VWVortex.com - GLI/35th AE - Pros and Cons
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 63

    Thread: GLI/35th AE - Pros and Cons

    1. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-21-2019 03:04 PM #1
      so i am trying to find some information about the true differences between the GLI and the 35th AE.

      is it really just some wheels, stitching and some exterior badges for the AE? i heard a rumor that the AE will get a special color?

      i also read through the the pricing thread, but didnt find anything really talking about pricing. anyone know what pricing will be for the GLI? i am aware that they are making their way to dealers, but the VW site is literally no help, as it still states the car as "future model"

      i guess lastly, what is everyone really excited about? the GLI or the 35th?


      im looking to get rid of my MQB Tig and so far if i stay in the VW family, its narrowed down to the GLI or the Arteon...
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member VTECeateR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2000
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      10,970
      Vehicles
      '94 Laguna Blue Miata, '16 GTI, '16 CX-5 GT
      03-21-2019 03:22 PM #2
      The GLI is basically the Jetta version of the GTI Rabbit Edition EXCEPT that no exclusive colors are coming. Imagine a GLI S with some GLI35 badging, base gauge cluster, base radio, black mirrors, roof and trunk spoiler. It's absolutely disappointing. It's also the only GLI available with DCC, actually it's ONLY standard on that model line.

      No Adaptive Cruise Control, no digital Dash, no Beats audio. The GLI as a line is utterly disappointing in the US.
      2016 GTI


    4. 03-21-2019 03:39 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      its narrowed down to the GLI or the Arteon...
      If money is not an option Arteon 100% The GLI was the nicest Jetta for the longest time, and thats not the case anymore.

      GLI Does not have the following options that other Jetta now have or the GLI had in the past:

      -- Parking Sensors
      -- Heated Steering Wheel
      -- Heated Washer Nozzles
      -- GPS
      -- Adaptive Headlights or High Bean Assist
      -- Lane Assist
      -- Adaptive Cruse
      -- Trunk Shock (keeps if from flopping up and down when open)
      -- Heated Backseats
      -- Power port in the back
      -- Fog lights

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2004
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      389
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      03-21-2019 03:53 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Carl- View Post
      If money is not an option Arteon 100% The GLI was the nicest Jetta for the longest time, and thats not the case anymore.

      GLI Does not have the following options that other Jetta now have or the GLI had in the past:

      -- Parking Sensors
      -- Heated Steering Wheel
      -- Heated Washer Nozzles
      -- GPS
      -- Adaptive Headlights or High Bean Assist
      -- Lane Assist
      -- Adaptive Cruse
      -- Trunk Shock (keeps if from flopping up and down when open)
      -- Heated Backseats
      -- Power port in the back
      -- Fog lights

      Hard to compare the GLI to Arteon with such a different price point in my opinion. To get everything on your list in an Arteon you're probably talking about a $45k car. And you've listed many features that might be important to some and not at all to others. You can't win them all I guess.

      I also think it's more important to note that the GLI is intended to be the "driving enthustiast's" Jetta before it's the "nicest" Jetta. If you think about it, there's not a huge difference (~$2,000) in price between the SEL Premium and a GLI Autobahn. So you can't expect to get the bigger motor, independent rear suspension, nicer wheels etc. in addition to everything you want from the Premium for the small jump in price. I think if the GLI Autobahn had all of that stuff it would potentially price itself out of the market and when Sedan sales are already plummeting that's likely a risk just not worth taking right now.
      Last edited by dubonaire_B4; 03-21-2019 at 04:08 PM.

    7. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-21-2019 04:14 PM #5
      oh i know that im comparing completely different cars with the GLI and Arteon.

      but since the GLI is getting the 2.0L Gen 3 motor, THAT is what has me excited!!!

      but specifically, the 35th is really an "appearance package", which is good with me, cause i cannot stand those wheels hahahha
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    8. 03-21-2019 04:27 PM #6
      I really started struggling with this today. I've been waiting for this GLI to come out since is was announced last year. It came out almost 2 months ago now, and it wowed me. The styling is awesome, 35th wheels are cool, 228HP is nice, golf R brakes are a plus, and the price is fair.

      But is the price fair? On the surface, I thought anything below $30k for what I wanted was fair. 35th, grey, DSG. When I started seeing a few grand off MSRP for the black 6 speeds, I was even more excited. Then little things started popping up that didnt thrill me. Not only is there no digital cockpit in the 35th, the MDF(?) screen is less advanced than my 15 GTI...maybe even less than my 13 GLI. No CD player or satellite radio. I dont use either, but satellite should still be standard. The seats in my 15 GTI S have more functions than the new GLI35. Again, no big deal since I usually just set it once and never touch it again. Jettas have always bothered me with manual hood support and trunk lid things. My 15 GTI S has both. No rear vents. I dont have passengers in the back much so it's not a big deal, but it looks funny with just a blank spot in the center.

      So all of these minor things add up for me. I paid $24,500 for my 15 GTI S. Is it worth it to pay ~$4k more for 18HP, DCC, and R brakes while losing the gauge cluster, satellite radio, CD player, rear vents, hood and trunk things, seat controls, and plaid seats? I dont know if I can justify it. Maybe when the prices drop in a few months, I can justify it. Not right now though.

    9. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-21-2019 04:32 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by brownogti24 View Post
      I really started struggling with this today. I've been waiting for this GLI to come out since is was announced last year. It came out almost 2 months ago now, and it wowed me. The styling is awesome, 35th wheels are cool, 228HP is nice, golf R brakes are a plus, and the price is fair.

      But is the price fair? On the surface, I thought anything below $30k for what I wanted was fair. 35th, grey, DSG. When I started seeing a few grand off MSRP for the black 6 speeds, I was even more excited. Then little things started popping up that didnt thrill me. Not only is there no digital cockpit in the 35th, the MDF(?) screen is less advanced than my 15 GTI...maybe even less than my 13 GLI. No CD player or satellite radio. I dont use either, but satellite should still be standard. The seats in my 15 GTI S have more functions than the new GLI35. Again, no big deal since I usually just set it once and never touch it again. Jettas have always bothered me with manual hood support and trunk lid things. My 15 GTI S has both. No rear vents. I dont have passengers in the back much so it's not a big deal, but it looks funny with just a blank spot in the center.

      So all of these minor things add up for me. I paid $24,500 for my 15 GTI S. Is it worth it to pay ~$4k more for 18HP, DCC, and R brakes while losing the gauge cluster, satellite radio, CD player, rear vents, hood and trunk things, seat controls, and plaid seats? I dont know if I can justify it. Maybe when the prices drop in a few months, I can justify it. Not right now though.
      thank you for typing this up!

      so does the GLI AND 35th NOT have rear vents? or just the 35th?
      as of right now, my thinking is that the 35th is not the way to go....and until the Arteon hits dealers and i can actually compare the two, its the GLI Autobahn so far...

      but you keep mentioning the price point and 4k difference, do we know what price point will be for the GLI AB?
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 20th, 2008
      Location
      The south
      Posts
      530
      Vehicles
      Jetta Sport - 12' A5
      03-21-2019 04:35 PM #8
      For me personally..not worth the near 30k with what is lacking. (and depreciation)
      coupled with the underwhelming styling
      Will probably be looking at cpo audis

    11. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-21-2019 04:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by wogeboy View Post
      For me personally..not worth the near 30k with what is lacking. (and depreciation)
      coupled with the underwhelming styling
      Will probably be looking at cpo audis
      thats two of the other cars on my list that im looking at.

      currently im shopping around for the following (no particular order)
      1. GLI (autobahn or 35th)
      2. Arteon
      3. used A7
      4. used A5 sportback
      5. BMW 550i

      honestly, i have always had VW's, which is why im considering them. my first car was a Corrado G60, so VW has always had a soft spot in my heart.

      but i hear ya there. value over time will be held with an Audi. VW, not so much.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2004
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      389
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      03-21-2019 04:41 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by brownogti24 View Post
      I really started struggling with this today. I've been waiting for this GLI to come out since is was announced last year. It came out almost 2 months ago now, and it wowed me. The styling is awesome, 35th wheels are cool, 228HP is nice, golf R brakes are a plus, and the price is fair.

      But is the price fair? On the surface, I thought anything below $30k for what I wanted was fair. 35th, grey, DSG. When I started seeing a few grand off MSRP for the black 6 speeds, I was even more excited. Then little things started popping up that didnt thrill me. Not only is there no digital cockpit in the 35th, the MDF(?) screen is less advanced than my 15 GTI...maybe even less than my 13 GLI. No CD player or satellite radio. I dont use either, but satellite should still be standard. The seats in my 15 GTI S have more functions than the new GLI35. Again, no big deal since I usually just set it once and never touch it again. Jettas have always bothered me with manual hood support and trunk lid things. My 15 GTI S has both. No rear vents. I dont have passengers in the back much so it's not a big deal, but it looks funny with just a blank spot in the center.

      So all of these minor things add up for me. I paid $24,500 for my 15 GTI S. Is it worth it to pay ~$4k more for 18HP, DCC, and R brakes while losing the gauge cluster, satellite radio, CD player, rear vents, hood and trunk things, seat controls, and plaid seats? I dont know if I can justify it. Maybe when the prices drop in a few months, I can justify it. Not right now though.

      I totally understand this. And it's definitely frustrating once you start picking apart today's cars and realizing certain features that have been forgone compared to even past models. However, you have to also take into consideration what you are getting and the price you're getting it for. I'm sure the decisions aren't easy for VW either but they have a responsibility to keep up to date and sometimes that means include what the marketplace suggests people want over what the drivers may actually want. The industry is more competitive than ever and they need to hit the mark when it comes to pricing or it could be real bad over a couple years if cars are sitting on lots.

    13. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-21-2019 04:47 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by dubonaire_B4 View Post
      I totally understand this. And it's definitely frustrating once you start picking apart today's cars and realizing certain features that have been forgone compared to even past models. However, you have to also take into consideration what you are getting and the price you're getting it for. I'm sure the decisions aren't easy for VW either but they have a responsibility to keep up to date and sometimes that means include what the marketplace suggests people want over what the drivers may actually want. The industry is more competitive than ever and they need to hit the mark when it comes to pricing or it could be real bad over a couple years if cars are sitting on lots.
      exactly this!
      just take a look at the Alfa Romeos that are all getting a 15k price drop just to move 3+ year old BRAND NEW CARS off the lot


      i also may just think about waiting a year. im sure the GLI Autobahn will be sold the following model year with DCC installed AND it will come with a price drop and possibly some incentives to keep buying the "not so new" new car.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2004
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      389
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      03-21-2019 05:21 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      thank you for typing this up!

      so does the GLI AND 35th NOT have rear vents? or just the 35th?
      as of right now, my thinking is that the 35th is not the way to go....and until the Arteon hits dealers and i can actually compare the two, its the GLI Autobahn so far...

      but you keep mentioning the price point and 4k difference, do we know what price point will be for the GLI AB?
      MSRP on the autobahn is $29,995 with 7 speed DSG not including any destination charges and optional equipment. Pretty Impressive actually when you consider that it's 7 THOUSAND dollars less than GTI Autobahn. This is good added perspective to the topic earlier in this thread about what this car DOESN'T have. The GTI does have a few of the options and features listed that some believe the GLI is lacking.
      Last edited by dubonaire_B4; 03-21-2019 at 05:24 PM.

    15. 03-21-2019 05:23 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      thank you for typing this up!

      so does the GLI AND 35th NOT have rear vents? or just the 35th?
      as of right now, my thinking is that the 35th is not the way to go....and until the Arteon hits dealers and i can actually compare the two, its the GLI Autobahn so far...

      but you keep mentioning the price point and 4k difference, do we know what price point will be for the GLI AB?
      I dont believe any trim has rear vents. I think there is more value to the AB than there is with the 35th. Leather, digital cockpit, larger infotainment, and sunroof for just slightly more money. However, the little accents to the 35th draw me in. If i was someone who was used to selling current wheels and buying new wheels, I might not mind going with the AB. The black roof and black rear spoiler, although gimmicky, does add some sportiness to the car too. I could either spend slightly less for a 35th and be happy with styling while being a little disappointed in comfort features, or spend more for the AB, try to swap out wheels, be slightly less impressed with the look, and be wowed by the comfort features.

      Why cant they just give us what we want like they do in Canada and Mexico? I guess it works for them.

      I think the AB starts at slightly under $30k for manual. The other thread should have the price. You can also find them on cars.com

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2004
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      389
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      03-21-2019 05:27 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by brownogti24 View Post
      I dont believe any trim has rear vents. I think there is more value to the AB than there is with the 35th. Leather, digital cockpit, larger infotainment, and sunroof for just slightly more money. However, the little accents to the 35th draw me in. If i was someone who was used to selling current wheels and buying new wheels, I might not mind going with the AB. The black roof and black rear spoiler, although gimmicky, does add some sportiness to the car too. I could either spend slightly less for a 35th and be happy with styling while being a little disappointed in comfort features, or spend more for the AB, try to swap out wheels, be slightly less impressed with the look, and be wowed by the comfort features.

      Why cant they just give us what we want like they do in Canada and Mexico? I guess it works for them.

      I think the AB starts at slightly under $30k for manual. The other thread should have the price. You can also find them on cars.com

      FWIW having the mirrors and roof professionally wrapped in gloss black would be pretty inexpensive. And like you mentioned, the wheels are easy if you're willing to take the time to sell them. I just think these are easy enough upgrades that it's silly to go the other way and downgrade everything else and go with the 35 over the Autobahn.

    17. 03-21-2019 06:13 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by dubonaire_B4 View Post
      FWIW having the mirrors and roof professionally wrapped in gloss black would be pretty inexpensive. And like you mentioned, the wheels are easy if you're willing to take the time to sell them. I just think these are easy enough upgrades that it's silly to go the other way and downgrade everything else and go with the 35 over the Autobahn.
      You do make a good case for the AB over the 35th. But as simple as it may sound to make a few mods, I know I'll never get around to it. I just cant get myself to put money into a car after I buy it. If I'm looking at the right numbers, the AB in the grey with DSG is $2k more than the 35th. If I were to swap wheels and wrap roof for, let's just say $1k, now its $3k more. Although the value is still good, $3k isnt anything to sneeze at.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2004
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      389
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      03-21-2019 06:19 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by brownogti24 View Post
      You do make a good case for the AB over the 35th. But as simple as it may sound to make a few mods, I know I'll never get around to it. I just cant get myself to put money into a car after I buy it. If I'm looking at the right numbers, the AB in the grey with DSG is $2k more than the 35th. If I were to swap wheels and wrap roof for, let's just say $1k, now its $3k more. Although the value is still good, $3k isnt anything to sneeze at.
      I totally hear you. I don't like to tell people how to spend their money. I approach all of my advice strictly from a devil's advocate point of view. At the end of the day it's your decision.

      My only suggestion is maybe drive both before you decide. They're going to "feel" like two completely different cars in my opinion. Not the actual drive but the difference the leather, digital cockpit and 8" radio provide make you think you're in a car that's a lot nicer than just $2k more than the other. My two cents and of course at the end of the day, you'll make a logical decision based on your own perception and budget. Up to you if ~$30/mo is worth that difference.
      Last edited by dubonaire_B4; 03-21-2019 at 06:22 PM.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2003
      Posts
      857
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      03-21-2019 09:51 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by brownogti24 View Post
      I really started struggling with this today. I've been waiting for this GLI to come out since is was announced last year. It came out almost 2 months ago now, and it wowed me. The styling is awesome, 35th wheels are cool, 228HP is nice, golf R brakes are a plus, and the price is fair.

      But is the price fair? On the surface, I thought anything below $30k for what I wanted was fair. 35th, grey, DSG. When I started seeing a few grand off MSRP for the black 6 speeds, I was even more excited. Then little things started popping up that didnt thrill me. Not only is there no digital cockpit in the 35th, the MDF(?) screen is less advanced than my 15 GTI...maybe even less than my 13 GLI. No CD player or satellite radio. I dont use either, but satellite should still be standard. The seats in my 15 GTI S have more functions than the new GLI35. Again, no big deal since I usually just set it once and never touch it again. Jettas have always bothered me with manual hood support and trunk lid things. My 15 GTI S has both. No rear vents. I dont have passengers in the back much so it's not a big deal, but it looks funny with just a blank spot in the center.

      So all of these minor things add up for me. I paid $24,500 for my 15 GTI S. Is it worth it to pay ~$4k more for 18HP, DCC, and R brakes while losing the gauge cluster, satellite radio, CD player, rear vents, hood and trunk things, seat controls, and plaid seats? I dont know if I can justify it. Maybe when the prices drop in a few months, I can justify it. Not right now though.
      Wait for either the next gen GTI or at least the 2020, which might have the digital cockpit. The GLI is like $2k cheaper, that's gotta come from somewhere.

    20. 03-21-2019 10:33 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
      Wait for either the next gen GTI or at least the 2020, which might have the digital cockpit. The GLI is like $2k cheaper, that's gotta come from somewhere.
      Lack of foglights is disappointing as well. Autobahn trim include? I don't see any foglamps on any GLI pics


      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    21. 03-22-2019 04:54 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
      Wait for either the next gen GTI or at least the 2020, which might have the digital cockpit. The GLI is like $2k cheaper, that's gotta come from somewhere.
      I think I might be done with GTIs. In on my 6th golf (4th GTI) now, but I have to say goodbye to the hatch.
      I understand cost cutting, and compared to the GTI, the GLI is a great value. When you cost cut, I dont think going backward in technology is the way to go though. I think removing the CD player and not having a digital cockpit, leather, or sunroof is fine. But dont go back 10 years on the MDF screen.

    22. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-22-2019 09:14 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by dubonaire_B4 View Post
      FWIW having the mirrors and roof professionally wrapped in gloss black would be pretty inexpensive. And like you mentioned, the wheels are easy if you're willing to take the time to sell them. I just think these are easy enough upgrades that it's silly to go the other way and downgrade everything else and go with the 35 over the Autobahn.
      this is pretty much where i am at now.
      getting the AB and then down the road pick up some aftermarket wheels and do minor mods will get it where i want it. i have always modded my car, so for me its a matter of time when the mods come.

      given the price point of the GLI, i think that rules out pretty much any other new car. especially an Audi or BMW. i would literally spend, at a minimum, DOUBLE the price tag of a GLI AB. i guess now the question is what will the Arteon look like and its price point. as of now though, the GLI AB is the front runner.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    23. Member OZ.IN.USA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2011
      Location
      Ardmore PA
      Posts
      652
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta Wagon 1.8T, 08 Jetta SE, 16 Jetta SEL. RIP Jetta 91:278K, 97:144K, 98 TDI:404K
      03-22-2019 10:56 AM #21
      Features unique to the GLI 35 include:

      DCC Adaptive Chassis Control
      Exclusive black 18-inch wheels with red trim stripe
      Black painted roof
      Black painted rear spoiler
      Black painted exterior mirror caps
      GLI 35 front fender badging
      GLI 35 seat tags
      GLI 35 scuff plates
      GLI 35 carpeted floor mats
      Jim L VW Certified Sales Master since 1999 Why can't we have (ROW market VWs)? America doesn't get it because... America doesn't get it!

    24. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-22-2019 12:17 PM #22
      well, for the states, it seems the AB trim is the best bet if the price is right.
      which sucks, i would have loved to get the 35th, but to be missing out on everything else just sucks.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    25. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-25-2019 09:29 AM #23
      i'm pretty close with my local VW dealer where i am, so i texted the GM asking if he had any MK7 GLI's on the lot and he did!

      grabbed the wife and drove in, they had 2 35th AE's, one in pure white with manual and another in pure black with DSG. took the DSG out as the white one was on the showroom floor.

      let me tell you, this car is AMAZING!!! i had absolutely no problems putting all 228hp down to the road and the XDS handled every bit of the 268tq. the car on some twisties was absolutely phenomenal!!! extremely planted and no give with the suspension and steering was extremely responsive and precise.

      the GLI checked all of our boxes, wife and i are pregnant and expecting May 30th, so going away from my 2018 Tiguan has been her biggest concern. but the amount of room in the trunk and the back seat we quickly didn't worry about space any longer.

      appearance wise, the white one really stood out as i'm sure you all can imagine with the black roof, mirrors and spoiler. the wheels actually weren't such an eye sore for me as i thought they would be. but i was taken back on how much i liked the black, on black on black! i think all of the red accents with the badging, brake calipers and wheels really made it stand out even more.


      the only problems we had, how bare bones the 35th AE felt. even my wife made the comment that we would be losing A LOT from my SE 4Motion Tiguan and that i should wait for the Autobahn to be released.
      it was really disappointing, as the interior really felt like it was lacking in almost every department. the extremely small screen for the radio, no satellite or HD stations. no sunroof, although not a deal breaker for me but you could definitely tell it was missing or at the very least SOMETHING was supposed to be up there. the lack of any shocks on the hood made it feel extremely dated as well and the interior, although looked good with the small little tag saying "35th" just seemed to be a lower version of the Clark plaid seats that the GTI got. it just felt out of place with a car such as the GLI.

      all in all, this car was amazing to drive but with the 35th AE here in the states, definitely wait until the other trims are released.

      to that point, thanking my wife for controlling my impulsiveness to buy cars that i don't really need, i now have an Autobahn GLI on order. it should be here with in 4 weeks and will be trading in my 4Motion Tiguan SE at that time.

      this is the way the Jetta should have been released so if anyone is having any reservations about this GLI, DON'T! you will love it with the GTI motor, .:R brakes and the XDS differential.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    26. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2014
      Location
      KS
      Posts
      663
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-27-2019 01:09 PM #24
      so, just doing my due diligence, i have started looking at the Honda Accord Grand Touring 2.0l
      anyone have any experience with Hondas? specifically their newer Accords? they are priced similarly but i have never owned a Honda before, will most likely go and check one out, they look pretty good IMO too...
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

    27. 03-27-2019 03:45 PM #25
      I'm in the market, or almost as my lease ends in couple of months. I had an Accord V6 Vtec coupe that drove very smooth and in general was a pleasure.
      However, it was still a boring car ! Accords were never in the athletic sport car realm, more of a cushy, smooth and reliable family car. Too boring in the end.
      Sure, it was still better than total buttery and numb ride from Camry, but nowhere near the fun of the previous gen GLI I had.
      I've been watching some reviews of these new Accords with 1.5T and 2.0T engines, and my take from them is that the Accord hasn't changed all that much
      from the fun perspective, or luck rather luck of much of it. It's a great car, but if you enjoy driving and having a little bit of fun I'd be skeptical.
      Also, at the prices they ask for these better turbo equipped ones, I doubt it would be good comparison against something
      like GLI or GTI. You should test drive just to make sure, as the car is very good for what it is, but it's a different thing altogether most likely.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. 04 GLi 1.8T - pros and cons please!
      By tdiology in forum Golf IV & Jetta IV
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 09-17-2011, 12:36 AM
    2. REVO or APR chip for 04.5' GLI 1.8T?? Pros and Cons of each...
      By asbGLI04 in forum GTI 337/20th Anniversary/Jetta GLI Forum
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 10-28-2004, 08:40 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •