Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPR hose to air box?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      03-12-2019 10:46 AM #1
      Does anybody know what that fuel pressure regulator hose is for as it goes to the airbox which means thereís no vacuum there so Iím a little puzzled as to what its purpose is and how/when it comes into operation. Trying to diagnose a very rich running condition with lots of gray smoke and black sooty water out the exhaust. Car starts fine and then stumbles and smokes like crazy. I recently checked coldstart valve which is fine not leaking injectors are all brand new no vacuum leaks Iím suspecting high fuel pressure possibly clogged return line. I need to order a fuel pressure tester to determine that And thought possibly an issue with that fuel pressure regulator.
      Thanks as always for your thoughts. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by jimmyspirits; 03-13-2019 at 12:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      03-12-2019 10:54 AM #2
      Crap coming out exhaust

Last edited by jimmyspirits; 03-13-2019 at 12:45 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      03-13-2019 05:47 AM #3
      Jim,

I thought it was just to vent it. I just skimmed though the Bentley and couldn't find a purpose for it. When I saw it mentioned, it just says "to air filter".

The Interweb says it uses vacuum so it may use what little vacuum is available there.

If I have time later I will check some other reference material I have but haven't found a definitive answer online.

When you do get the pressure tester, you can see if system pressure is within specifications.

Are timing, idle speed (duty cycle) and CO (DPR current) all correct?

Did you check the air flow sensor basic setting and the control plunger basic setting? The CO should be almost perfect at the basic settings.

You are going to get sticker shock if you start looking for a new DPR. Prolly the same for a new Fuel Pressure Regulator. Other FPRs are a dime a dozen but ours are "special".

Did you check everything else already? Electrical checks, oxygen sensor checks, knock sensor tests, throttle switch tests, etc.. etc...?

-Old Eric

5. 03-13-2019 10:30 AM #4
      I asked that same question from a Mercedes engineer, the answer was because if it leaked it would be an emissions violation. Having it go into the intake tract would allow the fuel to get burned.

I'm not certain I believed him but that was the answer.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 12:45 PM #5
      HTML Code:
      https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7893/46444776345_61edebb43b_o_d.jpg
      Last edited by jimmyspirits; 03-13-2019 at 12:48 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 01:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      Jim,

I thought it was just to vent it. I just skimmed though the Bentley and couldn't find a purpose for it. When I saw it mentioned, it just says "to air filter".

The Interweb says it uses vacuum so it may use what little vacuum is available there.

If I have time later I will check some other reference material I have but haven't found a definitive answer online.

When you do get the pressure tester, you can see if system pressure is within specifications.

Are timing, idle speed (duty cycle) and CO (DPR current) all correct?

Did you check the air flow sensor basic setting and the control plunger basic setting? The CO should be almost perfect at the basic settings.

You are going to get sticker shock if you start looking for a new DPR. Prolly the same for a new Fuel Pressure Regulator. Other FPRs are a dime a dozen but ours are "special".

Did you check everything else already? Electrical checks, oxygen sensor checks, knock sensor tests, throttle switch tests, etc.. etc...?

-Old Eric
      Not sure what happened to my pictures that I posted but no longer here.

Hi Eric. I did a bunch of those tests a while back and all checked out. I haven't taken the electrical readings that the Bentley calls for with regards to the DPR. Haven't looked up a price on that yet and not sure I want to now. One thing that I've wondered for years now, when I cleaned up the plunger on the fuel distributer, which was gummed up, I don't recall there being a spring but in reading about it back then, it was something that was added in the mid 80s I believe. I was extremely careful when removing and don't recall there being one. Car has had this condition since I bought it 4 years ago but I haven't worked on it for years. I've never had it on the road since I've owned. Just curious if this could be a cause or contributor if the spring belongs and either I lost it or was missing.

Car also sat for at least 3 years prior to my purchase. Got all the old fuel out back in 2015 and used fresh gas with stabilizer. New injectors installed too. All ignition components replaced except coil which tests good. O2 sensor tests good but not a factor at start up anyways. I'll first check the after start and cold running enrichment as per Bentley with regards to the DPR Electrical measurements. Then wait for pressure tester to arrive and see exactly where I'm at. Maybe crap in the return line from sitting raising system pressure idk. Thanks for your help O E.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 01:57 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I asked that same question from a Mercedes engineer, the answer was because if it leaked it would be an emissions violation. Having it go into the intake tract would allow the fuel to get burned.

I'm not certain I believed him but that was the answer.
      Haha. Hey Mark. Thanks for that. Actually is about the best answer that I've heard and makes some sense. In my Bosch FI and Engine Management book, it shows that as being a "vent to the atmosphere" but with the directional arrow pointing in so
      I'm not sure what that means.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 04:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by jimmyspirits View Post
      Haha. Hey Mark. Thanks for that. Actually is about the best answer that I've heard and makes some sense. In my Bosch FI and Engine Management book, it shows that as being a "vent to the atmosphere" but with the directional arrow pointing in so
      I'm not sure what that means.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 05:03 PM #9
      Not sure what happened to my pictures that I posted but no longer here.

One thing that I've wondered for years now, when I cleaned up the plunger on the fuel distributer, which was gummed up, I don't recall there being a spring but in reading about it back then, it was something that was added in the mid 80s I believe. I was extremely careful when removing and don't recall there being one.

Thanks for your help O E.
      You're welcome. I see the pictures in posts #1, #2 and #8. That's probably the same book I was going to look in.

I don't think there is a spring with the plunger. Fuel pressure pushes it down. There is a nut on the CIS-E fuel distributer that keeps the plunger from just falling out. I think the cast iron CIS fuel distributer has a spring on the plunger.

I rebuilt the original fuel distributor on my '88 and had to use vice grips to get the plunger out. I don't remember any spring either. It was OK to grip with the vise grips because the section I grabbed was below the area that goes into the fuel distributer.

My problem was the fuel system needed to be purged of air. Prior to me purging air out of the lines, I had to screw the mixture screw way in to get it to run at all. My original fuel distributor would probably work fine but I stopped messing with it when I got it running right.

Since you cleaned the plunger, did you set the basic plunger setting?

You can probably find a reasonably-priced used fuel distributor on eBay that you could rebuild if you have any doubts about yours.

Do an eBay search for 0438101005 and you will see used and rebuilt ones and the rebuild kits. Don't get a black fuel distributor. Those are the cast iron for CIS. You want an aluminum one and make sure it's a 0438101005 or VW part # 026133481X

Many of the fuel distributors have DPRs on them. If you have rebuilt a carburetor, you can rebuild the fuel distributor. The more expensive rebuild kits have more gaskets in them.
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 03-13-2019 at 05:08 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 05:32 PM #10
      You're welcome. I see the pictures in posts #1, #2 and #8. That's probably the same book I was going to look in.

I don't think there is a spring with the plunger. Fuel pressure pushes it down. There is a nut on the CIS-E fuel distributer that keeps the plunger from just falling out. I think the cast iron CIS fuel distributer has a spring on the plunger.

I rebuilt the original fuel distributor on my '88 and had to use vice grips to get the plunger out. I don't remember any spring either. It was OK to grip with the vise grips because the section I grabbed was below the area that goes into the fuel distributer.

My problem was the fuel system needed to be purged of air. Prior to me purging air out of the lines, I had to screw the mixture screw way in to get it to run at all. My original fuel distributor would probably work fine but I stopped messing with it when I got it running right.

Since you cleaned the plunger, did you set the basic plunger setting?

You can probably find a reasonably-priced used fuel distributor on eBay that you could rebuild if you have any doubts about yours.

Do an eBay search for 0438101005 and you will see used and rebuilt ones and the rebuild kits. Don't get a black fuel distributor. Those are the cast iron for CIS. You want an aluminum one and make sure it's a 0438101005 or VW part # 026133481X

Many of the fuel distributors have DPRs on them. If you have rebuilt a carburetor, you can rebuild the fuel distributor. The more expensive rebuild kits have more gaskets in them.
      As always thanks Eric. Well that's a relief regarding the spring but in the BB, BENTLEY BIBLE, I just read that it was added in 1983 to help with start up and emissions so IDK. I knew I was extremely careful while removing and cleaning. I did set plunger and metering plate etc.. At the time. I actually tested and set all that was to be done as per the BOOK. That all happened when I was so excited and motivated to delve into my new Scirocco but then it stopped running and I got discouraged and shelved it for 3 years. Got motivated one day a few months ago and figured out the no start issue and then felt it worth while going to town on it. About 3k$$ later and here I am. I suspect another $3k or more is coming but I don't care. Just love the car and enjoy tinkering and especially learning. Love learning about mechanical things. Been a shade tree mechanic for about 40 years but unless you do it every day like butcher there, it's just not second nature and referencing needs to be done. I'm capable just need to investigate first.

I will check out those distributors and kits. Once I do all the pressure tests and DPR measurements I'll know exactly what will need replacing/repairing etc... I already know and have the rebuild kit for the whole fuel pump area with hoses and such and the reservoir too. So rusted and deteriorated back there. Chicago area car no wonder. Jim. Oh and BTW, Iíve rebuilt quite a few carbs. Still have a carbureted car.
      Last edited by jimmyspirits; 03-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.

12. 03-13-2019 06:11 PM #11
      The way you guys are describing these things, I'm thinking it's to provide a responsiveness to Atmospheric PSI from the Intake/Non-Metered Air side of the Fuel System.

in other words, Sea Level is one thing, driving the Alpine Fjords another altogether...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 06:14 PM #12
      As always thanks Eric. Well that's a relief regarding the spring but in the BB, BENTLEY BIBLE, I just read that it was added in 1983 to help with start up and emissions so IDK. I knew I was extremely careful while removing and cleaning. I did set plunger and metering plate etc.. At the time. I actually tested and set all that was to be done as per the BOOK. That all happened when I was so excited and motivated to delve into my new Scirocco but then it stopped running and I got discouraged and shelved it for 3 years. Got motivated one day a few months ago and figures out the no start issue and the felt it worth while going to town on it. About 3k$$ later and here I am. I suspect another $3k or more is coming but I don't care. Just love the car and enjoy tinkering and especially learning. Love learning about mechanical things. Been a shade tree mechanic for about 40 years but unless you do it every day like butcher there, it's just not second nature and referencing needs to be done. I'm capable just need to investigate first.

I will check out those distributors and kits. Once I do all the pressure tests and DPR measurements I'll know exactly what will need replacing/repairing etc... I already know and have the rebuild kit for the whole fuel pump area with hoses and such and the reservoir too. So rusted and deteriorated back there. Chicago area car no wonder. Jim
      If you adjusted them back then they should still be good.

Which Bentley Bible? The 85~92 Bentley manual for the Cabriolet and Scirocco or the blue book?

Could you point me in the right direction?

Figure 6-10 on page 5-35 of the Cabriolet and Scirocco manual doesn't show a spring on the plunger.

I bought the kits and the alignment tools from this store:

https://www.ebay.com/str/Cis-Jetroni...p2047675.l2563

You search the store for the kits based on your fuel distributer part number (0438101005)

They didn't have the alignment tools yet when I rebuilt my fuel distributer and some of the springs escaped before I could grab them (the directions say to put everything back in the original positions including springs). They used to have a link to the instructions in each auction but I didn't see a link today.

The only thing wrong with the kits are that not everything is included. The mesh filter inside and none of the springs are included but if those are good, all of the gaskets, the washers and the diaphragm are included.

OE

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 06:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
      The way you guys are describing these things, I'm thinking it's to provide a responsiveness to Atmospheric PSI from the Intake/Non-Metered Air side of the Fuel System.

in other words, Sea Level is one thing, driving the Alpine Fjords another altogether...
      My '88 always sucked at high altitudes. I tried a dohicky that Audis had for altitude compensation but it didn't help. It plugged into the "spare" connector in the rain tray which I now think is a test connector.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 07:33 PM #14
      If you adjusted them back then they should still be good.

Which Bentley Bible? The 85~92 Bentley manual for the Cabriolet and Scirocco or the blue book?

Could you point me in the right direction?

Figure 6-10 on page 5-35 of the Cabriolet and Scirocco manual doesn't show a spring on the plunger.

I bought the kits and the alignment tools from this store:

https://www.ebay.com/str/Cis-Jetroni...p2047675.l2563

You search the store for the kits based on your fuel distributer part number (0438101005)

They didn't have the alignment tools yet when I rebuilt my fuel distributer and some of the springs escaped before I could grab them (the directions say to put everything back in the original positions including springs). They used to have a link to the instructions in each auction but I didn't see a link today.

The only thing wrong with the kits are that not everything is included. The mesh filter inside and none of the springs are included but if those are good, all of the gaskets, the washers and the diaphragm are included.

OE
      Hey Eric. Cab and Rocco 85-93 bible. Actually not in there and youíre right, they donít show a spring. Maybe for CIS cars only not on ours. Was in the other Bosch book.

Chapter 5 page 9

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 07:43 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post

Thanks for your input TB. I was reading something on some Dodge or Chevy truck forum that did discuss something about what you mention.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 08:09 PM #16
      Hey Eric. Cab and Rocco 85-93 bible. Actually not in there and youíre right, they donít show a spring. Maybe for CIS cars only not on ours. Was in the other Bosch book.

Chapter 5 page 9

Yeah, I found it a few minutes ago in the description under figure 2-9 on page 9 of "Continuous Injection - Theory" in the blue book. The paragraph before refers to K-Basic and K-Lambda and the previous page was mostly about K-Basic. They mix them up with some info on K-Basic or K-Lambda but a sentence about how it's different with KE.

The blue book is also where I read about that altitude compensator. It's mentioned on page 33 of "Continuous Injection - Theory" in paragraph 6.6 Altitude.

OE
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 03-13-2019 at 08:11 PM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 08:21 PM #17
      All good stuff. Well Iím happy thereís no spring that I am missing

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 03:38 AM #18
      I bought a bunch of Bosch training booklets years ago when I was trying to figure out how everything works. (The yellow Bosch booklets sold by Bentley publishers.) Spoiler alert, they don't tell you even as much as the Bentley manual for a VW. The VW dealer training manuals are better if you can find them but I digress...

I looked in my Bosch booklet on KE-Jetronic and it said in one paragraph that some fuel distributors have a spring over the plunger. Every diagram of the fuel distributer showed that spring.

The same booklet also shows the auxiliary air regulator being used with KE. That's one thig I hated on CIS-Basic. I would have eliminated it in favor of a choke cable if I had been able to.

It shows a diagram of the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The diagram shows the vent but the Bosch booklet doesn't even mention the vent in the description and there is no arrow or number pointing at it in the diagram.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 10:20 AM #19
      I bought a bunch of Bosch training booklets years ago when I was trying to figure out how everything works. (The yellow Bosch booklets sold by Bentley publishers.) Spoiler alert, they don't tell you even as much as the Bentley manual for a VW. The VW dealer training manuals are better if you can find them but I digress...

I looked in my Bosch booklet on KE-Jetronic and it said in one paragraph that some fuel distributors have a spring over the plunger. Every diagram of the fuel distributer showed that spring.

The same booklet also shows the auxiliary air regulator being used with KE. That's one thig I hated on CIS-Basic. I would have eliminated it in favor of a choke cable if I had been able to.

It shows a diagram of the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The diagram shows the vent but the Bosch booklet doesn't even mention the vent in the description and there is no arrow or number pointing at it in the diagram.

I wonder why there's an inconsistency with regards to the plunger spring. I did a quick search for a factory training book but nothing. Would love to pick one up.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 08:37 PM #20
      I wonder why there's an inconsistency with regards to the plunger spring. I did a quick search for a factory training book but nothing. Would love to pick one up.
      I don't remember a spring in mine and you don't remember a spring in yours but you could buy a used one and rebuild it. They aren't like the cast iron version where the plunger could fall out. The CIS-E version has a stop screw that prevents the plunger from falling out so there isn't much chance a spring would just fall out by itself. The shape of the plunger is also a clue. If it has no spring lands (flat machined areas for a spring to "land") it probably didn't have a spring.

Here's a German language training brochure for an example of what to look for. From what I understand, the Self Study Program (SSP) is for dealer technicians:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ssp-62-Self...QAAOSwd7BZnFVB

Here's one that Bentley Publishers sells under the Scirocco category:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/vol...stems-ssp.html

Here are some online resources, but most are in German:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index1_eng.php

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index2_eng.php

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index3_eng.php

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index4_eng.php

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 11:16 PM #21
      These guys have technical articles but they are text only. The good news is that they say right at the beginning if they are K only or KE only:

http://www.cisflowtech.com/technical-articles/page/2/

Home:

http://www.cisflowtech.com/

Mo info:

http://www.scirocco.org/tech/16v/cis...e_idle_p1.html

Home

http://www.scirocco.org/tech/

I tried to find some pictures of the Bosh pamphlets but couldn't find any.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2019 10:26 AM #22
      Thank you again Eric for all that I have to say you are extremely thorough and a great resource yourself. Some of those sites Iím familiar with and butcher recently sent me those German sites. I kinda wish that eBay book was an English and not German. Iím guessing they were printed in English and finding one might be difficult. Have you recently been doing any work on your car?

I did a couple of those DPR electrical tests yesterday and I think theyíre OK. Disconnected the connector and ran it in series with that 1315 tool, came up with about 86 mA ( 80-100 )and then actuated the starter and came up with about 156 mA. (120+). Then youíre supposed to let it sit it said for 30 to 60 seconds and itís supposed to come back to the initial cold reading which mine didnít do for about five minutes and it was very slow to come down it didnít just drop down. Wonder if that could point to a return line issue or is only function of the DPR to handle upper and lower chamber pressures, maybe it goes back to the fuel pressure regulator and then from there the return line to relieve pressure?? I donít know. Also checked my engine timing. All marked lined up and also broke out my timing light which I havenít seen in years to measure ignition timing as I know I messed with that years ago and I couldnít even find it in the strobe so I finally got that sorted out and put it at approximately 6 BTDC. Very hard to see the pointer in that fly wheel opening everything is obstructed. Car didnít run any better getting the ignition timing lined up and it smokes so much oh my God and I also pulled the dipstick and it definitely smells like fuel and is fuller than it should be. Obstructed return line or fuel pressure regulator????
      Last edited by jimmyspirits; 03-15-2019 at 10:38 AM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2019 07:50 PM #23
      Thank you again Eric for all that I have to say you are extremely thorough and a great resource yourself. Some of those sites Iím familiar with and butcher recently sent me those German sites. I kinda wish that eBay book was an English and not German. Iím guessing they were printed in English and finding one might be difficult. Have you recently been doing any work on your car?

I did a couple of those DPR electrical tests yesterday and I think theyíre OK. Disconnected the connector and ran it in series with that 1315 tool, came up with about 86 mA ( 80-100 )and then actuated the starter and came up with about 156 mA. (120+). Then youíre supposed to let it sit it said for 30 to 60 seconds and itís supposed to come back to the initial cold reading which mine didnít do for about five minutes and it was very slow to come down it didnít just drop down. Wonder if that could point to a return line issue or is only function of the DPR to handle upper and lower chamber pressures, maybe it goes back to the fuel pressure regulator and then from there the return line to relieve pressure?? I donít know. Also checked my engine timing. All marked lined up and also broke out my timing light which I havenít seen in years to measure ignition timing as I know I messed with that years ago and I couldnít even find it in the strobe so I finally got that sorted out and put it at approximately 6 BTDC. Very hard to see the pointer in that fly wheel opening everything is obstructed. Car didnít run any better getting the ignition timing lined up and it smokes so much oh my God and I also pulled the dipstick and it definitely smells like fuel and is fuller than it should be. Obstructed return line or fuel pressure regulator????
      The Bentley doesn't really say what to check if it doesn't come right down but I'd think it was control unit (since it controls the DPR). Did you do all of the controller's electrical tests?

I don't think the control units fail much in real life though. Do you have a Scirocco 16V control unit? (No telling what a previous owner might have done.)

Did you disconnect the coolant temperature sensor first?

I wouldn't theorize about pressures before you get a pressure gauge. My "CIS" pressure kit didn't work so I hope you ordered a better one.

What is the running current?
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 03-16-2019 at 07:52 PM.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2019 08:07 PM #24
      Also checked my engine timing. All marked lined up and also broke out my timing light which I havenít seen in years to measure ignition timing as I know I messed with that years ago and I couldnít even find it in the strobe so I finally got that sorted out and put it at approximately 6 BTDC. Very hard to see the pointer in that fly wheel opening everything is obstructed.
      Almost forgot this. Do you have a timing light with adjustable advance?

I set my timing light at 6 BTC and point at the front pulley. There is a timing mark for TDC on the pulley and an arrow on the lower belt cover. They line up at 6 BTC (if your timing light is adjustable).

You can use white paint to make the marks easier to see. I also have checked the cam pulley timing that way. (It also lines right up at 6 BTC.)

I can barely see the mark on the flywheel clutch cover either. From what I understand, the notch in the clutch cover is supposed to be read mechanically by a probe at the dealer.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 08:06 AM #25
      The Bentley doesn't really say what to check if it doesn't come right down but I'd think it was control unit (since it controls the DPR). Did you do all of the controller's electrical tests?

I don't think the control units fail much in real life though. Do you have a Scirocco 16V control unit? (No telling what a previous owner might have done.)

Did you disconnect the coolant temperature sensor first?

I wouldn't theorize about pressures before you get a pressure gauge. My "CIS" pressure kit didn't work so I hope you ordered a better one.

What is the running current?
      Morning Eric. I did all those control unit electrical tests years ago. The ones listed on 5-45 if that's what you're referring to. One was out of spec somewhat which was air flow sensor plate at rest. Got 1361 supposed to be less than 1000. And actually a couple of others as I look at it now we're off. Rpm signal from knock sensor control unit, I didn't get a flicker but don't remember if this was when car wasn't starting as it is running now and don't believe it would run with this test failure. And I also didn't get continuity for the ground connection to intake manifold...manual transmission only it says. Not sure about this one. Voltage signal for AC I did not see but didn't concern me at the time. Thing about this page and these tests are, that where's the direction to go if the particular test fails. Leads you nowhere. I did disconnect coolant temp sensor like it said to do.

Regarding pressures and tester, not sure what else could cause the excessive black smoke and fouling plugs and fuel in oil. Clearly a super rich condition. I ordered the tester off eBay so it's a crap shoot. I didn't do the running DPR tests. Not sure I saw those listed. Let me know if I missed those. With fuel pump running I did see and was waiting for pressure tester to complete those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast