Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Mini Bikes

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-13-2019 04:39 PM #1
      My son wants a mini bike since he saw Frieburger from roadkill do a episode on them. He called me last night since he knew I would be excited it was not a video game. The ex-wife is onboard.

I have looked up the Taco mini bikes, and they will be about $700 all in from what I see on the website.

Coleman has a small on for $350 which seems good, and I can always replace a motor.

I looked up Craigslist, but the prices do not inspire me. Also classic mini bikes do not appeal to me either. Also no projects. I want assembly, and done.

So has anyone played with either the Coleman or Taco versions? Is there another version.
      Wearing a disguise, and pretending to be someone else?

That goes against all my instincts as a actor...

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-13-2019 05:15 PM #2
      You don't want the small Coleman with the 79cc motor, the engine is not powerful enough to scoot a large kid or adult around. You want one of the 196cc Coleman bikes. The CT200u is the older, no suspension model. The CT200u-EX has a simple front suspension. The BT200x is the newest model with a thicker frame and front suspension. I have two of the CT200u bikes, and they are great. They go about 24MPH out of the box. I have modified mine quite a bit and have put torque converters on them, they go 42MPH now.

Walmart.com has been changing their online price of the BT200x back and forth from 499 to 599 over the last couple of days. If you see an online price of 499, I would pull the trigger.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-13-2019 05:20 PM #3
      The 79cc model. He is 9, and I don't speak Spanish to hide from the mom in Mexico.

Plus I should be able to up the HP as he gets older with a HF motor if need be.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-13-2019 05:30 PM #4
      I've got a 9 year d Roadkill fan as well.
      Went through this a year ago.
      Consensus was to get a Newer dirt bike style Honda 50 or the like.
      Around here they are about $750 used, a step up in price.

Ended up with option paralysis and didn't get anything for him.

6. 03-13-2019 05:38 PM #5
      Typically, people try to put the 212cc predator motor from harbor freight on the little 79cc coleman bike, but they always seem disappointed afterward. The brakes are subpar for the power upgrade. If you upgrade the motor, you will also need to upgrade the chain size from 35 to 420 chain which will require an all new clutch and sprockets as well. Also, that bike is really, really small, besides being difficult to control at speed, he will outgrow it before you know it.

Also, let's be honest with each other, we both know you want to ride it too, and you won't be able to enjoy the smaller CT100 bike either in stock or modified form.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-13-2019 06:58 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DoubleReflex View Post
      Also, let's be honest with each other, we both know you want to ride it too, and you won't be able to enjoy the smaller CT100 bike either in stock or modified form.
      Let's be honest. I have a Cushman project with a 8hp Kohler engine, and a spare V-twin 13hp in my garage. All plan to haul it home this weekend to start to paint. Then actually start assembly process.

How long do you think the small 79cc motor will last a 9 year old.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-13-2019 07:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      I've got a 9 year d Roadkill fan as well.
      Went through this a year ago.
      Around here they are about $750 used, a step up in price.

Ended up with option paralysis and didn't get anything for him.
      I looked up the Honda 50, and it is not something I am interested in. Since I am not a dirt bike fan, but I can let him play with a mini bike around town easy enough. Where the dirt bike would be a drive from my place.

9. 03-13-2019 07:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post

How long do you think the small 79cc motor will last a 9 year old.
      I would presume that the motor will still be running well when he has outgrown it. With proper care, those motors last forever. How long will it take for him to outgrow it, I don't know. FWIW my kids started on the 196cc bike at 9 and 11.

It kinda sounds like you have your mind already made up, good luck with your purchase.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-13-2019 08:00 PM #9
      I would presume that the motor will still be running well when he has outgrown it. With proper care, those motors last forever. How long will it take for him to outgrow it, I don't know. FWIW my kids started on the 196cc bike at 9 and 11.

It kinda sounds like you have your mind already made up, good luck with your purchase.
      I had thought of getting myself a Taco mini bike to bomb around the Pomona swap on Saturday afternoon. It just never got past fantasy thoughts. I had the Cushman I picked up for a case of beer at this time. He got the better deal.

This is the first he expressed interest in the idea. Or anything besides video games of his own volition. So I am wanting to be quick to try this with him.

So I have not made up my mind, but I don't want to get himself hurt because I went big vs going home.

11. 03-13-2019 08:16 PM #10
      If you buy a Coleman bike, no matter the size, they all come with a throttle limiting screw. Out of the box, they all go about 14Mph. Once your son gets used to it's operation, you can loosen the screw, or remove it completely, then the bikes will go faster. The bigger bike tops out at about 20-24Mph, I believe the small bike is similar, but is heavily effected by rider weight. Sorry I can't help you with other makes, I can only speak of the bikes I own.

Also, so that you have all the info you can get about that throttle limiting screw, some owners of newly made bikes have reported that the throttle screw is tack welded in the slow position. You can remove the tack weld to loosen the screw, or just bend it out of the way, and then it will go faster.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-13-2019 08:41 PM #11
      Where did you get your bikes?

Where I live I have to order one to a store so there is little chance of looking at one first. I may even wait till Pomona where there usually are a few to look at.

13. 03-13-2019 09:32 PM #12
      First one I bought from walmart.com with free delivery to my home. I was able to see it at the store, but I waited until Black Friday and got a deal delivered. The second one I bought used from an online marketplace and rebuilt it to like new condition.

You may consider doing a google image search for "coleman ct100u" and "coleman ct200u" to see how big each bike is. I saw a couple of pictures that show height and weight of people sitting and standing on each size of bike. Just an idea since you don't have physical access to them.

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      03-14-2019 11:27 AM #13
      OP? Never.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Focus RS, bikes, & Dailies
      03-14-2019 11:44 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      I actually came to suggest a crf50. They're absolutely bulletproof, and almost everyone can have a good time on one. I think you might have to be more cautious if you're riding it around a neighborhood, but my experience is that kids get bored of a mini bike in a hurry and it sits in the garage.
      IG @whereiswaldo7

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-14-2019 04:08 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by whereiswaldo7 View Post
      I actually came to suggest a crf50. They're absolutely bulletproof, and almost everyone can have a good time on one. I think you might have to be more cautious if you're riding it around a neighborhood, but my experience is that kids get bored of a mini bike in a hurry and it sits in the garage.
      The dirt bike is for me a drive to go anywhere to use it. I live right by Pasadena CA. Also I am not the biggest off-road person, and I have tried to get into it. I can't ride motorcycles with my son since I broke my right elbow twice for sure, and I suspect a third time too. Which removes the family fun from it

The mini bike I can bomb around Pomona Swap meet on myself, and have fun. Plus they hold there value pretty well, and there cheap enough to not care.

https://gokartsusa.com
      There having March madness to coincide with the 5th. I am think a 8 or 10 inch wheel frame, and use a motor I have lying around to start.

I should of added he mentioned mini bike more importantly. If he changes his mind I am listening, but right now I only know what he said.
      Last edited by Spatzle; 03-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Vehicles
      Various Stages of Crap
      03-15-2019 08:10 AM #16

Problem solved! It is not too big not too small and is street legal!

But 4,000 dollars.

Back when you were allowed to use mini bikes at the carisle swap meets I can always remember the people running around on them and how noisy they were compared to other little 50 mini bikes. Then too many people were using them and running people over so they banned them all around.
      Quote Originally Posted by 04_GLI_ View Post
      Yeah still drove it home bout 60 miles. Didn't know it was a broken timming belt, drove fine just made a lil noise.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-15-2019 09:53 AM #17
      That's cute. The $4000 dollar part kills it big time.

We can ride them at Pomona on Saturday, but not Sunday.

03-15-2019 10:52 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      I looked up the Honda 50, and it is not something I am interested in. Since I am not a dirt bike fan, but I can let him play with a mini bike around town easy enough. Where the dirt bike would be a drive from my place.
      In your particular case, the style of motor-driven cycle/ moped/ motorized scooter doesn't really make much difference in the eyes of the law. It would appear that both a Honda CRF50 and a Coleman CT100U are illegal for a 9 year old to ride around town because he's incapable of holding a valid driver's license or permit.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/scooters
      https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...es/motorcycles

Is your plan to just let your kid ride illegally and hope that you/he won't face repercussions because children have typically gotten away with riding minibikes around town in your area in the past?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-15-2019 11:39 AM #19
      That's Captain Obvious territory.

Fact is any sanctioned off road parks are a 2-3 hour drive before traffic. That I am aware of. Besides Azusa Canyon which is not the best from I was told for this situation. So unless he really wants it. I am not doing it.

As for the mini bike. We have large parking lots around that he can mess around on before the cops come. Then it's just get lost. This is before Pomona where he can tear it up in the back 40 on the Saturday before the swap meet for a bit. Plus one of my Aunt's houses has a large yard when we go visit.