VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tlx sh-awd

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      03-14-2019 11:17 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I have mixed feelings about these. They look great and it would be nice to have a big honest N/A V6 again. I have experienced the ZF9 in other cars and didn't feel anything strange. I'm sure SH-AWD is nice too. But outside of that the Accord 2.0T is just a better car in every way.
      I would have gotten a new Accord in a heartbeat if they had AWD. I know, I probably could have done winter or all season tires and been perfectly fine, but I actually do some winter driving on unpaved roads and leverage the AWD a bit.

I definitely recommend the used/CPO route for these. I don't know who would buy or lease an optioned-up one new over a G70 or Giulia either.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-14-2019 11:22 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      This boy Samson sure seems to like lightly used Japanese near-lux sedans.
      If only Acura, Infiniti and Lexus could just sell their sedans pre-used to dudes on internet forums....

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R, 2017 Miata RF
      03-14-2019 11:45 AM #28
      You may want to wait before pulling the trigger. The TLX is due for an all new model with a new interior and the TLX Type-S is coming.

03-14-2019 11:46 AM #29
      I have that same car in that color but with the beautiful espresso interior, its a CPO 2015 v6 with tech package. I bought it for my wife in 2017 because she loved it when we got one as a loaner once. We are long time Acura owners as this is our fifth one. She hated the styling of everything after 2008 but when she saw this one she had to have it since she was really wanting a new Acura.

Its not a grab your attention design (the brown color is though, its beautiful) but its a nice mix of understated sporty without doing too much, though not my first or second choice personally, I don't hate it. Its perfect for the Miss though.
      It has all the tech she needs and then some, it has great power at the perfect size for our family of four. The LED's headlights are awesome, and I personally really like the push button Trans, it just feels very modern and new.

Gripes,
      transmission - the shift kick going into 2nd wasn't a deal breaker (for my wife) but goodness really!? the light vibration at 70-75mph again not a deal breaker but really!? (we will have this looked at soon as they extended the trans warranty on these not to long ago).
      suspension - a bit annoying, it does this left/right shimmy-wobble effect thing when you go over pronounced bumps like train tracks etc. My 05' TSX is solid as it does NOT do this in any way shape or form so it really stands out to me.

Other than these few things up to this point the car has been flawless and the wife is still very happy with it and that is all that matters.

And no guys this is not a Honda Accord at all, I have one in the family of the same year as our TLX, aside from a few parts bin items here and there the materials are noticeably superior in Acuras. I would never purposely chose an Accord over an TLX no more than I would chose a Toyota Camery over an Lexus GS, not unless my pocket book dictates it. I mean who really does that....seriously?
      Last edited by RENOG; 03-14-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      03-14-2019 12:20 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      I
      suspension - a bit annoying, it does this left/right shimmy-wobble effect thing when you go over pronounced bumps like train tracks etc. My 05' TSX is solid as it does NOT do this in any way shape or form so it really stands out to me.
      DWB vs struts
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      03-14-2019 01:05 PM #31
      One other downside I should mention.. for the class it’s LOUD. And the audio doesn’t sound all that terrific either. I have thought about getting it dynamatted.

03-14-2019 01:06 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      DWB vs struts
      Wow is that what it is, I had no idea it was so pronounced. I can live with it of course but I don't like it at all.

9. 03-14-2019 01:07 PM #33
      If you're going to go with Japanese luxury in that price range and want something with all wheel drive check out the Lexus IS too.

03-14-2019 01:14 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      One other downside I should mention.. for the class it’s LOUD. And the audio doesn’t sound all that terrific either. I have thought about getting it dynamatted.
      Do you have the upgraded ELS sound system? The base system is absolutely horrid, however the upgraded system after some adjusting and tweaking within its settings sound much better.
      Although the clarity and sound range is much better with the ELS, My 05' TSX with nav kills it, everyone thinks I have an aftermarket installed.

03-14-2019 01:20 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post
      If you're going to go with Japanese luxury in that price range and want something with all wheel drive check out the Lexus IS too.
      Yeah if its small size isn't an issue. The only other cars my wife was looking at was Audi A6/A7, Lexus GS and Tesla Model S. At the time the Acura made the most since financially for long term ownership in addition to our history with them.

edit* Sorry for the double post I could have added this as quote.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      03-14-2019 01:25 PM #36
      Do you have the upgraded ELS sound system? The base system is absolutely horrid, however the upgraded system after some adjusting and tweaking within its settings sound much better.
      Although the clarity and sound range is much better with the ELS, My 05' TSX with nav kills it, everyone thinks I have an aftermarket installed.
      Yeah, Tech Package with ELS. It just does not wow me, especially on the highway. The goodyear tires might be kicking up significant road noise as well come to think of it, maybe putting on some conti's would help in addition to sound deadening. But I'm not sure I'm keeping it long term.

03-14-2019 01:30 PM #37
      It's ugly like all other Acuras lately.

03-14-2019 01:43 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      It's ugly like all other Acuras lately.
      I'm not going to argue this since looks are soooo subjective. Also truth be told if it weren't for my wife I would have passed on this Acura too, however I'm not at all offended by its looks as I was the gen before it. IMO most modern cars these days are ugly or super bland particularly in this segment. I know for a fact that my TSX (now at 198K) will be replaced with something electric and just about everyone of them that I can comfortably sit in (6 one) is ugly as sin. So hey, ugly is the new pretty.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      03-14-2019 01:53 PM #39
      Wow is that what it is, I had no idea it was so pronounced. I can live with it of course but I don't like it at all.
      I don't think that's what it is, well not directly.

My guess is that the head toss is due to the tuning of the sway bar stiffness relative to the main springs, ie, a super stiff swaybar with soft springs will ride nice on the highway until you hit a one wheel bump, then you encounter a really high effective spring rate. You can run less roll stiffness in a DWB car though since the tire loses less camber than a strut car as it rolls.

03-14-2019 02:55 PM #40
      I'm also looking in this size range, but also at CUV's to replace my wife's Elantra next year. Our girls are getting too tall to be crammed in the back of a compact. My wife likes the size of my S55 (feels like my 740 is too big) and thinks the rear seat leg room is just perfect.

I've been eyeballing these, as they are quite attractive, but I'm concerned about road noise with Honda/Acura. They just can't seem to get them to feel luxurious in regards to noise. Maybe the RLX is better?

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL (x2) | 1991 Toronado | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

03-14-2019 03:35 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I'm also looking in this size range, but also at CUV's to replace my wife's Elantra next year. Our girls are getting too tall to be crammed in the back of a compact. My wife likes the size of my S55 (feels like my 740 is too big) and thinks the rear seat leg room is just perfect.

I've been eyeballing these, as they are quite attractive, but I'm concerned about road noise with Honda/Acura. They just can't seem to get them to feel luxurious in regards to noise. Maybe the RLX is better?

Chris
      I'd say go and test drive it/them, maybe even with the girls if possible. I have two tall girls that take after me in the height department and they sit comfy in the TLX backseat, but really cramped in the TSX. The RLX has more room of course so there's that. Again my wife loved the TLX because of the sporty/premium mix of it and it pretty much has everything, women for the most part seem to really like Acuras . Although the RLX has a nicer interior my wife was totally turned off by it and always have been. That car always sat in a serious void, its like its was literally cursed when they decided to kill the legend and occupy that space with the RLX.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      03-14-2019 03:45 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Yeah, Tech Package with ELS. It just does not wow me, especially on the highway. The goodyear tires might be kicking up significant road noise as well come to think of it, maybe putting on some conti's would help in addition to sound deadening. But I'm not sure I'm keeping it long term.
      The thing about it is that most Acuras are not "wow" cars, and this is no exception. These got dinged on JD power initial quality, but between this, or anything else its class if you had it 8 years or 100k, and I am certain the Acura will cost the least. BMW still hasnt learned how to build a cooling system, Infiniti cant get interior quality control right, MB will have any sort of random multi thousand dollar failure, and lexus has had its share of DI engine issues.

I personally never noticed it being especially loud in my fathers TLX however Im in it maybe 3x a year.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      03-14-2019 03:47 PM #43
      I can’t think of many reasons why someone would chose a TLX over a 10th gen Accord Touring. The Accord is nicer inside, has more room, better fuel economy, faster, and isn’t stuck with the 9 speed auto that people are always complaining about.

Get something else.

20. 03-14-2019 04:31 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      I can’t think of many reasons why someone would chose a TLX over a 10th gen Accord Touring. The Accord is nicer inside, has more room, better fuel economy, faster, and isn’t stuck with the 9 speed auto that people are always complaining about.

Get something else.
      I'd take the Accord too unless I wanted AWD.

21. 03-14-2019 06:40 PM #45
      Most people that "need" awd never even move they're vehicle in inclement weather

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      03-14-2019 06:58 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Most people that "need" awd never even move they're vehicle in inclement weather
      In Acura's case the AWD system gives it a legitimate handling advantage. I dunno how it's tuned in the TLX, but from my experience it really makes the car feel less like a nose-heavy transverse V6 under power. can't do anything about neutral handling, but it's a cool party trick otherwise.

otherwise I agree, 10th gen is a better buy for the average owner.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      03-14-2019 07:08 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      In Acura's case the AWD system gives it a legitimate handling advantage. I dunno how it's tuned in the TLX, but from my experience it really makes the car feel less like a nose-heavy transverse V6 under power. can't do anything about neutral handling, but it's a cool party trick otherwise.

otherwise I agree, 10th gen is a better buy for the average owner.
      IMO any V6 honda/acura has actually done a fairly good job of hiding its front heavy roots. Even base models hide their FWD basis better than any pre 2010 quattro audis with lower spec engines.

Id also say the 2004-2008 TSX is probably the most balanced FWD car I have ever driven. It always works, be it driving kids to school or canyon carving. Not only that but you can drive it at 10/10 on public roads and not feel afraid. Not many cars can do that.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      03-15-2019 12:23 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I'm also looking in this size range
      In what range are you not looking?
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

25. 03-15-2019 12:39 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      IMO any V6 honda/acura has actually done a fairly good job of hiding its front heavy roots. Even base models hide their FWD basis better than any pre 2010 quattro audis with lower spec engines.

Id also say the 2004-2008 TSX is probably the most balanced FWD car I have ever driven. It always works, be it driving kids to school or canyon carving. Not only that but you can drive it at 10/10 on public roads and not feel afraid. Not many cars can do that.
      I have to agree with that

worst I hveexperienced was a last gen chrysler 200/ the sebring refresh with a V6 felt so front heavy

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '17 Ridgeline RTL, '18 Accord Sport
      03-15-2019 11:25 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I have mixed feelings about these. They look great and it would be nice to have a big honest N/A V6 again. I have experienced the ZF9 in other cars and didn't feel anything strange. I'm sure SH-AWD is nice too. But outside of that the Accord 2.0T is just a better car in every way.
      The Accord is also faster, but you don't get that all wheel drives
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast