VWVortex.com - New car with wrong equipment aka buying sight-unseen aka new Ram content
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car with wrong equipment aka buying sight-unseen aka new Ram content

Vehicles
      Five two-seat roadsters, a hatchback, and a big ass pickup truck
      03-14-2019 01:53 AM #1
      It was new truck time and we knew what we wanted: a nice Ram we could tow long distance comfortably with. This meant Laramie trim, crew cab, long bed, 5.7 Hemi without Etorque, 3.92 rear gear, 33 gallon gas tank. The wife wanted the bigger screen in the dashboard and the sunroof. I wasn't fussy about color as long as it wasn't black, white, or red.

Finding a truck equipped this way was difficult. Many got close but were missing the rear gear, or the gas tank, or the long bed, etc. I almost bought one at the end of February as the salesman was pushing me hard to show up on the 28th, but I backed off because we really weren't ready to buy and it was black.

The wife found an ideally-optioned truck at a dealer two hours from home. From the window sticker, it seemed to have everything we wanted plus some bonuses. It's a Laramie with the monochromatic paint up front (no chrome) and the Sport hood. I dealt with the salesman there all last week via email trying to get a deal done, helped a lot with the quote I had from the February deal I didn't go through with. Things were looking good and I told the salesman that we'd be up Saturday to sign the papers and take our truck home.

We were locking the front door Saturday morning when the salesman called. I feared the worst, that the truck had been sold. But it wasn't that. Even though the truck was listed as being in the dealership inventory, it actually was still at the rail yard and it wasn't leaving there anytime today. We went to the dealer anyway to test-drive a similar truck (I had driven a few, but the wife hadn't), and we'd likely put down a deposit on the not-yet-delivered truck we wanted.

We figured we probably weren't going to find a better truck for a better deal than we had worked out, so we took a leap of faith and went through the entire purchase process based on the window sticker. This meant having the rather unsatisfactory feeling of leaving the car store with new car paperwork, but no new truck to go along with it.

When we got back home I got angrier the more I thought about it. The salesman assured us that we'd have our new truck by the 20th, which was the last possible moment to have the truck in time to use it to tow to our first race of the year in Charlotte NC. If it didn't show up in time, he said, he'd arrange a loaner. This wouldn't be so bad except that it would involve me making that two-hour trip to the dealer and back who knows how many times.

Monday passed with no word from the dealer, and I spent some brain power late Monday night preparing my rant that I'd be giving them in the morning. The rail yard is in Jessup MD, maybe 50 miles from the dealer, and I figured that having a vehicle in that lot already sold would be some motivation for them to get that truck out of there and delivered ASAP.

That brain power went to waste as I got the call on Tuesday morning that the truck was at the dealer and ready to go to prep. The excitement of that was tempered by the fact that we couldn't get away on Tuesday to get it, so we'd have to wait till Wednesday.

We got to the dealer mid-afternoon and it was just finishing prep. They brought it out and it's glorious. Granite Crystal Metallic paint, black leather, 22" wheels (meh)... it looked good. We went over it pretty thoroughly and found a small ding high on one door, so it'll have to go back when the PDR guy is there. I'm OK with that. But on our second lap around the truck we found something else amiss.

It didn't have the Sport hood.

We looked over the window sticker and yup, it should have the sport hood. There is an option to have the sport package with a sport hood delete, but this definitely didn't have that. Next thing we did was make sure we had the truck we thought we bought, and to our relief we found it had the right VIN.

The dealer is dumbfounded how this could have happened. On the plus side, they quickly ordered the right hood although it'll take a couple weeks to show up. When it does, that'll get installed and that ding will get PDR'd as well, and I'm sure we'll wind up being very happy with this truck. It does drive very nicely.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      16v I4, Supercharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      03-14-2019 01:58 AM #2
      Any pictures of said truck?
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      03-14-2019 02:24 AM #3
      Is it possible the original sport hood was damaged in transit and replaced with a regular hood?

I mean I’ve seen trucks leave the factory with different wheels on one side vs. the other so it’s not surprising that it would get down the line without an option. However transit damage might explain your missing hood and delayed delivery. Sounds like they’re making good on it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby
      03-14-2019 06:03 AM #4
      I really like the looks of the Ram. They have been running some pretty crazy lease deals lately on tv too. Interested to see pics of yours.

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      03-14-2019 07:16 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CRD99 View Post
      Is it possible the original sport hood was damaged in transit and replaced with a regular hood?

I mean I’ve seen trucks leave the factory with different wheels on one side vs. the other so it’s not surprising that it would get down the line without an option. However transit damage might explain your missing hood and delayed delivery. Sounds like they’re making good on it though.
      OP this delivery story sucks but hopefully everything turns out well.

from the recent "keeping it real gone wrong CPO thread" last week, did you get a PPI and all body panels measured by a paint thickness meter? if you didn't, you are doing it wrong. whether CPO,new or used, the correct TCL way of buying is PPI + paint metering.

7. Member
      03-14-2019 07:17 AM #6
      Congrats! I wouldn't be too worried about the hood, at least it's replaceable. When I showed up to pick up the Mini it had the wrong transmission, queue another 3 month wait for a new one to be ordered.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      03-14-2019 07:33 AM #7
      That sucks. One time I ordered an Antarctic blue sportwagen, the dealer called and said the car arrived just one day before we were going on a big trip. Get there and "my" car turned out to be a metallic pea family truckster. I was really pissed but I took it anyway because we had that whole trip planned... And they crushed my trade 2 minutes after we got there.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      '13 Fiat 500e, '13 Golf R, '13 Tiguan SEL
      03-14-2019 08:13 AM #8
      All I’d say is to be vigilant when picking up the truck with the new hood about whether it was “factory” painted or painted by a local body shop (they order a hood in primer and rely on a local shop to spray it).

If it’s the latter, I’d insist on a very close inspection as well as paperwork that there would be a warranty on the hood just as there would’ve been on it from the factory (I could see Ram refusing to fix an issue based on it not being “original” paint).

Lastly, I’d ask that they allow me to keep the non-sport hood. It’ll be a bit of a pain to store but it may come in VERY handy one day.
      Wuste European Car Festival The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      03-14-2019 08:20 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      That sucks. One time I ordered an Antarctic blue sportwagen, the dealer called and said the car arrived just one day before we were going on a big trip. Get there and "my" car turned out to be a metallic pea family truckster. I was really pissed but I took it anyway because we had that whole trip planned... And they crushed my trade 2 minutes after we got there.
      Your reference ... I like it!

At least the dealer called and said the actual truck wasn't there, and you had the option to drive out anyway. Most dealers would've let you just show up

Sucks about the hood but they can make it right. Truck option packages are so convoluted now.

Vehicles
      2018 Audi S4, 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stornello, 1971 Honda CL350 Scrambler
      03-14-2019 08:22 AM #10
      With the enormous complexity that exists for the new RAM trucks (and pretty much every new pickup truck), it's a miracle that there aren't more misbuilds. Your misbuild is not that bad, since it can be relatively easily corrected. Some cannot be corrected, and then you'd just have to deal with it.

12. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      03-14-2019 08:30 AM #11
      I was expecting something far more drastic, like it showing up with the short bed.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-14-2019 08:30 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by windycityvdub View Post
      With the enormous complexity that exists for the new RAM trucks (and pretty much every new pickup truck), it's a miracle that there aren't more misbuilds. Your misbuild is not that bad, since it can be relatively easily corrected. Some cannot be corrected, and then you'd just have to deal with it.
      My thoughts exactly.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      03-14-2019 09:45 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by windycityvdub View Post
      I bet there are - they just get sold without anyone noticing. I would notice, since I keep all my window stickers, but most dealers chuck them in the trash or stuff them in the back of the manual.

15. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      03-14-2019 10:44 AM #14
      It happens with FCA vehicles. https://jalopnik.com/how-did-this-je...g-part-5836640

Edit: And VW's too. There was a MkV Rabbit many years ago that had a mostly beige interior with a few black panels.

Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      03-14-2019 11:12 AM #15
      Were you able to verify the gearing was what they said it was?

Also:

Vehicles
      B6 Passat Wagon
      03-14-2019 11:22 AM #16
      I'm probably getting old.... but this doesn't seem like too much trouble given the very unique options on the table....
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

18. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      03-14-2019 11:27 AM #17
      My dad worked with a woman who ordered a loaded Chrysler Cirrus and it showed up without a sunroof.

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 11:56 AM #18
      I appreciate the 35+ year old movie reference

I'm a little disappointed nobody said to refuse delivery and demand a TT-RS

I've found the build sheet (equipment listing, they call it) on Dodge's site and sure enough there is "Sport Performance Hood" so it should be there. I found no mention of a delete option, which would have come as a surprise since four of us (me, wife, salesman, dealer manager) looked over the window sticker quite a bit when we discovered the missing option.

I'll go outside and grab some pics in a few. The monochrome paint with the charcoal color is a serious change from our old truck (4th gen Laramie with massive amounts of chrome and two-tone blue/silver paint), it will take some getting used to.

Vehicles
      '67 M715, '96 LX450, '06 Silverado
      03-14-2019 12:15 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      At least the dealer called and said the actual truck wasn't there, and you had the option to drive out anyway. Most dealers would've let you just show up
      This. I called a dealer once about a vehicle they were advertising online, and they told me to come on down to look at it. It wasn't there when I got there. I talked to a different salesman about it, and he looked surprised. He told me it hadn't been there in days since it was sold some time ago. They just wanted me in the door.

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      03-14-2019 12:18 PM #20
      While it sucks, I agree that it could have been much worse. I'm just curious to know in which direction was this dealer 2 hours from you?

Also, waiting for pics.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 335d
      03-14-2019 12:20 PM #21
      Long distance towing and 3.92s doesn't make much sense to me. Why not the 3.21? Unless we're talking 60mph and under?

Vehicles
      2012 AWD Nissan Rogue (again, you dumb ass!)
      03-14-2019 12:28 PM #22
      seems like a very good truck! hoping to see pics soon, too.
      Satan´s nopemares...

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 12:48 PM #23

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-14-2019 12:52 PM #24
      So is the Sport Hood the hood off the Rebel?

26. 03-14-2019 12:52 PM #25
      I think you'll be ok. Watch the paint. That said "bad paint" is fatal, as in slam dunk buyback under lemon law. so if there's ever a mismatch issue, free truck, less usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast