Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Trucks Are Too Damn Expensive" —Jalop

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-28-2019 10:10 AM #1
      And yet...

The Trucks Are Too Damn Expensive

1st Gear: Pickup Buyers Are Fed Up With ‘Overpriced’ $50,000 Trucks

For a hot minute now the average new car price has been about $34,000, a historic high in the industry. But if you want a truck, it’s even more—almost $50,000. That’s a lot for a segment that used to offer almost exclusively utilitarian work vehicles but now trades in gigantic, leather-lined near-luxury vehicles full of expensive features.

Those trucks are incredibly lucrative. The American automakers in particular have essentially become truck and SUV manufacturers that occasionally make sedans and cars as a side hustle, if at all. The key is profit margins—you take a basic truck and turn it into a King Ranch or Sierra Denali or whatever, pile on the options and watch your money stack higher and higher.

Buyers are getting sick of it, and they don’t feel like their trucks are even that well-built anymore, according to a CarGurus study—the very officially titled “2019 Truck Sentiment Survey”—reported on by the Detroit Free Press:

With the average transaction price for a new full-size truck near $50,000, the expense of buying and maintaining a pickup are pushing some pickup owners into other vehicles. The survey found that only about 15 percent of current pickup owners say the vehicles are a good value.

CarGurus, an online automotive marketplace that connects buyers and sellers of new and used cars, surveyed 1,067 current and former pickup owners last month, the split being about 50/50. Among the current owners, 195 own a Ford pickup, 154 own a Chevrolet pickup, 106 own a Toyota and 101 own a Ram.

The survey found that 68 percent of pickup owners said their vehicles were overpriced. Forty-eight percent said the trucks aren’t made as well as they used to be and 17 percent said they probably will not buy another pickup.
      Interestingly—and I’m convinced this isn’t a huge phenomenon yet but it could be later—some buyers are so fed up with truck prices they’re actually moving back into sedans:

Among the former pickup owners who switched to another type of vehicle, 37 percent now own a traditional SUV or crossover and 35 percent now own a sedan, the survey said.

“What an interest finding in that study,” Gross said. “What we see as the top reasons people are switching categories is that trucks have poor fuel efficiency and they’re high cost. Switching into a large SUV might not make as much sense as a sedan.”

Nearly half of current pickup owners, 47 percent, cited “gas mileage” as a reason for considering another brand of pickup, up from 38 percent in the year-ago study. Nearly 42 percent of former pickup owners said fuel efficiency was a top reason for abandoning pickups for a different vehicle.

“It speaks to gas mileage and fuel efficiency being top of mind to car buyers overall right now,” said Gross.
      Also worth noting these ridiculously high transaction prices were driven by cheap and readily available credit, and that certainly won’t last forever.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      03-28-2019 10:23 AM #2
      Trucks really aren’t that bad if you don’t spec the rolling living room package. But most can’t help themselves- it’s rare to find a stripped down work spec truck with a regular cab these days.

4. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      03-28-2019 10:24 AM #3
      My truck was 26k. What's the problem again?

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Esmerelda
      03-28-2019 10:27 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Trucks really aren’t that bad if you don’t spec the rolling living room package. But most can’t help themselves- it’s rare to find a stripped down work spec truck with a regular cab these days.
      That's because most people that have trucks don't use them for anything more than a sedan/cuv and want their truck to have all the same things as a luxury car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-28-2019 10:32 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      That tells us that they're making what's selling/profitable, which should be completely understandable.

If the economy takes a dive they can easily switch the mix to whatever is selling best at the time, which would include sub $30,000 full size pickups, never mind that Ford and GM also have pretty large "mid-sized" trucks that are still quite capable.

*tucks "living room interior" into his personal vernacular.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      03-28-2019 10:34 AM #6
      i entertained the thought of a truck once...here in KS trucks are the main thing to get, so just about every dealer around has nothing but optioned out trucks that run 50k or higher!

i think i read somewhere that Ford is releasing the ranger again, that will be a great truck if they come in with the right price.
      Instagram @static_quo_tig
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-28-2019 10:36 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      i entertained the thought of a truck once...here in KS trucks are the main thing to get, so just about every dealer around has nothing but optioned out trucks that run 50k or higher!

i think i read somewhere that Ford is releasing the ranger again, that will be a great truck if they come in with the right price.
      The Ranger is hitting the showrooms now, but it's an older design until the new one arrives in a couple of years, so it's falling short of the GM twins in the comparisons. It's still a capable truck, but GM nailed that one. It's a good thing too, as apparently they missed the mark on the current full-sizers. (I haven't checked them out, but that's supposed to be the gist of it.)
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

9. 03-28-2019 10:43 AM #8
      I looked at replacing my Ram but all across the board trucks with a couple more options over mine (like heated seats and upgraded stereo) and the MSRP is right around 50k

Even the 12k off sticker sales going on this month are still more money than my current truck stickered at in 2013!

I have a check from the bank and found what I wanted, I just haven't pulled the trigger and probably won't
      Boiler Up!

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      03-28-2019 10:45 AM #9
      its amazing how insecure men are they are willing to put down that much money to feel good about themselves.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX View Post
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-28-2019 10:47 AM #10
      My comments are more SUV/CUV related, but probably are relevant to the overall conversation about trucks.
      Most of my friends or associates, who bought new vehicles over the last two or three years, switched from SUVs to sedans.
      I also abandoned SUVs, after 12-16 years, in favor of a car.
      The reasons behind these switches were driving enjoyment (number one), prestige (most of these people left mass market CUV/SUVs for premium brand sedans), and fuel economy.
      In one case, a friend who is an "almost empty-nester" left SUVs for a premium coupe, citing no longer even needing a 4 door vehicle.

I left Wranglers because:

1. The JLU, while very nicely improved, didn't feel vastly different than my 3 previous JKUs.
      2. The cost of a new JLU is insane.
      3. I really missed driving a low, fast, stable, predictable, and relatively fuel-efficient car
      4. Winters have become pretty mild around here, so a Wrangler now feels like overkill. Also, I can work from home, when the weather threatens to be bad. Even with a 4WD Jeep or truck, there's really no need for me to brave the elements anymore.

12. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 10:47 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      its amazing how insecure men are they are willing to put down that much money to feel good about themselves.
      Did you know? Trucks are also purchased by women and companies.

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      03-28-2019 10:49 AM #12
      not really, over 90% of truck buyers are men

https://www.truecar.com/blog/2012/04...car-com-study/
      In their unquenchable thirst for world domination, the aristocrats tax peoples time so as to keep its cattle viewed populations forever in servitude. They have gone as far as brainwashing and banning the western world that marrying your first cousin is forbidden and results in retardation... and thus have disturbed human evolutionary densities because broken families are easier to control and will better fall into debt slavery.

14. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 10:51 AM #13
      not really, over 90% of truck buyers are men

https://www.truecar.com/blog/2012/04...car-com-study/
      But almost 68.5% of those purchases were regular cab work trucks.

03-28-2019 10:54 AM #14
      Right? Just skip the power folding mirrors and power tilt/telescoping steering wheel.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

16. 03-28-2019 10:56 AM #15
      I would love to know what you specd to get a truck down to 26K?

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      03-28-2019 10:57 AM #16
      But almost 68.5% of those purchases were regular cab work trucks.
      which are not 50 grand luxo-trucks, so whats your point?

i can atest personally i have seen three conservative co-workers go out and buy 50k trucks over previously driving sedans in the last 2 years. one even spent nearly 70k on a truck, its becoming a pride/insecurity thing in what they view as an increasingly feminized world. none of them use these truck as trucks, just daily drivers.

18. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 10:57 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      Right? Just skip the power folding mirrors and power tilt/telescoping steering wheel.
      blasphemy!!!

90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado (SOLD) :: 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec :: 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec :: 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air (SOLD) :: 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ (SOLD) :: 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion (SOLD) :: 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion :: 17 Jetta GLI SE - Wifes daily

19. 03-28-2019 10:58 AM #18
      RAM Tradesman with Power Wagon package for me and I'm good. Kudos to RAM for offering a real work truck with all the good stuff and none of the fluff.

20. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 10:59 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      Easy. Sierra 1500 regular cab 8 ft bed, 4x4, locking diff, plow package, chrome package, but basic radio, cloth, and no power mirrors or windows. MSRP 31k, 5k cash back incentive during a "truck month" sales event.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-28-2019 11:00 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6579/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3950/overview/
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

22. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 11:05 AM #21
      IMO, those are company/work trucks

i mean i understand getting a truck down to be under 30k and im not knocking it, but damn!!!! this is bare ****ing bones!!!

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      03-28-2019 11:08 AM #22
      These living room trucks are like college these days: way too expensive and completely unnecessary, yet we keep on buying them. Gotta have that image!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      03-28-2019 11:08 AM #23
      Never passed by any Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and or any other luxury car brand.
      Wearing a disguise, and pretending to be someone else?

That goes against all my instincts as a actor...

25. Nobody messes with me. Not. 😂 ChillOutPossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 11:11 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubs kopfschuss GLI View Post
      IMO, those are company/work trucks

i mean i understand getting a truck down to be under 30k and im not knocking it, but damn!!!! this is bare ****ing bones!!!
      Lol. "Bare ****ing bones" is a 68 Beetle. The first truck linked has 4x4, pleather interior, full color info display, cruise control, steering wheel audio controls, bluetooth, power mirrors windows and locks, automatic headlights, air conditioning, and a backup camera. Surely you can't be serious.

26. Member vdubs kopfschuss GLI's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-28-2019 11:16 AM #25
      Lol. "Bare ****ing bones" is a 68 Beetle. The first truck linked has 4x4, pleather interior, full color info display, cruise control, steering wheel audio controls, bluetooth, power mirrors windows and locks, automatic headlights, air conditioning, and a backup camera. Surely you can't be serious.
      almost all of those options are just about standard these days, besides 4x4 and backup camera, so yea, im pretty serious.

lol i would rather get a ghia over a new truck anyway.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast