VWVortex.com - FCA to Buy, Restore, and Sell Classic Alfa Romeos, Fiats, Lancias, and Abarths: launches restoration program for four Italian marques.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: FCA to Buy, Restore, and Sell Classic Alfa Romeos, Fiats, Lancias, and Abarths: launches restoration program for four Italian marques.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      03-14-2019 01:05 PM #1
      Sorry if repost, but I have just seen this & I searched....submit new thread.

https://autoweek.com/article/classic...alian-classics

Quote Originally Posted by autoweek
      Fiat Chrysler plans to dust off a bit of its past by finding and restoring classic cars from four of the group's marques. The automaker inaugurated a factory restoration program that will focus on Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia and Abarth classics.

But this effort won't operate as a client service: The FCA Heritage program will seek out the cars around the world, restore them to factory spec and then offer them for sale.

"The new 'Reloaded by Creators' project opens a new, original chapter in the FCA Heritage story: From now on, the Department will also be offering for sale a limited number of carefully selected classic cars, specially purchased by the Department, which have been restored to their original glory and guaranteed by the constructor (hence the name of the service)," FCA said in announcing the program. "The sums raised will then be used to finance new scouting activities to add important new pieces to FCA's historic collection. This is therefore a real cultural project, inspired by the modus operandi of art museums worldwide."

The program already has five cars to demonstrate its work: a 1989 Alfa Romeo SZ, a 1973 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Montecarlo, a 1981 Pininfarina Spidereuropa, a 1959 Lancia Appia Coupe and a 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider. That last one might be the most familiar car of the five to U.S. audiences, but we wouldn't rule out a few Alfa Romeo SZs trickling into the country in the coming years as collectors seek out the rarer sports cars of the 1980s.

The upside for collectors is that, unlike other factory restoration programs, FCA will offer the cars for sale to an existing audience. But the downside for current owners is they won't be able to commission restorations from the program directly.

Of course, the aim is not merely to polish existing cars -- plenty of high-end restorers can do that to a better-than-new standard -- but to discover and preserve rare examples that may not otherwise receive attention. Consider the inclusion of the 1991 Spider in the effort -- it's not the type of car that might otherwise receive a money-no-object restoration due to its value on the collector market, which makes a factory restoration a truly unique undertaking.

"Each car's timeless beauty lives again thanks to the care, know-how and passion of our team of experts at the Officine Classiche," FCA said. "From discovery, through painstaking scouting work, to restoration, and from promotion to return to the market: a 'complete cycle' that adds cultural worth to a car's financial value. Because safeguarding a legacy means renewal, and not just conservation."
      https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...s-and-abarths/

Quote Originally Posted by C/D
      Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) may want your classic Italian car. The automaker has just launched a new initiative, Reloaded by Creators, that aims to buy, restore, and sell some of the most significant vehicles from the company’s history. Focusing on Italian brands (the company has shown no interest in your slant-six Plymouth Valiant), the project aims to bring Alfa Romeos, Fiats, Lancias, and Abarths back to life while building the company’s own collection of historic cars.

Numerous auto manufacturers have recently announced programs for either reproducing or restoring older vehicles. The Mercedes-Benz Classic workforce at the company’s museum restores and sells what it calls All-Time Stars, Pagani Rinascimento is restoring and maintaining Zondas, Lamborghini’s Polo Storico is perfecting its classics, Jaguar is remaking D-types, and Land Rover Reborn is revamping Series 1 models. Mazda will even inject fresh juice into first-generation (NA) Miatas, and now FCA equally sees opportunity in this space.

Officially announced at the 2018 Rétromobile classic-car show in Paris, the Reloaded by Creators program is a compilation of services offered by the FCA Heritage division. Customers could previously request certificates of origin and factory restoration for certain vehicles, but this is the first time the company will scout, acquire, and sell certified classic restorations.

