VWVortex.com - Is this how a partial electric seat works?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is this how a partial electric seat works?

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI 4-door
      03-12-2019 01:41 AM #1
      I'm experiencing horrible hamstring pain after driving my new-to-me 2013 Golf TDI 4-door slicktop. It has the partial electric seats.

The problem is, the front of the seat is far too high, causing me to "sit" on my hamstrings. I'm tall and moderately wide at 6' and 260 lbs, so I'd prefer to have the seat much lower than it is, but the front of the seat doesn't go up/down with the back. It's as if the seat is hinged at the front. When I lower the seat it results in a rather ridiculous tilt to the seat bottom that makes the problem 10x worse. I've taken to driving with my head as close to the headliner as possible as a result, which is pretty high with the slicktop, but this creates some visibility problems and doesn't completely solve the discomfort.

In fact, when comparing it to the passenger side, it appears the front of the seat is actually higher on the driver's side seat.

Is this the way these seats work, or is something binding or not moving properly? If so, is there a likely culprit or fix documented?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI 4-door
      03-13-2019 09:39 PM #2
      Paying closer attention recently, it may not actually be the angle of the seat. It might actually be the side bolsters on the bottom cushion that are doing me in. That would be unfortunate if it's the case because I don't think there's anything I gain do about that aside from attempting to lose weight and hoping I fit better or changing to a seat with a wider base cushion. If I put my knees closer together the pain diminishes significantly, but that's not a solution as I can't drive like that.

Is it safe to assume that other Mk6 Golf seats with heaters swap directly without complication? I like everything else about the car, but the leg pain is killing me.

4. 03-15-2019 05:29 PM #3
      I'm just a bit smaller than you (5'10", 240ish). I've got huge legs from cycling when I was younger. I've had pain problems due to sitting in my chair at work and my cars for the last couple years. It got so bad that I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to change jobs. I bought a Purple Portable chair cushion from Amazon for the GTI and it's really helped me. It is the perfect width and about 3" shorter than the seat insert.

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Portab...2Bcushion&th=1

Good luck,

Chris
      Last edited by ChrisAttebery1971; 03-15-2019 at 05:32 PM.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI 4-door
      03-16-2019 05:18 PM #4
      Seat cushion is a good idea. Much easier and a far sight less expensive than a seat swap, too. Thanks for that.