Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VW timing chain class action lawsuit

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-14-2019 02:53 PM #51
      Just received a call from the Timing Chain Settlement group (1-855-206-9873). They confirmed my name and obtained consent to record the call. It was just a courtesy call to let me know that they are still researching my "inquiry" from 3/11 and that I would receive another call on or before 3/19.
      2009 GTI 2.0TSI CBFA 6spd, APR2, APR Downpipe, BSH RACE, NGK-PFR7Q plugs, VAGCOM,

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-14-2019 03:28 PM #52
      Interesting. I suspect I should get a call soon as I called on the 11th as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A4, 1995 Miata. RIP: 1996 Miata, 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, 1998 LGTL, 1995 JGC
      03-14-2019 04:47 PM #53
      Just got off the phone with a rep. He told me to resubmit the claim with a personal letter stating the name and address that you got the repair work done at. He also confirmed to me that the settlement will honor work done at an independent shop. My idea is this: I'll send in that letter via mail within a week to at least have that base covered. I will also include a business card and blown-up letterhead of the shop's name and contact info, just so they can't miss it. If they want to give me a hard time, fine. I'll do battle if we cross that bridge. But until then, the rep reassured me that they will honor work done at an independent dealer.

Let's see where this one goes...
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      03-14-2019 07:05 PM #54
      I completely understand them wanting documentation.
      Whenever something like this comes up, some unscrupulous people have documentation fabricated so they can get a check from the settlement.
      But it is a balance.
      You don't go so demanding as to hurt the people that you're supposed to be helping.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 03-14-2019 at 08:15 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      03-14-2019 07:27 PM #55
      Not sure where that 5,000 mile oil change interval came from because VW itself recommends 10,000 mile intervals for the Tiguan.

But with the documentation I submitted you can see we aren't stupid and do 5,000 mile oil change intervals....because turbo and cooking oil.

Also, our work was performed in July of 2017 at the independent shop so there should be no issues with date.

Quote Originally Posted by vath View Post
      This is how they will sink most of our claims:

https://www.timingchainlitigation.com/Home/Faq#faq7

In order to be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses, you must provide documentation sufficient for the Claim Administrator to process the Claim. This includes originals or legible copies of repair invoices, receipts, business cards, letterheads, credit card receipts, copies of checks, and/or other records, showing the following::

• The Settlement Class Member's name, and the make, model year, and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the Settlement Class Vehicle (this will frequently be on the repair invoice);
      • Name and address of authorized Volkswagen/Audi dealer or servicing center that performed the repair (this will frequently be on the repair invoice);
      • Date of repair, description of repair work performed, mileage at repair, and part(s) replaced (this will frequently be on the repair invoice);
      • Proof of ownership or lease of the vehicle;
      • That the repair or replacement was due to the failure of the timing chain tensioner and/or timing chain within the time/mileage parameters of the Settlement;
      • The cost (parts and labor) of repair/replacement and proof of payment of same or such other proof sufficient to establish the repair and payment (this can be a copy of the check, credit card statement, or if paid in cash, a stamped “paid” invoice); and/or
      • Documents evidencing the Settlement Class Member's good-faith adherence to the relevant aspects of the vehicle maintenance schedule during the time he/she owned the Settlement Class Vehicle, in particular, scheduled oil changes, up to the date/mileage of repair/replacement, within a variance of 10% of the scheduled time/maintenance requirements (e.g. if oil changes are required for your vehicle every 5,000 miles, you must have had the oil change no later than 500 miles past the recommended oil change requirement). However, in the event maintenance records cannot be obtained despite a good-faith effort to obtain them, the Settlement Class Member may submit a sworn declaration detailing what efforts were made to obtain the records, why the records are not available, and attesting to adherence to the vehicle maintenance schedule and, in particular, scheduled oil changes, up to the date/mileage of replacement/repair, within the variance set forth above.

7. 03-14-2019 07:38 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
      Just got off the phone with a rep. He told me to resubmit the claim with a personal letter stating the name and address that you got the repair work done at. He also confirmed to me that the settlement will honor work done at an independent shop. My idea is this: I'll send in that letter via mail within a week to at least have that base covered. I will also include a business card and blown-up letterhead of the shop's name and contact info, just so they can't miss it. If they want to give me a hard time, fine. I'll do battle if we cross that bridge. But until then, the rep reassured me that they will honor work done at an independent dealer.

Let's see where this one goes...
      So you are resubmitting everything? Mine only asked for the card or letterhead of the Audi dealer (mine was done at an Indy shop). I believe we had to summit the r/o for the tensioner replacement, oil changes and proof of ownership. Are you sending all that in again?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A4, 1995 Miata. RIP: 1996 Miata, 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, 1998 LGTL, 1995 JGC
      03-15-2019 07:37 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by elscotto80 View Post
      So you are resubmitting everything? Mine only asked for the card or letterhead of the Audi dealer (mine was done at an Indy shop). I believe we had to summit the r/o for the tensioner replacement, oil changes and proof of ownership. Are you sending all that in again?

I have all of this saved and scanned on the computer, anyway. It does me no harm to print it off and send it again. I'd prefer to not give these guys any excuses to deny the claim: there's no risk on my part resubmitting it.

I'll be working on the personal letter to accompany the forms I mail in today, and hopefully send it off early next week.
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-15-2019 08:57 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
      Not sure where that 5,000 mile oil change interval came from because VW itself recommends 10,000 mile intervals for the Tiguan.
      The 5000 mile is only an example... I think GTIs are 10,000mi if synthetic and 3,000 if traditional.
      2009 GTI 2.0TSI CBFA 6spd, APR2, APR Downpipe, BSH RACE, NGK-PFR7Q plugs, VAGCOM,

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2019 10:22 AM #59
      A 10,000 mile OCI on a turbocharged, direct-injected engine is way, way too long in my opinion.
      Many of us are familiar with issues that occur with injectors getting stuck, HPFP seals leaking, and cooling systems not working properly.
      It is harsh on the engine oil, plain and simple.

Back on topic, as long as you have some kind of proof that you keep the oil change intervals below 10k miles, you should be fine.
      There is a written statement that you can fill out to attest that you maintain the car properly, by the way.
      It is somewhere on the timing chain litigation site.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-15-2019 10:33 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
      A 10,000 mile OCI on a turbocharged, direct-injected engine is way, way too long in my opinion.
      Many of us are familiar with issues that occur with injectors getting stuck, HPFP seals leaking, and cooling systems not working properly.
      It is harsh on the engine oil, plain and simple.

Back on topic, as long as you have some kind of proof that you keep the oil change intervals below 10k miles, you should be fine.
      There is a written statement that you can fill out to attest that you maintain the car properly, by the way.
      It is somewhere on the timing chain litigation site.
      Fully agree on the best oil/filter change interval... i've always done ~5k or 6 months.

Vehicle Maintenance Declaration is what needs to be filled out for the claim.
      https://timingchainlitigation.com/Co...eclaration.pdf

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan S, 2013 GLI, 08 TT S-Line
      03-15-2019 03:40 PM #61
      So I mailed and emailed the same documentation from before (receipt, proof of payment) as well as a picture of my indie shop's FB page and got the following reply today (I redacted the rep's name)

Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that we have received your Supporting Documents. All claims are in process and we will contact you if we need more information.

Regards,

Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement

Claim Administrator

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby
      03-15-2019 05:05 PM #62

But with the documentation I submitted you can see we aren't stupid and do 5,000 mile oil change intervals....because turbo and cooking oil.
      Key word in the oil change statement is "if". EG is "for example" translated.

I'm with you. 5k intervals on the Golf & Passat.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      03-15-2019 07:36 PM #63
      So, I think this was in response to the email I sent which was Friday evening, (I called on Wednesday) and it seems like I shouldn't have to submit anything else because the letter I received only mentioned one ineligibility condition. I may as a sorority sister who is an attorney if I should write to the Plaintiff's attorney or if I can feel safe that this is all they want.

Last edited by migrainedinpgh; 03-15-2019 at 07:43 PM.

15. 03-15-2019 09:47 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by migrainedinpgh View Post
      So, I think this was in response to the email I sent which was Friday evening, (I called on Wednesday) and it seems like I shouldn't have to submit anything else because the letter I received only mentioned one ineligibility condition. I may as a sorority sister who is an attorney if I should write to the Plaintiff's attorney or if I can feel safe that this is all they want.

I didn't get an email that reads like yours, but I did call today and they told me to disregard the letter (about getting it repair at an Audi dealer and send in the letterhead/card) and that no further action is needed. They will be sending me another letter and email confirming the conversation so I have it documented.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-15-2019 10:17 PM #65
      this is starting to look a little better... time will tell.

Vehicles
      FoRS
      03-15-2019 10:50 PM #66
      I sent them an email pointing to documentation that I sent the first time and now they're asking to resubmit everything again.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-16-2019 11:52 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      I sent them an email pointing to documentation that I sent the first time and now they're asking to resubmit everything again.

what do you mean by "pointing"? did you attached everything to the email or just state that you sent items: x, y, and z? what are the details of your situation? just timing chain repair? entire engine replacement? VW/Audi shop or independent?

I got my "Notice of Incomplete Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement Claim Form" referencing missing "Authorized VW/Audi dealer" information and my claim is for Timing Chain + tensioner parts and labor for ~$1500 at an independent repair shop.

Vehicles
      FoRS
      03-16-2019 12:18 PM #68
      what do you mean by "pointing"? did you attached everything to the email or just state that you sent items: x, y, and z? what are the details of your situation? just timing chain repair? entire engine replacement? VW/Audi shop or independent?

I got my "Notice of Incomplete Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement Claim Form" referencing missing "Authorized VW/Audi dealer" information and my claim is for Timing Chain + tensioner parts and labor for ~$1500 at an independent repair shop.
      I sent everything in a letter, they sent back a letter that I posted in the first post. I in turn sent an email explaining that the work was done at an indy shop and asking what info they were missing. They sent back an email that just says they need everything.

Work was done at an indy shop, tensioner, chain was replaced, engine was not.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-16-2019 12:20 PM #69
      Oh sorry... I didn't realize you were the original poster. Seems like we are all getting a variety of responses from them.

21. 03-16-2019 06:02 PM #70
      Oh sorry... I didn't realize you were the original poster. Seems like we are all getting a variety of responses from them.
      WHich is why I said you need to send your info and complaints to the class attorneys who are legally required to work for you now instead of getting a circle jerk by the "claims administrator".

Vehicles
      '09 GTI APR2 CBFA
      03-18-2019 11:04 AM #71
      Just received my 2nd follow-up call-back from the Claims Administrators at 10:50am eastern. This time the call came from Tampa FL (1-813-903-7100). Confirmed my name and requested consent to record the call. Seemed to just be another operator with a generic message of: Please disregard the notice of incomplete documentation regarding the Authorized Volkswagen/Audi dealer as you had the repair done at an independent facility and provided appropriate documentation. No further action is required regarding this deficiency. We apologize for any inconvenience.
      Then I asked about the time-line for reimbursement and she said: There is no payback time-line at this point, but we ask that you please be patient.

I also emailed the class counsel (James E Cecchi) this morning with the communications thus far and a few attachments and questions. We'll see if I hear back.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      03-19-2019 08:42 PM #72
      Today I received this email.

We are reaching out to you because our records indicate that a Notice of Incomplete Claim Form was recently sent to you and that it may have contained confusing or misleading instructions regarding supporting documentation related to an authorized Volkswagen or Audi dealership.

We wanted to clarify that if your vehicle was repaired at an independent service center and you have already provided documentation from the independent service center, you may disregard the deficiency language contained in the letter as it relates to requiring documentation from an authorized Volkswagen or Audi dealership. The Settlement does allow for repairs to have been conducted at an independent service provider, thus proof of repair at an authorized dealership is not a requirement.

Please note, however, if there are other deficiencies listed on the letter that you received, please carefully read and respond to those deficiencies by the deadline listed on the letter.

We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion.

Regards,

Tiffany J.

Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement

Claim Administrator
      It go down in the DM

24. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      03-20-2019 09:01 AM #73
      I called yesterday to follow-up from original call I placed 1 week ago; they never called me back as promised.

I was told to disregard letter I received since I had the work done at an independent shop.

Not sure how I feel about it now, I'm still going to send (via certified mail) all the same info I sent originally along with a letter.

I also asked about a timeline for the settlement to progress and was told there were several appeals filed recently and it was still in the courts. It could be years and the terms of the settlement could change before anyone actually sees money.

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      03-20-2019 12:38 PM #74
      I also asked about a timeline for the settlement to progress and was told there were several appeals filed recently and it was still in the courts. It could be years and the terms of the settlement could change before anyone actually sees money.
      Appeals?
      VW filed appeals for something they already agreed to?
      Who else can file appeals?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      03-20-2019 12:52 PM #75
      Good to hear that they seem to be honoring the original claims using an indy shop.
      The payout will probably take a long time, though

I re-sent all of my information regardless of what has been said here. It shouldn't hurt, and I'll just wait to hear back from the department.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast