M3 was enough BMW headaches for one life time. JGC is a no-go: she absolutely hates the SUV driving position.
      Oh I get the headache, I'm on my second one but i guess I'm a glutton for punishment. But TBH the f30 is MILES different reliability wise than a e46 M3. GL with your search. That charger is very appealing!

    12. Member cockerpunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2010
      Location
      Twin Cities MN
      Posts
      6,528
      Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      03-06-2019 09:20 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      Its the plural kidS that gets you.

      The OP is just on kid 1... thus even in a pinch, the miata can work for this.

      But I get it. It has the potential to make things harder.

      For me I just think its a bit early to knee jerk and change literally everything.
      this
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2015
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      896
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-06-2019 09:29 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I have zero interest in BMWs. Owning an E46 M3 was enough BMW headaches for one life time. JGC is a no-go: she absolutely hates the SUV driving position.
      You guys are just filled with optimism, ha?

    14. Member madrussian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2003
      Location
      Akron, OH
      Posts
      7,489
      Vehicles
      LS & Bags...
      03-06-2019 09:33 AM #88
      heres my two cents as someone who has 2 children, had 1 child, and owns a golf R.

      i went from a jgc to a golf r when i only have 1 child, as others have mentioned, with 1 child, though it may seem it, not much changes. you can probably fit 1 car seat in most cars comfortably and still have over half the backseat to spare. when that child becomes forward facing, its even easier because you're no longer moving up the seat to accommodate. the rear facing is the killer honestly, but you can make it work in a pinch, everyday? yeah it might get old if you're all in the car together.

      when the 2nd child comes along, its all goes out the window because every vehicles is now a 2 door, with the 2nd row utilized for goldfish, socks, sippy cups and car seats with the rear dedicated to strollers and cargo.

      im ditching the R now that I have 2 car seats, because there's no real circumstance under which its comfortable to have 2 car seats, 1 rear facing, in the R. admittedly im a big framed guy too, so that doesnt help the case either.

      having driven thousands of miles in a honda odyssey, everyone is correct that a minivan is by far and away the most comfortable option with children. its not even a competition, the minivan wins. you may not think it has the swag or sex appeal of something else, but one thing you quickly learn as a parent is that you dont give a damn about that, its all about convenience.

      you say no to a cuv/suv, so the minivan is the only perceivable option. a station wagon is just gong to be a glorified sedan w/ a bigger cargo space, and im not sure how that solves the space issue pertaining to rear facing seats, etc.

      also, every car seat is designed to work w seatbelts or the latch system, so even w/o it you can still make do if need be.

    15. Member T_Dub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2006
      Location
      NL
      Posts
      530
      Vehicles
      2018 SB Golf, 1989 325i, 1977 KZ650
      03-06-2019 09:39 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      This.

      My wife's due in June w/ our first, and we put the car seat (Chicco KeyFit 30 that we got from some friends) in her Mazda3, and nope. My knees were wedged up against the dash (I'm 5'9") and while my wife (5'5") is a little more comfortable than I, we were not gonna have that as our trip car. The fitment is slightly better in the Frontier, but its 17 mpg put the brakes on that as our trip car, at least in my wife's mind (I would have been fine with it).

      We flirted with getting the new CUV that we'd planned on replacing her 3 with in a few years time (CX-5 or VW Tig) but in the end we didn't want to jump back into payments while having a daycare payment on top of it. That kind of ruled out other sensible options such as used CamCords, which are worth several thousand over the value of the Mazda, which has 120,000 miles on it already. Enter the '08 Outback, which I just pulled the trigger on as our baby car.

      Now, I'm not recommending an 11-year-old Subaru for you AT ALL, but this is to give you a size reference. The amount of space we had in the front seat of the Outback, with the car seat placed behind, was less than I'd like but much more doable than the Mazda. You might be able to get away with a newer Civic Si/Type R as your "compact" but I think that's as small as you're gonna be able to get with a rear facing seat.

      Food for thought. And congrats
      Yep. I had a B5 S4, now I have a Golf. Neither of which allow much comfort for a front passenger sitting in front of a rear facing seat.

      My wife has sat in my Golf in front of the baby (19 months atm) in her seat and while it was do-able, its not the preference. We generally use the Tiguan for baby duty. Unless its just me and the munchkin, in which case she goes on the passenger side and it doesn't matter.

