Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mk7 GLI 35 Canada edition | First impressions

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '19 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      04-08-2019 08:17 AM #51
      New owner here. 200 miles on the odometer. Funny, but my favorite part of this car is something nobody mentioned yet….the sublimely smooth 6MT. Perhaps this is because my last car was a Honda (V6-6MT). Honda’s horrible drive-by-wire software made it very difficult to coordinate the throttle and clutch smoothly. It’s rhythm, if that word makes sense in this context, would endlessly change based on rpm and load. Plus the clutch had a delay valve to prevent “too quick of a release” and hurt any fast shifting. And lastly, Honda’s sychros hate fast shifts.

But the GLI/GTI’s clutch feel is so perfect - light, smooth, consistent. I know my opinion does not count for much, but in the last 6-months of car research, I drove a MT Mustang, a few Genesis G70s, a Mazda6, Type R Civic, 2.0T Accord, and a WRX. In the first few seconds driving a GLI I could tell it had the best MT of all those cars mentioned, by a wide margin. Even driving this GLI slowly is a pure joy.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Jetta S, 2007 BMW R1200R
      04-08-2019 04:06 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by 6MTGLI View Post
      New owner here. 200 miles on the odometer. Funny, but my favorite part of this car is something nobody mentioned yet….the sublimely smooth 6MT. Perhaps this is because my last car was a Honda (V6-6MT). Honda’s horrible drive-by-wire software made it very difficult to coordinate the throttle and clutch smoothly. It’s rhythm, if that word makes sense in this context, would endlessly change based on rpm and load. Plus the clutch had a delay valve to prevent “too quick of a release” and hurt any fast shifting. And lastly, Honda’s sychros hate fast shifts.

But the GLI/GTI’s clutch feel is so perfect - light, smooth, consistent. I know my opinion does not count for much, but in the last 6-months of car research, I drove a MT Mustang, a few Genesis G70s, a Mazda6, Type R Civic, 2.0T Accord, and a WRX. In the first few seconds driving a GLI I could tell it had the best MT of all those cars mentioned, by a wide margin. Even driving this GLI slowly is a pure joy.
      I agree. The shifting is light (if a bit notchy), and the synchros unbeatable. The clutch is light, smooth, and consistent. Those aspects of the car could hardly be improved.
      David
      Santa Cruz CA

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-08-2019 06:33 PM #53
      I work in a Ford Dealership and there is no comparison. The clutches and shiftters on the Mustangs, ST, RS all feel heavy and rough. Feels like you need to fight for your gears. Not so on the GLI, it's smooth as butter all day long!

5. 04-10-2019 11:37 PM #54
      Few new things added on today. Front licence plate mount, OEM wind deflectors and VW tire valve stem covers.

Also, I think I've landed on my favorite colour scheme. Just love how the interior looks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '19 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      04-11-2019 07:33 AM #55

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      04-11-2019 09:02 AM #56
      Good review. While I'd personally rather pay $1600 more and have the GTI's better interior, you can't argue with the cost savings. We need more affordable performance in our market - not everyone has $40k to spend.

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-11-2019 11:23 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by MediocreCanadian View Post
      Few new things added on today. Front licence plate mount, OEM wind deflectors and VW tire valve stem covers.

looks good. I did the wind deflectors too. mine are still triggering the pinch protection a few days later. They will work in eventually....

are the caps metal or plastic? I've had the metal ones on my previous car and they seized on due to the elements in the winter.

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-11-2019 12:07 PM #58
      The problem with that article in this thread is that it is reviewing the USA version. The Canadian version interior fixes most of their problems.

No molded stitch dash, it is soft touch materials for example. The digital cluster is standard as well.

The 35th in Canada is essentially the USA's autobhaun with the 35 apperance package.

Us Canadians really won on this one. I wouldn't have bought this car if it was equipped like the USA car.

10. 04-11-2019 12:53 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Wiredin View Post
      Us Canadians really won on this one. I wouldn't have bought this car if it was equipped like the USA car.
      I feel bad that our brothers and sisters to the south get shafted on their Dubs. But then I just get in my GLI and forget all about em.

11. 04-11-2019 02:58 PM #60
      Ordered mine yesterday in Pure Grey from a Toronto dealership; needed a new car anyways because my 2015 GTI performance lease will be over in June. This was a perfect time for the new GLI to come out when my lease is due soon =D It has every feature that I would want, the LSD, digital dash, and DCC + dual chrome exhaust.

OP and other GLI owners, was wondering if you guys got any deals on it. They offered $1000 off MSRP, 1% rate reduction (loyalty + Power to the people event), pay for remaining 2 months of payments on my GTI and also doing tint for $200 at costs from dealer; I think it was a great deal and I couldn't resist. P.S I am financing on a 5 year term.

Can't wait for this!!

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-11-2019 04:35 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by kkwlau View Post
      Ordered mine yesterday in Pure Grey from a Toronto dealership; needed a new car anyways because my 2015 GTI performance lease will be over in June. This was a perfect time for the new GLI to come out when my lease is due soon =D It has every feature that I would want, the LSD, digital dash, and DCC + dual chrome exhaust.

OP and other GLI owners, was wondering if you guys got any deals on it. They offered $1000 off MSRP, 1% rate reduction (loyalty + Power to the people event), pay for remaining 2 months of payments on my GTI and also doing tint for $200 at costs from dealer; I think it was a great deal and I couldn't resist. P.S I am financing on a 5 year term.

Can't wait for this!!
      2 weeks of negotiations brought my trade up from 20k to 25.5k for a 2017 GLI AB/DSG w/34,000km on it. Got the 35th w/tech and manual down to $35k including destination/pdi. Got them to throw in monster mats, trunk liner, tire & rim hazard warranty and security etching. I think I did okay.

13. 04-11-2019 04:52 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by kkwlau View Post

Can't wait for this!!
      That sounds like a great deal. If anyone in Canada is looking, right now is the best time. Loyalty rate increased from 0.5% to 1% for the next 5 days or something like that. $2500 off cash incentive or you can stack the loyalty with the Autobahn for all if you're leasing, first payment waived, $0 down and $0 security deposit.

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-11-2019 06:27 PM #63
      just filled up, 90km to empty. 597km of spiritied "wheeeee this is fun" mixed driving. computer thinks I averaged 9.3 L/100km

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      04-11-2019 07:33 PM #64
      Beautiful, you need a GTI shift knob.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      04-11-2019 07:52 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
      Beautiful, you need a GTI shift knob.
      Or an Audi shift knob?

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-12-2019 03:43 PM #66

I'm personally a fan of the GTI MK6 knob in my GLI

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-15-2019 06:21 PM #67
      1900km on it now with a trip from Edmonton to Saskatoon and back. This thing is an amazing cruiser and the tech is pretty sweet.

the adaptive cruise is amazing, and I loved freaking my buds out with the lane keep assist. the suspension is very comfortable in either mode, but since the saskatchewan highway can be rough in places I swapped into comfort pretty early.

The big surprise was how quiet it is! I was in 4th for at least 10 minutes before noticing I wasn't in sixth, just cruising at 110kph.

But the drivers seat isn't as supportive as I would like. No vertical adjustment on the lumbar support is very disappointing, and I can actually feel gaps between parts in the frame through the padding. It did trigger a few pain points on the way back. But my back is not the greatest anyways.

Fuel economy was very good. Averaged 6.8 L/100km up and down cruising at 120kph pretty consistently. Normally I'd fill in Lethbridge (half way mark) no matter which car I drive, but didn't worry about it at all in this car.

I love this car, it's fantastic.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      04-15-2019 06:30 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Wiredin View Post
      1900km on it now with a trip from Edmonton to Saskatoon and back. This thing is an amazing cruiser and the tech is pretty sweet.

the adaptive cruise is amazing, and I loved freaking my buds out with the lane keep assist. the suspension is very comfortable in either mode, but since the saskatchewan highway can be rough in places I swapped into comfort pretty early.

The big surprise was how quiet it is! I was in 4th for at least 10 minutes before noticing I wasn't in sixth, just cruising at 110kph.

But the drivers seat isn't as supportive as I would like. No vertical adjustment on the lumbar support is very disappointing, and I can actually feel gaps between parts in the frame through the padding. It did trigger a few pain points on the way back. But my back is not the greatest anyways.

Fuel economy was very good. Averaged 6.8 L/100km up and down cruising at 120kph pretty consistently. Normally I'd fill in Lethbridge (half way mark) no matter which car I drive, but didn't worry about it at all in this car.

I love this car, it's fantastic.
      Sounds good! Do you think the GTI seats are any better? They seem a bit more comfortable in the showroom.

Vehicles
      19 GLI 35th Canadian
      04-15-2019 11:01 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
      Sounds good! Do you think the GTI seats are any better? They seem a bit more comfortable in the showroom.
      just based off memory from 5 years ago driving from Edmonton to Medicine Hat (5 hours) in the mk7 GTI I would have to say yes. My MK5 2008 GLI was the best tho. I could drive from Penticton to Edmonton (12 hours) without any pain.

21. 04-16-2019 09:39 PM #70
      For those in Canada, will you ever see decent discounts on either the 35th Anniversary or regular GLI this year? (I realize they are just hitting the lots.) Or are they pretty much near MSRP all year long? And what would be a good deal there? $1000 off MSRP? $2000 or more? Also, is there a better province to purchase in? Kind of like in the States the DC area is known to have better deals than most other areas. (Not always but most of the time even after adding back in delivery and $699 doc fee. Sheehy was $3700 better than I could do at my local deal in SC so not even close)

Just curious overall how Canadian pricing works. Thanks!

22. 04-16-2019 09:57 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by melikeyagti View Post
      For those in Canada, will you ever see decent discounts on either the 35th Anniversary or regular GLI this year? (I realize they are just hitting the lots.) Or are they pretty much near MSRP all year long? And what would be a good deal there? $1000 off MSRP? $2000 or more? Also, is there a better province to purchase in? Kind of like in the States the DC area is known to have better deals than most other areas. (Not always but most of the time even after adding back in delivery and $699 doc fee. Sheehy was $3700 better than I could do at my local deal in SC so not even close)

Just curious overall how Canadian pricing works. Thanks!
      I wouldn't expect major discounts like you see in the States. I'm not sure if they're inflating the prices over MSRP or just cost is lower down there. Getting $1000 discount from the dealer would be considered good on a new model. Currently there are up to $2500 off cash purchases from VW. So if you can get that plus $1000 off from the dealer I'd say that's a good deal.

There is a website called unhaggle where you can find out the dealers cost on cars. Worth checking it out, but you'll also notice there is about 6-8% gross on most VWs

Vehicles
      '94 Laguna Blue Miata, '16 GTI, '16 CX-5 GT
      Yesterday 03:15 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by MediocreCanadian View Post
      Took the GLI out for a Sunday cruise to break her in. Gotta say, hot damn she flies! Was a very fun and spirited drive.

The biggest highlights, the pick up and passing power is fabulous and turning DCC to comfort for some rougher bumpy stretches was great. I've set my custom to DCC and Engine Noise to Comfort and everything else is Sport. This seems to be the best for those stretches stuck behind people going normal speeds. Otherwise, it was Sport all the way for the long twisty stretch between Sooke and Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island. Gorgeous drive made even better behind the wheel of the GLI.

Your car is beautiful. THAT is the car I wanted to get. I guess I can live without DCC but I love all the GLI35 bits. Might have to order some replacement mats. My car will be the same, but I optioned summer tires and will have the silver wheels (whatever, I'll end up changing them)
      2016 GTI

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123