Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Console trim reproduction feeler

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 and 1993 VR6 Corrado SLC
      03-14-2019 09:27 AM #1
      I know first hands how hard to get your hand on some corrado specific parts.
      Got my hands on NOS dash center console trim few years ago, and thought maybe we run the reproduction. I know this pieces are in bad shape for most with hack job radio installs and general repairs.
      Posting this feeler to understand what would be the price that will attract corrado enthusiasts and demand. Tooling/mold is pretty high initial investment. In order of 3-5 K$. Reproduction could be made of better plastic with fiber reinforcement.
      Would you think ~100$ be attractive enough to guarantee 50-100 orders?
      What other injection molding parts worth reproducing since were on the topic.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      16' GTI Autobahn PP,93' Corrado VR6,00'Tropic Orange GTI VR6
      03-14-2019 09:34 AM #2
      Are you talking about 93-UP center console bezels? If so I would be game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      03-14-2019 11:27 AM #3
      I’d buy 2 to support the cause. Hell maybe I’d even swap to that style dash, never thought I’d say that. I hate, absolutely hate how brittle that dash is.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 01:51 PM #4
      Yes, my NOS to copy is 93+ style. Although I have pre 93 bezel in very good shape as well, I don’t think the demand would be there to justify tooling.
      Even for myself I work on 93+ interior swap to my 92 SLC. Pre facelift dash is too “Passat” and plain looking IMO.

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 01:58 PM #5
      I’m not going to tell you how much I paid for my NOS Bezel. But I would buy 2 or more for future Corrados I will acquire!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      03-14-2019 04:44 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Sluh View Post
      I know first hands how hard to get your hand on some corrado specific parts.
      Got my hands on NOS dash center console trim few years ago, and thought maybe we run the reproduction. I know this pieces are in bad shape for most with hack job radio installs and general repairs.
      Posting this feeler to understand what would be the price that will attract corrado enthusiasts and demand. Tooling/mold is pretty high initial investment. In order of 3-5 K$. Reproduction could be made of better plastic with fiber reinforcement.
      Would you think ~100$ be attractive enough to guarantee 50-100 orders?
      What other injection molding parts worth reproducing since were on the topic.
      Can you make them with the symbols next to the vent illuminated? As well as the left side vent surround and the right vent surround? I always thought the symbols next to the vents should be illuminated.

Maybe you could make two versions, a single DIN reproduction and a double DIN for those who want to run double DIN systems.

Vehicles
      93 VR6 Corrado, 04 R32, 03 Jetta 1.8t
      03-14-2019 07:05 PM #7
      Don't worry about all these extra options, I'm sure the cost involved in getting fancy would make it unfeasible.

But yes, I'd definitely be down for getting a couple of them - one to replace the currently cracked one in my dash, and one to keep as a spare.
      Brendan Prout
      04 R32 155,000 miles
      93 VR6 Corrado 202,000 miles
      90 G60 Corrado 304,000 miles - RIP 2/12/11

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 07:06 PM #8
      Sorry, no modifications. 1. I have no time nor 3D CAD woo woo skills. The best I can envision, send NOS part to one of the injection molding places, get the quote to plain copy, go from there.
      2. Tooling cost would be multiplied. One mold from YOURS cad file would cost 2-3 k$. Add theirs 3D scanning, modeling, processing etc, and it goes up don’t know how much yet.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8t, '00 GTI 12v, '94 Bramble Corrado
      03-14-2019 10:57 PM #9
      Count me down for 2 as well in that price range. I definitely think you could secure at least 50 pieces if everyone that has a 93+ Corrado knew about this. Please make this a reality.
      Last edited by dkirsch; 03-15-2019 at 04:44 PM.

11. 03-15-2019 11:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dkirsch View Post
      Count me down for 2 as well in that price range. I definitely think you could secure at least 50 pieces if everyone that has a 93+ Corrado knew about this. Please make this a reality.
      VW Classic parts sells new g60 style center consoles. There are no authorized retailer for them in the US though. I am sure getting one shipped over would be much less of a hassle compared to having a custom piece made. Check out the link below:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...z-corrado.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      03-16-2019 05:41 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
      VW Classic parts sells new g60 style center consoles. There are no authorized retailer for them in the US though. I am sure getting one shipped over would be much less of a hassle compared to having a custom piece made. Check out the link below:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts...z-corrado.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      That's the old style though. This thread is all about the new style.

MK1 Autohaus is an authorized reseller. They can probably get it if VW Classic makes it:

http://www.mk1autohaus.com/89--92-Co...el_p_7758.html

The later one is not in stock.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2019 10:28 PM #12
      What I’m not fond about in vw classic parts is original kwality. You can score NOS door glass scrapers, but they will self disintegrate in the sun same way originals did if not faster. Would I get to reproduction it would be not just exact copy but oem+. In case of console trim reinforced plastic instead of plain oem abs that cracks if you look at it wrong.

14. 03-18-2019 09:54 AM #13
      Hey folks, you're too slow You can buy it here already:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Corrado-M...YAAOSwevdaMYbj

Regards

Gunther

Vehicles
      03-18-2019 09:59 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by GuntherVR6 View Post
      Hey folks, you're too slow You can buy it here already:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Corrado-M...YAAOSwevdaMYbj

Regards

Gunther

Yeah we know we can get oem ones with a little digging. The OP is looking to make new that potentially be stronger unit. And on US soil.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2019 10:14 AM #15
      Well, if reproduction already available at 59€ I would not bother then. not worth it. Buy two and swap when first one breaks.

PS, scratch it. It’s 179€ plus shipping to US.
      Last edited by Sluh; 03-18-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Vehicles
      03-18-2019 10:30 AM #16
      Well, if reproduction already available at 59€ I would not bother then. not worth it. Buy two and swap when first one breaks.

PS, scratch it. It’s 179€ plus shipping to US.

So price would be around $240 US Dollars here. Shipping from germany included. Well I ordered one, hope fully the fit an finish is spot on.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      03-18-2019 04:01 PM #17
      I looked into a bit of it, it is super costly to do this part from the point of the molds are a lot. This falls into the category of "If you have to ask how much, you cannot afford it", this is not including the time do design the part for the mold maker ect.

If you have any questions about the process, feel free to drop me a line.
      -Noah
      Corrado - Attempting to beat the 10yr clock| 996 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | 997 Turbo - The Gran Turismo Project |TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit |
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      96 GTI VRT, 93 SLC x2 (Red & Green), 93 RHD 4DR GOLF VR6
      03-18-2019 09:29 PM #18
      Id be in for at least one

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 2L 16V, 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro, 2014 Audi RS5
      Yesterday 07:44 AM #19
      Where did you get $3k-$5k for tooling? Have you seriously looked into tooling costs yet? Actually shown the original part to a company that does injection molded plastic?

I've been asked to make these for years now and looked into it awhile back. Tooling costs were far more expensive and not feasible. To get tooling for injection molded parts made in the US is expensive. I make replacement tail light seals for Mk1 TT's and it cost more than $5k for CAD and tooling in Asia. Plus for injected plastic or rubber parts they won't make small production runs. A lot of places won't make less than 500 parts. Your costs to get something like this into production can easily hit $20k+ and that's in Asia, not the US. Tooling alone here in the US might cost you $20k. I don't see anyway you could remake a part like this and expect to sell them for $100 or anything close to that unless you expect to lose money.

Unfortunately injection molded parts are only cheap once your tooling and initial costs are paid for. The up front costs are expensive and only make it realistic for higher volume production parts. That's why its rare that anyone remakes parts like this. Also trying to say you are going to make a better quality part and actually doing that is not that easy unless this is something that you do for a living and have experience with it.

This is a part I can see VW Classic Parts remaking eventually. They are much better suited to forking out the upfront costs involved. BTW you can order their parts through 1stVWParts in the US.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:05 AM #20
      Well, that’s something I suspected. Did not reach out to any company yet, just thought Asia got some progress in it. Look at PCBs. Prototype run used to cost arm and leg, now it’s under 100$ with 10 days turnaround from Taiwan.
      As for “better” - replace ABS with uv stabilized PA30 and it will be a rock. Increased mold wear on small run could be ignored, shrinkage would be accounted during mold CAD I bet companies have enough knowledge to tweak it.
      Last edited by Sluh; Yesterday at 08:14 AM.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:34 AM #21
      If you haven't worked with companies in Asia before especially any country outside of Japan, it can be a costly learning experience. Many people there only care about making short term money and could care less about long term working relationships. My first experience doing business China cost me $2000 in worthless parts that I had to throw away. I even paid to have sample production parts made and FedEx'd to me before production started to verify the quality.

To make a part like this in Asia you need to have someone you can trust who lives there and who can watch over the entire process. Also if you produce them in Asia you will have the shipping costs of getting the parts to the US after production is complete. Imagine what a few hundred parts will cost to ship? There is a lot involved cost wise to make a part like this and it takes time too. For my tail light seals it took 6 months from starting CAD to the first production run. And I put up all of the money out of pocket and did not take one pre-order so it was pretty nerve wracking.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 08:49 AM #22
      Well, that’s something I suspected. Did not reach out to any company yet, just thought Asia got some progress in it. Look at PCBs. Prototype run used to cost arm and leg, now it’s under 100$ with 10 days turnaround from Taiwan.
      As for “better” - replace ABS with uv stabilized PA30 and it will be a rock. Increased mold wear on small run could be ignored, shrinkage would be accounted during mold CAD I bet companies have enough knowledge to tweak it.

You're just talking about material quality. Trying to reproduce a part that is as good or better quality than OEM in materials, fit, finish, and durability is a huge task especially if you plan to make them in Asia.

Also changing the material you will need to be concerned if the part will have the same finish as the original so it matches with the other OE plastic parts that fit in and around it.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 09:00 AM #23
      That’s why this topic was started. Just a feeler. Thanks a lot for input with first hand experience!