      When we have two kids the Golf will be a no-go because I can't drive comfortably (5'-9") that far forward. Honestly not sure what we'll do at that point. Its about a year out for that, and I'll only be 1.5 years into the Golf. We probably just wont use it for the kids at all. Wife is a teacher so she drops off/picks up anyway, me doing it is very rare/unusual.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      728
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-06-2019 09:48 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      You guys are just filled with optimism, ha?
      I just don't have time to be dealing with BMW problems. Yes, they've come a long way, but when stuff goes wrong on them, it's a nightmare. My parent's X5M has been in twice for overheating issues because BMW still insists on building their cooling systems out of garbage plastic.

      As for SUVs, what can I say, she gave them ample tries (SRX, XT4, RDX, X5M, Santa Fe) and hated them. People are going to like what they like.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      728
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-06-2019 09:54 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by T_Dub View Post
      Yep. I had a B5 S4, now I have a Golf. Neither of which allow much comfort for a front passenger sitting in front of a rear facing seat.

      My wife has sat in my Golf in front of the baby (19 months atm) in her seat and while it was do-able, its not the preference. We generally use the Tiguan for baby duty. Unless its just me and the munchkin, in which case she goes on the passenger side and it doesn't matter.

      When we have two kids the Golf will be a no-go because I can't drive comfortably (5'-9") that far forward. Honestly not sure what we'll do at that point. Its about a year out for that, and I'll only be 1.5 years into the Golf. We probably just wont use it for the kids at all. Wife is a teacher so she drops off/picks up anyway, me doing it is very rare/unusual.
      My takeaway from this entire thread is to be patient. The spectrum of answers (lowered Jetta + baby slings to buy as much car and accessories as you can) makes it really hard to make a decision. The Golf R is definitely going to go, so I will probably shop for the Mrs and see how we are coping with that plus the Miata when the baby is born.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-06-2019 at 09:57 AM.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2015
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      896
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-06-2019 09:58 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I just don't have time to be dealing with BMW problems. Yes, they've come a long way, but when stuff goes wrong on them, it's a nightmare. My parent's X5M has been in twice for overheating issues because BMW still insists on building their cooling systems out of garbage plastic.

      As for SUVs, what can I say, she gave them ample tries (SRX, XT4, RDX, X5M, Santa Fe) and hated them. People are going to like what they like.
      Gotcha. I guess I don't embrace certainty, and don't throw around the word "hate" as liberally.

      For me, a new F31 has little to do with an E46 M3, and the idea of someone potentially really liking a V60 or V60 CC, but "hating" an XC60 seems a little ridiculous and overdramatic.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      3,557
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      03-06-2019 09:59 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      Its the plural kidS that gets you.

      The OP is just on kid 1... thus even in a pinch, the miata can work for this.

      But I get it. It has the potential to make things harder.

      For me I just think its a bit early to knee jerk and change literally everything.
      A Miata will not work for picking up 1 kid from day care.

      I am in a similar situation to The_Real_Stack. Wifey drops off, I pick up. I prefer to drive my car when the family goes out. So overall leg room is paramount, and the only way something like a Miata would work would be as a 3rd car. And for me at least the costs would need to be justified by usage.

      Plus what is the right time? Once the kids come time takes on a different value. Might as well get it out of the way now

    20. Member T_Dub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2006
      Location
      NL
      Posts
      530
      Vehicles
      2018 SB Golf, 1989 325i, 1977 KZ650
      03-06-2019 10:04 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      My takeaway from this entire thread is to be patient. The spectrum of answers (lowered Jetta + baby slings to buy as much car and accessories as you can) makes it really hard to make a decision. The Golf R is definitely going to go, so I will probably shop for the Mrs and see how we are coping with that plus the Miata when the baby is born.
      Thats a good take-away. Get something for the Mrs with a sufficient back seat for a rear facing convertible. Our Graco extend-2-fit is pretty massive in rear mode, which our girl will be in until she outgrows the specs, then she'll get turned around.

      My thought on it is, if your miata can have the passenger airbag turned off, theres no need to get rid of it just yet. See what works for you. You'll ditch the miata at some point (2 kids maybe), but immediately going out and buying 2 suburbans is not really necessary either. We do fine in Golf + Tiguan, and honestly Tiguan + Miata would be fine as well until number two comes along.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      728
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-06-2019 10:12 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Gotcha. I guess I don't embrace certainty, and don't throw around the word "hate" as liberally.

      For me, a new F31 has little to do with an E46 M3, and the idea of someone potentially really liking a V60 or V60 CC, but "hating" an XC60 seems a little ridiculous and overdramatic.
      How is it ridiculous? The ride height and seating position are dramatically different between the V60 and XC60. My wife had a very visceral reaction to driving SUVs and so they're out. I'm not going to try and push her into something she dislikes driving every day because it might be more practical.

      As for BMWs, I acknowledged they've come a long way, but my family has a relatively new X5M and it still has those idiosyncratic (read: annoying) BMW problems. I just do not have patience for that, just like my wife has no patience for the VW breaking down on her twice.
      Last edited by unhappymeal; 03-06-2019 at 10:29 AM.

    22. 03-06-2019 10:23 AM #96
      I'm sure this is covered in the 4 pages already, but will share my experience:

      For reference we had a Mini R53 (mine) and a Mazda 5 (hers) when my son was born. We now have a Golf Alltrack and the Mazda with kid #2 arriving.

      Both served us very well when our son arrived. Mazda was the go to family mobile for 90% of duties. Sliding door is a very helpful in parking situations and getting car seat in and out. Wide opening door with no rake in opening = huge benefit getting car seat in and out. Trunk is more than big enough for stroller, diaper bag and groceries.

      Mini was perfect as back up for when son was in a rear facing seat since I could easily put him in from the trunk. Much easier than through a wide door that can never be opened fully in parking lots. Front seat was tight as result but manageable for when I handled pick ups or odd time the three of us were out. When he went into a front facing seat we started to have bigger problems. At that point I had to think hard and upgraded to a larger vehicle which is large enough for 2 kids.

      Personally I would stick with the Golf R as it is just about perfect - in fact that was one of the options for when I sold the Mini. You might have trouble fitting the stroller depending how large it is, but for 90% of your trips it will do its job and then some. Bonus for being able to fit MIL or other traveler beside the car seat in the back.

      Your second car is where you are filling in the blanks as the family truckster/practical vehicle. Practical being key word. Smashing your head against the raked roof line every time you put the car seat in is not fun. Neither is a awkward door opening or a wide door that makes store visits a pain. A sufficiently large trunk for your daily chores is key: travel systems/strollers are not small, plus you have your diaper bag to worry about and room for whatever you are doing such as groceries. You also need to consider seat height. Are you/your wife short? if so, lifting a 30 pound squirming baby + car seat combo into a Suburban will get old FAST! You also may want to separate the dog from the baby, so a sedan is out!

      From your list:
      - his: keep your R, all the others dont solve any problem and create practicality issues instead
      - hers: look for a van or low sitting SUV if she is really against vans, or a wagon

      Bring your stroller+car seat to dealers and try installing, taking in/out etc. That will really show you what you can/cant live with.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2013
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      994
      Vehicles
      '04 Reflex Silver GLI, '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (RIP)
      03-06-2019 10:27 AM #97
      I use my GTI as a family hauler and it’s perfect. I can pack it up for a week long family vacation (2 adults, 6 month old child, small dog), and that includes stroller, pack n play, and all the other things required for such an excursion.

      Keep the R.

    24. Banned NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      11,598
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-06-2019 10:37 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      this
      Wrong yet again.
      Does your precious Miata have a LATCH system?
      Can you disable the front AND side airbags?
      Will a car seat fit? Yes.
      Is it safe? Most likely not.
      But dont let your single, childless life keep you from spouting off about things you do not understand.

    25. Member Tokyosmash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2007
      Location
      Clarksville, Tennessee
      Posts
      3,823
      Vehicles
      00’ Focus Kona, 03’ Focus SVT, 18’ Expedition Limited, 14’ CB1100
      03-06-2019 10:44 AM #99
      Why are you giving your car up because of 1 baby?

    26. 03-06-2019 10:45 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Wrong yet again.
      Does your precious Miata have a LATCH system?
      Can you disable the front AND side airbags?
      Will a car seat fit? Yes.
      Is it safe? Most likely not.
      But dont let your single, childless life keep you from spouting off about things you do not understand.
      Nothing prepares you for the reality of parenthood like the reality of parenthood itself

      Best advise: take your time and dont rush into any car purchasing decisions.

    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-19-2006, 08:06 AM
    2. Ladies and Gents...I'm in the club!
      By M5forPhaeton in forum Phaeton
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: 01-31-2006, 12:19 AM
    3. Replies: 22
      Last Post: 08-09-2002, 06:47 AM
    4. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-07-2002, 06:41 PM
    5. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 06-11-2002, 01:26 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •