Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Started from the bottom, now I'm.... still near the bottom

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32, 2007 VW Rabbit, 2011 VW GTI
      03-14-2019 10:54 PM #1
      Hey guys! Been a long time since I got on here. In a past life I had a 00' A4 that was my pride and joy, but since then I haven't had a noteworthy dub that excited me. Until now. I just bought a 2008 Candy White R32, and I couldn't be happier.

All of that said......... I bought the car from an insurance auction, after the P/O totaled it. So, she's got a long road ahead of her before she's back on the road and pounding pavement.

Car # is 4682 and I’m the first to register it. She's got 54k miles, interior is in great shape, and aside from needing a new front bumper, hood, and passenger front fender, the rest is good too. Haven't heard it run yet, as the front clip is removed. I'm working on drawing up everything I need to do to get her back together, and balancing it with what things I'd like to just upgrade from the get go and do it once.

I plan to occasionally note in this what I'm working on, more for myself to keep a log of what's done and when, but all input is welcome and encouraged.

Here's to putting one of these sweet rides BACK on the road, and saving it from a shallow grave.

So far, here's what I've got on order:
      Radiator core support
      Radiator
      AC condenser
      Intake manifold
      washer reservoir
      Misc plastic intake bits

Noticed some weeping from the valve cover so I might do that while the intake mani is off. Also need to assess secondary air injection pump to determine if it needs to be replaced or if the mounts just broke and can be replaced instead of the entire pump.

Needed:
      R32 Front Bumper (LB9A)
      Last edited by TheRoyceWay; 03-25-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Update

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      03-14-2019 11:09 PM #2
      Last edited by A4one.eightTQ; 03-14-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Vehicles
      04-02-2019 05:08 PM #3
      Started work on the car, and thus far I’ve pulled my intake manifold and valve cover. While I’m this deep in the motor, any suggestions on stuff that’d be good to take care up while in here? What are common wear items on this motor? I’m replacing the seals for the valve cover, the spark plug tubes, the intake manifold to head, and the TB, as well as the vacuum reservoir under the front of the intake manifold.

Still need to source new secondary air injection pump bushings (the ones that mount it to the bracket), and a front bumper. If you’ve got any suggestions, they’d be much appreciated!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic/Southern CA USA
      Vehicles
      08/VW/MKVR32
      04-03-2019 05:23 PM #4
      Welcome to the forum. You definitely picked a winner. It's a great car. I'm an original owner hoping to get past 300k this year. What mods are you planning on?

Vehicles
      04-03-2019 08:48 PM #5
      Thanks! I jump around cars a lot, but I have every intention of keeping this one around. I also have an 07' Rabbit, and an 11' GTI. Those will be the sacrificial lambs long before this goes anywhere.

As for mods, the first mod is making it run again , But then after that, I plan on just making it nice again (fresh paint, fix anything broken). Wheels and coilovers, misc handling bits, mounts, etc. Still learning what there is for the car, and what's worth doing. If I keep it a couple years and decide it'll be a mainstay in the garage, I'll consider some sort of FI setup.

Vehicles
      04-06-2019 01:20 PM #6
      Valve cover gasket, all 6 valve cover spark plug gaskets, intake manifold gasket, and throttle body gasket all done. Manifold is back on, and hooked up. Spark plug tubes had a lot of oil in em from the vulcanized seals that were hardened disks at this point. Valve cover gasket came off in pieces as it was so brittle. Also replaced the spark plugs. Looked like **** despite the car only having 54k. Waiting on another (yet again delayed) order from ECS for a vacuum reservoir I broke, then I’ll be on my way.

Only hiccup, on the vacuum reservoir under the front of the intake manifold, there are three sensors/solenoids that mount on. The sensors are fine, but the plugs were so brittle that they all shattered to varying degrees upon removal.

TL;DR anyone know where to get replacement OEM plugs so I can replace the male portion of the connector, or maybe the plug and ~5” of harness so I can solder it in?

Vehicles
      04-08-2019 06:49 PM #7
      Ok. Got some time to research a little bit. With the power of the almighty google, I've determined that it's the wiring harness side of the plug for the EGR valve solenoid, the plug for the intake manifold shift rod flapper valve doo-hickey, and I'm still working on determining the third solenoid. All the diagrams I look at look like there's only provisions for two solenoids to mount to the damper (vacuum reservoir) that sits under the front of the intake manifold, but mine definitely has 3. So, gotta keep digging, and I gotta ask myself... Do I really need the EGR valve...?

https://ibb.co/mXmchpX

Last edited by TheRoyceWay; 04-08-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Vehicles
      04-14-2019 07:03 PM #8
      New vacuum reservoir went in, broken harness plugs repaired, and hung the core support/rad/AC/fan today. It’s a matter of routing the wiring, and piecing all the plastic bits back together now. Still need to source a new front bumper, some headlights, and a headlight washer nozzle. Almost ready to fire it up for the first time post accident. Also, need to pull the passenger fender off and put the new one I picked up on, but the side skirt has to come off first. Good progress!

11. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Silverado, ‘93 TX DPS SSP
      04-15-2019 02:37 PM #9
      Congrats on the car. You'll enjoy it.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 vw R32
      04-16-2019 02:14 AM #10
      I hadn't seen much about removing the egr valve (or seen much benefit to it) but I'm currently having issues with my secondary air injection system. I thought the pump wasn't working and they can be quite expensive for a new one (turned out it works, something else is going on) but I'd spend the $ I would of put on the pump toward a ecu flash with the code delete for the SAI (and probably the cat delete). Just a thought, Post some pics of the progress!
      2008 VW R32 #3193

Vehicles
      04-16-2019 11:36 AM #11
      MOAR PROGRESS.
      So I hung the core support/rad/AC/fan assembly/etc. on Sunday. If anyone is curious, the fan assembly for a MK5 jetta will work on the R32, only major difference is the R32 has some vents above the smaller aux fan, and two of the mounts don’t perfectly line up. Plugs and everything else are all the same. So I trimmed out the area that needed the vents (assuming for added flow), and fabbed up a temp solution on the mismatched mounts. Currently routing wiring/etc and plugging everything in. Still need some headlights, haven’t decided on whether I wanna fork over the big bucks to replace the factory Xenons, or if something aftermarket with LED Bulbs would suffice. I also did a temp repair (drift stitches) on the front bumper, as my plan is to reuse it until I source a replacement and have the front end resprayed.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. IT RUNS. It was a relief to hear it run for the first time. Purrs like a walrus. I had previously found chunks of the intake manifold in the head, playing hooky with the intake valves, so I had some concern about motor damage, but seems like all’s well on that front.

Still can’t get my phone to actually post the pictures so I’ll keep including the links. Let me know if they don’t work.

https://ibb.co/KW3wvMG
      https://ibb.co/QMwPGYS
      Last edited by TheRoyceWay; 04-16-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 12:27 PM #12
      Ok so I found a set of used xenon’s for a reasonable price on eBay so I snatched those. There’s a guy selling a euro spec R32 bumper near me, aince the euro bumper doesn’t have side markers or headlight washers, any insight as to how to eliminate those systems without causing dash lights for missing lights or w/e?

15. Yesterday 05:44 PM #13
      you should upgrade your intake one time lol

Vehicles
      Today 10:47 AM #14
      I thought about intake, but I think I’m going to wait until I make a decision on going FI or not. Want to make sure I get something that’ll work with the planned setup so I don’t have to buy it twice. Haven’t researched it much yet so that’s my first step after the car is back on the road.

Speaking of, all I’m waiting on is the headlights I ordered, and the replacement grill. Everything else is just about ready to be buttoned up.

I am determined to take it on the Leavenworth drive in June.