VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dollar General Obsolete Motor Oil Class Action Lawsuit Certified

Vehicles
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      03-27-2019 09:07 AM #1
      https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ge-3/#comments

The comments are...interesting. Lots of people apparently think they can be added to the class by simply replying 'Add' to the article.

A federal judge has approved Class certification for consumers in 16 states involved in a lawsuit alleging that Dollar General sold motor oil that was useless in modern cars.

If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      03-27-2019 09:09 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ge-3/#comments

The comments are...interesting. Lots of people apparently think they can be added to the class by simply replying 'Add' to the article.

Add

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '15 INFINITI QX60 Family Truckster
      03-27-2019 09:39 AM #3
      The only comment worth mentioning:

This is why you check the API label not just the weight. Only an idiot would buy non-detergent 30w for a car, it’s only for lawnmowers and air compressors. And as for the SL or SJ, it actually won’t hurt any car that called for 10w30 or 10w40 when new, as neither of those have been called for since the late 80s/early 90s when 5w30 became standard. DG actually did nothing wrong here. People need to be responsible enough to check their label for the oil rating not just the viscosity.

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      03-27-2019 09:44 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      "Sold on the shelf right next to the automotive oil"

I don't see this so black and white.
      Having heard some of my coworkers stories of the terrible management in DG when he managed a store (until their incompetence and general disregard for their employees finally made him quit)... I don't put it past DG to have intentionally put that oil there to sell it to their customers as a automotive oil substitute.

03-27-2019 10:13 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post

Having heard some of my coworkers stories of the terrible management in DG when he managed a store (until their incompetence and general disregard for their employees finally made him quit)... I don't put it past DG to have intentionally put that oil there to sell it to their customers as a automotive oil substitute.
      Yeah I do IT for a company that has a large retail side to the company. Even though I'm not in retail, I have to take annual training every year about false and misleading business tactics. I forget the exact wording but I know the bottom line is that it doesn't matter if you're presenting accurate information. If the information is likely to mislead some customers then you cannot use that business practice. It's not enough to be accurate, you need to be consistent and not use marketing tactics that are likely to mislead some customers.

How many are "some" customers? Tough to say but the training made it clear that the standard isn't that no customers will be mislead and likewise the standard is not that most customers would be mislead. As long as some customers would be mislead then it's an impermissible marketing campaign. Putting lawnmower oil in containers shaped and labeled similarly to automotive oil and physically placed next to automotive oil almost certainly meets the criteria of being likely to mislead some customers.

Vehicles
      03-27-2019 10:14 AM #6

But DG's sloppy and incompetent upper management has nothing to do with consumers not reading the labels. They sell sugar next to flour, but I'm not going to sue DG next time I put flour in my coffee. Overall, as a consumer, you're responsible for reading the labels on what you buy.

Vehicles
      02 Mazda Protege
      03-27-2019 10:21 AM #7
      But DG's sloppy and incompetent upper management has nothing to do with consumers not reading the labels. They sell sugar next to flour, but I'm not going to sue DG next time I put flour in my coffee. Overall, as a consumer, you're responsible for reading the labels on what you buy.

Ever been in and observed the clientele of a DG? "Responsible" isn't one of the first words that I'd use to describe a large % of them. Granted, that doesn't mean we should all have to put up with measures put in place to save people like that from themselves, but it is what it is.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

9. Senior Member
      03-27-2019 10:25 AM #8
      This is why you check the API label not just the weight. Only an idiot would buy non-detergent 30w for a car, it’s only for lawnmowers and air compressors. And as for the SL or SJ, it actually won’t hurt any car that called for 10w30 or 10w40 when new, as neither of those have been called for since the late 80s/early 90s when 5w30 became standard. DG actually did nothing wrong here. People need to be responsible enough to check their label for the oil rating not just the viscosity.

but this wasn't SJ SL oil, it was SF oil. SJ and SL are still active/current oil classifications for vehicles up to 2001 and 2004 respectively.

The SF oil is what is up to 1988 only and considered obsolete by the API.

I'm not sure it was mentioned in this article, but part of the ruling against dollar General is that they were well aware of this oil not being compatible with most vehicles, even their customers older vehicles.... The oil supplier who was providing it told them so, there was intent to fool people this wasn't as simple as oh it is on the customer to read the label.

99% of the people here don't read the label.

10. Senior Member
      03-27-2019 10:31 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      Ever been in and observed the clientele of a DG? "Responsible" isn't one of the first words that I'd use to describe a large % of them. Granted, that doesn't mean we should all have to put up with measures put in place to save people like that from themselves, but it is what it is.
      Their sour glow worms are $1.00 with Tax.. I said WITH TAX!! (I think I have only been in a DG 3 times in my whole life, the last time was for some twine and a drop cloth since HD would have been an hour round trip)

They are basically a rural chain bodega, and sometimes they are the quickest and easiest place to go to even for groceries when resources are limited and you literally might not be able to afford the extra 5 bucks in fuel round trip to the super walmart. Yes that might mean like a bodega that the clientele could be of a certain type, that does not mean that the company should be targeting them. What measures being put in place to ensure a proper modern oil is stocked at a decent price are you having to put up with exactly?

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      03-27-2019 10:36 AM #10

While I agree that people need to pay the F attention to what's going on in the world around them, flour vs. sugar could be considered "general knowledge" while API oil rating are most certainly not. How would a general consumer even know such a thing existed? Oil adverts don't mention it and its only appears on the oil caps of some cars. It's simply not something that people are taught nor is it something that crosses their mind to even look for even if they DO read the label. They see "oil" and "10W-40" and assume they're doing the right thing.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      03-27-2019 11:00 AM #11
      Every store should be required to have someone that knows WTF they're selling ON SITE.

These combination firearm dealer, auto service, grocery store, pill pushers really suck. Have some cheap socks.

DG is so price competitive they put the mom & pop shop out of buisness because nobody can pay 7 cents extra to somebody that would actually help you.

Idiots, all of us.

Leave your propane bottle outside. Unless you need the little green one they're inside. -every store everywhere.

Vehicles
      Fake Rich C300
      03-27-2019 11:05 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      These combination firearm dealer, auto service, grocery store, pill pushers really suck. Have some cheap socks.

14. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-27-2019 11:06 AM #13
      IDK, im inclined to agree with GolfTango.

at the end of the day, people do need to be held for their own actions and honestly i do not see this getting too far in court as i am sure it will be mentioned that they should have consulted their car manual or a SME before adding/doing anything.

BUT, on the other hand, i can see if this was a malicious intend to just make sales, then yes, consumers need to be protected. but i just do not see it as it going that way in court.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

15. 03-27-2019 11:11 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      While I agree that people need to pay the F attention to what's going on in the world around them, flour vs. sugar could be considered "general knowledge" while API oil rating are most certainly not. How would a general consumer even know such a thing existed? Oil adverts don't mention it and its only appears on the oil caps of some cars. It's simply not something that people are taught nor is it something that crosses their mind to even look for even if they DO read the label. They see "oil" and "10W-40" and assume they're doing the right thing.
      Would have to agree. The average person is not looking at the label nor understands what the label is saying to them. Even in the cases of cars that take special oil, they dont know unless someone has told them you can just buy synthetic from walmart. In general people buy oil because they know their car takes 10w-40 or 5w-30 etc. Unless the label literally spells out, not for use in an automobile, DG was being shady. They were told the oil was bad and knew that if they placed it the same section, the average consumer would buy not understanding the difference.

We also have to think about their customer base. DG has a model to flood rural and low income areas. Their customers are very worried about cost. I bet customers are walking in and seeing super cheap oil in the automotive section that matches what their car takes and purchasing.

To me this would be no different than selling fish in this scenario. A fish market has two identical looking fish and packs them. One fish is good and the other is not for consumption because it contains a really bad ingredient. The fish market list the really bad ingredient on the packing slip and makes no other mention. They then place the good fish and the bad fish right beside each other for sale. For sake of discussion, they even lower the price of the identical looking fish with the really bad ingredient. People buy the cheap fish as it looks the same, of course not reading the packing slip. For those that read the packing slip, they may not even know the ingredient listed will make them sick. Of course they get sick and come back to the fish market. The fish market tells them you were stupid because look, we listed what would make you sick on the pack.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      03-27-2019 11:13 AM #15
      If only we had some sort of device where we could look up information easily.

Maybe even something we could access information and carry it in our pockets.

That would be amazing.

(How the **** did we survive as a species to this point?).
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      4-door Mustang GT 4.6L
      03-27-2019 11:20 AM #16

Yes and no. Look at it this way. I'm at a Chevy dealership. I see this Malibu next to the Corvette on the showroom floor, does that mean that I should automatically assume that it's just as fast because it's standing right next to the Corvette? Then when i buy it and find out it's not as fast as a Corvette can I sue the dealership for putting it by the Corvette? No it was my responsibility to check that, same with the oil, the product is just there, but it is up to you to make sure it is what suits your needs. And because it was next to oils, that's where it should be, I don't think they should've put it between apples and oranges in the grocery isle.

18. 03-27-2019 11:20 AM #17
      Would have to agree. The average person is not looking at the label nor understands what the label is saying to them. Even in the cases of cars that take special oil, they dont know unless someone has told them you can just buy synthetic from walmart. In general people buy oil because they know their car takes 10w-40 or 5w-30 etc. Unless the label literally spells out, not for use in an automobile, DG was being shady. They were told the oil was bad and knew that if they placed it the same section, the average consumer would buy not understanding the difference.

We also have to think about their customer base. DG has a model to flood rural and low income areas. Their customers are very worried about cost. I bet customers are walking in and seeing super cheap oil in the automotive section that matches what their car takes and purchasing.

To me this would be no different than selling fish in this scenario. A fish market has two identical looking fish and packs them. One fish is good and the other is not for consumption because it contains a really bad ingredient. The fish market list the really bad ingredient on the packing slip and makes no other mention. They then place the good fish and the bad fish right beside each other for sale. For sake of discussion, they even lower the price of the identical looking fish with the really bad ingredient. People buy the cheap fish as it looks the same, of course not reading the packing slip. For those that read the packing slip, they may not even know the ingredient listed will make them sick. Of course they get sick and come back to the fish market. The fish market tells them you were stupid because look, we listed what would make you sick on the pack.

19. Senior Member
      03-27-2019 11:21 AM #18
      This is right up the street from Rudy's Welding and cold beer in the confederate flags everywhere part of MD

had pics of both but couldn't find them so google streetview clip is is..

20. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-27-2019 11:26 AM #19
      at the end of the day, we are arguing the point that people are stupid enough to purchase motor oil that is not made for modern cars, BUT were smart enough that they provided evidence that the oil was obsolete...

so the intelligence was/is there, they just chose to not apply it when purchasing something...
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GMC Sierra, '98 5.3L Wrangler, '01 International 4700, too many trailers
      03-27-2019 11:27 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      This is right up the street from Rudy's Welding and cold beer in the confederate flags everywhere part of MD
      Is there live bait in the Dew machine?

22. Senior Member
      03-27-2019 11:34 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      at the end of the day, we are arguing the point that people are stupid enough to purchase motor oil that is not made for modern cars, BUT were smart enough that they provided evidence that the oil was obsolete...

so the intelligence was/is there, they just chose to not apply it when purchasing something...
      Many class action suits and normal suits are brought on by very smart people intentionally doing dumb things simply to make their case. Like the people who went and bough subway sandwiches at a bunch of stores measured and all were under 12" so they tried to sue that they were tricked. Or the lady (a lawyer) who signed up to volunteer at a marathon or similar type event specifically so that she had proof that this organization was using free labor. No one bought redbull thinking that they would get wings, but someone saw an opportunity, sued so now it gives you wiings and Dietrich Mateschitz had to wait an extra year to buy a sport.

Likely some oil obsessed poster on BITOG saw this made a joke to a friend about it, said friend saw dollar signs and this began there not with stupid people who later researched API and knew a good CA lawyer.

23. Senior Member
      03-27-2019 11:36 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Is there live bait in the Dew machine?
      Sadly no.. but there is a live bait machine at a gas station 1/4 mile up the road, opposite direction from Rudy's.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      03-27-2019 11:58 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      If only we had some sort of device where we could look up information easily.

Maybe even something we could access information and carry it in our pockets.

That would be amazing.

(How the **** did we survive as a species to this point?).

If only everyone could afford such a luxury. We're talking about Dollar General, here - have you seen where they place their stores? Hint: Not in Greenwich, CT.

And for those who DO have such devices, the general public has no understanding of the existence of API ratings on oil - how on earth would they even know to look for such a thing? You can't blame a person for not asking a question about a subject they don't even know exists.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

03-27-2019 12:02 PM #24
      You can't blame a person for not asking a question about a subject they don't even know exists.
      Tell that to the cop that told me ignorance of the law was no reason for me to mow my lawn nude.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      03-27-2019 12:40 PM #25
      I may have to change my stance. And this goes back to 2016.

Now that I've actually seen the bottles of oil, I can see where this lawsuit holds some merit.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/gma-invest...ry?id=36876976

The bottles look like this

The front label of the DG 10W-30 oil looks like any other oil, but a warning on the back of the bottle advises that the product is “not suitable” for “engines built after 1988.
      So, yes I can see how the average patron of DG could be fooled here.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast