Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Fuel Economy

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL-P [non-R]
      08-14-2019 04:33 PM #26
      Was showing 36mpg on the first 2.5 hrs of a drive that started with about 10 min easy city traffic then interstates that were pretty crowded so far from a steady speed.
      (Stopped looking at mpg once I got close to Lincoln Tunnel.)
      Drivetrain still at Normal but ACC now set to Sport.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon , 2008 Audi S5, 2000 Audi S4, 2004 Passat Wagon, 1998 Passat Wagon, Audi 5000S
      08-14-2019 09:51 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by sp4c3m4nsp1ff17 View Post
      I'm curious how/why the Audi A4 with similar drivetrain can beat the Arteon so soundly in fuel economy with 27/34/23. The A4 makes 20 fewer hp but also has 1 less gear in the transmission (7 speed dsg in the Audi vs 8 speed traditional in the Arteon). Is it the difference in the quattro/4 motion systems?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
      For starters the DSG gearbox is more efficient than the 8 speed auto in the Arteon, and the 4WD bias I believe is different, the Arteon uses 90/10% F/R rear split but I beleive the Audi is 60/40. Not sure about the differences in mass or front area (CD) which also cause differences. Having less power in the Audi means its engine operating points will be different to, including where the 7 speed DSG with different gear ratios makes it operate during the same drive cycle.

So, I think no single answer.

Does anyone know if the new WLTP driving test procedure to measure real-life emissions affects the results of the EPA's driving cycle to measure city/highway mpg that is advertised on the sticker? I did a quick google search but I could not find a definite answer... quickly.

anyone being using the blue trainer thing?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      08-15-2019 08:59 AM #28
      Don't have an arteon but do have a 4Mo with DSG, and can state that MDF is just soooo wildly in accurate it's almost laughable.

36 indicated over some trips and 34 for tank average usually nets only 29 when calculated miles/gallons.

Gen5 Haldex is always sending power to the rear and is very very very dependent on throttle input way more than "wheel spin". Leaving almost every stop light I can feel the rear engaging and pushing the car yet the fronts never every lose traction. It seems you have a very fine edge where the the haldex doesn't engage and zap MPG.

Once the torque converter of that Asin tranny locks up in 8th and you're at steady state it'll spank a 6spd DSG due to gearing alone 2300 at 60MPH isn't fuel efficient. It'd need the taller gearing of a 7spd DSG to really help out but alas it'd push the price way to high, prob 2K more to that sticker price.

Also i read recently the A7 3.0 quattro gets better MPG than the Arteron 4Mo (on paper) so take that for what it's worth.
      Last edited by Dieseldog12; 08-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2019 10:06 PM #29
      I haven't done the precise calcs yet, but the range on each tank of gas is matching up with the info screen stats.
      (Big relief too, since I was used to a crazy long cruising range on my Legacy. Arteon is still shorter, but way longer than the published stats.)
      Might just be me though, since my driving style seems to require only very low rpm. Except for when the highways are really turny (eg Hutch in CT), I'm just using ACC in Sport mode with distance set to min. Arteon is so very smooth even when adjusting the speed for the flow of traffic.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Alltrack SE, '15 Passat TDI SEL
      08-19-2019 12:50 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shefftz View Post
      I haven't done the precise calcs yet, but the range on each tank of gas is matching up with the info screen stats.
      (Big relief too, since I was used to a crazy long cruising range on my Legacy. Arteon is still shorter, but way longer than the published stats.)
      Might just be me though, since my driving style seems to require only very low rpm. Except for when the highways are really turny (eg Hutch in CT), I'm just using ACC in Sport mode with distance set to min. Arteon is so very smooth even when adjusting the speed for the flow of traffic.
      notice how much of the time that torque converter locks up and if it unlocks for any hills while on cruise.

remember boost == bad MPG, but also equals smiles!
      '15 Passat SEL (NOS bought April '17 w/ 60 miles on the clock)
      '17 Alltrack SE

Bought back: '10 Jetta TDI sedan manual, '12 Passat SE (roof and Nav)

7. 08-19-2019 03:01 PM #31
      I am guessing VW choose the conventional tranny vs DSG in the US is for reliability and cost, even though it means giving up a bit of efficiency.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08-19-2019 07:23 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      notice how much of the time that torque converter locks up and if it unlocks for any hills while on cruise.
      Stupid question time: how can I tell when the torque converter is locking/unlocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldog12 View Post
      remember boost == bad MPG, but also equals smiles!
      So far after -- let's see here -- 1,632 miles (thank you CarNet app, which so far I've found useful enough to plan to continue the subscription after the trial period), I've floored it only 3x.
      Part of that is how the majority of miles have been within the break-in period.
      But I've just found that although I really appreciate the extra power of the Arteon over all our prior Subaru sedans (okay, admittedly not a really high bar there), I love how it can keep up with pretty much any reasonable flow of traffic while still keeping the engine so smooth and quiet.

I also experimented last night on the Hutch with using the ACC (set in Sport mode, coupled with Tailgaiting distance) pretty much all the time, even in highly variable traffic flows.
      I was so impressed with how it always kept a reasonable distance (both slowing down and then catching up) while staying far more smooth than I could even when trying my best.

I did though floor it once last night while merging onto the Hutch after a dinner break.
      My wife was so alarmed she thought something must be wrong with the ACC!
      Nothing like a friend's Tesla Model 3 I floored last week (which had me instantly plastered against the seat like some sort of Road Runner cartoon), but I was still quite impressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12