VWVortex.com - Graphics Cards explained for a noob
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Graphics Cards explained for a noob

1. 03-14-2019 12:43 AM #1
      looking at buying a graphics cards. I have noticed that different manufactures of these units have numbers that are used by other companies...for example : geforce gtx 1050 and a zotac geforce 1050. Two different companies but the same numbers. I was under the impression that the number might be the model, AKA the higher the number the better performance as a card. Also they have a ddr5 gb rating which is another point of confusion for the uneducated person I am. If anyone has lant insight then please enlighten me.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      03-14-2019 12:56 PM #2
      The GPU is actually the chip on the board, similar to how the CPU is the chip on the motherboard (but you can't swap GPUs on graphics cards since not designed for that with a bios that can be changed easily).
      The common personal desktop type GPU chips used in boards are made by AMD (Radeon) and NVidia (GeForce).
      The actual board/graphics card is the graphics card made/sold by any number of partners with the GPU chip from AMD or NVidia.

Research any EXACT card you look at.
      Some of the cards have the same GPU chip (1060 for example) but have very different specs (MUCH slower Ram speed which really hurts performance).
      Also- the cooling designs can vary wildly between board designs.
      Check reviews.

Also- look at power requirements/size for any graphics card you consider to make sure it will work with your system.
      Older cards tend to be better values with discounted prices, but also tend to use/require more power.

FYI- the best value right now are the (possibly overstock that was never actually put in systems) ebay "OEM" style RX 460 (I think these were made for HP).
      These are not used.
      They are not pretty, but give $120+ card performance for 60-65 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...x+460&_sacat=0

That graphics card shouldn't require an additional power connector (like many older cards with similar graphical power).
      Just make sure your PCI-e slot delivers 75 watts- which should be any standard PC.. only the small form factor prebuilds (Dell/Lenovo/HP) seem to have much lower PCI-e power.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 03-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.