VWVortex.com - Get yer popcorn ready TFL, Chevy wants me to lease me a Bolt for $749 a month...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Chevy wants me to lease me a Bolt for $749 a month...too much or just right?

Voters
    38. You may not vote on this poll
    • Just right, Uber. We know you have terrible credit.

5 13.16%
    • Hell Nah, that's too much.

22 57.89%
    • I know how you can lease the Bolt for $300-ish a month. PM me.

2 5.26%
    • You're in Texas though, $740 is about right.

2 5.26%
    • Why don't you put some money down, cheap a$$...

0 0%
    • Uber Wagon is the worst tire kicker than Hawk. Salesmen beware!

7 18.42%
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get yer popcorn ready TFL, Chevy wants me to lease me a Bolt for $749 a month...

Vehicles
      BMW 328i GT, BMW X3, Toyota Appiiance
      03-14-2019 05:13 PM #26
      BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I don't know anything about how Texas taxes leases, but can't you just buy it for the advertised $33,295, and get the $7,500 fed credit? Seems to be a better deal than whatever mumbo-jumbo they're doing with the lease.
      Well, all three of the GM dealers (1 Cadillac, 2 Chevy dealers) said that I absolutely have to buy to get the tax credit. And by all means no way, no how that they can apply any of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit on the purchase. Even though they are advertising it going away in april all over Chevy.com Actually, not going away, but getting reduced to $3,750.

BMW told me that leasing is better way to go since $7,500 Federal tax credit can be directly towards money factor or as a cost cap reduction. If you do a balloon payment with BMW, you must return $7,500.

At any rate, GM salesforce's inadequcies in dealing with EV customers are the very reason that they are gonna get beat by ze Germans. Maybe I should just demand TT-S.

Chevy dealer: "what's a TT-S?"
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 03-14-2019 at 05:20 PM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      03-14-2019 05:32 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      BUMP

Well, all three of the GM dealers (1 Cadillac, 2 Chevy dealers) said that I absolutely have to buy to get the tax credit. And by all means no way, no how that they can apply any of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit on the purchase. Even though they are advertising it going away in april all over Chevy.com Actually, not going away, but getting reduced to $3,750.

BMW told me that leasing is better way to go since $7,500 Federal tax credit can be directly towards money factor or as a cost cap reduction. If you do a balloon payment with BMW, you must return $7,500.

At any rate, GM salesforce's inadequcies in dealing with EV customers are the very reason that they are gonna get beat by ze Germans. Maybe I should just demand TT-S.

Chevy dealer: "what's a TT-S?"
      Neither one is incorrect. In order for YOU to receive the credit, then yes YOU must buy (or finance) the vehicle. Dealers around here acted crazy when I asked about applying the credit to a LEASE, since I don't own the car GMAC gets the credit. Something is up within GMAC where they are either pocketing the credit or not even applying for it. So yes, GM is totally incompetent when it comes to selling these things I'd have considered a Bolt, but the numbers made no sense. The i3 drove better anyway.

BMW, on the other hand, applies the credit they are receiving to the Cap Cost Reduction on your lease, thereby making i3 leases ridiculously cheap. The balloon pay, is considered a Purchase so therefore YOU file and get the credit. BMW will credit you the $7500 upfront on the balloon.

In our case, we never pay that much in Federal Taxes, so the credit to US is a non-starter. Therefore the BMW leases are always better.

Vehicles
      Orkney Grey RR Evoque
      03-14-2019 07:39 PM #28
      So this thread got my interest up in a cheap Bolt lease. So for giggles I emailed a couple of local dealers around here. One responded back with $610 a month for a $0 down 10k/36 lease. When asked if the $7500 tax credit would apply he told me no, that’s for purchase only.

Welp there goes my interest. Would have done it too if the price was right.

Vehicles
      Orkney Grey RR Evoque
      03-14-2019 07:48 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      I don't know anything about how Texas taxes leases, but can't you just buy it for the advertised $33,295, and get the $7,500 fed credit? Seems to be a better deal than whatever mumbo-jumbo they're doing with the lease.
      It’s all about total money spent. If the Bolt can be bad for $300 a month then total spent after 36 months is $10800. If you buy the car at $33295, after tax and stuff it’ll be at least $35000. After the tax credit you are in it for $27500. Can you sell the car after 3 years for $17000? Who knows.

At the $229 advertised price the total cost is only $8244. Will a 5 year old Bolt be worth $19000? Plus the hassle of selling a car.
      Last edited by wuman82; 03-14-2019 at 07:50 PM.

6. 03-14-2019 07:49 PM #30
      look, the tax credit goes to the purchaser. when you lease, the bank is the purchaser and owns the car.

all things equal the deal either way with you buying or leasing the numbers on the sale should be the same. with a lease the residual and money factors are a predicted resale value and interest. ie it should in a perfect world align with you buying the car and trading it in in 3 years.

EV's generally suck for lease rates as their resale is in the toilet, and for buying long term NO EV manufacturer aside from Tesla stands behind any of their ev lineup. Specifically calling out GM here as they totally suck for ev service and support.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      03-14-2019 10:07 PM #31
      How about $25,257 for a 2017 LT with 2360 miles?
      https://www.maherchevrolet.com/Vehic...-FL/3366479253

They also have great prices on Volts again: $17,062
      https://www.maherchevrolet.com/Vehic...-FL/3366478913
      Last edited by spockcat; 03-14-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2001 Honda S2000 (sold)
      03-14-2019 11:39 PM #32
      Dude, just BUY a Model 3 base for that much a month. Insane!!

Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 09:53 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post

I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      BMW, on the other hand, applies the credit they are receiving to the Cap Cost Reduction on your lease, thereby making i3 leases ridiculously cheap. The balloon pay, is considered a Purchase so therefore YOU file and get the credit. BMW will credit you the $7500 upfront on the balloon.
      Yep. Under Owner's Choice in Texas (aka GM Smartbuy for BMW), you get the $7,500 taken off MSRP right away on i3, but you must pay it back to BMW (at least in 2014 you did). Not literally writing them a check, of course, but they will ADD that back to your payoff amount if you decide to buy the car at the end of the contract. My salesman told me specifically not to do Owner's Choice since you have to return that $7,500 federal rebate money back. That's why I went with leasing instead. Maybe it's a little different in your state, but that's how it goes in Texas. On conventional purchases, you can not take it off right off the sticker with BMW. You must file for your Federal Tax Rebate a la Chevy Bolt.

Strangely, BMW does not do that with 530e. Because I have cross-shopped it against it on i3.

Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      look, the tax credit goes to the purchaser. when you lease, the bank is the purchaser and owns the car.

all things equal the deal either way with you buying or leasing the numbers on the sale should be the same. with a lease the residual and money factors are a predicted resale value and interest. ie it should in a perfect world align with you buying the car and trading it in in 3 years.

EV's generally suck for lease rates as their resale is in the toilet, and for buying long term NO EV manufacturer aside from Tesla stands behind any of their ev lineup. Specifically calling out GM here as they totally suck for ev service and support.
      So yes, GM is totally incompetent when it comes to selling these things I'd have considered a Bolt, but the numbers made no sense.
      THIS. GM needs to train sales staff and more aggressively market Bolt to customers and dealers alike. Otherwise, their Electrification future looks well, bleak at best. I don't blame the dealers. They have 200 Chevy Silverados on the lot and 15 of them sticker over $65K with $10K rebate money in the truck bed. I'd wanna sell it first over some red headed stepchild vehicle with zero cash support. It's purely GM's fault.

The i3 drove better anyway.
      Nein. I think Bolt drives better, is quicker, and has twice the range. Bolt is the only competitor to Model 3 in this segment. i3 is compelling choice, but lacks the range. Nissan Leaf is closer in range, but it drives worse than my mom's Toyota Corolla. Hyundai Kona would be another hot competitor if you could find a dealer that's trying not to gauge you with price. If Chevy would've let me lease it for $330, or even $400, I'd been in it right now.

The only downside is that GM dealers have no idea how to sell them. I'm still getting sales calls BTW. I'm actually thinking about calling GM about this and clearing it all up for us Texas EV folks.
      Last edited by Uber Wagon; 03-15-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      03-15-2019 10:18 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post

That’s not the real price since it includes “gas savings”.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-15-2019 10:22 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I so loathe how they (and others?) do that.

12. 03-15-2019 10:31 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I so loathe how they (and others?) do that.
      Yes AND it also includes the tax credit. of course you should be qualifying for the whole thing, if you are buying a tesla. But still. The cars need to be out there for the working class, that's where the credit is needed most.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      03-15-2019 10:35 AM #37

The dealers are correct. The purchaser of the qualifying EV is the person who gets the credit, even if someone else ultimately leases the EV from the purchaser. An individual purchaser claims the credit by attaching Form 8936 to their Form 1040 for the year the EV is placed in service. A dealer isn't going to build a tax credit into the purchase price because it's a tax credit, not an incentive from the manufacturer they'll be reimbursed. GM Financial is almost certainly including at least part of the credit in their lease pricing model, so they're not going negotiate a further discount based on the credit. If they do, it's probably just a numbers game where they adjust the residual or hold back some other incentive.

Like GMF, if BMW's finance company purchases an EV from BMW, that's who gets the credit. They can pass along part or all of the benefit to the lessee, but aren't required to. At the end of the day, there's no legal or economic difference between offering the lessee $7,500 as a "tax credit" or as an incentive by some other name.

I don't disagree about the GM dealer experience, but a lot of the confusion about how this credit works stems from consumers who 1) don't have the first clue how the credit actually works and 2) assume every dealer is out to screw them and/or is completely incompetent. That's why the Chevy website you mentioned has a disclaimer telling people to consult a tax professional before claiming the credit.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 10:40 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      At least they give you the Federal Tax credits up front. Even though it's only $3,750 until who knows.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 10:48 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      The dealers are correct. The purchaser of the qualifying EV is the person who gets the credit, even if someone else ultimately leases the EV from the purchaser. An individual purchaser claims the credit by attaching Form 8936 to their Form 1040 for the year the EV is placed in service. A dealer isn't going to build a tax credit into the purchase price because it's a tax credit, not an incentive from the manufacturer they'll be reimbursed. GM Financial is almost certainly including at least part of the credit in their lease pricing model, so they're not going negotiate a further discount based on the credit. If they do, it's probably just a numbers game where they adjust the residual or hold back some other incentive.

Like GMF, if BMW's finance company purchases an EV from BMW, that's who gets the credit. They can pass along part or all of the benefit to the lessee, but aren't required to. At the end of the day, there's no legal or economic difference between offering the lessee $7,500 as a "tax credit" or as an incentive by some other name.
      Thanks for clearing that up. The best explanation I've seen so far.

I don't disagree about the GM dealer experience, but a lot of the confusion about how this credit works stems from consumers who 1) don't have the first clue how the credit actually works and 2) assume every dealer is out to screw them and/or is completely incompetent. That's why the Chevy website you mentioned has a disclaimer telling people to consult a tax professional before claiming the credit.
      It's not dealers' fault at any rate. They just wanna sell the car. But I am the ultimate tire-kicker. I think GM needs to be more pro-active about EV sales and training. But I'll save that for another 'LOL LUTZ' thread.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 10:50 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      How about $25,257 for a 2017 LT with 2360 miles?
      https://www.maherchevrolet.com/Vehic...-FL/3366479253

They also have great prices on Volts again: $17,062
      https://www.maherchevrolet.com/Vehic...-FL/3366478913
      The dealers are correct. The purchaser of the qualifying EV is the person who gets the credit, even if someone else ultimately leases the EV from the purchaser. An individual purchaser claims the credit by attaching Form 8936 to their Form 1040 for the year the EV is placed in service. A dealer isn't going to build a tax credit into the purchase price because it's a tax credit, not an incentive from the manufacturer they'll be reimbursed.
      Click on the two links in my above post. This dealer becomes the first purchaser, uses the cars as loaners for <3000 miles and then sells them at a significant discount INCLUDING giving the 2nd purchaser the full $7500 tax credit as a discount. My son bought a 2018 Volt from this dealer for under $18k just a few months ago.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      03-15-2019 10:57 AM #41
      I think GM needs to be more pro-active about EV sales and training. But I'll save that for another 'LOL LUTZ' thread.
      I completely agree and hope GM does a better job marketing future EVs than they did with the Volt (a low bar, indeed).
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-15-2019 11:04 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Yeah I saw the other thread; I was asking specifically about considering those two products because:

You were thinking about switching over to Audi
      You said you were happy with the 2.0T's performance when testing in the A6
      These cars have most recent tech available
      You are good with 4-door sedans or hatchbacks
      and you like leasing.
      ?

Vehicles
      It varies.
      03-15-2019 11:12 AM #43
      Click on the two links in my above post. This dealer becomes the first purchaser, uses the cars as loaners for <3000 miles and then sells them at a significant discount INCLUDING giving the 2nd purchaser the full $7500 tax credit as a discount. My son bought a 2018 Volt from this dealer for under $18k just a few months ago.
      Did he pay $18K OTD, or $25.5K with the expectation he'll claim a $7,500 credit on his tax return?

If it's the former, I'm sure he got a $7,500 discount, but it's not actually the tax credit. Presenting it as being the federal EV tax credit is a marketing ploy that reflects consumers' incomplete understanding of the legal nuances of the credit.

If the latter, I hope he consulted a CPA or a tax lawyer beforehand because the credit is only available for purchases of NEW EVs.

Vehicles
      Orkney Grey RR Evoque
      03-15-2019 11:26 AM #44
      I don’t think this dealers price is as good as you think it is. This dealer wants $25k after the $7500 credit for a used 2 years old Bolt with 3000 miles. Dealers around me are discounting the Bolt by $8k-$10k, so I can buy a brand new one for as low as $22k after the $7500 credit.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-15-2019 11:34 AM #45
      Am I correct when I say that the $7,500 tax credit is dependent on your personal tax situation? That not everyone will actually be able to claim that whole amount depending on how much tax they pay?

I thought that was one of the points of leasing an EV (anywhere but Texas) where you usually got that $7,500 applied directly as a cap cost reduction.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      03-15-2019 11:41 AM #46
      Am I correct when I say that the $7,500 tax credit is dependent on your personal tax situation? That not everyone will actually be able to claim that whole amount depending on how much tax they pay?

I thought that was one of the points of leasing an EV (anywhere but Texas) where you usually got that $7,500 applied directly as a cap cost reduction.
      Correct. It's a non-refundable credit, meaning that it can only reduce the tax liability to zero, and any unused portion of the credit is not refunded or carried over to another tax year.

23. 03-15-2019 01:53 PM #47

It's all or nothing. So for instance the year I bought my ELR, I didn't have enough to claim it all as I had a LOT of other deductions and credits, so I purposely made a withdrawal from an IRA to up my taxes for the year and deposited the money into a roth. I hear it is even harder to do now after the trump "tax cuts" and slammin into the AMT.
      Last edited by Aseras; 03-15-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Vehicles
      03-15-2019 01:59 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by wuman82 View Post
      I don’t think this dealers price is as good as you think it is. This dealer wants $25k after the $7500 credit for a used 2 years old Bolt with 3000 miles. Dealers around me are discounting the Bolt by $8k-$10k, so I can buy a brand new one for as low as $22k after the $7500 credit.
      Please do share these deals from your dealer's website.

I do think the Volt deal is a lot better than the Bolt deal. Where else can you buy a 1 year old vehicle with <3000 miles for 50% of MSRP?

25. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      03-15-2019 02:07 PM #49
      You should do it. Great idea!
      Instagram - efrie004

26. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 18 i3 REX, 13 Mini Clubbie S
      03-15-2019 02:09 PM #50

Nein. I think Bolt drives better, is quicker, and has twice the range. Bolt is the only competitor to Model 3 in this segment. i3 is compelling choice, but lacks the range. Nissan Leaf is closer in range, but it drives worse than my mom's Toyota Corolla. Hyundai Kona would be another hot competitor if you could find a dealer that's trying not to gauge you with price. If Chevy would've let me lease it for $330, or even $400, I'd been in it right now.
      Our 2017 drives light years better than the 15. It it so much more solid, without the hollow thunks. Other specific needs makes the i3 perfect for us.

For our use, range is negligible. As it is maybe it gets two full charges a week. We qualified for an under mileage credit from BMW last time, and will this time too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast