VWVortex.com - 2 months out, should I stay or should I go?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2 months out, should I stay or should I go?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI-S, '17 Trek Super Commuter+ 8S, 17 Lexus RX450h
      03-13-2019 06:35 PM #1
      Got my 2016 GTI-S 'Unicorn' of sorts via special order in 2016 and the 3 year lease ends in June.
      I have 18k miles
      I love the car, but I hear a 'slight' rattle when depressing the clutch and while moving.
      Hard to determine if it is a suspension or mechanical issue.
      Very, very slight.
      Car is pristine.
      I'm considering the buy out of $17,9k, BUT do I trust the dealer to screw with my most recent discovery of noises or?
      Do I give it up?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      03-13-2019 06:43 PM #2
      How much money did you invest into the car so far? Lease payment plus down payment? Might be worth it just walk away from the car and look into the 2019...

Vehicles
      2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
      03-13-2019 06:46 PM #3
      If you go there will be trouble and if you stay it will be double.
      ED Moose ECU tune / ED DSG Stage 2 tune / Tomioka IHX475 Turbo / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe / Autotech HPFP / Precision Raceworks 450 LPFP

5. 03-13-2019 07:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
      If you go there will be trouble and if you stay it will be double.
      +1 lol

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2019 07:13 PM #5
      2-door
      DO NOT WANT AN UGLY 4 door
      Want the car I have
      Invested maybe 1k
      My concerns are the scumbags dealers who screw over the consumer, who don't care if they scratch it, ding it, screw it up.
      Review any/all previous posts over the years
      Dealers suck
      My point/question is:
      Do I trust them or let them "explore" the problem and potentially screw things up
      Don't you watch Judge Judy?

Vehicles
      Mk3 Jetta VR
      03-13-2019 07:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by joeblonewjersey View Post
      2-door
      Want the car I have
      Invested maybe 1k
      My concerns are the scumbags dealers who screw over the consumer, who don't care if they scratch it, ding it, screw it up.
      Dealers suck
      My point/question is:
      Do I trust them or let them "explore" the problem and potentially screw things up
      I think you're overthinking it. If you love the car, stick with it and find out what the problem is, and get it fixed. If you're not happy with it, get out of it, it's only a lease. I'd probably go with something newer if I were you but that's just me. The 4 doors were ugly to me but I fell in love once I actually got one lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 2dr 6mt PP LP GTI, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off Road
      03-13-2019 09:48 PM #7
      Keep it and fix the problem. I agree, the 4drs are fugly, that's why I'm keeping my 2dr until it dies.

9. 03-13-2019 09:57 PM #8
      Do you wanna pay 3k for a new motor or full repair of most components or 3k for car payments for one year? After buying a brand new car I realized I can fix it myself and that the $300 monthly car payment could be well spent on replacement parts in case it breaks down. Replace that part and basically new and you know what it has been thru. Get a used car and you’ve no idea what it’s been thru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M coupé, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
      03-14-2019 08:53 PM #9
      This is a question only you can answer, and you seem to answer quite clearly - you want the car, so keep it.

All that noise about the dealer screwing you over is, as someone else said, overthinking it. You're obviously happy with the car - keep it.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé
      '17 Kawasaki Versys 650

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI S DSG.
      03-15-2019 09:51 AM #10
      2-door
      Want the car I have
      Invested maybe 1k
      Dealers suck
      My point/question is:
      Find a shop that specializes in German cars and have them look it over. If they find something like a rod knock, the DSG is failing, the unibody is coming apart and the whole thing is rusted to hell, give it back.

Otherwise, you'll have to put up with all the newfangled electronic crap on the newer cars: lane departure warnings, imminent collision warnings, FOUR STINKING DOORS, stop start stuff. . .

You know what you have, and if the specialty shop gives it the nod, you shouldn't have any surprises. Two door hatches are increasingly rare, don't throw yours away unless you have to.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Golf
      03-15-2019 10:51 AM #11
      Asking the internet for financial advice. What could possibly go wrong?
      --------------------
      John

I'd stop drinking beer, but I'm no quitter.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI SE DIB DSG LP PP
      03-15-2019 10:30 PM #12
      2-door
      Want the car I have
      Invested maybe 1k
      Dealers suck
      My point/question is:
      Not sure why you need our thoughts. You seem to have it all figured out
      2018 GTI SE| DIB DSG LP PP | Llumar Pro PPF hood, bumper, fender and mirrors | Invisible Shield headlights, rear bumper guard and door cups | CTX 35% tint on 9 windows | Red Hound Auto splash guards | Weather Tech digital fit mats | Weather Tech deflectors |3M door edge, wheels well and hatch lip guards | OEM door sill protection | Coverking Triguard cover | 034 Motorsports dog bone insert | Aully Park leather steering wheel cover |

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2019 10:52 PM #13
      For alternate opinions, points of view, etc.
      Most dealers suck.
      Kids that jump job to job, a few long timers, if you get one who knows the product, you're golden.
      I can write a book on car dealers, service, and without creating a war, I've had almost 80 cars, trucks and motorcycles in my life, and was personal friends with 2 owners of car dealerships over the years, and know them inside out. There are some great places, but as stated, any job has it's problem finding qualified and competent workers. Just look at the quality of American crap. It might be a tad better than many moons ago, but we got our ass kicked with top shel Japanese and German cars that blew away the garbage made here. AND the worker give a damn, most.
      So, the problem has ALWAYS been, how do you find the perfect, acceptable, qualified and conscientious person? Whether it be your car, lawn, appliance, e-bike, roof, teeth or anything, there are a lot of scumbags in the world and if you don't 'qualify' them, consistently require the utmost of all things they provide, then you are to blame.
      I may be a bit off topic, but I'm just fearful of having to experience disappointment.
      If you read a previous post from a few years ago, you may see where I referenced the dealer spilling gas from the fuel access/pump under the back seat on the foam padding and my car lost the new car smell and smelled like a junkyard wreck. Big deal the VW gave me $500 for the "inconvenience", it's not the money, it's the jerk-offs who don't know what they do.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI SE DIB DSG LP PP
      03-15-2019 11:02 PM #14
      You are in tinfoil hat territory now.
      2018 GTI SE| DIB DSG LP PP | Llumar Pro PPF hood, bumper, fender and mirrors | Invisible Shield headlights, rear bumper guard and door cups | CTX 35% tint on 9 windows | Red Hound Auto splash guards | Weather Tech digital fit mats | Weather Tech deflectors |3M door edge, wheels well and hatch lip guards | OEM door sill protection | Coverking Triguard cover | 034 Motorsports dog bone insert | Aully Park leather steering wheel cover |

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      03-16-2019 12:21 AM #15
      For alternate opinions, points of view, etc.
      Most dealers suck.
      Kids that jump job to job, a few long timers, if you get one who knows the product, you're golden.
      I can write a book on car dealers, service, and without creating a war, I've had almost 80 cars, trucks and motorcycles in my life, and was personal friends with 2 owners of car dealerships over the years, and know them inside out. There are some great places, but as stated, any job has it's problem finding qualified and competent workers. Just look at the quality of American crap. It might be a tad better than many moons ago, but we got our ass kicked with top shel Japanese and German cars that blew away the garbage made here. AND the worker give a damn, most.
      So, the problem has ALWAYS been, how do you find the perfect, acceptable, qualified and conscientious person? Whether it be your car, lawn, appliance, e-bike, roof, teeth or anything, there are a lot of scumbags in the world and if you don't 'qualify' them, consistently require the utmost of all things they provide, then you are to blame.
      I may be a bit off topic, but I'm just fearful of having to experience disappointment.
      If you read a previous post from a few years ago, you may see where I referenced the dealer spilling gas from the fuel access/pump under the back seat on the foam padding and my car lost the new car smell and smelled like a junkyard wreck. Big deal the VW gave me $500 for the "inconvenience", it's not the money, it's the jerk-offs who don't know what they do.
      Waaaah...I had almost 80 cars and I still doesn’t know how to work on it...

17. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2019 06:39 AM #16
      I could, but at 68 why should I? Where, on my back in the driveway?
      Wa, eh duh

Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      03-16-2019 09:20 AM #17
      You seem to like the car. Keep it. And once the lease is up, find a local independent VW shop to take the car to unless you have to take the car in for warranty work. We've only had one car that went to the dealer, and that was my husband's GLI that he bought new. Once it was out of bumper to bumper warranty, we did our own work/took it to our local shop who have worked on our cars for 10 years.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

19. 03-16-2019 09:45 AM #18
      I could, but at 68 why should I? Where, on my back in the driveway?
      Wa, eh duh
      I’ve rebuilt a head in my driveway lol and assembled everything together too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk