Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FPR hose to air box?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      03-17-2019 08:13 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      Almost forgot this. Do you have a timing light with adjustable advance?

I set my timing light at 6 BTC and point at the front pulley. There is a timing mark for TDC on the pulley and an arrow on the lower belt cover. They line up at 6 BTC (if your timing light is adjustable).

You can use white paint to make the marks easier to see. I also have checked the cam pulley timing that way. (It also lines right up at 6 BTC.)

I can barely see the mark on the flywheel clutch cover either. From what I understand, the notch in the clutch cover is supposed to be read mechanically by a probe at the dealer.
      Ha!! Makes sense regarding the dealer reading in that access hole because it's real difficult for me. Adjustable advance???not familiar and sure mine doesn't. That would make life very easy. All my marks were spot on TDC as I thought maybe the belt jumped but all good there. My light is like 40 years old, not sure if that was available then. Was gonna paint the marks for better visibility but haven't yet. Thanks for your help OE. Jim
      Last edited by jimmyspirits; 03-17-2019 at 08:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-17-2019 11:45 AM #27
      You could try turning off the engine and setting up to 6 degrees [or where you want]. Then mark the front where the pulleys are. You really only need to make 2 marks. One on the pulley and one on the cover. Put the two paint marks where you can see them. Once the engine is running, then you turn the distributor till the marks line up.

Only you know what those two marks are for, but isn't that all that matters?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      03-17-2019 12:57 PM #28
      Here's an old school one which I have but the cable keeps falling out:

Harbor Freight sells an advance timing light. It also uses a knob and also has a easily removable (fall-out-able) cord:

https://www.harborfreight.com/timing...nce-40963.html

This is the one I use now. Not only is it digital but the cord isn't going to just fall out in the middle of trying to time your car:

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-prof...p-00914066000P

Summit Racing has a bunch also:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...gn=Tools+-+FSP

5. Member
      Vehicles
      (2) 2005 Acura TLs. 1987 Corvette, 1987 16v Scirocco 1978 Lancia Beta Sedan, 1999 Chevy Tahoe
      03-17-2019 01:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      You could try turning off the engine and setting up to 6 degrees [or where you want]. Then mark the front where the pulleys are. You really only need to make 2 marks. One on the pulley and one on the cover. Put the two paint marks where you can see them. Once the engine is running, then you turn the distributor till the marks line up.

Only you know what those two marks are for, but isn't that all that matters?
      Hey Mark. Great idea. Think I'll do that. I think I'm pretty much there from when I attempted the other day as I saw the mark in the general area of the flywheel hole while bouncing. Sadly that's not my issue though. Hopefully my pressure tests will reveal the problem. Thanks. Jim

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 01:05 PM #30
      That's nice Eric, thanks. Mine is also a craftsman. Didn't think you could buy from Sears anymore with the closing and all. I like Marks idea. Wish this was my issue.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 02:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by jimmyspirits View Post
      That's nice Eric, thanks. Mine is also a craftsman. Didn't think you could buy from Sears anymore with the closing and all. I like Marks idea. Wish this was my issue.
      Mark's method is also good.

That's basically how timing marks used to be set up on cars. That or a pointer with calibrated marks.

My Buick has its timing mark on the flywheel also. It has a little door over it that looks exactly like a key tag. You swing that out of the way. I guess the flywheel can be put on wrong then you can't time it using the timing mark.

There are no Sears in Utah any more so I guess they are just online for most of us.

I get texts every day from Sears about sales.

I bought a Diehard battery at our last Sear's going out of business sale. I wish I had bought two.

Sears is in trouble now because they sold Craftsman to another tool company (it's on the tip of my tongue) but are still allowed to use the name - for now. I guess Sears was saying something like they had the "true" Craftsman tools after they sold them off.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 02:59 PM #32
      Yeah it’s too bad about them. Mine just closed. I have a ton of craftsman tools. I liked their warranties with free replacements but even that went down hill. Would replace with refurbished ones that were as bad as What i was exchanging. Used to be with new!! They did have good batteries. Pricey but good. Didn’t Lowe’s pick up brand?
      You working on your scirocco today. . Wish I had fellow enthusiasts local to help and be helped. Seem to be scattered around the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 03:54 PM #33
      Yeah it’s too bad about them. Mine just closed. I have a ton of craftsman tools. I liked their warranties with free replacements but even that went down hill. Would replace with refurbished ones that were as bad as What i was exchanging. Used to be with new!! They did have good batteries. Pricey but good. Didn’t Lowe’s pick up brand?
      You working on your scirocco today. . Wish I had fellow enthusiasts local to help and be helped. Seem to be scattered around the country.

Lowe's sells Craftsman because they sell the brand of tools the bought Craftsman. It just came to me as I was writing this sentence. I think Stanley bought Craftsman.

I was surprised when the BX (military exchange) started selling Craftsman and that's probably been 20 years. I bought a set of Craftsman cordless drills at the BX.

I was shocked when I was browsing at a typical run down K-Mart and saw Craftsman tools. That was before I learned that some investor bought both and decided to merge them.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 04:09 PM #34
      My Craftsman socket set and metric wrenches walked away right before my Sears closed.

I thought about buying a new set but the metric socket sets they had in stock were 1/4" drive. I think "my" Sears also had 3/8" drive metric sockets but not in a set. They had a set of metric wrenches but every hand tool was made in China.

They did have a set with SAE and Metric sockets but I like separate sets.

I am pretty sure my Craftsman tools were all American made. They returned recently but I hid them better so they don't wander off again.

I found a socket set like mine on eBay that was made in the USA but it was missing a socket and they wanted more than I was willing to pay.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 04:16 PM #35
      Lol...."walked away"?? Borrowed by a son/daughter? Neighbor? I hate losing a tool. Worked with guys who on occasion would walk off with a tool of mine 😡

12. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 04:49 PM #36
      Lol...."walked away"?? Borrowed by a son/daughter? Neighbor? I hate losing a tool. Worked with guys who on occasion would walk off with a tool of mine 😡
      Something like that only more nefarious.

I can't prove anything but I knew where they were. The next time I needed them they weren't where I put them. Looked in every place I "could" have put them. Not anywhere. Looked places they could have been moved if somebody was cleaning up. Looked in the Scirocco. Looked in the trunks of every other car I have here. No dice. Not any place. Even checked inside because I sometimes use VCDS and leave my VW running with the garage door open. I have moved the tools inside if I am not right there every second. Not in my default inside hiding place either.

Every time I went in the garage, I checked everywhere again (because I suspected foul play). Fast forward about 6 months. I look in a box in the garage and all of my missing tools are right there. Not a place I would have put them even if I was hiding them. Can't rule it out definitively though because I have been known to hide stuff in a "safe" place and not look there. However, that box had been searched at least a dozen times after the tools disappeared.
      Last edited by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN; 03-17-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: "put" not "pot"

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 05:47 PM #37
      Wow Eric!!! Is it possible that you have some paranormal activity going on in your house/neighborhood? Unless you know for certainty that it is of this dimension these occurrences are happening?? Just saying

Ummmmm. Shouldn’t we be working on cars or something

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 10:24 PM #38
      Wow Eric!!! Is it possible that you have some paranormal activity going on in your house/neighborhood? Unless you know for certainty that it is of this dimension these occurrences are happening?? Just saying

Ummmmm. Shouldn’t we be working on cars or something

This entity was of our realm.

I did touch my Scirocco's hood today.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2019 10:32 PM #39

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12