Claiming to have been “inspired by the modus operandi of art museums,” FCA has opened the program with five classics, which are already available for purchase: a 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider, a 1973 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Montecarlo, a 1981 Pininfarina Spidereuropa (née Fiat 124 Spider), a 1989 Alfa Romeo SZ, and a 1959 Lancia Appia coupe. According to FCA, the Alfa Spider, the Montecarlo, and the Pininfarina are “ultimate classics,” which means they are the last types of their series that were built and are restored to the fullest extent both mechanically and cosmetically. FCA chose the SZ and Appia as “unusual” and interesting custom cars. Each ride comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, the first time that Alfa Romeo and Fiat have offered such documentation, according to FCA.

FCA is not selling these vehicles just for the fun of it. It hopes the cash acquired from the classic-car sales will fund more exhaustive and thorough searches for other classic cars. Specific historically important vehicles that are discovered in the process will be added to the company’s own heritage collection. Fiat Chrysler has more information on the available vehicles here.

What if they add these to the list?............. :drool:

Carz: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group-*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      Yep, when I see andlf as the thread starter, it's a mandatory click now.
      G stands for GRENADE, 60 stands for what the tach says when it happens!.."Here"

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      03-14-2019 01:11 PM #2
      An actual 037 stradale would be ludicrously expensive, but a regular Scorpion/Montecarlo would be super cool and maybe stay in the 5 figure range. I have wanted to put together a restomod Scorpion with 037 influences for years.

4. 03-14-2019 03:37 PM #3
      That is pretty cool. It appears to be possible to still buy a lot of parts for the original (air cooled rear engine) Fiat 500, even though it stopped production in 1975.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-14-2019 05:29 PM #4
      Super high margin business, a no brainer.

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata, 2007 Si
      03-14-2019 05:35 PM #5
      Not surprised at all. Ralph Gilles is a huge car nut and has an old Alfa GTV and a Lancia Delta Integrale. I'd bet this was one of his pet projects.

Dude seems rad though. I had a trackday with him and he pilots a Viper ACR. Dude can RIP IT.
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

7. 03-14-2019 06:06 PM #6

I'll take an Abarth Simca please.

What kind of payment plans are available from FCA?
      I can handle like a 148 month deal maybe.

Vehicles
      '12 CC 6mt , ‘07 997tt, ‘16 Yukon, '16 XC90
      03-14-2019 06:06 PM #7

Time to get this out of dad’s basement and on this side of the pond.

X...

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      03-14-2019 06:08 PM #8
      I hope they put the correct hood on them.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      03-14-2019 06:24 PM #9
      Awesome. Here is a Lancia they can restore.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      03-14-2019 06:38 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Super high margin business, a no brainer.
      Exactly, not only that it strengthens your brand identity.

I dont understand why more brands dont have programs like this, ala MB Classic. Even if you have to hand make some parts at a loss, customers know and think that the brand has that sort of longevity.

12. 03-14-2019 07:20 PM #11
      Ah. Nissan tried this a quarter century ago with some Zs, to huge yawns.

But maybe this is a way for FCA to showcase their cure for runaway rust... Although I'd put money on a cloned mammoth stomping the earth first

Vehicles
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      03-14-2019 10:16 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post
      Sorry if repost, but I have just seen this & I searched....submit new thread.

What if they add these to the list?............. :drool:

Oh that’s awesome. I want a 037 in the worst way. What engine would be in your restomod?
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Prima 2007 A4 sline 1999 3.5 cabrio AAZ diesel, 1983 bmw e21, 1983 Alfa Romeo GTV6
      03-15-2019 07:15 AM #13
      I wonder how much it would be to get my 1965 lancia flavia sport zagato done
      [URL="https://www.autobelle.it/altre-immagini/immagini_annunci/1/11713/lista_11713.d1523539614.jpg"]

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      03-15-2019 07:22 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by giulianot View Post
      I wonder how much it would be to get my 1965 lancia flavia sport zagato done
      muy lira
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda