VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The boat lounge?

Vehicles
      07 x5
      03-23-2019 06:41 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Perhaps this is a more appropriate avatar? Seeing as I exceeded the max rated power and all....
      When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      07 x5
      03-23-2019 06:44 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      In the summer of 2010 I spent a day on Crystal Lake in Ellington with my buddy in his 1969 Starcraft, which looks just like your boat. That day was one of the best days of my life, which I remember fondly. There 4 of us on this tiny boat with a 40hp motor and barely enough room to sit, but damn if it wasn't one of the most fun things I've ever done. We had a 30 rack of Bud, a tube, and wooden skis that were as old as the boat. I have a pic somewhere of Justin, the boat owner, on those wooden skis behind the boat, one hand on the rope, a bud in the other, wearing a cowboy hat and aviators, and toasting the police boat as we cruised by them.

I tried to revive the spirit by purchasing an inflatable in the summer of 2014, but after five outtings that whole summer I learned I couldn't recapture the magic of a perfect day.
      Awesome story!

Many of the best times are spent on old boats!

Vehicles
      07 x5
      03-24-2019 06:22 PM #28
      2018 was a pretty boring year as far as updates for the boat go. If it seems like I don't have a pile of pictures to go with this thread, its because I don't. I'm usually too focused on getting the job done so we can use the stupid thing again, so I forget to take pictures and document the process along the way. Most of the pictures I do have are just action shots or pictures from actually using the thing.

We got another shepherd to add to the crew. Probably the only exciting thing as far as the boat was concerned.

Fast forward a couple months to Friday when I pulled the ol' gal out of storage and started working AND documenting what I was doing. It'll never be as good as Barry's, but thats what I'm aspiring to.

Home and parked for trim/sticker removal..

Stickers removed!

A healthy amount of wd40 helped the blade slide smoothly under the decades old decals. The goal is to strip it down to bare aluminum and repaint.

Not that its all that hard to remove 40 year old paint...

I'll pick up a gallon of Talstrip when the time comes to make some serious headway on the paint but im happy with the progress so far.

Has anyone had any luck filling holes in aluminum with a MAPP torch and brazing rod? I think thats what ill have to do to plug the millions of holes this thing has on the gunnels and all over the rest of it.

I'll also be replacing the decorative wooden trim with a hardwood to help it last and look great! As always, suggestions always appreciated!

Vehicles
      07 x5
      03-24-2019 06:50 PM #29
      The only 1978 E-TEC ever made

03-24-2019 10:55 PM #30
      Worst boat-owner, ever. It's only been in the water once in the 15 years I've owned it.

03-24-2019 11:03 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Worst boat-owner, ever. It's only been in the water once in the 15 years I've owned it.
      That's not a boat, its a period correct accessory.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

03-24-2019 11:28 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      That's not a boat, its a period correct accessory.
      I bought the 18-foot 1956 Christ Craft Continental as a prop to show with the other 1956 18-foot Continental.

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, '07 Triumph Bonneville, '80 Yamaha IT425
      03-25-2019 02:13 AM #33
      whats the plan for the paint?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      C7 Corvette
      03-25-2019 07:29 AM #34
      cool toy, OP.

I still don't understand the "boats are money pits" people. My uncles own a place on the Allegheny River and so they've all had boats as long as I've been alive and then some. My dad has owned a couple as well. everything from 9.9hp row boats to inboard V8s.

Currently my dad has a flat bottom center console with a 90hp Yamaha (4 stroke, jet drive). It's 13 years old now.... he changes the oil and filter once a year, greases the jet drive every time out, and changes the water pump every few years. It's been less work and money to keep running than any car i know of. The trailer has needed new tires too, but they usually dry rot before they wear out.

I can't remember any of them being money pits. sure, resale if you bought it new is horrible, but they've actually all been incredibly reliable. yeah, if you have to pay someone $100+ an hour to do anything its expensive, no different than cars in that manner though.

03-25-2019 07:39 AM #35
      Welcome to the infection. Once you get boating into your veins no other drug works.

Here's mine - she's a 2018 Four Winns H210 with a Volvo Penta 5.3L [LS ALL THE THINGS] 300 hp Duoprop.

Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Vehicles
      07 x5
      03-25-2019 02:07 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I bought the 18-foot 1956 Christ Craft Continental as a prop to show with the other 1956 18-foot Continental.
      Floating art on the water, Rolling art behind the Continental. Your Christ Craft is truly beatiful Barry!

The only time I've been lucky enough to be around beautiful wooden boats like yours was while staying and golfing in Coeur d'Alene. The use these two boats to transport guests from the hotel to the golf course on the lake. Im not sure the make, and theres very little info on them on the internet, but they are kept in immaculate condition and an absolute treat to ride in.

I would love to own one someday to cruise the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofernest
      whats the plan for the paint?
      Plan at the moment is a thick layer of single stage black of whatever I can find the cheapest, above the lower chimes and to leave the bottom either bare or some thick clear. It is a river boat and we frequently haul it on rocks so I'm not interested in having all the bumps and scrapes show.

Edit: not sure why the linked pictures of the boat I mentioned aren't showing.
      Last edited by FullyLoadedCarat; 03-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Vehicles
      07 x5
      04-10-2019 11:33 PM #37
      Long time no update?

I honestly have no idea how Barry does it. Between taking the pictures, to then painstakingly detail every step, it blows my mind.

I on the other hand, am barely good at getting work done. Although, there has been progress!

(slight derailment before the fun stuff)

Not that anyone is incredibly interested, but for sake of the thread I swear it makes sense... so bare with me. The Columbia River is one of the most dammed rivers in the world. With that comes strict management of water levels from Kinbasket lake in the interior of British Columbia, all the way to Astoria, Oregon. While that is the official route of the Columbia River, with all of the contributing watersheds, the dam total is 60! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...iver_watershed

These 60 dams and watersheds are all governed by the Columbia River Treaty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Treaty All water levels in rivers and lakes/penstocks are monitored and managed by this treaty in order to maintain optimum levels in lakes and rivers in order to avoid both floods and droughts. While we've only lived on this house 2 full years, its already the lowest we've seen, and talking to many in the community its the lowest its been in a long time. Combine that with historically low snowshed levels and lack of precipitation in the forecast, its shaping up to be an interesting boating season.

But Fullyloadedcarat? What does your senseless rambling about some river have to do with restoring this weird old Canadian boat. Well, my internet friends... It's going to be a long while before I'm able to launch it down the street as I've done for years. The boat launch we have in the community is extremely shallow. During the runoff season and summer, thats usually not a problem as the launch was made with that in mind. Graded gravel for a long while. However, when it gets even half as low, large pits and potholes, along with boulders appear making launching the boat much more inconvenient. To make a long story short, it's not looking like I'll be launching the boat any time soon. Usually the water temperature is the limiting factor but this year is different.

Away we gooooooo

That was the only fun picture I took of the paint removal. Mostly because its not that fun.

Engine is off and getting the usual carb clean and will be painting it to match as well.

Stay tuned!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      04-11-2019 12:10 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
      cool toy, OP.

I still don't understand the "boats are money pits" people. My uncles own a place on the Allegheny River and so they've all had boats as long as I've been alive and then some. My dad has owned a couple as well. everything from 9.9hp row boats to inboard V8s.

Currently my dad has a flat bottom center console with a 90hp Yamaha (4 stroke, jet drive). It's 13 years old now.... he changes the oil and filter once a year, greases the jet drive every time out, and changes the water pump every few years. It's been less work and money to keep running than any car i know of. The trailer has needed new tires too, but they usually dry rot before they wear out.

I can't remember any of them being money pits. sure, resale if you bought it new is horrible, but they've actually all been incredibly reliable. yeah, if you have to pay someone $100+ an hour to do anything its expensive, no different than cars in that manner though.
      Many people consider boats money pits in my area. Due to fact to take one on the river you have a several hour round trip to use it. There is Lake Elsinore, but I hear that is not that great. That drive is still a 3 hour round trip with no traffic.

So you have a boat, a RV, and or even dirt bikes. So to go out, and use it is a bit of a undertaking. So for a lot of people they sit, and sit. Aka money pit. I had a friend who moved to the Lake Havasu area since he was so into boating. Since it is one's of boatings Mecca's.
      Wearing a disguise, and pretending to be someone else?

That goes against all my instincts as a actor...

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      04-11-2019 12:26 AM #39
      Here's mine OP. As maintenance free as it gets. Twin Yamaha 1.8s powering jet drives. Fast and big enough for the lake. Small enough to tow and keep running costs low. I'm lucky that its a 10 minute walk from my job so I see her often. Sometimes even for lunch

Slow Car Fast

16. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      04-11-2019 01:46 AM #40
      hell yes!

i sometimes see those little outboard runabouts on CL and think "hmmm i bet thatd look nice cleaned up!" glad we can live through you

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      In for this!

Boats are a great way to make money disappear. I got into boating a couple years ago. Got hooked on oldish direct drive ski boats.
      its been my experience that the ease of maintenance and relative simplicity of the direct drive v8s have made them cheaper than most of my automotive dumpster fires.
      and i know youre on teamtalk also but here are my oldish direct drives... since i guess were posting other boats in OPs thread

wish we could have kept the red prostar, but alas, two boats wasnt realistic. was a dream to ski behind.

in for more project updates

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 1981 Vanagon
      04-11-2019 07:16 AM #41
      I think all of these boats would run better with a pair of Cummins K19 Marine engines.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

04-11-2019 08:47 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
      cool toy, OP.

It really depends on maintenance, and WHAT you buy. Newer boats with fuel injection are much easier to maintain than carburetor boats. I can't speak to OBs and Inboards, as around here, this is stern drive country. Stern drives tend to have more maintenance than the others, but not what I consider unbearably so. It's basically like having another car to maintain....

That said, the whole "buy used" thing has metastasized to the point where it's affecting what is available to buy new - too many people are buying used when they could (and honestly should) buy new, so the population of used boats has dwindled and the costs have actually risen in many cases. I was able to leverage that to my advantage and got exactly what I want, brand new, with a warranty, for about what I would have paid for a 1 year old used boat without the powertrain I wanted.

In short: Do your homework if you want to buy a boat. Bargain hard and you can buy a new one.
      Matt

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e, 2004 BMW R1150R
      04-11-2019 11:25 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Here's mine OP. As maintenance free as it gets. Twin Yamaha 1.8s powering jet drives. Fast and big enough for the lake. Small enough to tow and keep running costs low. I'm lucky that its a 10 minute walk from my job so I see her often. Sometimes even for lunch

Very nice -- looks like your slip is just north of the Echo Center, yes? Very jealous you can both work and play in Burlington! We've got a little camp right on the lake just south of Charlotte and we spend as much time there as we can each year -- usually a few weeks to as many as six.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm thinking of buying my first boat (at least my first one as an adult who actually has responsibility for such a thing) to use on Lake Champlain, and I'm going to go used, since I can neither justify nor afford new. I'm interested in a bowlder, and likely will have it in the water at a mooring for a month or two each year. I have a 13-year-old daughter, so most likely will use it for tubing, water skiing (does anyone do that any more?) and cruising. Likely won't have more than six people in the boat at a time.

Looking for some basic advice and opinions.

I'm probably looking at 18- to 19-foot boats (I think 17' would be too small on Lake Champlain).

Outboard or stern drive? I'm not interested in inboard. I've read up on the advantages/disadvantages of each -- outboards are easier to maintain, cheaper to operate, have a better power/weight ratio. Stern drive seems to be much more widely available used, are easier to get in and out from the water because of swim platforms, and the additional weight may make the ride better on Lake Champlain's chop.

I've read the standard 135hp 3.0 Mercruiser is a bit of a dog. Better to go for the 4.3? Or look for a Volvo Penta? If outboard, I really have no idea -- I'm thinking a minimum 90hp engine, probably 115 would be preferable, but I've seen very few used. When I was growing up, we had a 16' 1976 Glastron tri-hull with an 85hp Mercury. I remember it being able to yank skiers out of the water with ease and it had a top speed of 35-40mph (assuming the speedometer was at all accurate). But we could only use it on days with little wind because it pounded so badly over the waves.

About when did stern drive engines go to fuel injection? Think I would prefer not to have to deal with carburetors. If I do an outboard, I would look for a four-stroke.

How old is too old when it comes to buying someone else's problems? Things like hidden wood rot, etc. It looks as if ten-year-old boats seem to be in the sweet-spot pricewise (about $15k). Really not looking to go above $20k, but don't want to buy something that's going to need significant work in just a few years.

Brands that are built better/worse than others? I've long heard people sneer at Bayliners, but have also read that it's not a deserved reputation these days.

Anyway, have at it -- I'm all ears!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 335d
      04-11-2019 11:29 AM #44
      I love me some old MasterCrafts. Finally got out on some softwater this past weekend. Lower Niagara River. Was a bit chilly! (Water temp 31.7, lol) Fish cooperated.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4, 5.7 & 2.0T
      04-11-2019 11:39 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by dts View Post
      I've read the standard 135hp 3.0 Mercruiser is a bit of a dog. Better to go for the 4.3?
      Never get the base engine, you will regret it when you use it and when you sell it. Five years ago, I was looking for a bowrider similar to what you want...here is that thread: Bow riders - what is your opinion on these?
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

RareSportBikesForSale.com | German Cars For Sale Blog

22. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-11-2019 11:44 AM #46
      Timely bump as we get closer to boating season.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

its been my experience that the ease of maintenance and relative simplicity of the direct drive v8s have made them cheaper than most of my automotive dumpster fires.
      I agree with this. I got into boats about 5 years ago. My experience is with 30 year oldish direct drive ski boats. They don't have a lot that can go wrong.
      Not a million electronics, simple power train, etc.

There are some horror stories about wood stringer rot in older ski boats. The P.O. of my Supra spent $7k to have the stringers and floor replaced. By the mid '90s all the manufacturers had switched to all composite construction which took care of that problem.

I think much of the expense comes from use and storage costs. It's about $50 for a day on the water for me between fuel, food, transport, ect. That is on the cheap side.
      I don't have storage or mooring costs, those can add up in a hurry.

Whoring time.

First boat '86 Supra Sunsport. Ford 351 w/carb. Sold this last year.

New '96 Prostar. Chevy 350 TBI. Day we bought it.

04-11-2019 01:15 PM #47
      I can help with this.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm thinking of buying my first boat (at least my first one as an adult who actually has responsibility for such a thing) to use on Lake Champlain, and I'm going to go used, since I can neither justify nor afford new. I'm interested in a bowlder, and likely will have it in the water at a mooring for a month or two each year. I have a 13-year-old daughter, so most likely will use it for tubing, water skiing (does anyone do that any more?) and cruising. Likely won't have more than six people in the boat at a time.

Looking for some basic advice and opinions.

I'm probably looking at 18- to 19-foot boats (I think 17' would be too small on Lake Champlain).

Outboard or stern drive? I'm not interested in inboard. I've read up on the advantages/disadvantages of each -- outboards are easier to maintain, cheaper to operate, have a better power/weight ratio. Stern drive seems to be much more widely available used, are easier to get in and out from the water because of swim platforms, and the additional weight may make the ride better on Lake Champlain's chop.

I've read the standard 135hp 3.0 Mercruiser is a bit of a dog. Better to go for the 4.3? Or look for a Volvo Penta? If outboard, I really have no idea -- I'm thinking a minimum 90hp engine, probably 115 would be preferable, but I've seen very few used. When I was growing up, we had a 16' 1976 Glastron tri-hull with an 85hp Mercury. I remember it being able to yank skiers out of the water with ease and it had a top speed of 35-40mph (assuming the speedometer was at all accurate). But we could only use it on days with little wind because it pounded so badly over the waves.

About when did stern drive engines go to fuel injection? Think I would prefer not to have to deal with carburetors. If I do an outboard, I would look for a four-stroke.

How old is too old when it comes to buying someone else's problems? Things like hidden wood rot, etc. It looks as if ten-year-old boats seem to be in the sweet-spot pricewise (about $15k). Really not looking to go above $20k, but don't want to buy something that's going to need significant work in just a few years.

Brands that are built better/worse than others? I've long heard people sneer at Bayliners, but have also read that it's not a deserved reputation these days.

Anyway, have at it -- I'm all ears!
      *cracks knuckles*

We need two pieces of info first:

1. Budget for purchase? Budget for maintenance?
      2. Age range?

These will sort of answer your later questions and set the stage for everything else....

In general, what follows will focus on the largest segment: Stern drive small boats in the 18-20 foot class, where you say you will be looking and where you are likely to find the most options. I am ignoring surf and ski boats (direct drive inboards and V drives) - they are a specialized use case and your use case doesn't fit that (yet). I am also ignoring outboards for now....depending on the answers to the questions above.

Most boats in the 18 - 20 foot range up until very recently (or VERY way back...think 1980s) will be stern drive in this range. Fuel injection was gradually adopted in stern drives starting in 1998 or so on the larger premium engines, and gradually adopted down the line. Volvo converted to all FI sometime shortly after 2000, Merc was dicking around with carbs up until recently on the 3.0. This also affects boat brands - smaller prestige brands from the early 2000s will be FI, something lower level like a Bayliner or a Glastron will not UNLESS you get lucky and find someone like me crazy enough to spec the rare top level engine option.

Some stern drive history: As of 1995, there are two volume stern drive makers: Volvo and Merc. Up to 2015 or so, they both used marinized versions of GM Vortec truck engines. AFTER 2015 (or so...I can't remember exactly) GM stopped producing the iron block 4.3, 5.0 (305), 5.7 (350), 6.2L, and 8.1L engines. From that point forward, Volvo and Merc diverged: Merc made their own engines based on the legacy GM block designs (iron block, lots of cubic inches, MPI fuel injection), and Volvo adopted GM Powertrain's new aluminum blocks, including the LS series V8s.

IN general: You want to find the boat with the most HP optioned into it. I would avoid the 3.0 on general principle - it's efficient, but it's as smooth as a blender full of scrap iron and in anything over 17 feet it's not appropriate. 18 footers should have 4.3s, 19s should be MPI 4.3s or 5.0s, 20 footers should be 5.0s and MPI 5.0s.

Volvo vs Merc: This is like Ford vs Chevy, but I will try and simplify it: Up until 2015 or so, Merc and Volvo used the same engines at the same HP nodes, so the only difference is the drives. Merc sells a wider variety of drives - some great, some suck. VP only sells a few variants of their cone-clutch drive, and they are IMO the gold standard to have.

In broad strokes, prior to the engine shift of 2015, you can flip a coin on VP or Merc - they are both good, AS LONG AS you are comparing apples to apples - VP tends to spec higher than Merc in cases. For instance: It's possible to look at two boats: one has a VP 5.0 GXI (injected), the other is a Merc 5.0 MPI Alpha. The engines are the same, the drives are not.

AFTER 2015, my strong opinion is VP is the only one to go with, due to the aluminum LS block with closed cooling, easy drain, VVT, and direct injection. Merc does not compete with that, their engines are 100 lbs heavier, and get smoked in a drag race EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Drives:

The Merc starter drive is the Alpha One. This is what you see hanging off most smaller Merc powered boats. And I hate it with a searing passion....and I used to own one. It's a dog clutch drive, meaning it GRRRIIIND-CLUNKs into gear, and then nearly stalls the engine to disengage the gears to go to neutral. In my opinion this was okay back in the 2000s for most boats up to 21 feet, but the prices have continued to rise and now the experience is hoary, old, rough, and crude. Find a boat with a 3.0 Merc Alpha and it will redefine the concept of NVH for you in the worst way possible. Volvo wisely never competed with this drive, though they did have a variant of the 3.0 up until 2013 or so (with fuel injection) that coupled with their SX drive. Read on for that. You will find Alphas on all 3.0s, almost all 4.3s, most 5.0s, and even some engines up to 300 hp on boat brands like Sea Ray. Aside from being reliable as gravity and easily serviced by any bong-resin-infused mechanic, they suck. Avoid them.

The next Merc upgrade is the Bravo One, which is a much smoother cone clutch shift. Volvo competes here with their SX drive, and on their merits, it's give and take - they are both excellent. They shift with a smooth "bump" in and out of gear, and can take a lot of horsepower. Flip a coin here - I would take either.

Next up is the Dual Prop drives. Merc takes the above Bravo One and slaps a Dual Prop lower on it and calls it the Bravo 3. Volvo does the same to the SX and calls it the DPS. I have a DPS drive on my boat. I have some opinions on which is best depending on year, boat, etc, but for this conversation, again, flip a coin. At your size class, unless you get really lucky, you won't encounter these.

Above this is the Merc racing drives. You won't find these in a sub-20 foot boat, and VP doesn't compete with them anyway, so this is a moot point.

Boat Brands:

You are talking to a 3 time Bayliner owner. I love them and have no issues buying another. THey do have fit and finish issues but the bones are solid and I have had my family in a 25 year old one in 5 foot Lake Michigan waves. I know the boats well, and trust them. YEs, they have a reputation, and some of it is earned, most is not. Most of the people who trash them do not own boats themselves.

That said, you need to get on boats to see what you like and to hell with the brand. Bayliner makes some truly amazing boats with great use of space - something you will appreciate far more than a used 1968 Bertram convertible that some idiot will try to tell you you need on The Hull Truth. Sea Ray is also a solid brand (and Merc only, which is why I don't buy them). Upscale brands are Four Winns, Chaparral, Cobalt, and Formula. Do note that I am a Bayliner enthusiast, but I currently own a Four Winns.

My general recommendation:

18 foot if you must, 19 or 20 foot preferred, fuel injection mandatory, cone clutch drive strongly preferred. Try to target an upscale brand - the ride quality is real, and on your lake, you will appreciate it.

Whatever you buy, it needs to have a STACK of maintenance records.

Any other questions, ask me.
      Matt

Vehicles
      S4, R32
      04-11-2019 01:29 PM #48
      I want a late 80's Ski Nautique 2001. badly.

I'm not a water skier or barefooter, but the dual exhaust from the inboard V8 brings back many good childhood lake memories. we had an early 90's Dynasty Elan which was fine for the lake cottage, but an inboard ski boat has been a dream since childhood.
      welcome to the layer cake

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e, 2004 BMW R1150R
      04-11-2019 01:56 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I can help with this.

*cracks knuckles*

We need two pieces of info first:

1. Budget for purchase? Budget for maintenance?
      2. Age range?

These will sort of answer your later questions and set the stage for everything else....

[and lots of good information follows....]
      Thanks so much for your detailed answer -- just what I was looking for.

To answer above,

1. I would expect my purchase limit would be $20k, although there is a remote possibility I could exceed that. Would prefer to keep it in the $15K-20k range. Maintenance and storage is an unknown -- we have an old free-standing garage, but do not know if a boat that size would fit in it. I think I might have free to low-cost outdoor storage available to me, but that would require having someone shrink-wrap it. Based on what I've read, I doubt I would have the tools or skills to do winterization myself on an i/o, but might be able to on an outboard. Don't think my car is big enough to tow a boat this size (Volvo V60), but likely could rent a u-haul when necessary to put it in and take it out.

2. Age range would depend mostly on my budget, but I don't want to buy something so old that it's going to require extensive and/or expensive repairs. It looks like the newest I could possibly consider would be five years old, more likely five to ten based on what I've seen online.

JOOC, what would you consider to be upscale brands? I don't really know, but based on my research I'm assuming it would include Four Winns, Regal, Chaparral, Cobalt (among others).

And BTW, love the pics off of Chicago. Many years ago in a previous life I lived just off the corner of Fullerton and Clark, only a few block walk to the lakefront. Always thought I would go back to Chicago...

26. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-11-2019 01:59 PM #50
      , water skiing (does anyone do that any more?)
      Yes! You notice no tower on either of our boats.
      I think water skiing is making a bit of a come back.

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      I want a late 80's Ski Nautique 2001. badly.

I'm not a water skier or barefooter, but the dual exhaust from the inboard V8 brings back many good childhood lake memories. we had an early 90's Dynasty Elan which was fine for the lake cottage, but an inboard ski boat has been a dream since childhood.
      The Nautique 2001s are sweet boats.
      They are powered by the same 351 Ford as our Supra. I can confirm the exhaust note is epic.
      The Supra has true dual exhaust with Supertrapp mufflers. Even the burble at idle was intense.

The Chevy in the MC sounds good. It's got duals as well. It's just not as good as the old Ford.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast