Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cammisa's Canyon-Killing Cabriolet- One Take

03-14-2019 04:27 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      I guess I'm in the minority in that he just rubs me the wrong way. He is very knowledgeable about cars, I just don't care for him. I appreciate Jonny more as an entertainer.
      Well that duo has been split up for a while, but regardless I must say I find Johnny to be nauseating.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-14-2019 05:02 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Well that duo has been split up for a while, but regardless I must say I find Johnny to be nauseating.
      Johnny seems like a fake car guy wasn't he the one that said he doesnt like a manual in the viper, they both were horrible top gear wannabes

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      03-14-2019 06:49 PM #28
      found one of his old xmas cards when we were in school together.

For privacy Im not going to elaborate too much, but I hadn't seen Jason in a number of years until last year, but when i did, he went way out of his way to make me feel welcome and invite me to things that he never had too. Hes a great guy and a class act. On a strictly journalistic point of view, I really enjoy his hark back to 1970's style nonsensical automotive journalism. Nothing is ever taken too seriously. This is perfect because no one reads car magazines today to see which CUV or camry like model to buy.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      03-14-2019 07:20 PM #29
      Seems like a good guy. I agree with a lot of his views.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat
      03-14-2019 08:43 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Hes a great guy and a class act. On a strictly journalistic point of view, I really enjoy his hark back to 1970's style nonsensical automotive journalism. Nothing is ever taken too seriously. This is perfect because no one reads car magazines today to see which CUV or camry like model to buy.
      Agreed mightily, also with the philosophies advocated in that video.

It's refreshing to hear people coming out of the woodwork to share happy stories about a person being unexpectedly nice.
      "Why is such a man alive?! No, tell me, how can he go on, disgracing the earth with himself?"

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      03-14-2019 09:54 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by monoaural View Post

Jason is doing his part to raise MK1 values. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not for me though.
      I hope he succeeds. I own 2 Sciroccos and it's not easy to negotiate an agreed value for them with the insurance companies. The Rabbit on the other hand has never been an issue.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 M3, 2000 528i, 1992 Toyota 4WD Pickup, 2002 Toyota Sequoia, 1991 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      03-14-2019 10:41 PM #32
      9a block.
      decked 1.8 16v head
      autotech cams
      cat delete header
      TT exhaust
      cup kit
      11" rotors and Dual piston calipers.

This video is giving me a SERIOUS case of nostalgia... should have never sold this car.

With the carb conversion the car no longer had a rev limiter, so hello 8000 rpm! Shift when the valves start to float It made 138whp on the 1.8l block, which is around 150 crank. Jason probably isnt far off with his 165hp crank estimate on the 2.0L block. These motors really make wonderful sounds and absolutely love to hang out near the rev limiter.

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2008 Hayabusa, 2014 RDX
      03-15-2019 07:19 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      I guess I'm in the minority in that he just rubs me the wrong way. He is very knowledgeable about cars, I just don't care for him. I appreciate Jonny more as an entertainer.
      Johnny L seems like he would be a big douchebag in real life. Like he is better than everyone else.
      Jason seems like a true enthusiast that would hang out until 3am in the parking lot of a Taco Hell just talking about cars.

Jethro annoys me, and I won't watch his crappy videos.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-15-2019 08:46 AM #34
      Nice video. That 16V sounds perfect.

Jason and Johnny were great together. Loved watching Jason give him a hard time. Their chemistry worked.

Johnny by himself is Ok, Jethro is meh. Randy is awesome

Vehicles
      Random Junk
      03-15-2019 09:55 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      9a block.
      decked 1.8 16v head
      autotech cams
      cat delete header
      TT exhaust
      cup kit
      11" rotors and Dual piston calipers.

This video is giving me a SERIOUS case of nostalgia... should have never sold this car.

With the carb conversion the car no longer had a rev limiter, so hello 8000 rpm! Shift when the valves start to float It made 138whp on the 1.8l block, which is around 150 crank. Jason probably isnt far off with his 165hp crank estimate on the 2.0L block. These motors really make wonderful sounds and absolutely love to hang out near the rev limiter.
      Beauty. I also regret losing my Cabrio 2L 16VT. Before going boost, i had it running on Megasquirt. It was running like a BEAST. I put down 190whp with some precise tuning, large cams and a few other bits. On boost (12psi) it put down 275whp. Sadly a fuel line blew on the hiway and sprayed the header- boom into flames, gone. Sign...
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      03-15-2019 10:53 AM #36
      Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco and '88 Cabriolet, both 2.0 16Vs.
      03-16-2019 01:19 AM #37
      It’s kinda hilarious seeing this- but yep, I’m a Vortexer. I think my profile says I joined in 2002. Wow - I’m getting old.

But thanks to all of you who said nice things about me - I’m shocked. And touched. 🙂

And yep the Cabby is more fun than the Scirocco, but that’s just because it’s more batsh~t. The Scirocco is a little more sorted, a little more serious. And still my favorite car, period.

And by the way the note Josh left on my E30 was “Your car is just plain sick!” I still have the note. 🙂

Okay - bedtime. I’m in the middle of the Coastal Range Rally (with the E30.) Cabby does the next rally!
      1987 VW Scirocco 16V (2.0 16V)
      1989 VW Cabriolet (2.0 16V)
      1978 VW Rabbit (Race Car)
      2016 VW e-Golf
      ...and other cars that don't have VW badges on them.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby
      03-16-2019 07:02 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by 2ManyCars View Post
      Itís kinda hilarious seeing this- but yep, Iím a Vortexer. I think my profile says I joined in 2002. Wow - Iím getting old.

But thanks to all of you who said nice things about me - Iím shocked. And touched. 🙂

And yep the Cabby is more fun than the Scirocco, but thatís just because itís more batsh~t. The Scirocco is a little more sorted, a little more serious. And still my favorite car, period.

And by the way the note Josh left on my E30 was ďYour car is just plain sick!Ē I still have the note. 🙂

Okay - bedtime. Iím in the middle of the Coastal Range Rally (with the E30.) Cabby does the next rally!
      You've given me some goals for my Cabby.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      03-16-2019 07:53 AM #39
      Itís kinda hilarious seeing this- but yep, Iím a Vortexer. I think my profile says I joined in 2002. Wow - Iím getting old.

But thanks to all of you who said nice things about me - Iím shocked. And touched. 🙂

And yep the Cabby is more fun than the Scirocco, but thatís just because itís more batsh~t. The Scirocco is a little more sorted, a little more serious. And still my favorite car, period.

And by the way the note Josh left on my E30 was ďYour car is just plain sick!Ē I still have the note. 🙂

Okay - bedtime. Iím in the middle of the Coastal Range Rally (with the E30.) Cabby does the next rally!
      Wow, you are on here!
      Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT

16. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Right foot on the clutch
      03-16-2019 09:36 AM #40
      Well I lied. I said Iíd ask Jason when I saw him. I didnít. At least we have an answer.

His E30 touring is amazing BTW.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

17. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      03-16-2019 09:46 AM #41

Thanks for popping in, love the Cabby. And I hate Cabbys, but a 16V or VR6 could change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Well I lied. I said Iíd ask Jason when I saw him. I didnít. At least we have an answer.

His E30 touring is amazing BTW.
      Drive safe out there, donít go past 11/10.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

18. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Right foot on the clutch
      03-16-2019 09:56 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post

Drive safe out there, donít go past 11/10.
      Thanks man. No over staking here. My dad is killing it though. Hasnít complained once about my pace, and at 71 it turns out he can still move a car around.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

19. Iím not a loser. Iím a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in Ďmurica truck and wagon
      03-16-2019 02:26 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Thanks man. No over staking here. My dad is killing it though. Hasnít complained once about my pace, and at 71 it turns out he can still move a car around.
      Sweet
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit TDI, 2018 Colorado 2.8l Duramax.
      03-16-2019 03:44 PM #44
      MK1

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      Yesterday 09:35 AM #45
      I like how Camissa gets it... I also was/am a VW nut and had a Mk2 GLi with a 9a 16v although not so built up as his, wish I didn't have to sell it, but in my heart I've grown out of the Jetta body style. Grew up around VW's and my uncle had a Mk1 Cabby in Puerto Rico and on a couple vacations I went over there he'd let me drive it and we'd go top down around the island. The only thing that Cabby was missing was a proper engine... the stock one was a bit too underpowered. Still it was an enjoyable car to drive cruise in.

Enjoyed the video... 16v's make such nice noises. And even though their head was labeled as a 'disaster' in engineering. They still were alot of fun and could make alot of power. And if you decide to venture down the dark hole of turbocharging... well Bobatuning has found +1200hp with them.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      Yesterday 10:00 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Johnny seems like a fake car guy wasn't he the one that said he doesnt like a manual in the viper, they both were horrible top gear wannabes
      IMO Top Gear has been a net negative to auto journalism and the community in general. Lieberman is in that camp of auto journos who seems to exist for the sole purpose of getting as much free **** from auto manufacturers as possible, without shame. Cammisa is annoying to watch but the fact that he 1. owns cars 2. can turn a wrench and 3. has personal track experience puts him about 50 notches above most auto journos. I could def feel and appreciate the passion and attn to detail he has for these builds, which is awesome.
      Last edited by CTK; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 11:09 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      IMO Top Gear has been a net negative to auto journalism and the community in general. Lieberman is in that camp of auto journos who seems to exist for the sole purpose of getting as much free **** from auto manufacturers as possible, without shame. Cammisa is annoying to watch but the fact that he 1. owns cars 2. can turn a wrench and 3. has personal track experience puts him about 50 notches above most auto journos. I could def feel and appreciate the passion and attn to detail he has for these builds, which is awesome.

Today 08:58 AM #48
      I restored my '84 GTi in the early 00's, and after dialing up the suspension stiffness until the car was no longer fun on the street, I ended up with the same 16v Scirocco suspension. Much better. When I sold the car, the buyer immediately put on a set of coilovers and asked if I wanted the old suspension back. Hell yes! The same springs and shocks are now on my '89 Cabby.

The best quote in the video was this: "Everyone looking at numbers is looking at all the wrong stuff."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12