VWVortex.com - It's been a while. Another Spartan trailer story.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's been a while. Another Spartan trailer story.

1. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      03-08-2019 09:19 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Freudian slip, or truth-sayer? I've probably had too much bacon in my life. They probably call me Bacon Barry at my favorite breakfast dive. I just turned 67 and have likely shortened my life, but it's been worth it. I almost didn't get involved with this project as my health has declined since the crash of the Zephyr and an A-fib scare about two years ago that kept me from working on just about everything. Cutting myself while on blood thinners could have been disastrous, as would hitting my head under cars. That's almost a daily occurrence as I'm 6'5". It turned out I had a rare case of secondary hypertension brought on by sleep apnea. I resolved the apnea with a CPAP and the hypertension went away, leaving me with normal blood pressure and no A-fib. I'm one of the few people my age that require no medication.

I also developed an Essential Tremor in my dominant hand which I was sure would prevent me from doing mechanical work. The funny thing is that it never acts up while I'm working. I was totally freaked out to learn that my 65 year-old brother is in the end-stages of Parkinson's and his condition started in his right hand 6 years ago. I've been tested and there's no sign of Parkinson's, thankfully. It's not hereditary, but it sure scared the **** out of me and kept me from touching the '47 Lincoln I bought a year ago.

This project came about at the right time in my life as the more I do the better I feel which allows me to do more. Kind of a viscous circle in reverse.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Patrikman.
      A bit of a slip, it was late and I hadn’t notice. I blame my phone but I had also had a couple of beers after changing my oil and doing a couple of other things.

Glad to see you are not giving up on cars.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      17 Ram 4x4(Daily Hemi), '84 Rabbit (Slowly progressing project)
      03-08-2019 09:37 AM #27
      Nice to hear from you Barry!

I spotted your contributions to the conversation on the BaT Continental auction that made me look back through some of your older threads again.

Keep eating bacon and doing great work!

G
      █ ♣ █ Army

03-08-2019 10:06 AM #28
      I have 400 hours in polishing mine. The Alclad skin was meant to be polished, but 70 years of corrosion has to be removed to even get to the pure aluminum applied over the aluminum alloy. He's going to wait until it gets to its resting place to be polished the labor rate is far less down there. If I never polish another one it will be too soon.
      Holy god. I forgot that detail of your build.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU
      03-08-2019 10:10 AM #29
      Great to see you back Barry! Looks like a great project once you get it sorted out. Also great to hear that projects help you out with your health!

03-08-2019 10:33 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Holy god. I forgot that detail of your build.
      I could have had my own blackface scandal had anyone seen me after a day of polishing. I had to do my laundry at the shop as my wife wouldn't allow the clothes in her washer and dryer.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      03-08-2019 11:09 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post

Glad to hear it. An object in motion tends to stay in motion, you know? Keep that machine running, barry.
      You both reminded me of a German saying: Wer rastet, der rostet. Translated : if you rest, you rust. Thank you Barry, for the awesome posts.
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S (manual baby!) and a bunch of orphans
      03-08-2019 11:20 AM #32
      I ALWAYS appreciate a Barry project thread! I am glad you are still chugging along.

03-08-2019 11:26 AM #33
      Tom had all the glass replaced in the original frames with smoked 1/8" plexiglass and wanted to fix the windows in place, as the trailer has 3 fans and 2 a.c units. The handyman thought it was a great idea to use double stick foam tape, and they all leaked. He gobbed-on copious amounts of sealant, both inside and out, prompting Tom to have custom rain shields made and installed instead of fixing the actual problem created by the earlier installation,. I showed Tom how I did my trailer and he nearly broke his leg kicking himself. I had them rip them all out and clean up the sealant.

On my trailer I used a rubber gasket that was designed to hold pick-up rear windows in place. They never needed caulking, but these will due to existing fastener holes. This is what the first window looked like installed. I had him have all new windows cut in 1/4" material as the 1/8" plexiglass is too wimpy.

The key to proper gasket fit is to make it so tight that it has to be stretched to be installed. I found that by cutting the gasket up to an inch short and supergluing the ends together made for a perfect fit.

The only way to make superglue to work properly is to have two flat surfaces on the ends. To do this I select a short length of PVC tubing that just barely fits over the gasket. I pull it through the tube a couple of inches and then pull it back so it's like enough to be trimmed. Using an 80-tooth carbide blade I cut the rubber and PVC to produce a clean flat cut.

I used just shy of 100 feet of rubber gasketing.

The end result is a perfect waterproof seal. The new seals render the new shields above redundant, but I guess you can ever have too much water protection. Back in the day the installation of the shields would have violated the 8-foot width restriction, but now it's 8 1/2 feet, so, no problem.

Ready for installation.

Installed.

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-08-2019 11:29 AM #34
      YES!

It has been FAR too long since a Barry thread. I can't wait to actually see the photos when I get home (work blocks most photo hosting sites, sadly).

And Barry--I'm a huge believer in the restorative power of getting in your flow state and doing something meaningful. Good on you for rescuing this poor hacked up beauty.

Now, if you'd just get back to the limo build next...

03-08-2019 11:38 AM #35
      In. It's good to see you again, Barry.

Your Spartan trailer is an absolute work of art. It'd be an honor to see it someday.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      03-08-2019 11:47 AM #36
      Awesome, I loved the trailer build and this one is very cool, excited to read this whole thing after work with a beer
      Audi TT FAQ -- Outback EJ20Y swap

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Campbell
      I mean, there are two Darren Stevens, right? Dick York and Dick Sargeant. Shyeah, right, as if we wouldn't notice. Oh, hold on! Dick York, Dick Sergeant, Sergeant York...wow, that's weird.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-08-2019 12:09 PM #37
      Barry thread!!!

I learn something new from every story that you post, so I'm always eager to read them. Thanks for passing your wisdom down to us youngins.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Outback Limited, 06 Outback 2.5i, 2.5rs rally car
      03-08-2019 12:22 PM #38
      This thread is very relevant to my interests, one of my best friends has a Spartan Royal Mansion that he picked up two years ago that he's going to redo... which I strangely don't have any photos of.

Vehicles
      '05 Jetta Wagon TDI, '07 Golf City (Sold to Dad), '16 Golf Sportwagon (Wife's)
      03-08-2019 01:23 PM #39
      These are always fun yet make me question both my abilities and standards.

Also, having used a CPAP for the last few months I just switched to a dental appliance last night. I have likely the highest severity of sleep apnea you can think of and it seemed to work without being adjusted to the full required setting yet. It's definitely better than a mask and hose on your face all night. Apparently my doctor here in Windsor is the original developer of this product so if you ever consider it you're not too far being just over the border.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      03-08-2019 02:15 PM #40
      I have 400 hours in polishing mine. The Alclad skin was meant to be polished, but 70 years of corrosion has to be removed to even get to the pure aluminum applied over the aluminum alloy. He's going to wait until it gets to its resting place to be polished the labor rate is far less down there. If I never polish another one it will be too soon.
      This kind of reminds me of the old polished american airlines livery. As environmental consciousness became more widespread their representatives would often say that the polished aluminum fuselage was something that was more environmentally friendly, in reality, the opposite was true. It took way more chemicals, man hours, and polish to make bare aluminum work that it did just to paint it.

03-08-2019 02:21 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      This kind of reminds me of the old polished american airlines livery. As environmental consciousness became more widespread their representatives would often say that the polished aluminum fuselage was something that was more environmentally friendly, in reality, the opposite was true. It took way more chemicals, man hours, and polish to make bare aluminum work that it did just to paint it.
      They are a bitch to maintain. I'd say that the buffing compounds added far more pollution than a 20-year life paint job. All these buffing pads got washed and all that grit got washed down the drain. My finish has held up well, but it's parked indoors.

18. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-08-2019 04:11 PM #42
      In for this.
      Instagram - efrie004

03-08-2019 05:33 PM #43
      It's been a pleasure working with Tom. He may not always be pleased with me as I'm a harsh taskmaster. He's told his friends that I'm a great teacher because I prefer to let people learn by doing, but I'm also quick to take the tool away and finish things myself. I also thank him for letting me be as anal as I want to be. He's all for doing things right after some sever disappointments. It's great to test the old skill sets. Many of the tools I'm using were purchased in 1993 after everything was stolen from the house I was building. New tools are lighter and stronger, but there's something about the heft of the old stuff. Cordless tools have made some major advancements. I use the best of both worlds.

This is the worst part of the trailer. It's relatively unblemished elsewhere. I have some nice rub rail I saved from my trailer to replace it with and I should be able to massage the curved piece behind it back into shape. It's pure aluminum and pretty malleable. This is clearly mouse damage. When the old fiberboard underbelly pan rotted away that left a haven for vermin. What happened here is that mice built a nest on the inside of the aluminum and keep building a nest and peeing in it, covering it with fresh salvaged materials that acts like an acidic sponge and eats through the aluminum from the backside.

It was time to take the door apart so that the skin can be used as a template. Assembled, the curve matches the trailer's sides so it wouldn't make an accurate template. Interestingly, the sides of the trailer are curved like a period airplane. The walls are 3" thicken the middle and 2" thick top and bottom. Something to do with cavitation as the wind rushes by the sides.

Each rivet had to be drilled out. It's nearly impossible to hit each aluminum rivet dead center each time, so washers will be used on the backside with the door stamping used as a drilling template. It takes a delicate touch to pop a rivet without going off-center.

The door stamping was filled with dusty, smelly fiberglass, but was in pretty good shape. Doors are easily damaged in a wind storm from being flung open, and from break-ins.

As a teaser, we're about 9 weeks into a 2 week project.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      03-08-2019 06:18 PM #44
      Whoa, another Barry thread. In.

Are you a patient man, Barry? I'd have probably lost my **** at that hack you were dealing with.

03-08-2019 06:26 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Whoa, another Barry thread. In.

Are you a patient man, Barry? I'd have probably lost my **** at that hack you were dealing with.
      I managed to keep my cool. I was starting to simmer, though. I really couldn’t say anything to him as I wasn’t paying him. I wasn’t shy with Tom about my dismay.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-08-2019 07:07 PM #46
      Welcome back Barry, you were missed.

Vehicles
      A domestic and an import, but not beer.
      03-08-2019 08:02 PM #47
      So glad to see you posting again, Barry, I've missed seeing your projects come to life through your build threads.

Maybe I missed things when my reading sped up to see what the current status is, but will the frame be addressed at any point, or is that going too far down the rabbit hole?
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV
      03-08-2019 09:55 PM #48
      Welcome back Barry, thank you for your contributions.

And great news your health is coming around!

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      03-08-2019 10:15 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      Is this what you meant to do?

03-09-2019 09:17 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post

Maybe I missed things when my reading sped up to see what the current status is, but will the frame be addressed at any point, or is that going too far down the rabbit hole?
      There is a plan afoot to replace a critical tie plate that was removed during tongue replacement but beyond that the foam made the structure so rigid that I don't see a way to correct the twist. The real critical factor is yet to be determined. The measurement from each axle to the tongue center must be accurate or the trailer won't track. I'm formulating a method to make that measurement. It that's right it'll likely be towable, but I'd still prefer a professional do it. Having survived an underwear-streaking trailer accident I'm a little gun-shy of hitting the road with a toad.

For those that don't know about my crash it turned out to be a mechanical failure exacerbated by my inexperience. I had newly installed a badly-machined weight-equalizing hitch. I did the math and determined the tongue weight by positioning the '55 Porsche over the 3 8000# axles. I adjusted the air suspension to give me the mathematically determined tongue weight with an accurate tongue weight scale and tied everything down. Things were going well until we needed to exit left off of one freeway to another. It was a downhill sweeper and we picked up speed and the trailer started bobbing. As I entered the freeway from the left into speeding traffic the road crowned and the equalizer bars slackened and one fell out of its socket, leaving one in tension. That skewed the dynamics of the trailer and threw the book of physics at me with full force. The trailer wagged the F-450 like it was a toy. I looked out my side window and saw my trailer without using the side mirror. I had just learned that the way out of that situation was to apply the trailer's massive hydraulic brakes with 1,600 psi of pressure. I tried that on the third wag and nothing happened fast enough. I had to release the controller and grab the steering wheel. I tried the brakes again and had instant brakes dragging the pair headed straight at a 60-foot deep ravine. I whipped the truck and crashed into the guard rail at an angle the kept me on the road. As the trailer came around it smashed into the guard rail and scraped to a stop. When the trailer hit the guard rail the '55 Porsche Cabrio ripped loose and smashed up against the inside of the trailer flattening he side and folding the front suspension under the car after hitting the wheel well.

I inspected the damage quickly and went out into traffic to retrieve the torsion arm as people were swerving around it. I went back and looked at the stinger bent over and up 10°. It had wrinkles, like bent tubing, but it was solid. The State Police put out flares and helped me change the stinger and blocked traffic while I turned around on the Authorize Vehicle Only turnaround in sight of the crash and drove home. It handled like a dream with a regular hitch.

The accident was my fault. Had I backed the Porsche in the engine/trans mass of the car would have been forward of the axles, not behind them. I created a big pendulum that made me lose control.

Last edited by barry2952; 03-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast