Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAR Tiguan 2 MQB Adding Rear Fog Light

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-09-2019 01:59 PM #1
      I've completed the first steps of the project successfully. I'm just waiting on the tail lamp to arrive to finish up.

I have a 2018 SE built in 11/2017, after they stopped installing front fog lights on all S and SE models.

First check was to see if there was a front fog light trigger wire in my headlight switch harness (pin 5), and there was. That saved running the trigger wire from the switch to the BCM.

I then swapped out my stock NAR headlight switch to a euro one. The part I got off eBay DE is 5G0941431BD. It has stops for both front and rear fogs. To be clean, I should have gotten the one for rear fogs only (5G0941431BE - no front, rear fog stop only) but I got this one just in case I want to add front fogs at some point.

I followed the MK7 Golf (MQB) coding instructions for the BCM using VCDS:

Select: 09 - Cent. Elect
      Select: Security Access -16
      Enter the Access Code: 31347, then “Do it!”
      Select: Adaptation - 10
      Search: Außenlicht_uebergreifend-LDS_mit_Nebel_Schlusslicht
      Select: New Value "Yes", then click “Do it!” (This tells the BCM that a light switch with rear fog function is installed)
      Search:Leuchte28RFL LC11-Lichtfunktion A28
      Select: New Value "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein Anhaenger gesteckt", then click “Do it!” (This tells the BCM that the vehicle is to use a rear fog in that lamp position, formerly the reverse light)

The light on the dash came on (yay)

And here's how it looked at the rear (obviously not red - yet)

Everything has gone to plan so far. The last step is to install the inner-left tail lamp which has the rear fog light (lights red) instead of the reverse light (lights white). I got it off eBay DE and it should arrive in a week or so. The part number I bought is 5NA945093F.

Unknowns:

I may have to move a PIN on the lamp harness connector, depending on whether or not the new lamp uses the same A28 light position. Of course I'm hoping for plug and play - fingers crossed - though I could run into issues with the connector shape too.

I'm hoping the lamp color is the same as the others. VW has so many reds (red, dark red, cherry red) that it can be hard to tell until they're held up against the existing lamps.
      Last edited by type17volkswagen; 04-01-2019 at 07:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line
      03-09-2019 03:12 PM #2

Remember to zip tie it up, and hope you got a Dremel to fix the connector. If it doesn’t work out, you can always resell, it’ll still be like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Reihenmotor5; 03-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Vehicles
      '18 Tig SEL-P 4Mo R-Line, '16 Acadia SLE2 AWD
      03-09-2019 04:07 PM #3
      Nice!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      84 GTI, 91 GTI, 99 Passat, 2010 JSW TDI (retired via buyback); 2018 Tiguan SE4motion
      03-11-2019 12:42 AM #4
      Following!

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-11-2019 07:41 AM #5
      While I wait on the tail lamp to arrive, I started getting into the wiring and pin locations at the lamp.

EDITED to remove assumptions: The car-side connector has three wires going into the lamp, which are ground (#1 brown - customary) / standing/tail/running/parking (#2 blue-grey striped) / reverse (#4 green striped).

NAR car-side lamp harness:

What's interesting is the stock NAR lamp has four pins. From what I can tell from the pics of the euro one I bought, it has four pins (and wiring) too. Makes me wonder what they have going on (designed) in the lamp...

NAR lamp connector:

Last edited by type17volkswagen; 03-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Vehicles
      03-11-2019 09:36 AM #6
      On your euro switch, does it allow you to run fog lights with just the DRL LEDs on?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-11-2019 01:11 PM #7
      lazy design by VW using a reverse light position as the rear fog lights, as the PQ35 has separate rear fogs, as well as the MK7 Golf/GTI/Sportwagen that retain both reverse lights
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion | 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium (Sold)
      03-11-2019 01:18 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      lazy design by VW using a reverse light position as the rear fog lights, as the PQ35 has separate rear fogs, as well as the MK7 Golf/GTI/Sportwagen that retain both reverse lights
      That is because these are the base model tail lights on European models. In Europe these tail lights also have halogen amber turn signals below the brake light (where the white rectangle lens is - not functional on NAR vehicles)

The higher trim models in Europe get full led cherry red tail lights that have led amber turn signals and led reverse lights placed directly below the turn signals on the outside tail lamps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-11-2019 01:26 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by D3Audi View Post
      That is because these are the base model tail lights on European models. In Europe these tail lights also have halogen amber turn signals below the brake light (where the white rectangle lens is - not functional on NAR vehicles)

The higher trim models in Europe get full led cherry red tail lights that have led amber turn signals and led reverse lights placed directly below the turn signals on the outside tail lamps.

It's still lazy design to use a reverse light as a rear fog light, especially with the available wasted space on the MQB Tiguan inner housing, that they could have designed in a rear fog below the reverse light.

On the MK7, all trims have separate rear fogs, retaining both reverse lights, whether it's incandescent or LED tails
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

12. Member
      Vehicles
      03-11-2019 01:37 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      It's still lazy design to use a reverse light as a rear fog light, especially with the available wasted space on the MQB Tiguan inner housing, that they could have designed in a rear fog below the reverse light.

On the MK7, all trims have separate rear fogs, retaining both reverse lights, whether it's incandescent or LED tails
      I agree with you 100%. They easily could've put a rear fog light below the reverse light. but like I said - only base models have these tail lights on RoW models. So it probably wasn't worth it for VW to take the extra time to make it that way since most people ordering the car will select the full led tail light option anyway.

But in all seriousness, it's not that big of a deal imo. Most people won't even notice that there's a reverse light missing.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-11-2019 01:43 PM #11
      I agree with you 100%. They easily could've put a rear fog light below the reverse light. but like I said - only base models have these tail lights on RoW models. So it probably wasn't worth it for VW to take the extra time to make it that way since most people ordering the car will select the full led tail light option anyway.

But in all seriousness, it's not that big of a deal imo. Most people won't even notice that there's a reverse light missing.

Actually, you get a lot of random people commenting that one of your reverse lights is out, or something is wrong with your brake light. I've had that happen on my 08 Passat.
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-12-2019 09:18 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Savvv View Post
      On your euro switch, does it allow you to run fog lights with just the DRL LEDs on?
      I'm not sure. On the switch I got I can pull it out to the front fog light position when it's turned to the auto setting. So if it was not dark, then I'd assume yes, the LEDs would be DRL-bright and the fogs would be on. I don't have front fogs so I can't tell you for certain. There may be some logic that turns on the lights (and dims the DRLs) if fogs are switch on, even in auto. Of course when the switch is set to parking/standing or the on setting, the LED DRLs would be dimmed.

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-20-2019 06:09 PM #13
      Status update - I'm pretty sure DHL loaded the tail lamp onto a canoe. It's been 14 days since the tracking showed any movement. Urgh.

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-25-2019 06:13 PM #14
      Update - DHL's canoe landed! I got the tail lamp today. First issue I see is that the connector has the channel block on the bottom. You can see it on the top left of the connector - the plastic is built up at the bottom. The black connector is the euro.

Compare that to the NAR female tail lamp connector (different color - I'm colorblind so I'm not about to guess what color that is), you see the channel block is at the top.

As shown in many DIYs switching to a euro tail light over the years here on the Vortex, you can just carve/dremel out the block with no negative effects. I'm going to do that because 1) it'll be easier to test fit the lamp to see if it's plug and play without having to switch any wire pin positions and 2) I prefer to work from the euro (new) tail lamp side to make it easier to go back to stock. You'll see in the pic I could just shave off the block on the car-side male connector, but then it's harder to go back to stock.

I'll do that and then report back if it was plug and play (after shaving the block).

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line
      03-25-2019 06:27 PM #15
      Charge up that Dremel brah

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-26-2019 07:37 PM #16
      I'll start off with the celebration - HYFR! Shot after the install:

Shot while testing before installing:

Shot showing the lamp is a color match:

It's NOT plug and play. After shaving off the channel block, you will have to move some wires around. As I said, I like to work from the tail lamp side to make it quick to go back to stock. Working from the light-side you have to move 4 to 3 and then 3 to 4. Or, if you want to work from the car-side, you could just move 4 to 3. 3 is the rear fog light (lamp) and 4 (car) is the reverse light.

I'll clean this thread up and do a DIY in the next few days.
      Last edited by type17volkswagen; 03-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.

19. 03-28-2019 04:17 AM #17
      Looking forward to the final posts! I’m looking to do this with my tig too!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 09:58 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by type17volkswagen View Post

I have a 2018 SE built in 11/2017, after they stopped installing front fog lights on all S and SE models.

First check was to see if there was a front fog light trigger wire in my headlight switch harness (pin5), and there was. That saved running the trigger wire from the switch to the BCM.
      I wonder if the procedure will be the same for cars that came from the factory with fog lights. Or if that trigger wire you're using is the one that's usually for the front fog lights? Hmmm.

21. 03-28-2019 10:02 AM #19
      I wonder if the procedure will be the same for cars that came from the factory with fog lights. Or if that trigger wire you're using is the one that's usually for the front fog lights? Hmmm.

I think the same wire controls both, I know my 19 SE that came without fogs already has all the wiring from the switch to the BCM

Vehicles
      03-28-2019 10:40 AM #20
      So at this point, you’ll just have a reverse light on the passenger side only?

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-28-2019 11:49 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by impulsek2 View Post
      I think the same wire controls both, I know my 19 SE that came without fogs already has all the wiring from the switch to the BCM
      Yes you are correct. The front fog light trigger wire serves as the trigger for both front and rear. Yes, sounds weird but it does - there are threads on the Vortex discussing it.

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack;18 Tiguan
      03-28-2019 11:50 AM #22
      So at this point, you’ll just have a reverse light on the passenger side only?
      Correct.

Vehicles
      03-28-2019 12:05 PM #23
      What the hell are the outer white lenses used for? It’d be nice to put the reverse lights in that location.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 04:04 PM #24
      Thanks @type17volkswagen for being the guinea pig and doing this write up. Just ordered the tail light and euro switch so I'll be doing this once the parts arrive in a few weeks. It sucks how we have to give up a reverse light but I think the benefit of having a rear fog light makes up for it.

There are a lot of cheap inner tail lights on ebay.de but unfortunately most don't ship to the US. So had to go with one of the more expensive ones. All in my bill was like 172$ for the inner tail light and euro switch. Not bad considering how much it costs on other VWs to retrofit rear fogs!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 04:09 PM #25
      What the hell are the outer white lenses used for? It’d be nice to put the reverse lights in that location.
      That's where the euro amber turn signals would be. They're blank on NAR tiguans. Retrofitting amber turn signals probably wouldn't be that hard either, since the euro tail lights don't have side markers - the turn signals on RoW tiggys probably use the same pin that the NAR tiguan uses for the rear sidemarker lights in the outer tail lights. So hopefully it's as simple as coding the side marker pin to function as a turn signal after installing the RoW outer tail lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast