Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GLI/35th AE - Pros and Cons

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-27-2019 04:37 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by henryd31 View Post
      I'm in the market, or almost as my lease ends in couple of months. I had an Accord V6 Vtec coupe that drove very smooth and in general was a pleasure.
      However, it was still a boring car ! Accords were never in the athletic sport car realm, more of a cushy, smooth and reliable family car. Too boring in the end.
      Sure, it was still better than total buttery and numb ride from Camry, but nowhere near the fun of the previous gen GLI I had.
      I've been watching some reviews of these new Accords with 1.5T and 2.0T engines, and my take from them is that the Accord hasn't changed all that much
      from the fun perspective, or luck rather luck of much of it. It's a great car, but if you enjoy driving and having a little bit of fun I'd be skeptical.
      Also, at the prices they ask for these better turbo equipped ones, I doubt it would be good comparison against something
      like GLI or GTI. You should test drive just to make sure, as the car is very good for what it is, but it's a different thing altogether most likely.
      thanks for your response! i understand what you are saying and that was my initial worry is that it would be a great car, just too soft.
      i think i will still give one a test drive, but you pretty much confirmed what i was already thinking.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      03-28-2019 06:16 PM #27
      I agree that it may suck that the new Jetta doesn't have these features, considering that the GTI has them too and now they're closer than ever. But you have to remember, if you don't want the experience of driving a car you can always buy a Tesla or a Camry... The Arteon is priced right in my opinion. It's got a longer warranty than it's competitors and offers the understated luxury that some people are looking for. Think of it like a Touareg. A lot of people are complaining that they don't make these anymore but they weren't coming in and buying them. These cars are just that, Halo cars. Not meant to be a volume breaker but for the person with a lot of money that doesn't want to be brand flashy - these are perfect.
      [/B][/I][/COLOR]IG ekstase91k
      2016 Audi S4 manual - dual pulley APR stage 2 | 2018 VW Tiguan S - Wheels | 1996 Golf Cabrio - SOLD | 2008 Rabbit Manual - The Daily
      RIP 1997 GTI VR6

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      03-28-2019 07:33 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by henryd31 View Post
      I'm in the market, or almost as my lease ends in couple of months. I had an Accord V6 Vtec coupe that drove very smooth and in general was a pleasure.
      However, it was still a boring car ! Accords were never in the athletic sport car realm, more of a cushy, smooth and reliable family car. Too boring in the end.
      Sure, it was still better than total buttery and numb ride from Camry, but nowhere near the fun of the previous gen GLI I had.
      I've been watching some reviews of these new Accords with 1.5T and 2.0T engines, and my take from them is that the Accord hasn't changed all that much
      from the fun perspective, or luck rather luck of much of it. It's a great car, but if you enjoy driving and having a little bit of fun I'd be skeptical.
      Also, at the prices they ask for these better turbo equipped ones, I doubt it would be good comparison against something
      like GLI or GTI. You should test drive just to make sure, as the car is very good for what it is, but it's a different thing altogether most likely.
      Honda interiors look nice in photos but are disappointing when you sit in them. Not sure why that is. Fords are like this but worse.

I don't think Accords are boring unless compared to something like the GLI. Compared to Camry, Altima etc, they are more sporty.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta Wagon 1.8T, 08 Jetta SE, 16 Jetta SEL. RIP Jetta 91:278K, 97:144K, 98 TDI:404K
      03-29-2019 12:09 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ekstase91k View Post
      I agree that it may suck that the new Jetta doesn't have these features, considering that the GTI has them too and now they're closer than ever. But you have to remember, if you don't want the experience of driving a car you can always buy a Tesla or a Camry... The Arteon is priced right in my opinion. It's got a longer warranty than it's competitors and offers the understated luxury that some people are looking for. Think of it like a Touareg. A lot of people are complaining that they don't make these anymore but they weren't coming in and buying them. These cars are just that, Halo cars. Not meant to be a volume breaker but for the person with a lot of money that doesn't want to be brand flashy - these are perfect.

"A lot of people are complaining that they don't make these anymore".

They are most certainly made...just not for North America. Why? See me signature.
      Jim L VW Certified Sales Master since 1999 Why can't we have (ROW market VWs)? America doesn't get it because... America doesn't get it!

Vehicles
      18 Accord Sport 2.0T, 02 TT ALMS, 2017 Acura MDX (wife)
      03-29-2019 04:01 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      thanks for your response! i understand what you are saying and that was my initial worry is that it would be a great car, just too soft.
      i think i will still give one a test drive, but you pretty much confirmed what i was already thinking.
      I had an MK6 GLI and I loved it, but since the MK7 was not out yet I opted to get an 18 Accord Sport with a 10A and 2.0T. The 1.5T was very boring, but the 2.0T with slightly larger brakes and fun power makes the car enjoyable. The handling is not soft but is definitely tuned more to the comfort side. It handles well enough on the back roads but the real problem with the car is getting it not to tear apart the front tires. The front end of the car is from early 90's fwd tech I joke to friends. Even the MK6 I had was better planted when getting on the gas hard, torque steer is controlled but that's the only good thing I can say. The tech in the car is great though and getting the car down to a tick over $27K made it a great deal for the power and comfort the car gives me daily.

After all when I really want to have fun I still have my 02 TT that is blast with its mods.
      Current: Me: 18 Accord Spot 2.0T & 02 Audi TT ALMS Wife: 2017 Acura MDX
      Past VAG vehicles: 15 GLI, 13 and 10 CC Sport, 2001 Jetta GLX, 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, 2007 Jetta GLI, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      03-29-2019 06:52 PM #31
      I'm shopping a GLI vs 2.0T Accord right now. It tough, and VW offers a few things financially (early lease buyout, saving me $$) that may sway me toward the GLI, but the Accord overall seems like the better proposition by a hair. I think the rear half of the Accord is off-putting, and the GLI's overall look is a bit better. However the GLI's cheap car roots still show through, with abundant hard plastic, and many other cut corners, while the Accord is built to a higher standard on par with the Golf. The Jetta is roomy for it's size, but the Accord is just plain huge inside. And the Accord has many more features than the GLI, including adaptive cruise control (even with a stick). But what may just sell me on it is the fact that the Accord makes more HP and equal torque on regular gas. And the fact that in 10 years of hard driving the Accord is likely to be totally reliable and still have good value while the GLI will have problems and be worth nothing.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 sport, 2016 passat se
      03-30-2019 08:11 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by MazdaRehab View Post
      I'm shopping a GLI vs 2.0T Accord right now. It tough, and VW offers a few things financially (early lease buyout, saving me $$) that may sway me toward the GLI, but the Accord overall seems like the better proposition by a hair. I think the rear half of the Accord is off-putting, and the GLI's overall look is a bit better. However the GLI's cheap car roots still show through, with abundant hard plastic, and many other cut corners, while the Accord is built to a higher standard on par with the Golf. The Jetta is roomy for it's size, but the Accord is just plain huge inside. And the Accord has many more features than the GLI, including adaptive cruise control (even with a stick). But what may just sell me on it is the fact that the Accord makes more HP and equal torque on regular gas. And the fact that in 10 years of hard driving the Accord is likely to be totally reliable and still have good value while the GLI will have problems and be worth nothing.
      My brother was in same situation.. He picked up the Accord 2 weeks ago. He was 50/50 but now that he has the accord he is thrilled. Nicer interior and just well put together. Good Luck

9. 03-31-2019 12:56 PM #33
      I was at the dealer yesterday and I wasn’t impressed with the 35th. Cloth seats. No digital cluster like the newer vehicles, touch screen is smaller then the SEL, basic shift knob and was he wheels don’t look that good. It has a 2.0t motor but I think it is extremely underwhelming

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta Execline (SEL-P)
      03-31-2019 04:22 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by vwmafia13 View Post
      I was at the dealer yesterday and I wasn’t impressed with the 35th. Cloth seats. No digital cluster like the newer vehicles, touch screen is smaller then the SEL, basic shift knob and was he wheels don’t look that good. It has a 2.0t motor but I think it is extremely underwhelming
      I can't believe that the US model is just so different from the Canadian one. 35th here has leather, digital cockpit, and well frankly I think it has everything the top end execline has except the fog lights. At least once you add the options anyways.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      03-31-2019 07:13 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
      I can't believe that the US model is just so different from the Canadian one. 35th here has leather, digital cockpit, and well frankly I think it has everything the top end execline has except the fog lights. At least once you add the options anyways.
      Yeah, they must think Americans are stupid. "Throw some red trim and different wheels on there, they'll buy it!"

And putting DCC only on the lame 35th is doubly stupid. You'll have a lot of people like me waiting for next year's Autobahn with DCC, but then something else will come out from a competitor, and they'll lose a sale.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      04-01-2019 08:35 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
      Yeah, they must think Americans are stupid. "Throw some red trim and different wheels on there, they'll buy it!"

And putting DCC only on the lame 35th is doubly stupid. You'll have a lot of people like me waiting for next year's Autobahn with DCC, but then something else will come out from a competitor, and they'll lose a sale.
      VW has a much larger market share in Canada. The market is the US is too competitive to build these cars prioritizing anything above price point. It certainly sucks but, it's the bed we've made.

13. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-01-2019 08:56 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
      i wish there was a way to bring a Canadian GLI 35th over to the states! i would love to have that, but unfortunately its either the AutoBahn or nothing at all for the GLI.
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

Vehicles
      `16 Jetta Sport 1.8T
      04-01-2019 09:58 AM #38
      Anyone else not care for the red pin strip on the wheels of the 35th? I don't hate it, but its one of those things I am not overly fond of either. Sure would be nice if it was offered as loaded up as the autobahn is. I drove the 35th and I liked it, yeah it feels kinda "base" but the way it drove I almost didn't care. Hopefully incentives come out soon as I would really like to trade my F150 in for the autobahn.
      16 Jetta Sport 1.8T 5spd
      17 F150 2.7 ecoboost 4wd RCSB - Tuned by BCB
      88 Corvette

15. 04-01-2019 02:02 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by dubonaire_B4 View Post
      Hard to compare the GLI to Arteon with such a different price point in my opinion. To get everything on your list in an Arteon you're probably talking about a $45k car. And you've listed many features that might be important to some and not at all to others. You can't win them all I guess.

I also think it's more important to note that the GLI is intended to be the "driving enthustiast's" Jetta before it's the "nicest" Jetta. If you think about it, there's not a huge difference (~$2,000) in price between the SEL Premium and a GLI Autobahn. So you can't expect to get the bigger motor, independent rear suspension, nicer wheels etc. in addition to everything you want from the Premium for the small jump in price. I think if the GLI Autobahn had all of that stuff it would potentially price itself out of the market and when Sedan sales are already plummeting that's likely a risk just not worth taking right now.
      At $45K, it's about $18k more than my ordered GLI. Not sure I'd spend that much more cash on a VW, would go B9 S4 used.

16. 04-01-2019 02:04 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      Anyone else not care for the red pin strip on the wheels of the 35th? I don't hate it, but its one of those things I am not overly fond of either. Sure would be nice if it was offered as loaded up as the autobahn is. I drove the 35th and I liked it, yeah it feels kinda "base" but the way it drove I almost didn't care. Hopefully incentives come out soon as I would really like to trade my F150 in for the autobahn.
      Red strip is a bit racer-like. Autobahn will appeal to more buyers down the road when resell comes about.

17. 04-01-2019 02:07 PM #41

Nothing confirmed about DCC coming to 2020s across the board, right?. VW has been known to scrap options (HIDs in MK6 GLI).

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      04-01-2019 06:22 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by 8MM Ducks View Post
      Nothing confirmed about DCC coming to 2020s across the board, right?. VW has been known to scrap options (HIDs in MK6 GLI).
      Nothing confirmed or even rumored. Also I assume the price will go up if they add DCC. Not having tried it I don't know if it's a must have.

Would be odd to offer it only in the 1st year 35th and not add it to regular GLIs.

19. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-02-2019 09:33 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Helltime View Post
      im in total agreement here. everything looks great on the car except that damn red strip on the wheels. for me, its not that it looks "too ricer" but it just looks cheap, as an after thought trying to make the car stand out when the features of the car do that all on its own. kinda distracting IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 8MM Ducks View Post
      Nothing confirmed or even rumored. Also I assume the price will go up if they add DCC. Not having tried it I don't know if it's a must have.

Would be odd to offer it only in the 1st year 35th and not add it to regular GLIs.

yea, strangely, there is NOT a lot of talk going on about the GLI and its future options and trims. kinda strange to me, even with the MQB Tiguan, by this time we already knew what the next year would include or not. maybe they are just wanting to keep the attention on this model year to increase first year sales?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 Jetta SEL
      04-02-2019 10:27 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post

yea, strangely, there is NOT a lot of talk going on about the GLI and its future options and trims. kinda strange to me, even with the MQB Tiguan, by this time we already knew what the next year would include or not. maybe they are just wanting to keep the attention on this model year to increase first year sales?
      I'm gonna question this a little. You're saying a week after 18's hit the dealer lots you knew what the 19's would include?

21. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-02-2019 10:32 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by dubonaire_B4 View Post
      I'm gonna question this a little. You're saying a week after 18's hit the dealer lots you knew what the 19's would include?
      well, not necessarily a WEEK after, but the MK7 Jetta has been out for a minute now.
      usually around summertime rumor mills start going about what is changing for the next year.

the GLI should be no different, but i do agree for the GLI it may be sometime before we hear rumors. but by October, yea, i expect to hear things for the 2020 GLI.

Vehicles
      2009 VW CC LUXURY, 2010 VW PASSAT (sold), 2006 VW GLI (sold), 2000 Audi A6 (my first love)
      04-02-2019 11:42 AM #46
      Since I skimmed through this, and I don't think I saw it. The GLI AB has the digital cockpit and the 35th ED does not. I do not like the AB edition wheels, my preference but the leather seats and Digital cockpit is definitely a nice feature.
      2009 VW CC Luxury 2.0T / Reflex Silver: Mods: Depot/Helix S5 Projectors / Deautoled HID Kit / Deautoled LED Fogs / Euro Headlight Switch /
      LEDGLOW Red LED Footwell lighting / VW Sports Springs / Custom Black Headliner/Pillars
      Gone but not forgotten: 2010 VW Passat 2.0T / 2006 VW GLI 2.0T 6MT (fun to drive) / 2000 AUDI A6 2.8 / 1985 BMW 325i

Vehicles
      Mk6 Jetta GLI - Edition 30
      04-02-2019 11:48 AM #47
      I think Canada or Mexico gets the AE dcc feature along with the digital cockpit, leather seats, beats audio and a sunroof. Pretty much what everyone seems to want in the US with the autobahn trim. Also I saw those AE wheels up close and they look meh, you can’t remove that strip either. I would take the AB over those red ones or see how it would look with 18” Pretoria’s which are only $300-$350 at the moment.
      Last edited by GLI Edition 30; 04-03-2019 at 07:30 PM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 gli autobahn/with nav mt
      04-02-2019 04:57 PM #48
      the wheels are really like cool man!almost as cool as this guy's,but not quite.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacA3T1Jd_0
      (10:45)

25. 04-03-2019 07:27 AM #49
      The specs in the US are maddening. I've been considering a CPO 2017 GTI Sport or a 2019 Rabbit. But for marginally more than the Rabbit, a GLI AB has leather, sunroof, better infotainment, digital dash, power driver seat. A GTI AB similarly equipped is thousands more. What gives?

Tim

26. 04-03-2019 07:45 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by timmytva View Post
      A GTI AB similarly equipped is thousands more. What gives?

Tim
      The GLI AB doesn't have "Hot Hatch" as a spec.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast